Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Kid V wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing Economics (20 creds), Philosophy (15 creds), English (15 creds) and then whatever electives that jump out at me. Where can you find a list of all these electives??? I've been all over the UCD website.

Well, the list of all modules is here anyway - http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/course_search.html, just click on 2008/09 Modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

A few questions. Sorry if they've been asked already.

I'm doing Arts DN012

What time can you begin choosing subjects at on friday??

Can you still pick them if your survey info on your personal registration page is incomplete (even though it clearly is!) ??

I was thinking of doing Economics (20 creds), Philosophy (15 creds), English (15 creds) and then whatever electives that jump out at me. Where can you find a list of all these electives??? I've been all over the UCD website.

I'd be very grateful for any help :) Thanks
    6:30 a.m. on Friday is the most likely time you can start to register modules. It could be 3 a.m. depending on the system. Yes you can still register modules, don't forget to click 'continue' at the bottom of every page to complete them.

There is no 'list' of electives. Electives cover the entire UCD curriculum, search all modules here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Thanks for all your help :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

Haven't heard anything about accommodation,
    I live in Kilkenny
    What does this mean?
    Starting in a week, You'd think they'd let us know by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

A few questions. Sorry if they've been asked already.

I'm doing Arts DN012

What time can you begin choosing subjects at on friday??

Can you still pick them if your survey info on your personal registration page is incomplete (even though it clearly is!) ??

I'd be very grateful for any help :) Thanks

be seeing you in philosopy Kid V :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Is it possible to take 7 modules in the first semester, and 5 in the second? And if it is, would one be recommended not to, and just stick with 6 and 6?

Aard wrote: »
    Is it possible to take 7 modules in the first semester, and 5 in the second? And if it is, would one be recommended not to, and just stick with 6 and 6?
    It is possible to take 7 (5 credit) modules in a semester. You can take up to 40 credits in a semester, 70 in an academic year. 7 shouldn't be a big problem as long as you keep up with the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Haven't heard anything about accommodation,
    I live in Kilkenny
    What does this mean?
    Starting in a week, You'd think they'd let us know by now

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but anyone I know from Kilkenny didnt get it last year. Thats not to say you wont get it, but go looking quickly for another plce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Has-been-answered-50-million-times-whole-thread-dedicated-to-electives...

Yes you can take up to 70 credits in an academic year. Yes you have to pay around e350 per extra credit module. No they don't count as credit next year, unless you assign it to year two.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm trying to decide on my electives and I'm just wondering if I should be considering the times the modules I;m interested are on at. For example, if I have a core module with a lecture at 9-10 on a Monday morning, would I be righ to say that I have to try and choose a module that does NOT have a lecture on at this time as my elective...?

Stupid question really, I know I can't be in 2 places at once but I'm just checking because all the modules I'm interested in seem to clash with my core lectures >.<

Ok, I'm trying to decide on my electives and I'm just wondering if I should be considering the times the modules I;m interested are on at. For example, if I have a core module with a lecture at 9-10 on a Monday morning, would I be righ to say that I have to try and choose a module that does NOT have a lecture on at this time as my elective...?

Stupid question really, I know I can't be in 2 places at once but I'm just checking because all the modules I'm interested in seem to clash with my core lectures >.<
    Yes - avoid timetable clashes. When you go to register an elective it will tell you whether it clashes with another lecture/lab/tut with a little red X. Just check if the core, or elective, has a different time offering and you might be able to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Me again :D

I'm now thinking of doing Economics (20 or 15 creds) Philosophy (10 or 15 creds) English (10 creds) History (10 creds)

How would this affect my subject choices for second year?? And would it be wise to take on so much (4 subjects plus 2 electives) ??

Thanks

Me again :D

I'm now thinking of doing Economics (20 or 15 creds) Philosophy (10 or 15 creds) English (10 creds) History (10 creds)

How would this affect my subject choices for second year?? And would it be wise to take on so much (4 subjects plus 2 electives) ??

Thanks
    Economics needs Micro, Macro, and Quants to progress to year two - so that's 15 credits minimum there, to keep options open. I don't know about the others - I assume you'd find out about that on the website.

Most 5 credit modules require between 100-120 hours to complete so technically it shouldn't be harder than if you were to stick with three, 20 credit, subjects. But, it is easier when you only have to focus on a few areas. However, it really shouldn't be a problem unless you fall behind on assignments/readings/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

How can I view just in-programme electives? I'd like to take my electives in the area of my course (DN020 A+F Studies). Do I have to wait until module registration day to view in programme electives?

alan4cult wrote: »
    How can I view just in-programme electives? I'd like to take my electives in the area of my course (DN020 A+F Studies). Do I have to wait until module registration day to view in programme electives?
    Yes - you have to wait until tomorrow to view the module registration page. I'd assume your in programme electives would be Maths, Statistics, and Economics (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

When registering for modules, it doesn't give the option of selecting tutorial timeslots. Is this done automatically for you, or do you have to do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

When registering for modules, it doesn't give the option of selecting tutorial timeslots. Is this done automatically for you, or do you have to do it yourself?

it seems for me that a lot of the modules only have one available time and its automatically put into your calendar. thats the way it was with me anyways. hope it works out :D

I have the same question! I was only asked to register for one lab practical, for all my other modules with labs/tutorials it says "Automatically registered". However, there is definitely more than one time slot for all of them, plus none of them are showing up on my timetable...? All I have is lectures and one lab showing up.

I have the same question! I was only asked to register for one lab practical, for all my other modules with labs/tutorials it says "Automatically registered". However, there is definitely more than one time slot for all of them, plus none of them are showing up on my timetable...? All I have is lectures and one lab showing up.
    There's a few possibilities: The option to pick a time for the lab/tut could come up at a later time; you could be given a list of times and told to go to any that best fits your timetable; or you may have to register for the lab/tut in person. The system could also choose one for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

I'm a bit confused about registering for modules here. I'm going into 1st year science omnibus and it says to pick my subject stream. Does selecting one now mean that's the one I'll have to take for my major or is this just to set the core modules and that I can choose my major at a later stage?

rgt320q wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about registering for modules here. I'm going into 1st year science omnibus and it says to pick my subject stream. Does selecting one now mean that's the one I'll have to take for my major or is this just to set the core modules and that I can choose my major at a later stage?
    Read:
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/first_science.ezc

Some majors require that you take specific classes in first & second year science. Click on your desired major and see if it has any requirements. You don't pick a specific major for your degree in year one, just be careful of your choices.
    Edit:
    The BSc Omnibus route allows you to study a number of Science subjects in Stage 1 (First year). In Stage 2 (Second year), you have the option of pursuing up to 3 different subjects and at the end of Stage 2, you choose your major subject for Stage 3 (Third year) and Stage 4 (Fourth year). You can choose to major in one subject or in two subjects. Each subject in the Omnibus programme has a limit on the number of places available.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Ah thanks. I'm interested in pharmacology and genetics. Same module requirements, just not sure which I want to major in, wasn't sure if I had to make the choice now.

RE-EDIT: nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Going into first year Arts Omnibus...

On my timetable I have a Tutorial on the Tuesday, and then the actual lecture for that subject on the Thursday.

Is that going to cause problems? Surely it's a bit backward..

Going into first year Arts Omnibus...

On my timetable I have a Tutorial on the Tuesday, and then the actual lecture for that subject on the Thursday.

Is that going to cause problems? Surely it's a bit backward..
    Tutorials aren't on during the first week. Usually they cover material you did in the previous week or a lecturer will give assignments to be covered in the following week's tutorial. Depends on the subject, really, what you do in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Cheers,

So for example, I'd have a lecture on Thursday 18th, and then go over that material the following week on Tuesday the 23rd in a tutorial? Or maybe get given an assignment on the Thursday which is due for the Tuesday.

Is that a normal / acceptable way of doing it? Just want to make sure I'm not making a mess of my timetable!

Aye, that could happen. Sometimes you're given notice in a tutorial that you need to have an essay done for, say, 2 weeks time, or the lecturer will tell you. It all depends on the subject, different Schools have different methods.

Ok, this just showed up on my welcome page:

Time Conflict on Wednesday at 1400 between PHYS20030 - Physiology of the internal env (18321 ) and ANAT10120 - Clinical Human Anatomy II (33685)
    Please check for other offerings.

Thing is, there are no other offerings, and both these are core modules for my porgramme. What to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Hi UCD_Econ (I'm directing this at you as you have all the answers!!)

Quick question bout extra modules (I know :rolleyes:). See I'm a mature student & as I didnt do leaving cert so I've to do 2 Level 0 modules (this is in Science Om btw). I'm thinking along the lines of doing Geology as a major, but am really interested in Astronomy & Space Science & there are 2 modules I have to do *I think* if I want to pursue it more in the 2nd year to leave my options open.

So to the question, if I do decide to take the extra 2 modules.....do you know the procedure? I know you have to pay but I mean when is it possible to add them on etc (I registered my main modules this morn) or can you point me in the right direction? Thanking you!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ok, this just showed up on my welcome page:

Time Conflict on Wednesday at 1400 between PHYS20030 - Physiology of the internal env (18321 ) and ANAT10120 - Clinical Human Anatomy II (33685)
    Please check for other offerings.

Thing is, there are no other offerings, and both these are core modules for my porgramme. What to do?
    Have you tried checking with your program office?

Advertisement