Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Fresher's Week is when every club and society in UCD harasses you to join. It's usually the second week of term - if you play your cards right you can leave with a lot of free stuff. Certain societies have better free stuff than others - and the supply of Pixie Sticks is useful :D

It says the course starts after orientation, so what happens the week before and during the week?

Sorry wfor all the questions :o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not sure what date orientation is on, but as far as I know your lectures should start on the 8th of September, and Freshers Week (separate from Orientation) starts on the 15th in a large tent beside the student centre.

And don't worry, I was worse before I started in UCD 6 years ago with the questions!

Random Chatbox - for the past few years they've given out a flash drive at the end of the freshers IT induction - which is usually in the Daedalus building, beside the admin building.
    UCD_Econ wrote: »
    You'll get a map in your welcome pack. The IT services do a quick course on how to use connect and other things. You get a free USB drive.

I know about the USB key guys and I have a map but I couldnt get to any open days because of a lot of things tbh

There'll be plenty of people around working to help new first years with orientation if you get lost, don't be afraid to ask them.

There'll be plenty of people around working to help new first years with orientation if you get lost, don't be afraid to ask them.

Ah do that's the one thing I have going for me,I'm not afraid to look like an idiot:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I might be one of them, I applied to become an orientation guide:pac:

Are there any things you would have done first again if you had the chance?

I might be one of them, I applied to become an orientation guide:pac:
    Will see you there on tuesday/wedesday if so:D

Are there any things you would have done first again if you had the chance?

I'd have gone to more of the "get to know your class" type stuff. That's about it, first year in general went pretty damn well for me, though in my day there was none of this Horizons bull****!

Also if you plan on joining the gym, certain sports clubs have reduced rates (ask around during Fresher's Week) - you'll pay maybe €15 to join that club but you'll get more than that off the cost of your gym membership.

I'd have gone to more of the "get to know your class" type stuff. That's about it, first year in general went pretty damn well for me, though in my day there was none of this Horizons bull****!

Also if you plan on joining the gym, certain sports clubs have reduced rates (ask around during Fresher's Week) - you'll pay maybe €15 to join that club but you'll get more than that off the cost of your gym membership.

That may comin handy :D very handy:) thanks.never used the thanks button so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

NU8 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you get money or anything if you get an entrance exhibition award thing, I checked the website but it's not clear.

-I don't want to sound greedy but I'm already broke and college hasn't even started yet.

AFAIK It's just a fancy cert and a note on your transcript.

The entrance scholars get money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Anyone know what the story is with getting a locker? I imagine you need to be in early (if it's anything like TCD!) Are they given out during orientation week or the first week of term?

1st or second week of term. There's always notices up about it in all the buildings. They're generally given out at specific times.

Something like 10/15e and you get a fiver back at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Anyone received their welcome pack yet? I though it was supposed to arrive on Mon/Tue :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

dip wrote: »
    Anyone received their welcome pack yet? I though it was supposed to arrive on Mon/Tue :(
    They were posted on the day the CAO offers went out so just sit tight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

Xhristy wrote: »

Me too:D, but it isn't really useful yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What time do lectures finish up on Fridays? I live in Mayo so would need to get a train home. And if you don't go home for the weekend is there much to do on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

alan4cult wrote: »
    What time do lectures finish up on Fridays? I live in Mayo so would need to get a train home. And if you don't go home for the weekend is there much to do on campus?

Depends on your timetable. Ya pretty much hope for no lectures Friday, and then just try avoid tutorials on Friday. No official time as such that they finish, it varies daily and depending on course.

• Advertisement

It depends on your course - classes can go up to 6 p.m.

It depends on your course - classes can go up to 6 p.m.

If you do language ones, they can go later, i've know friends to have them between 6 and 8pm.

If you do language ones, they can go later, i've know friends to have them between 6 and 8pm.
    Ouch - 8 p.m. on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ouch - 8 p.m. on a Friday.

Actually think Film Studies can go on late enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

Got a letter about the Quinn school laptop requirement today, are the discounted laptops offered from Dell worth getting? or would it be ok to try and get a better (or cheaper) laptop from the Dell website?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

When does ucd start? (ill be doin computer science) Anyone else startin computers in ucd?

8th of September is the first lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Xhristy wrote: »
    So did I. Can we register and apply for accommodation now. It seems to be allowing me to fill out the forms but I'm scared to click submit as it says I can't register till tomorrow

• Advertisement

Just a note, and I'm not being mean, but most of us wouldn't have a notion what the course codes are, you're probably better off using the actual titles of courses so we know what you're talking about!

Advertisement