Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I meant more, if you already have it completed (as you need to, in order to pay your fees, get a student card etc.) can you then *change* it afterwards. Or once you have registered, is it the case that you can't change it?
    Yes, you can change before the 19th without penalty (first semester modules).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah, fresh meat!

Welcome to CS - we have cookies :)

Language modules taken at level 1 are always easy passes - particularly Spanish and Japanese.

On a bitchier note though: Apparently they want me to pay full EU fees this year. And I have no idea why, as I have never even attempted 4th year in any course before. I'm getting on to them about it, but if they say I have to pay full EU fees I can't come back to college. Which ****ing sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Im going into the arts omnibus thing, does anyone know the chances of getting into a particular module/class like history? Are there some that are much more popular than others?

Raemie wrote: »
    Im going into the arts omnibus thing, does anyone know the chances of getting into a particular module/class like history? Are there some that are much more popular than others?
    Some classes are more popular than others - Just fill in registration on the 29th and you should get what you want. Usually if a class gets very overbooked they change the lecture theatre to facilitate the extra people. I'd say history would nearly always be in Th. L which holds 500+ people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Uncle Joe

Hey,i got accepted for Business and Law (DN021) and was wondering if i can choose modules from outside my degree(politics for example)??.I tried looking around the UCD web site but cant find a straight answer...

• Advertisement

Hey,i got accepted for Business and Law (DN021) and was wondering if i can choose modules from outside my degree(politics for example)??.I tried looking around the UCD web site but cant find a straight answer...

Edit: Actually sorry you can't - B&L doesn't have electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Uncle Joe

AHH damn it....i had a suspicion i couldnt...ah well,cheers anyway

Well, you could take a politics class but it would be an extra credit elective. That means you would have to pay for the class and it's more than the 60 credits a year that the majority of people take.

I wouldn't take that option unless you really want to do a class in politics. You can take 70 credits a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

Double chocolate chip with oatmeal and raisin, of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Double chocolate chip with oatmeal and raisin, of course :)

Seriously considering rejecting med and applying for CS now, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Seriously considering rejecting med and applying for CS now, lol

Ah but you have the Medsoc Cheese and Wine Reception...

You can't have cookies without milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 irelands_call

great thread, v informative already!
    have 2 questions for anyone who may be able to help. I'm starting veterinary in sept.
    (1) Anyone that did 1st year vet last year have a timetable? Trying to get an idea of total number of lecture/practical hours per week. is it a hectic schedule?
    (2) As I have already gone through university, I've to pay fees (9300 , booh! ). Anyway, as if this won't break me enough, do ye know do i have to pay registration fees on top of this or is this included in the fees?

thanks guys.

Irelands Call - the registration fee is included in the €9,300 fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 irelands_call

that's good news - thank you for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Raemie wrote: »

You dont pick classes in history, you do what they tell you. That is if you do it as a joint major or minor. If you are doing single honours history you get to pick classes.

For anyone doing arts I would recommend doing Greek and Roman Civilisation, it is a great subject with smaller classes come second year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

Does anyone know if you get money or anything if you get an entrance exhibition award thing, I checked the website but it's not clear.

-I don't want to sound greedy but I'm already broke and college hasn't even started yet.

Doesn't seem to say anywhere on the site, might be worth sending an email to the student desk to ask them. They've changed the scholarship system since I was in first year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

What hapens during Orientation?

What hapens during Orientation?

Go to a meeting thing where Hugh Brady says you are all deadly and UCD is deadly. Get a campus tour off orientation guides. Get free stuff. If you want you can go to the orientation events, barbeques and stuff like that are put on. If you have any problems registering or admin problems in general do it at 9AM as the Tierney building is a nightmare at that time of year.

The only orientation event worth going to is the one that gives a free flash drive. Unfortunately, at this stage I look a little old to pretend to be a fresher to go and get one!

Go to a meeting thing where Hugh Brady says you are all deadly and UCD is deadly. Get a campus tour off orientation guides. Get free stuff. If you want you can go to the orientation events, barbeques and stuff like that are put on. If you have any problems registering or admin problems in general do it at 9AM as the Tierney building is a nightmare at that time of year.

Thanks.
    How is freshers week different or are they the same thing:confused:?

Freshers week is societies and clubs getting people to join.

The only orientation event worth going to is the one that gives a free flash drive. Unfortunately, at this stage I look a little old to pretend to be a fresher to go and get one!

I really don't know my way round the place:o
    I don't have a clue.

Fresher's Week is when every club and society in UCD harasses you to join. It's usually the second week of term - if you play your cards right you can leave with a lot of free stuff. Certain societies have better free stuff than others - and the supply of Pixie Sticks is useful :D

Random Chatbox - for the past few years they've given out a flash drive at the end of the freshers IT induction - which is usually in the Daedalus building, beside the admin building.

• Advertisement

I really don't know my way round the place:o
    I don't have a clue.
    You'll get a map in your welcome pack. The IT services do a quick course on how to use connect and other things. You get a free USB drive.

Advertisement