Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

S/he is talking about Computer Science or Computer science through Arts. DN050 is the Arts one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I guessed as much when they said they were doing Comp Sci as that's other comp sci course.

It was just a general thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What's the deal with the levels on modules? As a 1st year student which level should I be looking at?

There's 3 levels you can take as a first year Level 0,1 and 2.

Level 0 is for languages that your starting from scratch.

Level one is what most are generally in first year and are introductory level.

You can also chose level 2 which are slightly harder.

All of your cores should be Level 1 IIRC.

What's the deal with the levels on modules? As a 1st year student which level should I be looking at?
    You can do any level module as you like as long as you satisfy the eligible fields - So say you do a level two module elective which has no prerequistes and then leads onto a level three module - you can take that too. It's rare that you can do that, though. Follow Stepherunie's advice of level 0, 1, and 2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

This is pretty much the same question I asked before but phrased better to hopefully make more sense. So sorry in advance. Just slightly confused.

When registering online for your course, can you complete all sections apart from the fee paying part? Or would I be better off registering in person, in the college? Is there a particular day for people in different courses to register? Or can I just head into the college when online registration begins and do it in person?

This is pretty much the same question I asked before but phrased better to hopefully make more sense. So sorry in advance. Just slightly confused.

When registering online for your course, can you complete all sections apart from the fee paying part? Or would I be better off registering in person, in the college? Is there a particular day for people in different courses to register? Or can I just head into the college when online registration begins and do it in person?
    I think you can register your classes without paying - you just can't pick up your student card, I could be wrong on that though. You're not a 'fully registered student' until you pay.

Register online in my opinon - unless there's some specific problem with doing that.

You're an incoming CAO student? If so then you register on the 29th of August - All courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Thanks for your help. :)
    The reason I'm confused is that I dont have to pay the fees as my Dad works in UCD and gets a Staff Fee Concession. So will just have to explain that situation when registering or getting my student card. Thanks again.

The reason I'm confused is that I dont have to pay the fees as my Dad works in UCD and gets a Staff Fee Concession. So will just have to explain that situation when registering or getting my student card. Thanks again.
    Ahh ok, now I understand. You're best bet might be to contact the fees and grants office.

http://www.ucd.ie/fees/contact.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

AFAIK 1st year students can collect their cards without paying fees (think it has something to do with the number of students waiting for confirmation of the grant from their local authorities). Either way, paying the student centre levy (€150) will get you a student card each year...worked for me in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

A few questions about entrance scholarships...How are the cut off points for each course calculated?How often does it happen that they change?If I get an upgrade and make the threshold,will I still be awarded a scholarship?

Thought I had a good shot at one with me leaving,ended up 5 points outside what I need.Sickened!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They've changed it from the entrance scholarship system that I remember - there are Entrance Exhibitions and Entrance Scholarships now. Exhibitions go to everyone with over 540 points, not sure if you get anything nice. Entrance Scholars get some money, they are the people entering each course with the highest points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

A few questions about entrance scholarships...How are the cut off points for each course calculated?How often does it happen that they change?If I get an upgrade and make the threshold,will I still be awarded a scholarship?

Thought I had a good shot at one with me leaving,ended up 5 points outside what I need.Sickened!
    There's a cut off, above which you get the scholarship.
    I'm also five points off :(
    They don't award them till after the rechecks so if you get an upgrade and make the cut you get it.
    It's all here http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/entrance.pdf

Those are only estimates though!

A lot of them will be true, such as 600 for vet and med and stuff, but others may fluctuate, it's purely dependent on the students entering the course each year.

A lot of them will be true, such as 600 for vet and med and stuff, but others may fluctuate, it's purely dependent on the students entering the course each year.
    The link says different though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

my friend got the money for his best maths result of his year:pac:i was frustrated:p

33% God wrote: »
    The link says different though :confused:

The link says anticipated levels. It won't be definitive until after all the rechecks are completed.

The link says anticipated levels. It won't be definitive until after all the rechecks are completed.
    I didn;t see anticipated anywhere.

Top of the column with all the Points in it.

Top of the column with all the Points in it.
    Ahh I see. I was misled by point no.17 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

ok is anyone else here just going into 1st year and trying to register??

if so then please god help me.......

basically all the info in the "how to register online" booklet is confusing the hell outta me.it says in there that you can begin registration within 3 days of accepting.but after i log into everything and get into SIS its saying that my time for registration has not yet arrived.its just puzzling me a bit.

also everything it describes in the booklet, like all the instructions of places to click have not appeared for me.

help????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lux.

I'm presuming you accepted the offer on Monday? That was only two days ago, you should be able to register tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

HI, this question is probably to UCD econ, is there any financial help available in the college it self for first year students? I have applyed for a grant and a scholarship already... but still havent got a clue whether any of them would be successful or not...

Should i visit a student union or what are my options?

Yuugib wrote: »
    HI, this question is probably to UCD econ, is there any financial help available in the college it self for first year students? I have applyed for a grant and a scholarship already... but still havent got a clue whether any of them would be successful or not...

Should i visit a student union or what are my options?
    I believe there is a student support fund. I'm really not the best person to explain anything about the UCDSU (UCD student Union). I'm sure there are a few SU people here who might know about that.

Just got a quote from a website.. 14,850.... my bjesus.. 0_0 help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yuugib wrote: »
    Just got a quote from a website.. 14,850.... my bjesus.. 0_0 help!
    Whats that a quote for? Accomadation?

Nah, just the fee it self i think.. i skipped the accommodation part.. thats what came up after registering.. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Don't tell me I have to pay 14850 to get into college? I thought it was around 1000 or so. Free Fees I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I'm going into the Arts Omnibus course.

I'll be away on holiday on the 29th, the registration day some of you guys have been talking about, and won't be home until the 31st. Can i choose my various classes/electives before I leave (24th) or can it only be done on that day or what?

And also, how exactly do i select my various classes/electives? Is it a form I fill in online or what!?

Thanks for the help:o

• Advertisement

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I'm going into the Arts Omnibus course.

I'll be away on holiday on the 29th, the registration day some of you guys have been talking about, and won't be home until the 31st. Can i choose my various classes/electives before I leave (24th) or can it only be done on that day or what?

And also, how exactly do i select my various classes/electives? Is it a form I fill in online or what!?

Thanks for the help:o
    It's a system you fill in online. You should have got a little booklet in the post with pictures and guidelines. Also, you can't fill it in before the 29th - just personal information. Fill it in on the 31st when you get home.

Advertisement