Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

watch it mate, at least 4 times more likely to get skin cancer living here than most other places in the world.

and aww :( the only thing that was making me feel really positive about going to melbourne was all the surfing i'd get to do. now ive discovered a pretty bad ding in my board, letting in the water and the sand... gonna cost nearly as much as the board did to fix it, now the question is... do i do that, or sell it and buy a new one?

man, i *DO NOT* need that kinda expense now, im outta work till probably february :eek:

That's unfortunate. The other thing to factor in is the cost of transporting it to Melbourne. Surely it will cost you a few quid to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just kick me while im down, why dont ya?!

ah, should be alright, at this piont, ive kinda stopped caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

do i do that, or sell it and buy a new one?
    Personally I would sell it and pick up another board when you get here. You will probably pick up a board for a resonable price on Ebay in pretty good condition if you can't afford a new one straight off. So when are you planning on making the move because Autumn is a great time to surf here?

just kick me while im down, why dont ya?!

ah, should be alright, at this piont, ive kinda stopped caring.

Lol! Didn't mean to kick you! Just making sure you don't get a nasty surprise when you get to the airport!
    There's always a few boards on Gumtree, I'm thinking of getting one myself. Saw one the other day which said "For sale - 6'2" board: Perfect for beginnner". I had to laugh!

^ lmao, 6"2, perfect for a beginner... when i told my instructors (who im quite friendly with at this stage) that i was getting a 7"4 fibreglass one (as opposed to nsp), they made funny faces and asked me if i was sure that was a good idea :D a 6"2 would turn you off trying to learn!

dSTAR wrote: »
    Personally I would sell it and pick up another board when you get here. You will probably pick up a board for a resonable price on Ebay in pretty good condition if you can't afford a new one straight off. So when are you planning on making the move because Autumn is a great time to surf here?

brought it in to the repair guy today, he reckons it's defniitely salvagable, will definitely be able to repair it and keep it going for a few years yet, and probably still sell it and get the same price for it that i got it for (though admittedly, i have spent a lil bit on repairing a small ding,a nd the footrope). but he did also joke that there was so much water in tehre we could probably put a fish in there. basically, ive to put some holes in it, get all teh water out and let the whole thing dry up, then he can repair it for a hundy. in the meantime, i jsut gota duct tape up the left rail whenever i go out, and let it all out when i get back in :D poor eddy's gonna look a right state, but it'll work otu :)

yeah, contemplating picking up another board in oz, supposed to be more widely available, and consequently cheaper there... adn ill be over in melbourne this weekend, adn then moving properly on the 15th :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Happy Xmas all!

Hope the weather holds up for all ye doing out door stuff tomorrow.

bah, my board's still preparing for surgery, no surfing for me today. *humbug*

but ive got a good feeling about this one!

nollag shona daoibh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yellowknife

Anybody have any comments on Australian people themselves? Do you find them easy to get on with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Parents just left after visiting for two weeks. We had the most fab holiday - really good but I'm so depressed now. My holiday is over, I have to go back to work and I don't know when I'm going home or when I'll see my parents again. :(

Why is NZ just so far away?

The only solution is to drink a bottle of wine. We went wine tasting in Marlborough for a day on bikes (Seriously, do it!) so at least I have a lot of wine to choose one. I think I bought a bottle in every vineyard we visited!

@Crumble... I'm too depressed to write a long pm but my battery went before Christchurch and I had no charger with me (smart, I know!) so I couldn't get in touch. We were only there new year's eve anyway so I didn 't have much time. I'm going back the Ch Ch in June on a mini holiday with a friend from work so how about a mini boards beers then? We can see is there anyone else around then.

That's unfortunate. The other thing to factor in is the cost of transporting it to Melbourne. Surely it will cost you a few quid to do that?

ahHA! im flying virgin/pacific blue, and apparently they just treat all surfboards as 5kg, so as long as the rest of the luggage isnt more than 15kg, we're all gravy :)
    watna wrote: »
    Parents just left after visiting for two weeks. We had the most fab holiday - really good but I'm so depressed now. My holiday is over, I have to go back to work and I don't know when I'm going home or when I'll see my parents again. :(

awwww... *hugs*

it'll come. look on the bright side... you have work, just keep saving it up, and you'll never know what 'll come your way. dont end up like me, with no money, and nowhere to go! not a good lifestyle.
    The only solution is to drink a bottle of wine. We went wine tasting in Marlborough for a day on bikes (Seriously, do it!) so at least I have a lot of wine to choose one. I think I bought a bottle in every vineyard we visited!

haha, awesome. ok, so i hate wine. but been to a winery in kaikoura (for a wedding) and one at rossendales in chch, for work with dinner. dinner with work. whatever. and were quite nice locations. dinner at rossendales was made more interesting, as twas a posh place, and one of the company was dressed entirely as a reindeer (courtesy of the warehouse), in order to get us to pay for his meal :D
    @Crumble... I'm too depressed to write a long pm but my battery went before Christchurch and I had no charger with me (smart, I know!) so I couldn't get in touch. We were only there new year's eve anyway so I didn 't have much time. I'm going back the Ch Ch in June on a mini holiday with a friend from work so how about a mini boards beers then? We can see is there anyone else around then.

oh noes!

ok, ill do my utmost to be allowed back in teh country by june!

your application cost $700 cos twas a residency one, right?

so work sponsored by partnership will cost less, right? right?

dammit, ive been avoiding ringing them for so long.

gotta ring soon and figure out if i can use the medical results of my last medical, cos i do NOT have $400 to shell out on another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donnie brasco

wha s up playa s, im headin to Perth next month and a have my visa and flights booked one way.
    im a 4th yr apprentice bricklayer, and i have to go to work to finish off my trade.
    anyways i was just wondering if any1 could give me some info,
    hostels?
    where to look for a nice place?
    where to look for work?
    Im flying over on my own, so im a little apprenhensive on these things?

cheers
    Don

Work sponsored by partnership is $280. I also have to apply for this visa in the next few weeks. It's highly unlikely my residency will come through in time. Apparently the work permit takes two months.

I'll believe that when I see it!

Fingers crossed you'll be here in June!

70 working days down here, apparently. approx 4 months. few public holidays etc the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Back to work tomorrow after over 2 weeks off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

watna wrote: »

Eh, NZ gets an extra days holidays after new year!! i was in work on jan 2nd! We looked at the NZ branches home pages and it was like "ooh ye, its officially the day after new years day! Happy public holiday etc etc"! jammy gits!

watna wrote:
    Parents just left after visiting for two weeks. We had the most fab holiday - really good but I'm so depressed now. My holiday is over, I have to go back to work and I don't know when I'm going home or when I'll see my parents again.
    Awww sweetie. I feel your pain. I haven't seen my family since 2001. Its around these times that you really begin to comprehend how far away Australia and New Zealand is. Huggage to you.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Back to work tomorrow after over 2 weeks off :(
    Me too. Trying to motivate myself to get going this morning. Might need another cup of coffee before I head off :(

Happy New Year folks!

Hope ye all had a crackin Christmas. I headed down the Great Ocean road for about 9 days. Was at Falls Festival (absolutely epic) for 3 days and Torquay for the rest. Back in Melbourne now, have this week off work :D but not looking forward to going back next week!:mad:

Back in Melbourne now, have this week off work :D but not looking forward to going back next week!:mad:
    adn ill be over in melbourne this weekend, adn then moving properly on the 15th :)
    Might have to organize a Melbourne Beers soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol how many of yis are there now? 2? thats not a beers!! thats a beer!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lol how many of yis are there now? 2? thats not a beers!! thats a beer!
    Even if I have to entice some liggers and hangers-on to front up so it looks like we have a crowd I will. The reputation of this fine city as the capital of cool rests on YOUR heads boys and girls ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'll go to a Melbourne beers. I know I've said as much before, but I've moved house now so taking a night off isn't such a drama of clearing it with other people. I'm coming in from Kilmore, which is 60kms due north of the CBD, so I arrive at Spencer Street Station. Subsequently I'd rather beer somewhere that isn't a billion light years from there (Prahran, for instance) because it just makes it too hard.

I'll go to a Melbourne beers...
    OK cool ... new thread opened and taking applications.

Just had another extremely frustrating conversation with immigration NZ. To help my work permit application they ask that you attach evidence of qualifications. The only evidence I have from my degree is my certificate hanging on my parents wall. It's in Latin - so according to immigration NZ I have to find a latin teacher to translate it, then get it notarised then submit it. It's madness! My dad doesn't have any other record of my degree so methinks I'll have to find someone in Trinity to stalk and get some kind of transcript or something.... one that's in English.

Seriously, every time I'm on the phone to these people I end up in tears, usually of frustration.

ARRRRRGGGHH! Found out that Death Cab For Cutie are coming to Perth for the second time in 6 months......when I'm back in Ireland in Feb. Disgusted.

ARRRRRGGGHH! Found out that Death Cab For Cutie are coming to Perth for the second time in 6 months......when I'm back in Ireland in Feb. Disgusted.

Give me your ticket and you can stay in Aus. Problem solved, we're all happy!

Ha ha nice try.

I'll actually be in Denmark on the date of the gig for a football match so it's not a bad consolation prize!

Ha ha nice try.

I'll actually be in Denmark on the date of the gig for a football match so it's not a bad consolation prize!

Boo-urns to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im seriously thinking about packing everything in and just moving to Australia or something. Ive put minimal thought into it, but just to think about it, is it feasible to move out there and find a job to just support a normal life like rent and social life? Or would one need something lined up?

:(

Recipe for disaster deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

A proper ****ing answer wouldnt go astray, if you dont have anything constructive to say.

Advertisement