Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    Im coming out of an electronic engineering course this year and I'm thinking of leavig Ireland cos job prospects are very bad.

I assume I'd have very little chance of getting a job as a graduate in the engineering industry? Would I have any chance of getting anything decent?

If not how is the job scene for normal jobs like working in shops and stuff?

Anyone got a link to a thread where there's discussions about visas? I'm hoping they're still easy to get...

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

job scene here is rapidly becoming like the job scene back home. i was even checking local supermarkets if they're hiring, and they're all cutting back shifts. im finding it pretty tough, i'd defiitely make sure i'd plenty saved up if i was to actually plan coming here right now (im here under sort of rushed, pressured circumstances).

job scene here is rapidly becoming like the job scene back home. i was even checking local supermarkets if they're hiring, and they're all cutting back shifts. im finding it pretty tough, i'd defiitely make sure i'd plenty saved up if i was to actually plan coming here right now (im here under sort of rushed, pressured circumstances).

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be too unhappy with just getting a job in a supermarket or something like that for a couple of months if I had to...

I know it's a fairly vague question, but how much do you think would be a good amount of money to have saved up? Like a ballpark number - I assume 10 grand would be a lot, how would five grand be?

What part of Oz are you actually in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be too unhappy with just getting a job in a supermarket or something like that for a couple of months if I had to...
    Holy crap things are grim if you are coming all the way to Australia to work in a supermarket!

dSTAR wrote: »
    Holy crap things are grim if you are coming all the way to Australia to work in a supermarket!

Beats working in a supermarket in Tralee - less rain and stabbings I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I know it's a fairly vague question, but how much do you think would be a good amount of money to have saved up? Like a ballpark number - I assume 10 grand would be a lot, how would five grand be?

What part of Oz are you actually in at the moment?

im in Sydney, and im finding it quite expensive to live here, and that's with free accommodation and no bills! though, like i said, it was a rushed decision to move here... and there really was very little planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Crumble, have you considered being a Personal Care Assistant? I can't imagine there being no work within that area, and I recall you saying that you've worked with the elderly before. Only issue is that some places will probably ask for a Certificate lll in Aged Care nowdays, but it might not be necessary. It might not be your thing, but I thought I'd raise it anyway.

yep, tonnes of requests for cert III in aged care and if that's not requested, then a valid drivers' license is. that's basically all i was looking up on the first day of jobhunting, that and disabled care. but i can't drive, and for the most part, you're expected to be able to drive...

HOWEVER, circumstances changing as they have, iwth the 30-60 day wait for the visa thing instead of the minimum 70day one...

60 days is 2 months...

im allowed stay in new zealand for up to three, as a holiday visa person.
    i may be moving back to new zealand a lot sooner than initially anticipated. but not quite getting my hopes up yet...

but if i fly in for my fella's birthday,it'll only cos me $85! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

:eek: That seems silly that you need a licence to work in aged care... the mind boggles! I'm sure a lot of places are missing out on good staff because of that stupid rule.

Well *fingers crossed* things all go well. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Keane do a search on this. Has been asked loads of times before!

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Keane do a search on this. Has been asked loads of times before!

Just looking for some up to the minute info as you can imagine, especially from people like Crumble Froo who are just starting out...

Melbourne sucks in this extreme heat esp sans air con and its going to be 43 or 44 degrees tomorrow and 40 plus degrees until Sunday.

Eish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Heat wave ftw!!!

Heat wave ftw!!!
    Only mad dogs and Englishmen Irishmen go out in this heat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Melbourne sucks in this extreme heat esp sans air con and its going to be 43 or 44 degrees tomorrow and 40 plus degrees until Sunday.

Eish :(

+1

I pity the poor b@stard who was sitting next to me on the tram yesterday. I stank to the high heavens.

Lads, tbh a handful of talcum powder or even just a blast of anti-perspirant to the bollock region is a must in this type of heat.

Only mad dogs and Englishmen Irishmen go out in this heat :p

Yeah you're right. I went for a walk at lunch time and it was horrible! 42 now.

And we've got our first training session of the year tonight! :eek:

I pity the poor b@stard who was sitting next to me on the tram yesterday. I stank to the high heavens...
    :eek: Was that you?

I demand compensation :D
    And we've got our first training session of the year tonight! :eek:
    Rather you than me. I was only out for a short while but felt like I lost weight in the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Only 42 Degrees and yer whingin like little Bitches. ya Should try workin in the Outback, I were up near Cloncurry a few years ago and it was 51 degrees workin outdoors

Feckin Victoirian SoftCocks
    :D:D:D

Only 42 Degrees and yer whingin like little Bitches. ya Should try workin in the Outback, I were up near Cloncurry a few years ago and it was 51 degrees workin outdoors
    You were probably on the bludge. It can get awfully hot in a van with the windows rolled up!

:D:D:D

Logistics Technician Maate

Movin sh!t fromone end of the mine to the other, had to wait till almost dark to move the explosives tho :eek:

did the Fuel Bowser during the heat of the day 120,000L Diesel Tank used 2 lowloaders to drag it around

• Advertisement

Logistics Technician Maate
    I thought you worked in a timber yard selling timber to chippies who construct bodgy wooden decks that collapse if more than five people stand on it. Must be gone troppo :-S

Yeah thats what I do now, havent always been doin that tho;)

And none of our products have undergone critical structural failure yet either I'll have you know

And none of our products have undergone critical structural failure yet either I'll have you know
    Mate you spend too much time on the defensive over at the CT forum dealing with hardcore skeptics and the thought police. Too much serious time ;)

No I dont, how dare you label me with such a baseless and unfounded acusation :D:D:D

No I dont, how dare you label me with such a baseless and unfounded acusation :D:D:D
    They have finally cracked you haven't they? I don't know how you do it. I spent a short time there and came away with jaw clench and a headache. :D

Sometimes its worth it, ploddin through the same old arguments over and over again mostly, but everynow and again you get to lay a new piece of information on someone, something they previously hadnt considered and it shakes their worldview to the core.

that bit can be fun, anyway if you want to discuss the CT Forum theres now an Off Topic Chat thread over there, feel free to dop in, we could do with some friendly folk

that bit can be fun, anyway if you want to discuss the CT Forum theres now an Off Topic Chat thread over there, feel free to dop in, we could do with some friendly folk
    Perhaps I will. I just find some of the hyper linear/ultra argumentative people there a little bit tedious at times with the same old robotic responses of show me proof and just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean its true! Whats worse is that they use the old trick of ridicule and accusations of not using ones critical thinking skills to wear down even the most ardent truth seeker that doesn't conform to their limited worldview.

Yeah thats what I do now, havent always been doin that tho;)

The important word here is 'critical'! This means that your product has actually fail, but not in a spectacular manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Right. Heading down by my lonesome on Tuesday, should get there Thursday. Any Boardsies hanging about Sidney?

• Advertisement

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Right. Heading down by my lonesome on Tuesday, should get there Thursday. Any Boardsies hanging about Sidney?
    Who is Sidney? :D

Seriously though there are a fair few Sydneysiders and I am sure they would be more than happy to give to a big fat Sydney welcome.

Advertisement