Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ive put minimal thought into it...
    Says it all really.

Oh and post reported for abusive tone.

Have a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A proper ****ing answer wouldnt go astray, if you dont have anything constructive to say.

There was nothing wrong with his answer.
    Making a big move with little or no future plan is looking for trouble.

Its fine if you plan on being a backpacker for a few months and travelling around, not worried about where you're gonna stay next or what causal job you'll do along the way.

If you're moving for different reasons, like the work situation in Ireland, then you need to put some thought in to where you're going, why you're going there and how much money do you need to keep you going.

Remember, you won't be the only person doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Im seriously thinking about packing everything in and just moving to Australia or something. Ive put minimal thought into it, but just to think about it, is it feasible to move out there and find a job to just support a normal life like rent and social life? Or would one need something lined up?

:(

Just a WHV or something longer? I know loads of people who have regretted not going to USA/Australia/abroad when they were young.

I quit my job and left all friends and family behind and it was the best decision ever. I do get homesick but I know I will return home one day and have no regrets.

Do you have a qualification or trade or anything? There's laods of construction work in Perth and Brisbane at the moment if that's your game. IT is fairly quiet in Sydney and Melbourne at the moment but bound to pick up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rabies wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with his answer.
    Making a big move with little or no future plan is looking for trouble.

Its fine if you plan on being a backpacker for a few months and travelling around, not worried about where you're gonna stay next or what causal job you'll do along the way.

If you're moving for different reasons, like the work situation in Ireland, then you need to put some thought in to where you're going, why you're going there and how much money do you need to keep you going.

Remember, you won't be the only person doing this.

Well that was more along the lines of a helpful answer tbh. The first option is what Im thinking of. I havent lost my job or anything, I just want a change of scenery, to travel and meet new people. Backpacking was exactly what I was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just a WHV or something longer? I know loads of people who have regretted not going to USA/Australia/abroad when they were young.

I quit my job and left all friends and family behind and it was the best decision ever. I do get homesick but I know I will return home one day and have no regrets.

Do you have a qualification or trade or anything? There's laods of construction work in Perth and Brisbane at the moment if that's your game. IT is fairly quiet in Sydney and Melbourne at the moment but bound to pick up soon.

I dont have anything. I have a year and a half left to do in an economics degree that im, quite frankly, f*cking miserable in. Thats why Im thinking of doing this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm off to the final of the Hopman Cup tennis tournament tonight. One of my favourite players ever, Marat Safin, is playing so I can't wait. He'll be up against Dominik Hrbaty so it could be a cracker.

Also a womens match and mixed doubles to look forward to. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

watna wrote: »
    Just had another extremely frustrating conversation with immigration NZ. To help my work permit application they ask that you attach evidence of qualifications. The only evidence I have from my degree is my certificate hanging on my parents wall. It's in Latin - so according to immigration NZ I have to find a latin teacher to translate it, then get it notarised then submit it. It's madness! My dad doesn't have any other record of my degree so methinks I'll have to find someone in Trinity to stalk and get some kind of transcript or something.... one that's in English.

Seriously, every time I'm on the phone to these people I end up in tears, usually of frustration.

arrrgh! that's got to be maddening, im so sorry to hear that!

im about 10days away from lodging my partnership visa now, starting to think about getting everything we need together for it... contemplating displaying all the info in scrapbook format (thoughts anyone?)... personalise it a bit, or something... though am currently waiting on my medical info from the first application in the post, cos no ****ing way am i paying $400 for all those tests agian, when they an just post it out to me...

granted, it should have been here today... but im sure it'll be here tomorrow...

*waits*

im about 10days away from lodging my partnership visa...
    Is this a 'spouse visa' whereby if you marry an Australian on New Zealand citizen you become a permanent resident?

pretty sure it's partnership, and no, we're not getting married. i get the visa to live here for another year, should be able to get residency the year after (for about $700), but yeah, it's a General Work Visa, sponsored on partnership. gotta get together photos, letters from friends and family, everything that can be found in both our names....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Well that was more along the lines of a helpful answer tbh. The first option is what Im thinking of. I havent lost my job or anything, I just want a change of scenery, to travel and meet new people. Backpacking was exactly what I was thinking.

I had a working visa for Oz so strolled in but arrived for holiday in NZ with return ticket and a credit card and they threw a major wobbly. 4 hours in the airport getting searched and drug tested simply because I hadn't bothered to book accomodation was a pain. Basically, zero-plan travelling is ill-advised.

• Advertisement

pretty sure it's partnership, and no, we're not getting married...
    I came here on a 'spouse visa'. It was a shambolic marriage from the start.

Long story ...

im sort of intrigued... good story to be told over a few drinks? :P

im sort of intrigued... good story to be told over a few drinks? :P
    Be prepared for a long night ;)

Just in from my first preseason training session and bloody hell it's hot. I was dyin after 20 minutes.

yowch. makes me so glad my sport of choice involves nice cooling water...

...y'no... till im doing it in the snow. then it gets less pleasant.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just in from my first preseason training session and bloody hell it's hot. I was dyin after 20 minutes.
    Whats up with that dude? I thought you could handle it ;)

dSTAR wrote: »
    Whats up with that dude? I thought you could handle it ;)

Lyin by the pool or swimmin in the sea I can handle, but doing sprints in 32 degrees like it was at half 10 this morning is a whole different thing.

Lyin by the pool or swimmin in the sea I can handle, but doing sprints in 32 degrees like it was at half 10 this morning is a whole different thing.
    Lol just kidding! I don't like doing anything too strenuous in the heat either unless its the wild thing!

Btw which team are you playing for?

A team called Hamersley Rovers in the WA State Amateur League.

A team called Hamersley Rovers in the WA State Amateur League.
    Someone tells me you played for Bordeaux Football Club.

Is this true?

• Advertisement

dSTAR wrote: »
    Someone tells me you played for Bordeaux Football Club.

Is this true?

Do you mean 'Boardeaux'?

Yeah I was the team's first captain.

:D

Funkin barsteward is gonna cop it!

:confused:

A well known Boards member mentioned recently that you played for Bordeaux FC.

I should have sussed that one.

Boardeaux too funny :D

Yeah the name is quality!

Who was it that said it to you?

As a journalist you should now I always protect my sources. ;)

Seriously I need to dig up that particular post because it seemed to be said in all seriousness and spelled correctly as far as I can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Still looking for an IT job. Hope it picks up this week. I suppose I had to pick the quietest time of the year to go job hunting. At least the other half got work. Im a manwife at the moment!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Back in work today. Uuugghh.
    But the boss isn't in for another 2 weeks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

By the Beard of Zeus it's warm in Melbourne today!

• Advertisement

ooh, out for a surf in just my rashie and boardies, and didtn feel even vaguely cold til id been out of the water for 15mins (damn you, wind!)... heatin up over here too, though the recent swell has cooled the water down to about 23 degrees.

Advertisement