Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

dSTAR wrote: »
    Who is Sidney? :D

Seriously though there are a fair few Sydneysiders and I am sure they would be more than happy to give to a big fat Sydney welcome.

Big guy, smells like cabbage, small hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Big guy, smells like cabbage, small hands.
    :D

Come on down to Melbourne you will fit right in with a username like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

dSTAR wrote: »
    :D

Come on down to Melbourne you will fit right in with a username like that.

Hands On Throttle And Stick?

Well half the battle is getting down there as most of the UK is now a frozen wasteland. Just my luck that I happen to be flying out of LHR today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Last day of work for a whole month! Fantastic stuff.

Off home to the Emerald Isle for a few weeks. Gonna feeze my balls off.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Have a good one mate.

Make sure you keep us up to speed with your shenanigans in Coppers and other places ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ha cheers man. Coppers is definitely on the hitlist!

Going to a fair few matches as well. First up I think I'm off to Galway to see them play Kilkenny on Sunday. Never been to a hurling match so thought I might as well go see the best. Then it's the Ireland v Georgia WC qualifier next Wednesday in Croker and the week after that I go to Copenhagen for City's Uefa Cup game there. Can't bloody wait!

Then it's the Ireland v Georgia WC qualifier next Wednesday in Croker and the week after that I go to Copenhagen for City's Uefa Cup game there. Can't bloody wait!
    Awesome. That is the only thing about being so far away from everything here. You can't just pop off for a weekend in Copenhagen or another European city to see a good game of football. Just a pity its Man City :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I hate you. I hope it rains everyday!

Nah seriously enjoy it. Try not to bring the weather (or the recession for that matter) back with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

wasnt it a recession here before it was a recession in ireland?

but duuude! get back and enjoy the snow for me! im so jealous!

and the kilkenny galway game should be amazing, i havent watched a hurling game in months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

have some superquinn sausages for me!

God I,d love some sausages and proper irish rashers now!

• Advertisement

*vegetarianism wavering*

mmmmmmmmm...... full irish breafast....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Enjoy yourself man - I just applied for my visa the other day so thanks a lot for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just started me new job this week. Im in charge of IT for all of WA for me company! lol and i have no boss this side of Oz so im on me own and can do what i want!

lets hope it doesnt come back to bite either myself, or the company, in the face! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just started me new job this week. Im in charge of IT for all of WA for me company! lol and i have no boss this side of Oz so im on me own and can do what i want!

lets hope it doesnt come back to bite either myself, or the company, in the face! :p

Fairplay man that's impressive - I'll be tapping you for a job in a couple of months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Worst day in history': Brumby warns of fire danger
    Marc Moncrief – February 6, 2009 - 12:02PM

Victorians should cancel whatever plans they may have had for tomorrow and take whatever steps necessary to prepare for what Premier John Brumby is calling the "worst day in the history of the state".

- 'Worst day in state's history'
    - Stay at home, people told
    - Extreme weather forecast

With temperatures set to soar to the mid-40s throughout Victoria, Mr Brumby said the conditions were worse than those that preceded the devastating bushfires of Ash Wednesday or Black Friday.

"It's just as bad a day as you can imagine and on top of that the state is just tinder-dry. People need to exercise real common sense tomorrow," he said.

"If you don't need to go out, don't go out, it's a seriously bad day.

"If you don't need to travel, don't travel.

"Don't go on the roads. If you don't need to use the public transport system, don't use it.

"If you can stay at home, stay at home.

"If you've got relatives who are elderly, if you've got friends, if you've got neighbours, please call on them.

"Ring them ... it's going to be a terrible day for anyone who is ill or who is old.

Mr Brumby said he expected Melbourne to reach 43 or 44 degrees with similar temperatures throughout the state, reaching as high as 46 in Mildura.

He said if anything, the expectation was for the day to be even hotter rather than cooler.

He recalled scenes last week of wooden power poles self-igniting.

"I can't stress this enough, I know that the chief fire officer has been out and he said it will be as bad as you can get and he's not exaggerating," Mr Brumby said.

Fun, fun, fun... Mmm mmm mmm I am just loving my non-insulated, non-air conditioned brick house at the moment....

I thought we had seen the worst of the scorching hot weather last week, Man this kinda hot weather sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

If you think you have weather problems over there then you should see Ireland over the last week.

At least Australia plan for extreme weather conditions. No such luck here. We have had a bit more than average snowfall and suddenly the country is nearly at standstill. Actually kind of funny.

Normally commutes of thirty minutes are now taking three hours with some people having to abort their homeward commute and stay in overnight accommodation. Schools and even other work places have been forced to close this week. Give me your weather any day!!!

If you think you have weather problems over there then you should see Ireland over the last week.

At least Australia plan for extreme weather conditions. No such luck here. We have had a bit more than average snowfall and suddenly the country is nearly at standstill. Actually kind of funny.

Normally commutes of thirty minutes are now taking three hours with some people having to abort their homeward commute and stay in overnight accommodation. Schools and even other work places have been forced to close this week. Give me your weather any day!!!

Not quite the case in Victoria unfortunately - last week came to a standstill due to the high temps. Train tracks started melting forcing trains to stop, power went out over most parts of the city due to overload from air con and the like, in some places they were out for 36 hours+. Adelaide morgue was almost at it's full capacity.

Main thing here is the bush fires and threat to the elderly. One thing about cold v's hot weather is it's generally it's a hell of a lot easier to warm yourself up than cool yourself down. As much as I adore the warm temps (high 20's to mid 30's) the 45+C temps we had here last week were utterly foul to cope with when you have no air con - starts to turn you loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Sammag wrote: »
    The whole 'worst day in history' seems a tad OTT to me to be honest, but time will tell... Main thing here is the bush fires and threat to the elderly.

If you were around during Ash Wednesday you would understand why the Premier is making such a statement. Wouldn't surprise me if we had a similar disaster on our hands, and with so many people now living in the outskirts of Melbourne it wouldn't surprise me if the losses would be even higher.

Very true, I didn't mean my above comment to appear flippant. It's incredibly hot out at the moment and it's only 11am :eek:

Edited to say - I've deleted my moronic comment above. I re-read it and feel like a twat and I'm too new to this site for that lark... (I'm blaming the bottle of white I drank last night before I started typing)

• Advertisement

:)

It's hot and windy. Can't be good. :( I'm not looking forward to getting in my car at 2pm... it'll be an oven!

missannik wrote: »
    ...it wouldn't surprise me if the losses would be even higher.
    Lets pray that doesn't happen. I have the utmost respect for firies who put their lives on the line to keep people safe. Lets hope they all make it home to their families at the end of the day.

Couldn't agree more Dex.

Out of interest and pure nosiness - where are you lot based in Melbourne/Vic?

The 'Nong. :D

You?

:) Am in Elsternwick. Bought a teeny tiny house here last year.

Just went outside to my back garden, I stupidly decided to make a go at becoming a 'keen gardener' at the start of spring '08. For the first time ever I actually thought I was developing a 'green thumb'... It looked so pretty, lots of roses and Hydrangeas and Gardenias and other such lovely flowery things plus a kick ass veggie patch... Now everything is brown - even the numerous natives I planted and showed so much TLC to - the whole place is as dead as a doornail and in general just looks like the surface of the moon :(

I am in the NE subs in Rosanna (close to Heidelberg). The grass in my garden has gone beyond the yellow stage and is actually white. Snake sightings around the parkland area and even in the residential areas are on the up as they try to escape the heat into the coolness of garden sheds or under houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We got your hot weather in NZ today - it blew over the Tasman. I was camping for the weekend and it was 31C today. I don't know how you dealt with it being higher. I'd have just sat in a big paddling pool all day refusing to go anywhere.

On an extremely happy note - my work permit got approved - I'm not getting deported in May! I'm off on hols next week and I needed to get my work permit back from immigration so I can go. I rang them about 12 times pestering them and finally someone from the Wellington office rang to tell me I could have my passport back and that she "had taken a quick look at my application" and decided to approve it. She's sending me my passport - I'll go on hols and when I come back they're putting the stickers in my passport. Just goes to show they can do your application quick if it goes from sitting a queue to approved in a couple of hours.

Moral of the story - pester immigration!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    On an extremely happy note - my work permit got approved - I'm not getting deported in May! I'm off on hols next week and I needed to get my work permit back from immigration so I can go. I rang them about 12 times pestering them and finally someone from the Wellington office rang to tell me I could have my passport back and that she "had taken a quick look at my application" and decided to approve it. She's sending me my passport - I'll go on hols and when I come back they're putting the stickers in my passport. Just goes to show they can do your application quick if it goes from sitting a queue to approved in a couple of hours.

Moral of the story - pester immigration!

you know how we've got the same name, and same nationality boyfriends, and we're going through so much of the same shit together and shit?

you know that i still hate you, right?

:p

ok ok ok, i still wubs ya... but that doesnt stop me being ridiculously jealous....

Advertisement