Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Did a rescan this evening on my Sony Bravia W4000 Series TV. Now getting EPG info on both TV and radio stations which I didn't get before. (Ch 53, CC).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Did a rescan this evening on my Sony Bravia W4000 Series TV. Now getting EPG info on both TV and radio stations which I didn't get before. (Ch 53, CC).

Signal strength from 3 Rock seems to have been lowered drastically in the past few days? Severe pixilation on MPEG4, on analogue only RTE1 viewable, I've lost TV3 altogether? Location: Lucan Village (without a clear line of sight to 3Rock)

Think I'll be getting a directional antenna at lunch.......

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

DTT Reception on Technomate TM6900 Combo from three rock is good in Terenure (I'd guess 8/10 miles as crow flies from transmitter??)-First day I've got up and running.:D Large tree in the way but otherwise line-of-sight of transmitter so aiming small outdoor aerial to side of it, using 26dB UHF masthead pre-amplifier (probably overkill but is intended for analogue). Panasonic Plasma displays the following:576i, ,738MHz,VPID 1101/1104 and APID 1201/1204 for RTE1,RTE2,TV3 and TG4 with 94/95% (strength?) . No teletext. 7 Day EPG. I can also receive Kippure analogue but this is not showing up on scan (perhaps not DTT enabled yet?). Anybody any idea what's the signal levels of three rock DTT is compared to analogue, out of (mild!)curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I am getting the EPG on Mt Leinster also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 drogs_1

slegs wrote: »
    I am getting the EPG on Mt Leinster also.
    Are you setting the TV up as UK or Ireland? During the trial I set up as UK. But now not getting EPG.

• Advertisement

Mine is still on UK. Just did manual re-scan on ch 53 (for CC).

Teletext now available on RTE 1/2. No text on TV3 or TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Mayo, What have you got a Sony KDL series TV ?

Just bought the same TV as Mayo exile there- the sony bravia 32 w4000

Getting the four digital tv stations from mount leinster in mpeg4 in perfect sound and picture quality here in Arklow and the 4 radio stations.

Unfortunately the UK aerial system I'm using here is for arfon - otherwise I'd probably have a lovely EPG mix with the UK channels from presely that aren't blocked by M.Leinster.

I'll probably switch the twin aerials round to preseli to see what happens when I get a chance.They're mounted on a 60ft roof top mast though so twill have to be a calm day!!

Originally posted by STB: Mayo, What have you got a Sony KDL series TV ?

STB, same as Black Briar's. Its a KDL-32W4000 series TV. When tuning it in, you must set the country of origin as UK, as setting it to Ireland disables the text/MHEG5 functions of the TV for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Very informative thanks.. Any negatives about the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

STB, same as Black Briar's. Its a KDL-32W4000 series TV. When tuning it in, you must set the country of origin as UK, as setting it to Ireland disables the text/MHEG5 functions of the TV for some reason.

I presumed thats how you were getting the MHEG 5 info! Good stuff....

odonnghaille: The card..... Do check compatability before you rush out and get one. Theres a listhere
    Negatives and positives can be read here. There is a difference of opinion as can be seen from that thread. Make your own mind up!

You learn something new every day..
    Off up to the TV now to change it from Ireland to UK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

Teletext now available on RTE 1/2. No text on TV3 or TG4.

Is the signal back to normal on Three Rock and I note that we do not have teletext......?

a bientot wrote: »
    Is the signal back to normal on Three Rock and I note that we do not have teletext......?

UHF transmissions are down at about 1/2 normal level. I need a signal booster in Lucan village- with a clear view of 3-Rock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BowWow

Reception was bad last night, no reception at all tonight.

Originally posted by a bientot: Is the signal back to normal on Three Rock and I note that we do not have teletext......?

Teletext still available from CC. But it hasn't been updated for quite a few days now.

Teletext still available from CC. But it hasn't been updated for quite a few days now.
    On Mt Leinster,it's updated about once a month..I've only just learned that Brian Cowen has arrived back safely from China..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

DVBT PCMCIA Card
    GBPVR
    Cyberlink H.264 Codec

I bought a UK-spec laptop (HP Pavillion DV9000, Vista Home Prem) which came with a HP ExpressCard pcmia tuner (rebadged pinnacle dvb-t pcmcia card, as far as I know) for UK Freeview service (mpeg2, DVB-T)
    After trial switched to mpeg4, I could tune stations and get sound but no picture.
    • Downloaded GBPVR to view TV (allows you to configure codecs easily)
    • Tuned in stations (stil' no picture)
    • Downloaded free trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD which installed H.264 codec and told GBPVR to use his for MPEG4. I now have picture and sound on RTE1, RTE2, TV43 & TG4
    • NOTE: I originally tried FFDShow, a free H.264 codec, but it WILL NOT WORK with this transmission; I believe CoreAVC will work but I haven't tried it.
    EPG is working
    I haven't tried teletext/interactive services yet
    GBPVR is currently crashing on record/pause live tv but this is a configuration/conflict issue on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Cyberlink codec/powerDVD kept crashing GPPVR/PC so switched codec to Core AVC - all works well

kuro_man wrote: »
    DVBT PCMCIA Card
    GBPVR
    Cyberlink H.264 Codec

I bought a UK-spec laptop (HP Pavillion DV9000, Vista Home Prem) which came with a HP ExpressCard pcmia tuner (rebadged pinnacle dvb-t pcmcia card, as far as I know) for UK Freeview service (mpeg2, DVB-T)

After trial switched to mpeg4, I could tune stations and get sound but no picture.
    • Downloaded GBPVR to view TV (allows you to configure codecs easily)
    • Tuned in stations (stil' no picture)
    • Downloaded free trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD which installed H.264 codec and told GBPVR to use his for MPEG4. I now have picture and sound on RTE1, RTE2, TV43 & TG4
    • NOTE: I originally tried FFDShow, a free H.264 codec, but it WILL NOT WORK with this transmission; I believe CoreAVC will work but I haven't tried it.
    EPG is working
    I haven't tried teletext/interactive services yet
    GBPVR is currently crashing on record/pause live tv but this is a configuration/conflict issue on the PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Signal down to 10% quality last night in Maynooth so no reception !! some trial.

John Dough wrote: »
    Signal down to 10% quality last night in Maynooth so no reception !! some trial.

Conversely- it was up at 80% in Lucan village. I could get digital with no pixilation whatsoever even without the amp turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Ok moved aerial closer to the window and back up to 100% quality ,had to reset trial box again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

Interesting to note that Teletext is on 3 Rock since 2 December....a bit jumpy initially but watchable
    On all four tv channels..........

Can the new DAB radio channels be far behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

a bientot wrote: »
    Interesting to note that Teletext is on 3 Rock since 2 December....a bit jumpy initially but watchable
    On all four tv channels..........
    So it is .. well spotted! Working fine in ProgDVB with my Freecom USB stick receiver.

Just did a re-scan on three rock. Two extra tv channels with the above title have appeared. Both identical and showing a circuit board being made with a loop of music about three seconds long. Interesting!confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Rohde and Schwarz -

"Rohde & Schwarz is an independent group of companies specializing in electronics. It is a leading supplier of solutions in the fields of test and measurement, broadcasting, radiomonitoring and radiolocation as well as mission-critical radiocommunications. Established more than 70 years ago, Rohde & Schwarz has a global presence and a dedicated service network in over 70 countries. It has approx. 7500 employees and achieved a net revenue of € 1.4 billion in fiscal year 07/08 (July 07 to June 08). Company headquarters are in Munich, Germany."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Good info. Will be interesting to see it it's for an early Boxer test or PSB roll out tests (my money's on the latter). Could even be Kippure tests. All will be revealed in due course I'm sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just did a re-scan on three rock. Two extra tv channels with the above title have appeared. Both identical and showing a circuit board being made with a loop of music about three seconds long. Interesting!confused.gif
    Which frequency was this on? I'm not a triallist so can only pick up the 'free' channels on 738MHz and did a re-scan on that but didn't find anything new.

EDIT: Cancel that ... found it on 770MHz.

Advertisement