Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Just noticed something, I registered for a video account with eFlow, and I was checking the account today. I noticed that there was charge of 1.80 for something (or what looked like a charge, doesn't show in the overall balance though), and it seemed to be registered against a tag (it was the only transaction that had a tag ID number against it). Now, I don't have a tag, so it can't be some other toll booth that I went through. The time of the transaction is around 3am, I was definitely tucked up in bed at that stage!

As I said, it hasn't shown in my overall balance yet, so I haven't actually been charged. I was just wondering if there is a setup or maintenance charge on the video accounts (I didn't think there was) or if anyone has had any similar odd payments.

One other thing, I did make a one-off payment on the account, and cleared the balance of 10 Euro at the time, just wondering if they charge you for doing that outside regular payments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1.80 sounds like someone elses M1 or M8 charge has snuck on to your bill somehow... these don't have video reg so if this is the case, they've managed to bill someones tag charge to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

blastman wrote: »
    Just noticed something, I registered for a video account with eFlow, and I was checking the account today. I noticed that there was charge of 1.80 for something (or what looked like a charge, doesn't show in the overall balance though), and it seemed to be registered against a tag (it was the only transaction that had a tag ID number against it). Now, I don't have a tag, so it can't be some other toll booth that I went through. The time of the transaction is around 3am, I was definitely tucked up in bed at that stage!

As I said, it hasn't shown in my overall balance yet, so I haven't actually been charged. I was just wondering if there is a setup or maintenance charge on the video accounts (I didn't think there was) or if anyone has had any similar odd payments.

One other thing, I did make a one-off payment on the account, and cleared the balance of 10 Euro at the time, just wondering if they charge you for doing that outside regular payments.

Very similar thing happened me today, I have a tag but there was a different tag number showing on my account with a charge of €1.65, which is maybe the Eastlink??? Anyway it wasnt mine so I rang them today, when I eventually got through they told me it would be taken off my account. Also had the exact problem you had with our company account here, its all video registration but there were three tag charges on it today, we dont have any tags, am waiting on them to come back to me, it seems their system went more mad than normal over the last few days, I was told today I would be on hold for 30 mins before he could get someone to take my query, in the end they took my number and said they would call me back. No call as of yet and that was this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just got the following e-email from Eazy Pass

[QUOTE=Eazy Pass Online
    to me ]Automatic Cancellation of M50 Toll Notices from eFlow

Dear Eazy Pass Customer,

If you are a registered customer with EazyPass and you have received an eFlow notice in relation to M50 tolls, eFlow confirms that all of these notices will be cancelled and the original toll only (at the tag rate) will be transferred onto your tag account. Provided that the number plate details on your account are correct these notices will be cancelled automatically you do not need to do anything. If you are unsure that your number plate details are correct, just check your most recent account statement.

If the vehicle license plate details on the Notice differs from those on your Eazy Pass account, then please log onto the eFlow web-site and use the Notice Cancellation option to enter your Notice numbers and vehicle details,. This will enable eFlow to cancel your notices and your updated vehicle details will be forwarded to Eazy Pass.

The problem of Notices being issued incorrectly is most likely due to the tag not being mounted correctly in the middle of the windscreen or not having the proper vehicle details associated with your tag. If you require a new tag holder, please reply to this email and we will forward a tag holder to you.

eFlow apologises for the inconvenience caused by this issue but expect it to be resolved shortly by ensuring the proper mounting of tags and by making certain that vehicle registration numbers on tag accounts are kept up to date. Eazy Pass will continue to assist eFlow in eliminating this problem.

Eazy Pass Customer Service[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Folks

Claudia, a researcher from Prime Time looks to be doing a piece on the farce that is the M50 "e" toll.

Looksie here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384922&page=2
    The more people that get in touch with them the better.

If you are shy I'm sure they could organise one of those interviews where you are presented in a darkened room with a random accent :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Just wondering which is the best option(cheapest) if you use the M50 say 3 times a week but only for a limited period. e.g 3 times a week for 3 months?

I know there are monthly account maintanence crap which I dont want to be paying after I stop using it. Just wondering ?

Also I may be swapping cars during this period however I hear that tags are applicable to only one car so I guess I better stick to one car to avoid further payment?

Also I was on the eflow website - I am probably going to preregister but just saw this:
    What is the €40 start-up fee for?
    Customers who choose to register for a pre-paid eFlow tag account or video account will need to pay this account start-up balance of €40.

This is not a purchase fee, but is an initial pre-payment credit amount against which toll charges are set. eFlow's systems will automatically credit your pre-paid account with the agreed top-up amount once your account reaches the agreed low balance threshold, which is currently €12.

What is this agreed low balance threshold, who agreed this???? - Surely they should not be allowed to automatically credit the account until it reaches zero? Also what if you are not wanting to continue using this service, Looks like they are sneakily looking to end up with 14 euro in their pockets when you stop using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Hi Guys,

I received two 4 page letters from E Flow despite paying for the tolls the following day.

I went up and down on the 18th and the 19th of this month. Therefore I used the toll bridge a total of four times.

Now the interesting thing is that they say I owe for just two trips - the southbound trip on the 18th and the northbound trip on the 19th.

Does this mean they have no record of me going through the other two times? Is it feasible that the cameras are only working in one direction at anyone time?

The letter states that if I have already paid the toll to ignore this letter. This is what I intend to do - I probably expect the next letter in 14 days but I have proof of payment and potentially €6.00 in credit!:D

I posted this in another thread as well - not being awkward just not sure which one gets the most views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

www.tolltag.ie, no monthly charge however you pay €2.20 per trip rather than €2.00.

I think,(could be wrong) but you can register a few cars under one tag and the tolltag is very easy to remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

My car's beiong serviced, I have an SUV for a few days. Can I use my original easypass for the few days. If not than what's my best option for paying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

FX Meister wrote: »
    My car's beiong serviced, I have an SUV for a few days. Can I use my original easypass for the few days. If not than what's my best option for paying it?
    No it not transferable. The ANPR cams will register in on the plates from the SUV. you can pay e3 if you pay on line within 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The brown stuff seems to be hitting the fan now.
    Conor "I love my voice" Faughnan was on the wireless this morning discussing the fact that the Dept. of Transport have confirmed an average of 10,000 errors per day (remember that this system cost €25 million!).
    The NRA will be holding a press conference or something today and the only thing they would say beforehand was that they hope that their customer service should be working to demand in about a month!
    ANyhow, CF told people NOT to pay the charge if there is an error with it!

FX Meister wrote: »
    cheers

You should probably make sure that the Car you get isnt already registered on a video account or something with the garage before you go paying over the €3 yourself.

KBannon, it seems to be conflicting information on the radio constantly. On 2fm news this morning, the were reading a release from Eflow saying that only 200 registrations were being misread (Just mentioned "misread" and not other "system errors") and that the system was no working at 99.something % and that it would be the finest system in the world very shortly. There was no mention of the 30mins - 1 hour hold time for the complaints department on the Eflow hotline or of the fact Eflow staff themselves are admitting its a joke when you speak to them. Just glowing reports issued by the NRA, the body responsible for it!!!
    Would be interested to hear what is said at the press conference .

eFlow are naturally try and put a spin on the bad news.
    However: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1001/1222724599344.html
    (nothing typically on transport.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My girlfriend has a video account with EFlow and received a 2 page statement last night witha grand total of €0.00.

Stupid that they even bother sending out statements when no usage has been recorded. These guys have to wasting some amount of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

If there is so much crap going on now what would it be like if nobody registered?? The system would crash! Nobody should of going out and registering simply use it and not pay!

I dont think Irish people know anything about protesting it is a thing of the past! We own this god damn system we paid for it!

With all this going on why dont you all make it worse take out your tags dirty up your plates and just use it?

I know this will not happen as there will always be someone ready to pay for anything even the air we breath!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Kbannon, I heard Conor Faughnan interview as well, and the bit where he said about keeping records of your trips etc struck me, I think people should keep a record of the time spent calling their so called customer service number, should be easy enough to do with phone records these days and keeping a rough log of the time spent sorting out problems with their system. I think it'd then be worth someone then trying to take them to small claims court to claim the costs of the extra payments, phone calls and how many hours* spent trying to sort the mess out.

At the very least the thought of thousands of such claims would scare the bejaysus out of them and give them an incentive to fix the problems faster instead of saying we'll fix it next month or whenever. None of this affects me as I make sure that I don't use the bridge, and try to keep away form the M50 as much as possible, but for people who do and get screwed around by the NRA it's an idea.

* multiplied by however much you get paid an hour.

Just been onto them again today, thats about 5/6 phone calls this week alone. There are now charges for 2 different tags other than my own on my account!!! They said that in relation to the first one, the car reg belonging to that tag has is very similar to mine with just a digit or two different and dirt on the reg might have caused it. That is ridiculous, I cant see how there will be a fix to that problem without them stopping everyone before they come to the camera and cleaning all reg plates. The second tag charge apparantly has the same car reg as mine allocated to it. Cant understand that one at all. Either its using the same plates as me or its a computer mess up on their part. Its a van too, not a car in the case of the second one.

Don't forget though that the NRA are still insisting that the system will be "the finest in the world"
    pfft!

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't forget though that the NRA are still insisting that the system will be "the finest in the world"
    pfft!

Yeh "the finest F&&K up in the world"

Just thinking about the problem I have with them above. The first charge on my account for a different tag number was for €1.65. Thats the Eastlink charge isnt it?? They dont have the ANPR cameras on that bridge so what have reg numbers got to do with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Ok, It just dawned on me that I went along the M50 tolled section a week or 2 ago.

I just went to the web site eflow.ie (that's where you have to pay, right?) and entered my reg. It didn't give any info saying that I had to pay. Should it tell you if you have to pay or are the cameras cardboard and it just expects people to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

You'll get a letter shortly saying what you owe - it will say the normal fee for late payment is *** but this time we will let you away with paying €3 each way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Is the loop in the penalty points system also going to work with the toll charges, i.e. the charge is delivered via non-registered post, therefore you can claim you never received the notice??

Could you also say that you weren't aware that there was a charge and aren't under a contractual agreement with them? Certainly some people will go through without knowing there is a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pleading ignorance doesn't work.

One can't just force someone into a contract cause they say so. (I'm not a lawyer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One can't just force someone into a contract cause they say so. (I'm not a lawyer!)

I'm no legal expert either but logic dictates this is the way I see it:

The toll company or whoever provide a section of road/bridge that they charge a toll to use. Nobody forced you to use this route. You used this road/bridge by your own choice which would indicate that you willingly agreed to enter a contract with the toll company. The toll company provided the road/bridge thus carrying out their side of the contract, you now owe the toll company a tariff as part of that contract, also as part of the terms of that contract the toll company have fixed penalties for late payment.

I rest my case your honour.:D

I don't know. If the person isn't aware it seems a bit off. Is someone walks through up my front path to the door to see a notice saying there is a €3 charge for walking up the path (making them aware after the trip up the path), would they have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know. If the person isn't aware it seems a bit off. Is someone walks through up my front path to the door to see a notice saying there is a €3 charge for walking up the path (making them aware after the trip up the path), would they have to pay?

Do the roads prior to the toll bridge have display signs up saying that the road/bridge ahead is tolled? In other words is there plently of notice to avoid the toll bridge if you don't want to use it?

• Advertisement

Not sure. Probably not before it is too late to turn off. Wouldn't fancy a U turn. Possible to be be hidden by lorries in traffic also I would imagine.

Advertisement