Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Its all still up in the air and nobody seems to know what is goin to happen but yeah..... hopefully the panel will start moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

Garryd wrote: »
    Its all still up in the air and nobody seems to know what is goin to happen but yeah..... hopefully the panel will start moving.
    Garryd
    U see from news that garda are still be trained. Most of these had started trainging before recruitment but minister Ahearne said that frontline number would be a priority. He was refering to Garda and Prison officer numbers.The numbers that retire wont be replaced one for one but people who leave from early retitrement wil have to replaced to some extint. My cousin is in service and he has been told that officers will be recruited for Portlaoise extentsion and Pats is undermanned as well. Here reckons November will c start of training again.Going my numbers that did physical in march there are only 70 people left on 07 panel. These will definitely get jobbedbetween now and march 10.

Sounds good to me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

hi dropsey

You seem to have good inside knowledge, do you think they will continue with 0'8 panel??, i know there will be a significant wait tho, i have someone close to me in the service and he says just yesterday that there is a serious amount of officers leaving so hopefully 0'8 panel will move after 0'7 is finished.

cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

po candidate,

will ask cousin has he heard anything when he returns from his holiday. THe prision service obviously saw aneed to start 08 campaign based on age profile of staff and the fact they can retire at 55 with full pension(with 30 year service). The pension levy has acclerated the amount leaving. I would think the 08 campaign will restart quietly early 2010.

• Advertisement

dropsey

Cheers mate thats great to hear some positive news, yeah if your cousin has any info and you past it on, wud be greatly appreciated

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

hi dropsey

You seem to have good inside knowledge, do you think they will continue with 0'8 panel??, i know there will be a significant wait tho, i have someone close to me in the service and he says just yesterday that there is a serious amount of officers leaving so hopefully 0'8 panel will move after 0'7 is finished.

cheers:)

I have very strong information (from the inside "hehe") that they are definitely going to proceed using the 08 panel, also there is a que of officers going to leave the service as it is now very unattractive for officers with service to stay, hopefully this will drive on the recruitment:D

you should'nt have told me that, i'll hound you now!!!, only joking thats great to know thankyou, its nice to hear these kind of comments, gives us hope,

Thanks again.

Sisu200 wrote: »
    I have very strong information (from the inside "hehe") that they are definitely going to proceed using the 08 panel, also there is a que of officers going to leave the service as it is now very unattractive for officers with service to stay, hopefully this will drive on the recruitment:D
    So what is that you are saying? That whats left of the 2007 panel will be scrapped or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

Hi!Garryd! dont worry if they r proceeding with the 08 panel then they wont scrap the 07 panel sure that would be madness after everybody doing interviews and physicals!

• Advertisement

True i suppose.... Im sure you know yourself that we all have been through a lot to get this far and the last thing we want is to have to do it all again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

i finished in the low 200s in the 2008 tests and have heard nothing , any one in the lower no,s heard anything yet ,

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

I finished in the top 20 in 08 and haven't heard anything either. I'd presume that we won't hear anything til the 07 candidates are being called in for training. They told me a few months ago that there will be no more from the 07 campaign after the ones already called.

Would'nt say any of us 0'8 lads will hear anything untill end of year,last of 0'7 recruits will be in training by then hopefuly!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Everyone is been told different things, I have a relation in the PS, when he did his apt test, it was 2/12 years before he was called for the interview, and a further 11 months before he went through to training, he trained with people from the next recruitment panel. It is blo-ody frustrating when there is no official updates from the PAS or the IPS on where people stand if your kinda relying on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

No news with me lads, haven't heard a thing from anyone :mad:

Saw this online on herald.ie, might get things moving :D

Retiring public servants set to lose €11k to tax

RETIRING gardai, nurses and other public servants could lose up to €11,000 under new plans to tax lump-sum gratuities from January 1 next.
    The Herald understands that the Minister for Finance will make an announcement in next December's Budget to apply a planned rate of 17.5pc on lump-sum handouts to all retiring public servants.

Perks
    The average public sector worker currently receives a tax-free gratuity payment of €67,000 -- one and a half times their salary -- on their retirement, which is in additional to an average annual pension of around €24,000. The gratuity is viewed as one of the biggest perks of working in the public sector.
    Under the plans, the average retiring public sector worker will be hit with a tax charge of up to €11,700 on their gratuity. All civil servants, gardai, teachers, nurses and others will be hit under the plans, which will be announced in the wake of the controversial pensions' levy imposed last February.
    The Commission on Taxation is set to recommend the gratuity tax, and will report on it to the Minister for Finance in July, the Herald understands.
    It is also understood that the Government opted not to tax the gratuity in last month's Budget, in order to give public servants a grace period, on foot of the introduction of the pension levy.
    But a senior source confirmed that the tax would go ahead from January 1 next.
    The Government is currently deciding if there will be a tax exemption placed on part of the lump sum, but there are fears that crumbling public finances may see the entire gratuity taxed.

Plan
    A Government insider told the Herald: "The plan at present is to introduce the flat tax of 17.5pc across the board. Thresholds and exemptions have been considered but none have been decided on at present. But there is no question that the gratuity itself will be brought in from the start of next year."
    The annual cost of paying the gratuity is usually between €250m and €350m, depending on the numbers retiring in that particular year.
    clooney@herald.ie
    - Cormac Looney

That can only be good news for those of us waiting to get going in the prison service. If that doesn't get them retiring in big numbers nothing will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

I know ye are all hoping that retirement increases so ye can get in but spare a thought for the man/woman who currently have to make the difficult decision to retire or not over this ridiculous pension levy. I know lads, who don't want to retire but might be forced to do so.

Of course it's an unfortunate situation but in times likes these we have to look at every possible opportunity that may arise. These people have 30+ years service behind them and are 55+. There are those of us that are unemployed and struggling to find work that need these opportunities to get us out of financial worries and to start living again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

portumna wrote: »
    Of course it's an unfortunate situation but in times likes these we have to look at every possible opportunity that may arise. These people have 30+ years service behind them and are 55+. There are those of us that are unemployed and struggling to find work that need these opportunities to get us out of financial worries and to start living again!

O ya, which this perfectly acceptable. Don't get me wrong.

But at the same time, it shouldn't be treated as this wonderful thing that has come along. Like if I was ye I wouldn't be praying for it to come in, obviously when it does take full advantage of it!

But some retiring are only early 50's, joined at 20. I hope i don't retire when i'm 50, all I'll have to look forward to is Oprah at 2 o clock:pac:

• Advertisement

lads i think many were going to retire in the prison service anyway, this will drive everyone who can into retirement across the public service, not sure why anyone who is at retirement age would work on anyway, life's to short and most public servents have a few euro!!, which is why we all want a job there, i would'nt wish anyone out of a job, but its evryone for themselves, some of us have families, i do, so if i get a job because of retirement happy days.

Have a question for you all, has any of the financial perks taken away recently put anyone off going for it?,

No sure we cant miss what we have never had!!:D has it put u off?

:)No i haven't been put off, i would still be much better off in money terms than i am now even tho i work, i think job security is a big thing for me too( like most people now days) and you get that in the public service, and in the distant future having a pension would be nice! if theres still a pension by then! and i'd like to think i'd enjoy the job too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

just rang public jobs today,the 07 gang are been called slowly but surely. iv been waithing 9 months for my security check to come back,so 08 gang sit back and relax cos you are in for a long wait,just hope you dont have to wait 9 months!!i did interview in july 08 and test in april 07,iv now got a pain in my back side waiting!!!!!! anyone else like to moan about the whole thing with me?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

I rang public jobs today, waste of time. They know nothing :mad:

I rang IPS, was told they are still working from the '07 group, they will not be scrapping the '08 lads cos they put too much money into the campaign but it will take some time to get to them. They too in 265 recruits last year but this year they will only be allowed to take in about 66 people.

We could be waiting awhile :(

its such a pain,yeah i rang the ips too,they seem to be in limbo too about the whole thing and on whats going on and how long its going to take. when did you apply Recruit PO???

have you got your security check back yet?? im waithing 9 months for it to come back,did you have your interview in july 08?

I dont think that Public Jobs has anything to do with us once our security comes back so I think that it is a waste of time ringing them because they wont know anything!Does anyone know if the group that were called for June are still going ahead? Im getting tired of all this waiting and dont know whether to continue with college next year to get my degree or to take a year out in the hope that I get called! Is anyone else in the same situation?

katb42 its a joke,all this waiting and for what?? god only knows!!!!! have you got your secuirty check back??? id finish your course and then see,you never know what is going to happen. I do think we will be called at some stage. The june gang are going in,so i heard the other day anyway.

• Advertisement

hi! yes I got mine back in October! have u got yours back yet? and have you done your physical? I did the physical in March and I thought that once the physical was done that we would be called straight away! I didnt think that there would be more waiting!

Advertisement