Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

katb42 its a joke, im waiting 9 months for my check to come back,it came back in jan but they put my D.O.B in wrongso it had to go back and iv heard nothing,such a bloody joke!!!! i rang them today and they couldn answer my question in publicjobs. no physical until i get check back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

You must be so annoyed about that! As long as you dont have to wait as long this time around for it to come back! Nobody really knows what is going on with the recruitment freeze in place! It has slowed things up alot, as if things weren't slow enough before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

If you've done your physical does that mean that u have got your sec clear.

I dont think that you can do your physical until your security has cleared! If you got a letter stating that you have passed stage two then that means that you have been cleared!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

megranny wrote: »
    katb42 its a joke, im waiting 9 months for my check to come back,it came back in jan but they put my D.O.B in wrongso it had to go back and iv heard nothing,such a bloody joke!!!! i rang them today and they couldn answer my question in publicjobs. no physical until i get check back.

i did interview in july 08 still waiting on clearance. its beyond joke now. i,m just going to wait.if i hear i hear if i d,ont i d,ont .fed up with it at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

tommy57 you must of done interview with me,it really is a joke alright 9 months waiting for what takes one hour to do. Iv rang so many times to the public jobs place about it and just get fobbed off all the time.

megranny wrote: »
    tommy57 you must of done interview with me,it really is a joke alright 9 months waiting for what takes one hour to do. Iv rang so many times to the public jobs place about it and just get fobbed off all the time.

the clearance is more to do with the prison service public jobs just give them your details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/prison-guards-fear-gang-infiltration-1725724.html Have a read of this guys,what a load of rubbish!i doubt recruitment to the CIA would have as many tests and checks as we have been through!Also a bit strange coming from the union boss you dont see the head of the GRA saying garda recruits need to be vetted more.Is he more or less saying there are serving members in the PS who are gang members?bizarre!

I can see their theory behind it but in my opinion if somebody is involved in gangland crime then chances are they are known to the guardi so they will not get a job as a prison officer anyway! It just means that if we get the job we will be watched closely to ensure that we are not involved in anything in the prison!

I know but arent recruits vetted similarly to gardai?Are all prison officers being tarred with the one brush because of the actions one or two.The strange thing is the union boss coming out with this is he is making his own members and potental recruits look bad?the director of the PS says there is no evidence of it so i dunno what he is on bout.Anyhow those of us that have passed the sec clearance will know how long it takes,seems fairly comprehensive to me!

• Advertisement

Well obviously an incident must have occured within the prison service to make them think that there are prison officers working with gangland members! Also the prison service are very thorough with their checks already so I dont think there is much more that they can do with this regard! It just makes it harder for people going into the job as they are already tarred with the potential to liaise with gang members! Hopefully they wont carry out more checks on every body as a result of this as it will increase the time that we already have to wait to get into the job!

Scatman81 wrote: »
    I know but arent recruits vetted similarly to gardai?Are all prison officers being tarred with the one brush because of the actions one or two.The strange thing is the union boss coming out with this is he is making his own members and potental recruits look bad?the director of the PS says there is no evidence of it so i dunno what he is on bout.Anyhow those of us that have passed the sec clearance will know how long it takes,seems fairly comprehensive to me!

the time it takes to get clearance ,you,d want to apply for the ips when you leave school they should have you cleared by the time your 35 :D

True for u Tommy your not a gang sleeper by any chance!!?:D:D

Scatman81 wrote: »
    True for u Tommy your not a gang sleeper by any chance!!?:D:D

you,d probaly need clearance for them to !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 micki1983

yeah apparently its a very drawn out process, depending on where you come in the test, if you come first, then you get interviewed first so some may not be waiting too long, couple of months maybe, anyone who comes somewhere in the 1,000s maybe waiting for a year or more which is a pain in the butt, its based on order of merit so its very fair,

This is what i've been told anyway

Hi everyone! Can't believe there is so much posts about this! I did my aptitude in April 07, interview and medical (same day) Sept 07 and around October was told that I had passed interview but coz I had to get laser eye surgery done and had to wait a month later and then post the results to Chief medical Officer I thought it was this that held up my whole application. I was so frustrated for months as I had no contact number (public jobs are a joke) and i lost interest until Sept 08 when i heard that a guy living near me had got in and I knew for a fact that he was about 150th place after the aptitude (I was 102nd place) and he hadn't got called for interview and I had it passed! Anyway, this motivated to get off my ass and seeing as the medical officer address was the only contact I had I wrote a fair but 'firm' letter stating how disgusted I was that I had received no correspondence regarding my application status and i got a few follow up calls over the next few months requesting me to submit another eyesight report, another audiogram and then I got my physical in feb 09 and got the call 2 days after that to say I was in. Wohoo! Rock on June 2nd!!
    PS I know the others that did the physical with me were from 07 interviews. Good luck all and sit tight!

I did my physical on fri, and did everything i was asked but still no one told me wheather i pass or not!!! its a joke, at least they can give us a straight answer. all the waiting around and all the guessing is a joke, i've bin waitin just over 2 years. if it was the guards you'd b in in a heatbeat.

anyone awaiting the interview learn your questions that you need to fill out and you should to fine.
    I think if you weren't called back to repeat a test it means you passed cuz you get a 2nd opportunity should you fail any test. I did it Friday 6th March too and I got the call on the Monday to start in June. The strength grip test was difficult enough to pass for the two other girls in my group and they were given loads of opportunities to pass it but unfortunately they were just getting more tired and couldn't get it. I just about got within the requirements but the funniest thing was when I was reading the info on the 40 shuttle runs I thought it meant we had to run forwards AND backwards!! Literally! haha... i was dreading it and had been on hols the week before.

Congratuatlions on getting the call for training! I did my physical on the same day as you and found the fourty shuttle runs a killer but just about passed it! I also thought that we had to run backwards until I rang them to ask! Do u know how many are starting in June?

micki1983 wrote: »
    I think if you weren't called back to repeat a test it means you passed cuz you get a 2nd opportunity should you fail any test. I did it Friday 6th March too and I got the call on the Monday to start in June. The strength grip test was difficult enough to pass for the two other girls in my group and they were given loads of opportunities to pass it but unfortunately they were just getting more tired and couldn't get it. I just about got within the requirements but the funniest thing was when I was reading the info on the 40 shuttle runs I thought it meant we had to run forwards AND backwards!! Literally! haha... i was dreading it and had been on hols the week before.

keep us posted on how ypour getting on..and what the training is like. And good luck with it.

thanks cmc2009 and katb42, I only realised how lucky I was to get in when read this message board! There's 25 of us staring in June.Originally we were to start on the 15th June but got a call a few weeks ago to say they needed us to start on 2nd June. I'm just glad it gets me in quicker, i'm so curious. I'll keep ye all posted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I have a long running story with the recruitment, I applied bout 2 yrs ago and passed everyting until i got to the 40 shuttle runs, i was devastated as i thought id be ok. big mistake,i failed by 13 secs anyway i applied for the retest and got 6 weeks notice frm last test, i quit my job and was at the gym every day of week practically, i knew i had trained hard and went in to retest with great confidence. sadly i failed by 4 seconds !!!! ive never felt so bad about anything before.
    I told myself i couldnt give up and re-applied, i sat my exam soon enough after it at the end of last year and placed 6th out of the entrants which i thought would be enuf to get back in soon as possible but I havent heard anything and my dad being a P.O made a call to see what was up and was told they hed now stopped recruiting with the budget n all that went with it.
    Im goin mad here seeing that people are still being taken on and ive heard nothing. I had totally given up on the idea and all.

You know what kinda frustrates me though??? I was placed very high in all my interviews and exams but because i couldnt run 4 seconds faster Im not a suitable candidate??? whats that all about?? and i know i know its my own fault i didnt pass the test but after almost 2 years of exams and medicals and interviews and pre physicals you are basically told you're not gud enough because you cant run a bit faster.....
    GRINDS MY GEARS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

You are now in the 2008 campaign id say. Considering there are still a good few people from the 2007 campaign waiting to be called id say you have a bit of a wait ahead.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Are the 25 that are starting in June not the last of the 2007 campaign?

I was told that the only way to be taken off the panel would be WHEN you are offered a job in the prison service. And that they would not be scrapping the 2007 panel so as far as i know the 2007ers are still in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

Garryd wrote: »
    I was told that the only way to be taken off the panel would be WHEN you are offered a job in the prison service. And that they would not be scrapping the 2007 panel so as far as i know the 2007ers are still in with a shout.

going by the number of people that did pct on 6th and 13th march there are only about 50 more people to be jobbed and when taxation committe recommends 17.5 % tax on civil service gratuties (this is no secret) then rest of 2007 panel should go into trainning by end of year. 2008 interviews will probably start in late november i was told.

So long as they don't start into the 2008 lot b4 the people in the 2007 camp get sorted first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Does anyone know how many people are left on the 2007 panel? I was of the understanding that the group that are starting training in June were the last of the 2007 panel.

Why did they bother doing a 2008 campaign when they had people left in the 2007 campaign? :confused:

The group that are starting in June are definately not the last people from the 2007 campaign. I dont know exactly how many are left from the 2007 campaign but after the group start in June I am no 42 on the panel to get in and I think there are others that are on this forum that are up to 70 on the panel waiting to get in!

has any body rang up latley to get ne more info

Im at number 45. Is there anybody on here any higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 blanchlad

yeah im at number 60,after the june batch go in will i be number 35 then?i found out i was number 60 bout 2 months ago.dying to get in,i must be furthest from getting in on here.if i get in before next feb il be happy.

Advertisement