Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Welsh imports 28/7/08)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Looks like the show is over for now. Nothing on StormVue and even less going on outside. There is a cell developing over North Wales and Anglesey at the mo, but it isn't producing any fireworks. It might head this way.

Anyhow, I'll think we'll call it a night at that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Disappointing tbh. Never really got going here. It was never directly over head. Will stay up another hour or two to see if anything emerges - there is still potential but not as much as there was. Good to see some night time lightning for a change though. GFS btw is showing a deluge for the southern half of the country in the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

It almost looks like Howth Head split the storms in two. I could see flashes in the distance to my north and to my south but nothing where I am and not much rain either....poo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I'm calling it a night here. I've had plenty of excitement. Had a very nice CG strike and with the rain just increasing it suddenly got to a point where it was getting very intense so I began to get a bit concerned... and then it stopped! Was a good show though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

according to the late night radio forecast the show is just about to begin here. it looks like a late night:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nice flashes overhead here at the moment and a steady fall of rain to boot. Alot of the strikes appear toward Ballinakill/Abbyeyleix/Castlecomer area now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Can see lightning flashing now to my SE, not sure where they are coming from. East Galway/Tipp?

Storm is actually intensifying over the midlands - lucky fuppers:P

Upstream seems to be development over England with a nice track but surely its unthinkable that that would survive a trek across the Irish sea. Will stay up though. Anyone else on the night shift? Ive a few beers to keep me goin.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

There was frequent lightning and thunder in Balbriggan between 11:30pm and midnight. It slowly approached from the sea and was almost overhead when the activity very suddenly just stopped without warning just before midnight. It was if someone just pulled a plug. A short heavy downpour followed. It was however quite a light show for a time, and I could hear some eejits down the road cheering and roaring everytime the lightning flashed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I wonder how Snowbie is getting on, would like to see the pics and cam footage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

might give it a go but will prob be watching tv

Hal1 wrote: »
    I wonder how Snowbie is getting on, would like to see the pics and cam footage.

Probrably struck by lightning judging by what I endured on Malahide Estuary. It was pretty scary stuff and I am never going to find myself outside in the middle of a respectable (by Irish standards) thunderstorm again so vulnerable. I was right out in the open and I was glad to get back to the house in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Well, we had our bit here in Carlow town, some good flashes, a few rumbles and heavy shower. It was all over, so I thought, was reading through the thread here, went outside for a look and there seems to be a lot of flashes of lightening to my north west/north-north west every 3-5 mins approx. They appear to be some distance off, but bright none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

I think Snowbie will be back online very shortly. And to think that I am within a couple of KMs of the airport and got very little here. The ground was soaked but nothing amazing and not much lightning either....just some distant stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

A lot of activity verrry close together. One huge flash killed our electrics. The storm just disappeared after that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

hiradarzoomv4.pl.png
    2 new cells popped up over louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

darkman2 wrote: »
    Probrably struck by lightning judging by what I endured on Malahide Estuary. It was pretty scary stuff and I am never going to find myself outside in the middle of a respectable (by Irish standards) thunderstorm again so vulnerable. I was right out in the open and I was glad to get back to the house in one piece!

I was going to take a spin myself, until it started pouring rain. It sounds like that storm was directly over you Darkman2. I didn't realise the intensity. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote: »
    Storm is actually intensifying over the midlands - lucky fuppers:P

yeah? sweet. please tell me it's tracking north westwards

highdef wrote: »
    I think Snowbie will be back online very shortly. And to think that I am within a couple of KMs of the airport and got very little here. The ground was soaked but nothing amazing and not much lightning either....just some distant stuff

Yeah that was the experience here but it came quite close at times. The thunder cells seemed unusually local.

Still going here. Close strikes. Very bright - blinding in fact. Still raining. A few forks in it for good measure too! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    I was going to take a spin myself, until it started pouring rain. It sounds like that storm was directly over you Darkman2. I didn't realise the intensity. :o

It was and it was not -- it was extremely local. The Estuary is a couple of feet from me. I had to walk around it to get to the shop so I took a short cut. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

rc28 wrote: »
    louth

Louth? Let them eat cake..

:pac:

Edit. About one flicker a minute here. To distant to excite me yet.

Cake on the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Looks like some of us had fun.Back and in one piece, went to Howth head as you all know and could see the lightning approaching the Wicklow coast then another cell emerged right behind it. Lots of spectacular CG and IC at first and then quiet.

Hail started to fall first and then torrents of rain. Lightning began then just NE of where i was and heading towards N Dublin as Squonk confirms. So off i went again and up to Malahide coast and got a few very bright spider IC across the sky. Havin seen one like that in years and then it stopped.

One fork hit the sea very close to Howth head and loud boom 1 sec later. But all in all another enjoyable drive.

I took a few video shots but mainly in the Car as it was pouring. Hope they come out as i should have at least 1 CG caught.

Thanks to Danno and highdef for updates from radar.

Pushed off NW wards now. Might liven up when it crosses the Slieve Blooms in 10 mins time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Danno wrote: »
    Pushed off NW wards now. Might liven up when it crosses the Slieve Blooms in 10 mins time.

That should please Nacho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Metoffice 00:30 radar shows large red cell over east corkish area but NW radar doesn't really see it. Ones over north Louth still going

Thunder and lightning heading our way here. 4 flashes a minute I think. Looks really spectacular. Dont know whether it will survive the sea but I can see the flashes from here allbit very faint.

Where abouts are ya darkman

Right on the coast between Mullach Ide and Portmarnog.;)

• Advertisement

wish I was in the middle of england right now or france :D

Advertisement