Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Welsh imports 28/7/08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

massive rumble just now. dog has lost it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Thankyou Sirpsycho- I just went outside and caught a huge flash to the east of me, maybe Ashbourne direction. Sky is completely cloudy now. Interesting that none of this is on the radar. This may be the 1st t-storm at night that I have seen in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

out here in luca just started heavy rain no sign of any lightning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Storms seem to be dieing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Still raging away over the north county.

• Advertisement

woo hoo thats it just hitting us in lucan now really powerful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alot of this is very high up and appears for many many miles around. Currently cells are over Dublin North, Carlow/Kilkenny border and drifting slowly northwestwards.

StormVues are having trouble pin-pointing the strikes because they are less than 1 per minute mostly. Also, they are a few miles up in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

NAAS

Big flash and 5 seconds later the thunder. Rain has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

shamwari wrote: »
    Still raging away over the north county.

not in Swords though. One flash of lightning that I've caught plus a lack of corresponding thunder and the rain's died off.

hmmm

Can confirm t-storm kicking off in east meath now- have seen flashes in many directions and thunder is louder now.:D I'll be outside for next while. Breeze is picking up. Unfourtunately the air is too hazy to see the actual forks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I heard a rumble about 11:15 then it starting raining very light, a couple of rumbles could be heard in the distance and I seen 1 (uno) flash of IC lightining.
    Rain rate shot up to about 60 -70mm/hr at a guess, but died down now. Lucky sods down the sticks getting all the action :pac:.

2 BIG flashes here in last 2mins, light rain falling. 4-5km away i'd say. maybe over the brig now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

All quiet here, eagerly awaiting round 2...hopefully

More flashes but I can't go outside now as it has just started raining, big drops too.

Bucketing down in naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Agree that storm has moved north westward - StormVue shows cell pusing in that direction but slighly east of the 'Brig. Rain dying off in Rush at the mo.

rain stoped now in lucan

Faint rumble in Naas. Seems to be moving away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Lightning has stopped here near Portmarnock. Storms appear to be dieing out on radar. They may pep up again later.

• Advertisement

firing up here now - 3 strikes in the last minute or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

darkman2 wrote: »
    They may pep up again later.

Probably will, Latest Hirlam has another batch developing along the same line as the current one, running into North Leinster and North Connacht during the morning. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭squonk

Bit of drama here in Skerries. The storm got closer and closer, the falshes were getting better and better and the rumbles getting louder and louder, and the rain got seriously heavy. Last time I looked I was getting a rain rate of 1.82 inces/hr and then at it's peak, it took out the electricity and the place was plunged into darknes... which was good because you'd get better effect from the lightening without stretlights anyway... but that was the absolute peak and it just stopped afrter that. The rain is dying off now and there have been no more rumbles or lightening sightings since! Mad!!!!

Nothing since my last post and stormvue has gone dead too.

Anti climax here in Naas.

One decent flash and bang, then a slight rumble and even the rain is easing off. Can anyone tell me if I can expect more action here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Rain just starting here, and have heard first rumble of thunder off to my south.

just light rain now. been standing outside for past 10mins just waiting...bl**dy typical :pac:

Right over here now. Rain started too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All gone. Here it was just a couple of mainly distant flashes and rumbles and a heavy rain shower with a sprinkling of hail at the end. Really still and mild out with just the noise of dripping off the trees.

Here's hoping for some more imports overnight! Looks like a cell at the moment just about to about to 'leave' south/mid Wales into Cardigan Bay?

Pretty intense rainfall behing over southern England but dosn't seem to be very electrified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Gas really when you see the diference between how the British and Irish met's classify their warnings. All of Ireland on yellow alert / moderate risk and all of the UK completly green according to MeteoAlarm http://www.meteoalarm.eu/countryIE.asp?Country=IE&lang=EN&ShowDate= and my god they had some bitchin storms down south today. I'd take anything at this stage but not likely down here in Cork tonight.

Advertisement