Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Welsh imports 28/7/08)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just general mid level cloud coming here now. Does not look at all threathening. South of Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford could get hit in the next hour or so.

http://www.sat24.com/images.php?country=fr&sat=&1217270051406

Still 20c here.
    peaked at 22.1c at 715pm.
    Nothing of note sky wise,just wisps overhead in the blue and a bank of high total cloud cover to the far south and south east.

Storms over Wales as said usually de electrify quickly over the Irish sea once they are cooled by that sea.

There was a huge storm in late july 1995 in south wales that did make its way over here though with lots of heavy lightning so it's not impossible ...just highly unlikely or the product of highly unusual circumstances (which despite the heat still out there I don't think we have)
    1995 was an extremely prolonged hot spell.

As for tonight-who knows!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just general mid level cloud coming here now. Does not look at all threathening. South of Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford could get hit in the next hour or so.

http://www.sat24.com/images.php?country=fr&sat=&1217270051406
    Oooh didn't see that till now!
    That must be the bank of cloud I'm see'ing to the south and south east!

It's still showing a lot of lightning even over the sea! I'm doubtfull but we'll see :)

Oooh didn't see that till now!
    That must be the bank of cloud I'm see'ing to the south and south east!

It's still showing a lot of lightning even over the sea! I'm doubtfull but we'll see :)

Fingers crossed. Needless to say the track is not suiting Dublin atm but the storms continue to develope over Wales with perhaps a better track later. Im supprised its made it that far across the sea.

Should be knocking on your door now BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The altocumulus cas are now forming and seem to be high based Cu from them. Defo mid level energy is well established ahead of the front to our south. As that pushes north the storms should track a little north too. These seem to be elevating but unsure of that atm.

• Advertisement

Yup it's here!!!

Constant booms of thunder just to the south and East and getting closer.
    Gone very dark now quickly!

Yup it's here!!!

Constant booms of thunder just to the south and East and getting closer.
    Gone very dark now quickly!

:D This can only mean good times. Nice cell develope over Northern Wales/England now - for the Dubs later;)

highdef wrote: »
    I i might head up to Howth Summit with the video camera and tripod in a while. Are you heading up Snowbie?
    See if they get a little closer to be sure HD and then i will.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Where is the storm approaching Black Briar? The ones on the radar look too far away out at sea.

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

I suspect it's that little lot

The met radar has the rain in over much of wexford now.
    The booms are distant and low still but constant.

• Advertisement

Much closer now.
    I can hear it from here in the house.
    I'm going outside to see what lightning I can observe and will report back in a bit.
    I may have to turn off the pc if this comes in as it sounds angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Had a feeling this lot would deliver. Gone very dark/overcast now. Nice to have it coincide with sundown but the trajectory maybe a little too north for me. Next hour will tell.

Danno you should see a few cracks soon.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very warm and sultry here. Temp 18c. Light Southerly.

I can see that rain on the radar, looks quite close. Unfortunately, I only have a westerly view here so cant see whats happening over the sea...

A

I've seen a few long and distant cloud to cloud flashes so far.
    The thunder ranges from barely audible to low.
    It's out to sea and down towards the East of mid wexford.

It's audible just now from here in the house again.
    It's a brave little welsh import :)

still 19.1c here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭squonk

Balmy evening here in Skerries. No activity just yet. I didn't see any of the anvils you lads saw earlier. 18deg here now but there seems to be a little bit more in the way of cloud forming but it's high cloud so nothing to get worried about just yet. Waiting for that band that's in the Wexford area now to show up

Going up to Howth head to get a better look down the coast and out to sea. Bringin the cam so hopefully have a few shots for later.

Good man snowbie! The cloud here is getting a bit more pronounced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Lovely summer evening - 18 and DP of 16. Clear sky - still no sign of any cloud.

Raining here now with louder thunder and plenty lightning (sheet stuff).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

StratoQ I expect us to be able to view distant flashes from the Mid Wexford Coast storm, if it keeps up, by 1045pm.

I am looking at something developing down south in KK on the sat 24 at the moment. DPs are high enough still at 16c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fog here. Still 18.3c. Looks, and feels, unearthly. 92%rh

lots of forks now :eek: and wall shaking noise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

lots of forks now :eek: and wall shaking noise

Might be time to disconnect your modem.

yes in a minute :D

rain rate isn't too bad
    13.5mm/hr

10mins since I posted the last image and the cell that seems on track for south Dublin appears to have intensified;
    hiradarzoomv4.pl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lightening, thunder here now - just saw a flash outside. Dog jumped.

Going out to investigate...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Flashes visible to my south east now, lighting up the clouds from behind with dramatic effect.

Most activity seems to be out to sea at the moment... hopefuly will see some action this side of dublin before it gets past my bed time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Will that weaken or strengthen as it heads north west? I'm in Dublin looking for some action. Balmy at the moment...

Advertisement