Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Welsh imports 28/7/08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭squonk

Oh here we go. The clouds are getting heavier and I just heard a rumble. didn't seee lightening however. Bit of a breeze starting now too... coolish.... omg just seen a decent flash... might have to go on battery power soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

First drops of rain just reaching here now, however no lightning seen for the last 5-10 minutes or so, was pretty much constant at 2-3 flashes per minute a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

managed to just about catch one strike on camera before the rain started. intense... maxed at 130.6mm/hr
    still rumblimg away
    EDT: rain almost stopped here now...strange you can see your breathe outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭highdef

Distant flash of lightning to my east followed by low rumble some 30 seconds later. Rain has just begun. Very big drops

• Advertisement

latest flash looked to be just off coast from dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

trogdor wrote: »
    managed to just about catch one strike on camera before the rain started

Would this be some good advice? Any quick tips from the master? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

This thing might have died a bit over the see, expect it to become intense again once it trundles inland...:eek:

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. Expecitn ghe rain any time now as well. Definitely an improvement though on the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus what a storm, it passed over quick but got about 10 really good flashes which lit up the whole sky, best I have seen in years

• Advertisement

Rains stopped...back to the seafront with the camera!!!

It's intensifying I think slightly. Rumbles getting closer to the lightening and the lightening is getting more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

locn: Swords, distant rumble; think the air temp has dropped (no air therm, sorry) ever so slightly.

came on here cos I know you guys do a weather commentary for something like that. I'm getting that you've thunder in Howth and Balbriggan...how likely is it to get closer to me? cos if it does I might have a shot at trying to photograph it.

another distant rumble. Not seeing lightning though so it must still be a way off.

Well from here it's to my SE so that means it's out at sea. Hard to tell because I don't have decent radar but it might die out as it hits land. Just started rainging now. My stats: 17.5 deg RH 90 and it's just started to bucket down. Very nasty! I presume the lads are off the head... not a place to be right now!

As predicted its gaining in intensity. Three massive flashes off the coast of Rush in the past minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nice thunder storm going here for the past 30 mins or so. South Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Getting closer here now. About 15 miles. Can hear thunder now. Stars overhead. Flashes to the SouthEast, and East.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Only the odd distant flash and rumble here atm but it is p***ing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Danno wrote: »
    Amazing fork of purple and blue to my SE down one side of Kilkenny City. Looks mad down there!

At 10:45 couldnt wait for the storms to arrive. So took my son out for a drive out the Carlow road. We headed out beyond Paulstown and we counted 21 distinct flashes in 30 minutes. Then the rain came so we headed back.

I always think its a terrible waste when a TS occurs in the day. At least with this one the timing was A1.

Still going too. There goes another flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Now raining in Swords, nothing much else happening though. still nothing more than a distant rumble though...rain starrting to get a little heavier but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Huge flash ran from Carlow to Kilkenny. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Thunderstorm went on 10.30pm til 11.30pm here in Dun Laoghaire. Pelting rain began near the end. Quite a show :)

How accurate is Stormvue? Flashes all around me here and they are not being echoed on scree...http://www.irlweather.com/StormVue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

rc28, where about are u? i'm in stamullen and just heard a rumble... another just this second.

Pretty intense here atm. Mostly IC stuff bnit a good stike or two every minute

sirpsycho wrote: »
    rc28, where about are u? i'm in stamullen and just heard a rumble... another just this second.

Really?? I'm southeast of Dunshaughlin but I'll take a walk outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

West Wicklow near Carlow, thunder and impressive lightening 10-15 minutes ago and then very very heavy rain still some rumbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Here in Naas. Flashes to the south west started about a half hour ago. Gardually got stronger. Just heard a rumble. Is that the one heading from Laois carlow area?

• Advertisement

Sorry, stormvue has just updated. The cell of Rush / Skerries is clearly visible now

Advertisement