Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

rogercar wrote: »
    But that is not very realistic. In real life people keep in touch with their friends at least, if not their family. We all text, e-mail, skype etc. Okay we might not be in daily contact, but we touch base, especially where close friends are concerned and occassionally we might go off and join them for a holiday whether it would be a long weekend or afew weeks. We all knew that Orla was in London and I think that Keith and Niambh mentioned her now and then. But if somone disappeared into thin air, surely someones suspicions would be aroused.

I know it isn't realistic, just stating what Fair City seem to do.. once they leave, it seems that is it... Noone talks about you, mentions you.. the only one I recall was Ali, she got a few mentions by Carol.

I suppose they will build that story up again, when the time is right...
    ameliajane wrote:
    Thanks very much for the warm welcome Angel. I would like to know what is Christy going to do with the shop? Will he change it or keep it the way it is? Did he take on some of Bob's ideas?

I am not sure what Christy could do as in my opinion, he doesn't have much space to play with, unless they move him out of living there and get him staying elsewhere.

If they converted his living quarters into part of the new shop, it would make a huge difference!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

angel01 wrote: »
    I actually think Dermot is a very underrused and under appreciated character. I do hate the way the writers portray him as this thick character who is so blind to Jo's behaviour... He deserves better :(:(

Very true. If you remember when he first came into the show he was a sharp, career driven politician who'd never let anyone pull the wool over his eyes...

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah jaysis. He's in bits now and he was in bits then. Tell your GF to stop talking crazy :)

She's me ex now...:D

I hope herself and Dermie are very happy together...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Very true. If you remember when he first came into the show he was a sharp, career driven politician who'd never let anyone pull the wool over his eyes...

Well said Silvio. Dante That is exactly what Dermot was like. You hit the nail on the head.

I like the way Ray signed Sean's petition three times for Christy to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Why does Christy put so much stock outside the door of his shop? We're not living in 1950's Ireland anymore. In the real world, that stuff would be robbed within an hour, especially as Christy keeps the shop door closed all the time.
    And why on earth were Louie and Bob so keen to buy the place? Apart from the fact that they have their own private vendetta going, it seems stupid to invest in a corner shop these days especially as so many of them have gone to the wall. Anyone would think there was a secret diamond mine underneath Christy's shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Anyone would think there was a secret diamond mine underneath Christy's shop :rolleyes:

Spoiler alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

rogercar wrote: »
    But if somone disappeared into thin air, surely someones suspicions would be aroused.

yeah this is a serious hole in their plot.. The family would have got worried after a few days, then would have gone to the guards and checked whether she had actually boarded the plane and who was last to see her..

ameliajane wrote: »
    Well said Silvio. Dante That is exactly what Dermot was like. You hit the nail on the head.
    Aww shucks. It's not often someone agrees with me...:o

Dermot would have sold his granny to get the Fianna Fail(the party was never named) nomination for the dail election...

yeah this is a serious hole in their plot.. The family would have got worried after a few days, then would have gone to the guards and checked whether she had actually boarded the plane and who was last to see her..

I understand what you are saying but I just want to explain that this is not always the case. I remember when the horrific Fred West murders were first reported back in 1995 the victims had not been reported by their families to be missing. They were drifters. These were the people the Wests preyed on because they knew that they would not be missed. Sometimes sadly, some familes are so dysfunctional that family members are not missed for a long time.

• Advertisement

What sort of relationship did the character Sarah have with her family? She could be close to her family. I have forgotten those details so that is why I mentioned this example. The West case is obviously an exceptional case and most people are reported missing immediately. That is a normal response. I just felt I should highlight the exceptional cases that I had heard about because it can occur too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Did I dream this or did somebody here say Sarah's mother was going to come in and strike up a relationship with Barry or Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

It must have been some party if Jo is still tired 3 days later !!!! :eek:
    Dermot is so gullible :mad:

Once again Carry On Fair City....

Carol: "Do you think Sash will be able to handle it all on her own".
    Louis: "I'd say Sash could handle ANYTHING".

faircity_kennethwilliams.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The face on Cardill walking down the street there :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ha ha love it jonathan!

ameliajane wrote: »
    What sort of relationship did the character Sarah have with her family? She could be close to her family. I have forgotten those details so that is why I mentioned this example. The West case is obviously an exceptional case and most people are reported missing immediately. That is a normal response. I just felt I should highlight the exceptional cases that I had heard about because it can occur too.

To be honest, I have also known people that moved away from family and the family never bothered contacting them, it does happen. Not everyone is close to family..

What was Carol's accent about, walking down the street with Bob? :eek:

angel01 wrote: »

What was Carol's accent about, walking down the street with Bob? :eek:
    The face on Cardill walking down the street there :confused:

The accent and the face :cool:

Ha ha love it jonathan!

Dont thank me.. Thank the Fair City writers.. :D

Dermot: "Joe do we not have to finish off that 'game of scrabble' we started earlier..".. :D:D dear god..

I wish they would give Bob a decent storyline.. He seems to be just skulking around like The Child Snatcher these days.. commenting on other people then walking off... He's the best thing Fair City have, and he's underused..

That shirt really brings out the blue in Louis' eyes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Tommy is so smarmy.....always has that stupid smirk on his face. :mad:

David needs to go to bed, yet it is really bright outside? :rolleyes:

Poor aul Dermosh.

It's just embarrassing him begging for se%.

Poor aul Dermosh.
    It's just embarrassing him begging for se%.

I wonder does Dean still have Tracey's number ;-)

I worked out where Louis got the hairstyle...

louisdefonz.jpg

De Northside Fonz

Think you were fed up with David carrying bags, cups of tea, balancing etc., just wait to you see how many times the TV Licence is mentioned (ways to pay, stamps, etc) when/if Christy gets his An Post franchise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deelite wrote: »
    Think you were fed up with David carrying bags, cups of tea, balancing etc., just wait to you see how many times the TV Licence is mentioned (ways to pay, stamps, etc) when/if Christy gets his An Post franchise.....

It's called product placement, An Post are paying for this, ah the new product placement rules from the BAI, already happening over on Ros Na Run with their Centra Franchise. One of the rules is that the sponsor cannot edit the script in anyway.

Elmo wrote: »
    It's called product placement, An Post are paying for this, ah the new product placement rules from the BAI, already happening over on Ros Na Run with their Centra Franchise. One of the rules is that the sponsor cannot edit the script in anyway.

I've seen the PP warning at the start of the Late Show - does this now mean that we will see PP at the start of Fair City. Sometime back I noticed that in most of the kitchen scenes there were a number of Kelloggs cereal boxes conveniently placed - there was no PP warning then.

I wonder how much An Post are paying for this - considering on This Morning some company paid over 100K to have their coffee machine placed in the kitchen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

This is going to be nerdy, but at least it's conclusive.

I'm watching Thursday's episode from David's first scene. Here's what he and the ther actors are doing with their hands.

1. David is making a phone call. Esther is eating breakfast.
    2. Dermot is balancing a notebook on a large book and writing recipes into it. Jo is rattling keys and putting her handbag away.
    3. Christy is stocking shelves. Sean is making a Suggestion Box and presenting some petition forms.
    4. Orla and Jo are drinking coffee. Suzanne works the register. Tommy picks up a menu. Sash presents money and takes her change. David and Suzanne hug.
    5. Carol is drinking tea and flicking through a newspaper. Yvonne picks up and organises her phone and handbag. Louie closes a door.

And so on, ad infinitum. EVERY character in EVERY scene does something with their hands, or carries something, or opens and shuts a door, or puts something away. ACTORS LIKE TO BE DOING THINGS. If you put those ten or tweve people in order of the difficulty of what their hands do, David and Louie would be joint last.

There is no special treatment here, and no point being made. Just a lot of people who aren't used to seeing a disabled person on television in a role that is not defined by his disability.

That's very understandable, and I wouldn't hassle anyone for it. I'm always hyper-aware of someone's disability at first, before things settle down into normal conversation. It's a human thing - but we shouldn't project it onto Fair City. In this one instance, they are breaking real boundaries, and doing it quietly and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Fair City is very blah at the moment for sure.
    Agree Dermot needs to see what's right under his nose!
    As if Christy would be so supportive of Carol now. He's not a saint!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement