Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer win Irish DTT, but pull out.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

watty wrote: »
    +1
    Not enough PVRs yet. In long term +1 channels are dead. Your PVR will like Tivo automatically record something logged as normally watched.

RTE3
    Classic multi-channel program fragmentation. There are maybe less UK & Irish programs getting produced than in 1979. Less good ones. There is really only enough TV for 4 to 6 good channels if you ruled out repeats, rubbish quiz/reality TV and US imports, and enough Imports for one channel (TV 3 or Sky 1 is evidence?)

British TV
    Even before Digital Satellite BBC/ITV FTA, 75% of households had ITV. British TV has been watched since before 1962 RTE. All the main UK channels are now free on Satellite, so the 38% that can't get UPC can get them.

Was thinking about the restrictions on C4's programming and Fives current absence. If they were available unrestricted with a few others like ITV being on the Sky EPG there would be little need for RTE to waste licence payers money on American imports.

With RTE3 I think BBC Three is the obvious example in that it broadcasts only half the day yet is still 80% repeats. I see no reason to waste money and DTT space on that kind of service.

While PVRs may not be widespread enough yet I still don't see why investment should be made into something that is going to disappear when PVRs become widespread, and with Sky's offers and the lower of Third party kit prices it won't be more than 10 years before most homes will be PVR capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Was thinking about the restrictions on C4's programming and Fives current absence. If they were available unrestricted with a few others like ITV being on the Sky EPG there would be little need for RTE to waste licence payers money on American imports.

RTE spend about 20,000,000 each year on imports (11,000 hours), this earned back in advertising revenue (2 fold est.) and I some don't think RTE actually use the Licence Fee for Imports, in fact these imports proable provide a profit to RTE helping them to produce more programming.

I would rather RTE 3 and 4 to plus one services, BBC have it right with BBC3 and 4 providing repeats at different times rather then the following hour.

I was reading an article after the launch of C4+1 which suggested that any plus one channels should really be the same schedule but the next day. They suggested that if a viewer is talking to someone the next day about one of C4s shows that they had missed, it would be more suitable to repeat the show the next day so that they could catch the show then.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

While PVRs may not be widespread enough yet I still don't see why investment should be made into something that is going to disappear when PVRs become widespread, and with Sky's offers and the lower of Third party kit prices it won't be more than 10 years before most homes will be PVR capable.

Maybe, but don't forget this is RTÉ setting it up. RTÉ are already equipped to run multiple channels. It's hardly going to cost a huge amount to set up (I'm guessing). They have to switch to digital anyway. I doubt this adds any significant cost.

Also just thinking, I'm not so sure TV3 will change the name of C6. I seem to be in the core demographic for C6, and most people I know have a fairly good opinion of C6, but a fairly low one of TV3. Also the fact that 6 is 3+3 or 3x2 could be just as useful for advertising. The fact that it has a channel space on UPC appropriate to its number is also a reason to keep the name (or at least number). Maybe they'd change it to TV6 or something. But I think it would be a misstep to make it "3 something".

And I agree a shuffled RTÉ 1 would be preferrable to a timeshift. I think they should instead create RTÉ Four. Then they should spread out first-showings over the channels (e.g. by genre - the way C6 spreads over the week). Then fill in the gaps with repeats from other RTÉ channels.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTE spend about 20,000,000 each year on imports (11,000 hours), this earned back in advertising revenue (2 fold est.) and I some don't think RTE actually use the Licence Fee for Imports, in fact these imports proable provide a profit to RTE helping them to produce more programming.

Can you provide a source for this '2 fold' claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hmm, dunno if it will be quite that high .

There is a programmed deficit of about 140 transmitters, they propose to build 40 and we need perhaps 180 to get 100% Universal coverage or 120 to get 99% coverage ..without forcing householders to install massive aerials costing a fortune.

We went over this ages back around this page of this thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56470464&highlight=coverage#post56470464

Depends how soon and where the money is coming from for more than the initial 13 RTE sites.

• Advertisement

Can you provide a source for this '2 fold' claim?

I cannot. But TV3 earn 63,000,000 a year in advertising revenue, spending 6.3million on Salaries (see Irish Examiner), and while I don't have the amount of money the spend on Import I can only suggest that the spend less then 20,000,000 on their imports since they have requirments to provide 25% of Irish programming in the schedule 11,000 hours = 30hours per day. TV3 does not broadcast for 24per day. So TV3 are earning a huge amount from imports.

But then I did say that my 2 fold claim is an estimate. This estimate is taking into count what TV3 and RTE earn each year. See

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=164
    http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report07_english.pdf

For futher information and make up your own mind.

But as I said its only an estimate.

I cannot. But TV3 earn 63,000,000 a year in advertising revenue, spending 6.3million on Salaries (see Irish Examiner), and while I don't have the amount of money the spend on Import I can only suggest that the spend less then 20,000,000 on their imports since they have requirments to provide 25% of Irish programming in the schedule 11,000 hours = 30hours per day. TV3 does not broadcast for 24per day. So TV3 are earning a huge amount from imports.

But then I did say that my 2 fold claim is an estimate. This estimate is taking into count what TV3 and RTE earn each year. See

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=164
    http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report07_english.pdf

For futher information and make up your own mind.

But as I said its only an estimate.

Unless you can prove this 20,000,000 and '2 fold' claim all this is pointless.

I could say anything I want, but If I haven't got proof then I'm not right am I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why is it pointless even if he cannot prove it ( and I suspect he is close)
    I could say anything I want, but If I haven't got proof then I'm not right am I?

Ever heard of educated guesses, you are entitled to one of them too :D

duty_calls.png

I suspect pinched from http://xkcd.com/
    (Thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cas2007

watty nice picture lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I would suspect Elmo is not far from the mark as well and having seen quite a good few of his posts over the years I am on here (6) he dosent tend to post spurious rubbish.

Only sometimes rubbish. But then it's entertaining. I think this time Elmo is close.

I hope Elmos fanboy is not BrianD being very naughty :p

I hope Elmos fanboy is not BrianD being very naughty

What now??????

Thanks everyone for backing me up but it is only an educated guess and JanusGeminius doesn't have to take it for fact, I did say it was an estimate and I did try to back that estimate up.

watty wrote: »
    duty_calls.png

I suspect pinched from http://xkcd.com/
    (Thanks)

Funny.
    I would suspect Elmo is not far from the mark as well and having seen quite a good few of his posts over the years I am on here (6) he dosent tend to post spurious rubbish.

But Seriously, you can't really post something based on facts and figures if you are guessing on those facts and figures. I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year, doesn't make it right. Estimation is nothing but useless rubbish, you need to deal in hard, verifiable facts.

But Seriously, you can't really post something based on facts and figures if you are guessing on those facts and figures. I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year, doesn't make it right. Estimation is nothing but useless rubbish, you need to deal in hard, verifiable facts.

Fact

RTE spend 24,000,000 euro on Imports, giving access to 11,000 hours of programming, 30hours of programming per day.
    In House productions came to 182,000,000
    RTE 1 has a 26% audience share
    RTE 2 has an 11% audience share
    In 2007 RTE TV earned 156,000,000 in advertising reveune (not including sponsorship)
    In 2007 TV3 earned 63,000,000 euro
    TV3 must provide a certain amount of Irish programming (25% AFAIK)
    TV3 do not run a 24 hour TV service
    TV3 have 13% share of the audience

IMO TV3 do not spend anymore then 20,000,000 on imported shows, according to TV3, TG4 and RTE they each spend 2,000 euro per hour on imported programming.

Basing it on these figures and these figures alone I am suggesting that RTE earn about 40,000,000 in advertising revenue from their imported shows, giving them a profit of 20,000,000 to invest in other aspect of RTE.

Now thats how I come to my estimate, IMO RTE make a huge profit on imports each year.

You can read their annual report and come to some other conclusion.
    I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year

You could, but I would hope that you know what kind of profit/loss they make each or have some other information on which you could base your figure of 10,000 people.

We can make estimations, I never suggested that my estimation was a fact. I came to an estimation from figures that are available to the public. I have facts on which to base my estimation.

QED

Fact

RTE spend 24,000,000 euro on Imports, giving access to 11,000 hours of programming, 30hours of programming per day.
    In House productions came to 182,000,000
    RTE 1 has a 26% audience share
    RTE 2 has an 11% audience share
    RTE TV earn 156,000,000 in advertising reveune
    In 2008 TV3 earned 63,000,000 euro
    TV3 must provide a certain amount of Irish programming (25% AFAIK)
    TV3 do not run a 24 hour TV service
    TV3 do not spend anymore then 20,000,000 on imported shows
    TV3 have 13% share of the audience

Basing it on these figures and these figures alone I am suggesting that RTE earn about 40,000,000 in advertising revenue from their imported shows, giving them a profit of 20,000,000 to invest in other aspect of RTE.

Now thats how I come to my estimate, RTE make a profit on imports each year.

You can read their annual report and come to some other conclusion.

You are of course making the assumption that the Imports add value to the adverts? If they don't then it's not a profit as the same amount of money would be made from indigenous content. Given that RTE has giant viewing figures it's difficult to see how the advert revenue would increase, as the most viewed shows aren't the imports.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Can we please move on from this...

Anyway, the thread is about Boxer winning DTT licences, not how TV3 and RTÉ spend their money!

Anyway, the thread is about Boxer winning DTT licences, not how TV3 and RTÉ spend their money!

Sorry byte just to answer the last point and I will say no more.
    You are of course making the assumption that the Imports add value to the adverts?

No, I do not.

If I spend 2,000 euro on an Imported show and earn 100,000 I make a profit.
    If I spend 100,000 euro on a home produced show and earn 100,000 I breakeven.

E.G. Fair City breakseven but pulls in the advertisers. EastEnders has the same number of viewer but cost a lot less hence making bigger profits. Both shows earned the same amount of money. TV is expensive to make, hence the attraction to buy imports. If RTE removed their imports they would only have a few hours of TV.

That is it I will stop going off the topic and I applogise to the mods for changing the subject.

Stuff like that should be in the Broadcasting Forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

getting back on track, can anyone honestly see how boxer will have their predicted 215,000 customers by 2013? I cant unless they give away their service for a euro a month for the first 6 months or something like that.

50,000 per year... Not impossible.

But only about 300,000 non-pay households left. I can't see many desertions from Sky/UPC.

I'd have thought 60,000 to 180,000 is more realistic. But only a gut feeling.

They could always provide people with a free box, with a months worth of free subscription and once the month is up, take all of the Pay Channels away from customers asking them to call the following number if they wish to retain their Pay TV packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i reckon they will offer the box free with a 12month sub.. After 12months the box is yours
    Some people will get boxer as is may be more cost effective to subscribe for 1yr rather than buy a stb outright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm hoping stbs will come in under 50 euro when things getting going?

It won't be long till Dunnes has them at 34.95

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

According to yesterday's Sunday Times, STBs for the new DTT service after 2012 will cost around €150....

*sigh*:rolleyes:

Not AFTER 2012 but initially ( wholesale small quantities) maybe , then they will be subsidised to under €100 to get traction.

Newspapers are comics for big people. Don't take them too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

if people are slow to take up boxer's service.. Prices will quickly drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement