Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mattser wrote: »
    Pay for priority.

But even if I pay for priority (which I don't want to do, I don't give a toss where I sit!) if the bag doesn't conform to the size rule will I be charged extra? I don't want it in the cabin with me, don't care if it goes in the hold, I'll be waiting for baggage anyhow.

Think I'll just be packing it into the checked in bag altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

Ryanair is just a stress fest until you get off the plane. Fights to Munich next Friday. Will they cancel? Who knows? Is it financially to their advantage to cancel late, as they might only have to refund you the fare if you can't travel. Under the eu rules dont they have to pay for alternative flights if you have an opportunity to get them? I see a post in the Indo comments to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

deezell wrote: »
    Ryanair is just a stress fest until you get off the plane. Fights to Munich next Friday. Will they cancel? Who knows? Is it financially to their advantage to cancel late, as they might only have to refund you the fare if you can't travel. Under the eu rules dont they have to pay for alternative flights if you have an opportunity to get them? I see a post in the Indo comments to this effect.

Remember only 2% of flights are getting cancelled, leaving a massive 98% of flights still operating.

If your flight is cancelled, you're entitled to €250/€400 compensation per person depending on the distance of your flight (EU261 directive). This is on top of your rerouting or refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Almost €2 BILLION wiped off Ryanair value since Thursday. Near 9% drop in share price.

ECJ Ruling was part of it, but about €1.5 BILLION is from the cancellation issue.

Can't see shareholders being happy with that and I'm sure one or two heads will roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is there an explanation as to how they managed to screw up staff leave so badly?

• Advertisement

Is there an explanation as to how they managed to screw up staff leave so badly?

They don't have enough staff, if they had given leave over the summer they'd have to cancel flights too. Simply not enough staff, they were simply delaying the issue until after the peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They don't have enough staff, if they had given leave over the summer they'd have to cancel flights too. Simply not enough staff, they were simply delaying the issue until after the peak season.

would it not make more sense for them to hire in contract staff or even wet lease planes? all those eu261 claims must really add up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Combination of many things especially nbot leaving any contingency room during the summer.

Airport delays, air traffic delays, weather delays, holidays pushed back, some staff leaving - combination of all means that pilots especially have reached maximum flight time quicker than normally.

Very few available pilots with spare hours elft at this time of year as similar problems affect many airlines, but they all had better cointingency plans.

Utter PR disaster for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

There is absolutely no doubt that RY has been good for Ireland. Very good. Took the monopoly away from AL who seemingly charged what they liked for flights before the introduction of RY. That has now definitely changed for the better.

They were never a people friendly airline at any point but nearly everyone understood what they were about and accordingly played by the (RY) rules. There was complaints but mostly from passengers who 'strayed' from the rules and these people on the whole were given short shift by other travellers.

Ryanair were(are) very good at what it says on the tin, moving people from A to B with no frills.

That they also don't really seem to care about their customers is a given. The splitting up passengers on the same booking unless they purchase seats together not one of their finer moments.

That so many pilots jumped ship at the first oppportunity would suggest their relationship with staff is not all MOL cracks it up to be.

And they are not always the cheapest airline. despite claiming to be so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SteM

joeysoap wrote: »
    There is absolutely no doubt that RY has been good for Ireland. Very good. Took the monopoly away from AL who seemingly charged what they liked for flights before the introduction of RY. That has now definitely changed for the better.

They were never a people friendly airline at any point but nearly everyone understood what they were about and accordingly played by the (RY) rules. There was complaints but mostly from passengers who 'strayed' from the rules and these people on the whole were given short shift by other travellers.

Ryanair were(are) very good at what it says on the tin, moving people from A to B with no frills.

That they also don't really seem to care about their customers is a given. The splitting up passengers on the same booking unless they purchase seats together not one of their finer moments.

That so many pilots jumped ship at the first oppportunity would suggest their relationship with staff is not all MOL cracks it up to be.

And they are not always the cheapest airline. despite claiming to be so.

They claim to always be the cheapest airline? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They are most of the time, but not all of the time and their special offer fares are lower than other airlines special offer fares.

SteM wrote: »
    They claim to always be the cheapest airline? Really?

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/about-ryanair/our-guarantees

But who would be bothered to try and extract money out of Ryanair.

I'll add this bit. Flying to Faro for October Bh. Flying out with RY as they were the cheapest
    returning with AL as they were the cheapest. I have no problem with that, but RY shouldn't claim they are always the cheapest. I know it's not true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have Ryanair said they are always the cheapest ? I can't recall ever seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Remember only 2% of flights are getting cancelled, leaving a massive 98% of flights still operating.

If your flight is cancelled, you're entitled to €250/€400 compensation per person depending on the distance of your flight (EU261 directive). This is on top of your rerouting or refund.

Does this compensation apply if your flights are cancelled (as in they cancel the one you were booked on, offer you another, but that doesn't suit so you just cancel) and you got a refund, or on flights where the original was cancelled, they offer an alternative (perhaps cutting a day or so off your trip) which you take from them.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Have Ryanair said they are always the cheapest ? I can't recall ever seeing that.

the link in the above post claims they are, guarantees it no less.

yabadabado wrote: »

they even guarantee it :)

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/about-ryanair/our-guarantees

I know Ryanair is usually cheaper than anyone else, just not always.

My flight is one of the Ines cancelled but I haven't been emailed this yet. What constitutes 'notified' for the purpose of claiming compensation. And if I am entitled to claim exactly HOW do I go about this?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Notified is when you get the email.

Write them a letter/email claiming your EU261 or let a 3rd party company claim on your behalf.

No, you do it online Fred,

https://eu261expenseclaim.ryanair.com

You also claim the refund/change flights online or in the chat room.

Notified is when you get the email.

Write them a letter/email claiming your EU261 or let a 3rd party company claim on your behalf.

Perfect. Thanks. I shall await my email so. After tomorrow they are within the 14 days I can claim so.....

I just let the chasers do it for me. ;)

Is there much of a fee?

Cost me nothing.

You know what I meant Fred ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I wonder did anyone on this thead actually read/listen to MO'L?

He said -

They lost about 100 to Norwegian, who are paying a 10k€ bonus for 737 captains in Dublin.

They have enough staff but not enough 1st officers. Each new aircraft delivered requires 20 staff, including 4 cockpit staff. Staff turnover is "the normal, for airlines"

He admitted they had cocked up, the IIA had insisted that the latest EU directive on holidays, etc., be implemented in 2017, all holliers have to be taken in the calendar year, Jan-Dec; RyR has an April-April year.

The whole thing is a short hairs issue. They fessed up.

The meja loves MO'L, and love to have a go at him.

BarryM wrote: »

They lost about 100 to Norwegian, who are paying a 10k€ bonus for 737 captains in Dublin.

Clearly you didn't, as it is ryanair offering the €10K bonus, and Europe wide, not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

20K on the news this morning, but, typical of M O'L, he has to dictate the terms to the staff. Not payable to October 2018, 800 hours min, etc. He doesn't get it. He's in a seller's market. Pilots can tell him to take an F-ing Flying jump, pardon the pun. The shop has almost no Frozen dolls left for Xmas Michael, you don't get to tell the shopkeeper how much and when you'll pay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Actually Michael O'Leary is doing a good job of managing this whole incident so far if you ask me.

He's calm, assured and fronting up and taking responability for the issue even though it's likely that it was not directly under his control - but he realises something that a lot of senior people in companies don't - blame culture is not going to achieve anything or fix the issue so instead of that he is taking the pressure off the staff in other departmnts and placing it on himself.

He could have gone out there with a whole lot of spin and rhetoric with a PR person in tow and dress it up, but he didn't do that because as much as he likes to play the fool from time to time he is far from stupid. He has either been extremely well briefed or he is very clued up on how to handle these things, I have seen many CEO's in crisis over the years and MOL handled it better than most.

He could have been more interested in massaging his own ego and shifting the blame to other people but he decided to put the company before that. I can tell you that if some of my managers had that attitude in the past rather than going into hiding and blaming all the bad stuff on someone else things would have been massively better.

Also a lot of the media storm is because it's Ryanair, think about how many other airlines have had incidents over the past few years and how many have cancelled flights due to IT system failures, strikes and other kinds of disruption, it's been far higher than 2% of their flights that have been hit, but that doesn't make the front pages because it's not Ryanair.

Advertisement