Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

RoYoBo wrote: »
    The post you quoted is more than 9 years old!:eek:

So it is. This new Boards layout is pants. It was showing as a recent post. I've changed back to the classic layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭deezell

Incidentally, I recently flew from LBA to DUB with Ryanair. Since Ryanair doesn't respect the CTA agreement in that British and Irish citizens are entitle to roam the CTA without the need to carry a passport, I showed Ryanair staff my passport card at the boarding gate at LBA. When I arrived in DUB, I showed the GNIB my UK NUS card and he waved me through. *Irish GNIB staff are respecting the CTA agreement*.

On my return from DUB to LBA later that day. I again showed Ryanair boarding gate staff, this time at DUB, my passport card and then, to my suprise, when I landed in LBA the immigration staff wanted "passports" from everybody disembarking the aircraft. I showed them my NUS card, as I showed their Irish counterparts. They didn't like it and asked me for something else. So I showed them my UK driving licence, which they did accept. *British immigration staff are NOT respecting the CTA agreement*.
    Disembarked at Birmingham recently and everyone just walked out like it was a bus station.

deezell wrote: »
    Disembarked at Birmingham recently and everyone just walked out like it was a bus station.

Weird, isn't it. So inconsistent. LBA is usually like that, too. Don't know why on Thursday last week they decided to treat this inbound CTA flight as if it were foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Weird, isn't it. So inconsistent. LBA is usually like that, too. Don't know why on Thursday last week they decided to treat this inbound CTA flight as if it were foreign.

Gearing up for Britain leaving the EU Common Travel Area perhaps ?

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    Gearing up for Britain leaving the EU Common Travel Area perhaps ?

Well, the Common Travel Area isn't anything to do with the EU and both the UK and Ireland have insisted that they remain commited to preserving the CTA agreement when the UK leaves the EU. So it can't be that.

Well, the Common Travel Area isn't anything to do with the EU and both the UK and Ireland have insisted that they remain commited to preserving the CTA agreement when the UK leaves the EU. So it can't be that.

I wouldn`t be to sure on that.

When Britain leaves the EU, I cannot see them just allowing passengers from Ireland swan through their passport and custom control without at least checking passports.
    Otherwise what is to stop any other EU nationals using Ireland to access Britain and bypass passport and customs ?

I wouldn`t be to sure on that.

When Britain leaves the EU, I cannot see them just allowing passengers from Ireland swan through their passport and custom control without at least checking passports.
    Otherwise what is to stop any other EU nationals using Ireland to access Britain and bypass passport and customs ?
    Well, it’s the same as is currently, in that any non-EU national can enter the UK (mainland or NI) via ROI, unchecked.

The British and Irish governments are exploring possibilities. The CTA must be maintained. No one on either side of the ROI/NI border wants to see the reerrection of border checks and, at the same time, it would be deeply unpopular to demand that people should need a passport to travel from one area of a country to another, without passing through any international border (I’m referring to the question of checks between NI and the UK mainland).

Well, it’s the same as is currently, in that any non-EU national can enter the UK (mainland or NI) via ROI, unchecked.

The British and Irish governments are exploring possibilities. The CTA must be maintained. No one on either side of the ROI/NI border wants to see the reerrection of border checks and, at the same time, it would be deeply unpopular to demand that people should need a passport to travel from one area of a country to another, without passing through any international border (I’m referring to the question of checks between NI and the UK mainland).

Britain exiting the EU will include NI, so I do not see why there would be passport checks between NI and the UK mainland ?

Britain may be paying lip service to the CTA now for their own reasons, (mainly the EU Customs Union imo), but once they leave that, which they have stated they will, then can you really see them leaving a backdoor route open to any EU national that wishes to simply come to this country and then travel to NI or the UK without there being passport and customs control at the point of entry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

LBA was mentioned on ' talk to Joe' show a few weeks ago about immigration there insisting there was no CTA in place with Ireland.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    LBA was mentioned on ' talk to Joe' show a few weeks ago about immigration there insisting there was no CTA in place with Ireland.
    Madness. Ignorant or stupid? Or coy?

Madness. Ignorant or stupid? Or coy?

If Britain leave the Single Market and Customs Union I cannot see them looking on the CTA as anything other than irrelevant.
    During their Brexit referendum one of the key issues that swung it in favour of the leave campaign was immigration.
    If, or when they leave, can you honestly see them just allowing anyone arriving from Ireland swan through without there being passport control ?

If Britain leave the Single Market and Customs Union I cannot see them looking on the CTA as anything other than irrelevant.
    During their Brexit referendum one of the key issues that swung it in favour of the leave campaign was immigration.
    If, or when they leave, can you honestly see them just allowing anyone arriving from Ireland swan through without there being passport control ?

You really have to separate the CTA agreement from being anything to with the EU, or even Europe, for that matter. British and Irish people (long before British or Irish citizens even existed) have been free to travel among the CTA (the British and Irish islands) for many centuries, long before the EU was even thought of.

The status quo is that a national of any country is able to enter the state of the UK from the state of Ireland (or vice-versa) with ease, on account of the bi-product of the century old CTA agreement - not only British and Irish citizens now reside in abundance in these islands. The only difference Brexit will bring, is that rather than just non-EU nationals being able to enter the UK illegally from Ireland, EU nationals will be able to, too.

Note that entering a country without permission isn't desirable for anybody. Is it likely that, post-Brexit, many EU nationals will seek to enter the UK illegally via Ireland? If restrictions are placed on EU nationals engaging in employment in the UK, will a significant number of EU nationals seek to evade this by taking the back-door to Britain, via Ireland, then working in the UK's black market?

Random immigration/Garda/customs checks at J18 just off the M1. I have been caught in the queues a few times but always waved through when I get to the checkpoint. Garda check the windscreen (silly in this day and age) for tax etc. And there is a visable armed presence.

You really have to separate the CTA agreement from being anything to with the EU, or even Europe, for that matter. British and Irish people (long before British or Irish citizens even existed) have been free to travel among the CTA (the British and Irish islands) for many centuries, long before the EU was even thought of.

The status quo is that a national of any country is able to enter the state of the UK from the state of Ireland (or vice-versa) with ease, on account of the bi-product of the century old CTA agreement - not only British and Irish citizens now reside in abundance in these islands. The only difference Brexit will bring, is that rather than just non-EU nationals being able to enter the UK illegally from Ireland, EU nationals will be able to, too.

Note that entering a country without permission isn't desirable for anybody. Is it likely that, post-Brexit, many EU nationals will seek to enter the UK illegally via Ireland? If restrictions are placed on EU nationals engaging in employment in the UK, will a significant number of EU nationals seek to evade this by taking the back-door to Britain, via Ireland, then working in the UK's black market?

I really do not see how you can separate the CTA agreement from the EU now that Britain has voted to leave the EU.
    It is generally accepted that one of the main issues during their referendum campaign that resulted in the victory for the leave camp was immigration.

IMHO for any British government to leave an open door for entry to NI and the UK through the Irish state without passport control would not just be political suicide, but as fanciful as expecting no passport control through the port of Dover.

The British government similar to our own are making noises on the CTA and the need to maintain it, bit I wouldn`t look on that as both of them singing off the same hymn sheet on their reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

The CTA was "invented" in the early 1920s as an administrative solution to the possible need to provide passports, or some form of ID, for Irish people living in UK when we became independent. There is a note from a civil servant to the then Minister in UK, on file, I saw a facsimile somewhere (in Boards?).

It was then, and is now, a money saving decision. Even though, today, Irish people iiving in UK can have, and many do have, Irish passports.

My recent, pre-brexit, experience passing through or into the UK from Continental Europe is a long wait for either a scan or presentation of a passport, at Gatwick or Heathrow. Seems like they haven't enough scanners or personnel.

Passing through Stansted next week in to UK, we'll see. Used to be a sort of side gate there where you showed your (Irish boarded) boarding pass, is that still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

At airports anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Only because the airline insisted you had a passport to use their service. You did not need one to enter the UK.

• Advertisement

bill66 wrote: »
    Only because the airline insisted you had a passport to use their service. You did not need one to enter the UK.

If the British are now looking for ID from passengers arriving from Ireland while Britain are still members of the EU, then I wouldn`t bet the house on you not needing to produce a passport for entry when they leave.

The British have no interest in maintaining the CTA.
    They are simply giving it lip service as a bargaining chip in negotiations over the Customs Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Yep, change of policy pre-Brexit.

As I said earlier the CTA was an administrative convenience, post Brexit a foreigner could enter the UK via RoI. So, check em all.

I'd say the fudge will be no control Dundalk to Newry but control everybody on the mainland. Same as if you landed from Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Funny, I came into Gatwick last week and no inspection.

BarryM wrote: »
    Yep, change of policy pre-Brexit.

As I said earlier the CTA was an administrative convenience, post Brexit a foreigner could enter the UK via RoI. So, check em all.

I'd say the fudge will be no control Dundalk to Newry but control everybody on the mainland. Same as if you landed from Calais.

Problem there is the UK would then presumably check all passengers arriving from NI.
    Something which in itself would be major political landmine.
    Not the least of which being that their present government is reliant on the DUP to stay in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Soooo. I got the email about refunds. I applied. Got an email saying 5-7 working days. That would have been Thursday 2 weeks ago. No money. Last week rang. They said itl be there within a couple days. No money. Rang today. The refund was still sitting there. Nobody had bothered to process it. Wtf like.

Appear to be in breach of their commitments to CAR

https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/update-on-ryanair-cancellations.808.html

Ryanair has confirmed to us, today, that they have taken on additional staff to ensure that all refunds are provided to affected passengers within 7 working days and that they will deal with all claims for expenses and compensation within 28 working days. Where passengers are dissatisfied with the outcome of this process, they should submit a complaint to the Commission for Aviation Regulation who can issue a Direction requiring Ryanair to comply with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Arrived at Stanstead this morning, no ID check.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So business as usual then.

• Advertisement

Must be intelligence led checks that sporadically happen.
    Doubt it. Just random, I suspect.

Advertisement