Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    To be fair, it was more than just our banks, it was the global financial system

True, but as bill66 put it, is it not the same system, the same arena of business that Ryanair operates in ?

The same system and the same arena of business that was spouted by Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko in the film Wall Street, "Greed is good"?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

charlie14 wrote:
    The same system and the same arena of business that was spouted by Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko in the film Wall Street, "Greed is good"?

I would agree with those that say, many of our financial and economic systems have become predatory and parasitic, including companies such as Ryanair etc, as explained by Karl Marx

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The problem is more so with the form of capitalism that we have decided to introduce, I.e. neoliberalism. It's inherently unstable, destructive and regressive for our species and planet. It's time for us to try another form of it before it's too late.

Good point, and maybe the present situation with RyR is the beginning of that process for them? Ironically, the issue may have arisen (partly) because some staff have jumped ship in exactly the competitive environment MO'L extols.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BarryM wrote: »
    Good point, and maybe the present situation with RyR is the beginning of that process for them? Ironically, the issue may have arisen (partly) because some staff have jumped ship in exactly the competitive environment MO'L extols.

short answer, no, im not convinced this will actually change much in the long run. i do think this will all blow over eventually, with a few scratches and bruises on all sides. sadly i think it may take a few more serious economic/financial crisis before the majority accept that this ideology is failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Ryanairs entire summer schedule is unavailable. Seems to have been taken down today. Lovely Summer Sale add on the home screen and yet no flights available from April on. Either they are re-pricing for the mother of all sales or they are digging in preparing for the mother of all battles with Europes finest Unions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Alternatively it could just be a technical issue.

It's a strange one though, I've never seen the entire summer schedule be removed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Looks like they have been paring back their expansion rates and culling some flights from November 2017 - March 2018

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-end-rostering-cancellations-by-slowing-growth-this-winter/

Edit: their website seems to have fallen under the pressure so here's another link: http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-cancellations-plan-sale-2-3617957-Sep2017/

miamee wrote: »
    Looks like they have been paring back their expansion rates and culling some flights from November 2017 - March 2018

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-end-rostering-cancellations-by-slowing-growth-this-winter/

Edit: their website seems to have fallen under the pressure so here's another link: http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-cancellations-plan-sale-2-3617957-Sep2017/

So much for O`Leary`s bluster on pilot holiday rostering.

All it`s achieved is even further aggravating pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Am I the only one expecting O’Leary to get the “full support of the board” very soon ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

ZENER wrote: »
    Am I the only one expecting O’Leary to get the “full support of the board” very soon ?

Ken
    He got better than that, 99.3% of the shareholders voted to keep him. Yet again proving that money talks and bul***it walks.

• Advertisement

bill66 wrote: »
    He got better than that, 99.3% of the shareholders voted to keep him. Yet again proving that money talks and bul***it walks.

Sounds similar to all those English Premier League manager who go even one better.
    The 100% backing by the board that is quickly followed by the sack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,477 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see any scenario where O'Leary is sacked from this. There has clearly been a managerial failure in a few areas, and as CEO he is responsible for having let that happen; however its realistically one aberration in 25 years of extreme performance.

The setting out of cuts for 6 months in advance should be the last of it - if it continues to be an issue after that you may see realistic reason for him to go but its not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭deezell

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sounds similar to all those English Premier League manager who go even one better.
    The 100% backing by the board that is quickly followed by the sack :)

Or the Minister/ Garda commisioner/(insert state apointee here) who has the full backing of the cabinet, meaning jump or be pushed. What's Paddy Power giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭deezell

L1011 wrote: »
    ...... you may see realistic reason for him to go but its not there yet.

You can't be serious. Steve Jobs got fired for almost nothing by comparison. They did bring him back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,477 ✭✭✭✭L1011

deezell wrote: »
    You can't be serious. Steve Jobs got fired for almost nothing by comparison. They did bring him back though.

Jobs was fired for overseeing a series of complete and utter failures - the Apple III, the Lisa (his pet project, that he pushed through multiple levels of resistance) - and severe insubordination. Jobs was costing Apple money and looking to destroy it.

Not cancelling 2% of sales due to a HR cockup (even if he ignored HR complaints). There's been a management failure in Ryanair but no board would sack someone over one incidence. Jobs was sacked over a series of incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Nobody is firing O'Leary, but it might, just might put manners on him. But I doubt it.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Nobody is firing O'Leary, but it might, just might put manners on him. But I doubt it.

Whatever about putting manners on him it doesn`t look as if he has learned anything from the fiasco.
    Friday Ryanair agreed to demands by the UK CAA to clarify passenger rights on rerouting cancellations on other airlines, yet they are now saying they will only do this if the price does not exceed three times the price of the original Ryanair fare.

O`Leary reminds me of a bold child with a spot.
    He just cannot help himself picking at it to only exacerbating the problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Whatever about putting manners on him it doesn`t look as if he has learned anything from the fiasco.
    Friday Ryanair agreed to demands by the UK CAA to clarify passenger rights on rerouting cancellations on other airlines, yet they are now saying they will only do this if the price does not exceed three times the price of the original Ryanair fare.

Actually that guideline was issued before the CAA started to take enforcement action, you read too much of the British Press it seems who appear to have an agenda at play but a lot of people know that already.

Note how they want to bash Ryanair for making this point which is old news and the policy has since changed but won't bash Easyjet who have a guideline it should only be up to the cost of their original fare.

It's an industry wide problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

looks like he has found an out, with monarch airlines going bust, quite a few unemployed chief's and first officers twiddling their thumbs today in the uk, will they take olearys shilling or go on the dole

flutered wrote: »
    looks like he has found an out, with monarch airlines going bust, quite a few unemployed chief's and first officers twiddling their thumbs today in the uk, will they take olearys shilling or go on the dole

Considering Monarch only have a single Boeing aircraft I doubt there is going to be much in the way of staff free anyway.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Actually that guideline was issued before the CAA started to take enforcement action, you read too much of the British Press it seems who appear to have an agenda at play but a lot of people know that already.

Note how they want to bash Ryanair for making this point which is old news and the policy has since changed but won't bash Easyjet who have a guideline it should only be up to the cost of their original fare.

It's an industry wide problem.

Actually I never read any British Press and it is covered in today`s Irish Times.

Perhaps you could clear up a point where you state "the policy has since changed".
    Do you mean that both Easyjet`s policy on rescheduling cost should be only that of the original fare, and Ryanairs policy of it not exceeding three times the original fare both comply with the regulations ?

Actually I never read any British Press and it is covered in today`s Irish Times.

This was reported last week in the British Press, before Ryanair had discussions and released new guidelines on Friday Evening.
    Do you mean that both Easyjet`s policy on rescheduling cost should be only that of the original fare, and Ryanairs policy of it not exceeding three times the original fare both comply with the regulations ?

My point was that the UK CAA have been quick to date to complain about Ryanair, registered in Ireland and how they handle EU261, but there is no sign of them dealing with airlines who are registered in their own country which is the point Ryanair made recenty when they said
    Ryanair has called upon the UK CAA to now require UK airlines to comply with these EU261 obligations which the CAA did not apply to British Airways in May this year, when a computer meltdown stranded hundreds of thousands of British citizens/visitors at London Heathrow and many other airports, with no apparent action taken by the CAA in respect of re-accommodation or enforcement against British Airways.

devnull wrote: »
    This was reported last week in the British Press, before Ryanair had discussions and released new guidelines on Friday Evening.

My point was that the UK CAA have been quick to date to complain about Ryanair, registered in Ireland and how they handle EU261, but there is no sign of them dealing with airlines who are registered in their own country which is the point Ryanair made recenty when they said

All very informative from Ryanair`s point of view, but it does not address the point I was making or the question I asked.

Last Friday Ryanair in a statement agreed to demands by the UK CAA to clarify passengers rights on rerouting cancellations on to other airlines.
    Unless I missed it, I did not see where that clarification included their policy of rerouted fares having to be less than three times the original Ryanair fare.
    My point, and question was, does this policy comply with the regulations ?

If it does, then fair enough.
    If it does not, then it just comes across a fit of petulance from O`Leary and that he has learned nothing from this fiasco.

All very informative from Ryanair`s point of view, but it does not address the point I was making or the question I asked.

Last Friday Ryanair in a statement agreed to demands by the UK CAA to clarify passengers rights on rerouting cancellations on to other airlines.
    Unless I missed it, I did not see where that clarification included their policy of rerouted fares having to be less than three times the original Ryanair fare.
    My point, and question was, does this policy comply with the regulations ?

If it does, then fair enough.
    If it does not, then it just comes across a fit of petulance from O`Leary and that he has learned nothing from this fiasco.

As far as I can see the actual regulation is not explicit in terms of re routing and it is far from black and white.

"a choice between (i) being reimbursed within seven days (and, if necessary, a free flight to the initial point of departure), or (ii) being rerouted or continuing their journey as soon as possible, or (iii) at a mutually agreed later date;"

It does not specify that this has to be on any airline available. The Uk CAA may have interpreted as such, but that holds no legal standing. A definitive answer can only be given by the EU courts.

As far as I can see the actual regulation is not explicit in terms of re routing and it is far from black and white.

"a choice between (i) being reimbursed within seven days (and, if necessary, a free flight to the initial point of departure), or (ii) being rerouted or continuing their journey as soon as possible, or (iii) at a mutually agreed later date;"

It does not specify that this has to be on any airline available. The Uk CAA may have interpreted as such, but that holds no legal standing. A definitive answer can only be given by the EU courts.

Thank you for all that, but again not really what I was questioning.

I was asking does this Ryanair policy of a rerouted fare having to be less than three times the original Ryanair fare comply with EU Regulation 261/2004 ?

With all the negative publicity that Ryanair have garnered over this fiasco, with their Friday statement on compliance this policy just comes across as petulance.
    As to the EU courts, with their recent judgement on Ryanair employment contracts, I cannot see O`Leary getting much positive publicity with a EU court challenge to the regulation either.

Thank you for all that, but again not really what I was questioning.

I was asking does this Ryanair policy of a rerouted fare having to be less than three times the original Ryanair fare comply with EU Regulation 261/2004 ?

With all the negative publicity that Ryanair have garnered over this fiasco, with their Friday statement on compliance this policy just comes across as petulance.
    As to the EU courts, with their recent judgement on Ryanair employment contracts, I cannot see O`Leary getting much positive publicity with a EU court challenge to the regulation either.

The answer you are looking for does not exist. As previously stated the regulation does not specify if a different airline has to be used and therefore makes no reference to the price.

I also notice that Ryanair's passenger numbers were up 10% in September despite the cancelations.

The answer you are looking for does not exist. As previously stated the regulation does not specify if a different airline has to be used and therefore makes no reference to the price.

I also notice that Ryanair's passenger numbers were up 10% in September despite the cancelations.

Like the EU judgement on employee contracts, should there be complaints, both the use of other airlines on rerouting passengers and Ryanair`s policy of fares not exceeding three times the original fare would both be something the EU courts would be happy to clear up.

I don`t really see the significance of the 10% for September tbh when the 700,000 cancellations until March 2018 are taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I don`t really see the significance of the 10% for September tbh when the 700,000 cancellations until March 2018 are taken into account

700,000 cancellations is about 1% of the passenger numbers for the 6 month period. It's also only about 1/2 of the increase recorded in September. So while a cancellation is a major issue for an individual, the number is almost inconsequential in terms of Ryanair's actual numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Mr.S wrote: »
    eth0_ wrote: »
    You CANNOT travel to the UK with a driving licence on ryanair. It states this clearly during the booking process, and on the online check-in. They only accept passports or EU identity cards.
    Oh really? :rolleyes:
    For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a

/im assuming the OP's friend is Irish.

I'm not sure where you've got that from. 
    Flights between the UK and Ireland require a passport, a drivers licence is NOT accepted.
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Travel-documentation/Are-driving-licenses-accepted-as-a-travel-document-on-Ryanair-flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Incidentally, I recently flew from LBA to DUB with Ryanair. Since Ryanair doesn't respect the CTA agreement in that British and Irish citizens are entitle to roam the CTA without the need to carry a passport, I showed Ryanair staff my passport card at the boarding gate at LBA. When I arrived in DUB, I showed the GNIB my UK NUS card and he waved me through. *Irish GNIB staff are respecting the CTA agreement*.

On my return from DUB to LBA later that day. I again showed Ryanair boarding gate staff, this time at DUB, my passport card and then, to my suprise, when I landed in LBA the immigration staff wanted "passports" from everybody disembarking the aircraft. I showed them my NUS card, as I showed their Irish counterparts. They didn't like it and asked me for something else. So I showed them my UK driving licence, which they did accept. *British immigration staff are NOT respecting the CTA agreement*.

Advertisement