Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Ryanair megathread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

We had a conversation on here a week or so back as to whether or not Ryanair overbook flights. I was booked on the late flight last Thursday evening Dublin to Stansted and when I checked in my boarding pass stated that my seat would be 'assigned at the airport'. Went to the desk and sure enough the girl said that the flight was overbooked "you know, like all airlines overbook" (an exact quote).

Fortunately five people hadn't turned up so I got on.

It adds a new level of danger to the old 'wait until the last second to check in in order to get a good seat' game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭deezell

Beefy78 wrote: »
    We had a conversation on here a week or so back as to whether or not Ryanair overbook flights. I was booked on the late flight last Thursday evening Dublin to Stansted and when I checked in my boarding pass stated that my seat would be 'assigned at the airport'. Went to the desk and sure enough the girl said that the flight was overbooked "you know, like all airlines overbook" (an exact quote).

Fortunately five people hadn't turned up so I got on.

It adds a new level of danger to the old 'wait until the last second to check in in order to get a good seat' game.
    Kilbilvol2 still owes me an apology over this. If he disagreed with my opinion on overbooking, just state he disagrees, don't accuse me of 'talking drivel. That's just offensive and makes him sound like an a******e.

@deezell - I'm not quite sure what you're on about, but washing your dirty laundry in public, and being uncivil to another poster is not acceptable.

dudara

Posts arguing with moderator and continuing with the bickering deleted. Count yourselves lucky that the cards were not stepped up in severity.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought it was illegal in EU to overbook?

Definitely not - I've been overbooked on BA and Aer Lingus in the past too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheDriver wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal in EU to overbook?

No.

What is the case under EU law is that the airline end up paying compo to the overbooked passenger that is likely more than they made in extra profit selling the last ticket; and incur other costs if the replacement flight is a long time away.

Most airlines will only do it on specific flights on high frequency routes that they know have a very high % of no-shows; and they usually offer bribes to get volunteers rather than force a denied boarding situation. If the delay is, say, three hours the compensation is €250 but you will almost always find a time insensitive passenger who'll take less and spend it in the shops/bar

In the US the bribe has traditionally been gift cards for the airline, which is why they end up offering huge amounts to get anyone to take the damn thing.

I've been overbooked on KLM *TWICE* recently, but asking for the 261 regs meant they picked some other poor passenger who didn't know the rules and/or was happy to get the cash. Ended up in Premium Economy both times as a result too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This post has been deleted.

Minimum compo is 125 for under 2 hours, shorthaul intra-EU I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Ryanair announce new baggage policy from 1st November.

Ryanair, Europe’s No 1 airline, today (6 Sep), as part of its “Always Getting Better” programme announced new reduced checked bag fees (and increased check-in bag sizes) to encourage more customers to check in bags and reduce the number of customers with 2 bags at the boarding gates. As too many customers are availing of Ryanair’s improved 2 free carry-on bags service, and with high load factors (97% in August) there is not enough overhead cabin space for this volume of carry-on bags, which is causing boarding/flight delays.

To encourage more customers to check-in some bags and reduce the volume of carry-on bags, Ryanair will introduce the following bag policy changes on all flights from 1st November next:

The check-in bag allowance will increase from 15kg to 20kg for all bags

The standard check-in bag fee will be cut from €/£35 to €/£25 for this 20kg bag

Only Priority Boarding customers (including Plus, Flexi Plus & Family Plus) will be allowed to bring two carry-on bags on the aircraft*

All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees-raise-size-allowanceto-eliminate-boarding-delays-non-priority-customers-must-put-2nd-bigger-bag-in-hold-free-of-charge-from-november/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

chasm wrote: »
    Ryanair announce new baggage policy from 1st November.

Ryanair, Europe’s No 1 airline, today (6 Sep), as part of its “Always Getting Better” programme announced new reduced checked bag fees (and increased check-in bag sizes) to encourage more customers to check in bags and reduce the number of customers with 2 bags at the boarding gates. As too many customers are availing of Ryanair’s improved 2 free carry-on bags service, and with high load factors (97% in August) there is not enough overhead cabin space for this volume of carry-on bags, which is causing boarding/flight delays.

To encourage more customers to check-in some bags and reduce the volume of carry-on bags, Ryanair will introduce the following bag policy changes on all flights from 1st November next:

Only Priority Boarding customers (including Plus, Flexi Plus & Family Plus) will be allowed to bring two carry-on bags on the aircraft*

All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees-raise-size-allowanceto-eliminate-boarding-delays-non-priority-customers-must-put-2nd-bigger-bag-in-hold-free-of-charge-from-november/

That's fair. I go priority and buy a seat anyway. No doubt the skinflints will find reason to have another hissy fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I thought you could drop the 10kg bag at bag drop. - Now that would have been superb.

But most larger bags are put im hold anyway, so this just puts it as policy.

Some people really take the piss with their cabin bag. Saw one guy on a flight last week with a bag on his back almost the same size he was.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Don't blame them, the existing policy is being massively abused.

Never mind the Baggage, Here's the P**s taker,
    They need to do something about the anti social random seat allocation. I was unable to book and pay for two seats together yesterday because his random allocation system, in its quest to upset passengers, had placed a person in every single middle seat from the front back leaving nothing but window/aisle free. So determined are Ryanair to squeeze additional payment from customers that they are punishing those who who are willing to prebook and pay. I booked/paid for a window/aisle and the stranger sitting between us was happy to swap. From row 7 up there was a line of people in the middle, all other seats free. They get a free row, I pay and have to depend on the kindness of strangers.
    While I'm at it, No hot food left on the plane, except tasteless baguettes, no ice for lukewarm drinks, no tea after the the first few rows were served, no serviettes, so the chief Stewart served the heated baguettes in hand towels she got from the toilet. We witnessed this with our own eyes. I repeat . She took a handful of paper from the TOILET and wrapped and served the hot baguettes in these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

deezell wrote: »
    ...no serviettes, so the chief Stewart served the heated baguettes in hand towels she got from the toilet. We witnessed this with our own eyes. I repeat . She took a handful of paper from the TOILET and wrapped and served the hot baguettes in these.

Whatever about the rest of your complaint, you'll just get a half hearted sorry from some customer service person, but this right here is a clear food hygiene issue and should be reported to their head office and possibly to the FSAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

chasm wrote: »

I must be reading this wrong.
    Why would you pay €25 to put a bag in the hold when further down it says you can put it in the hold for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Why would you pay €25 to put a bag in the hold when further down it says you can put it in the hold for free?

Checked in bag will be 20kg, the free hold bag will be normal 10kg hand luggage I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the wheelie bag they refer to is your normal cabin bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭joeysoap

i got 27e and 6e free this tiime: however the service was very poor. so bad was it i didnt even get asked if i wanted anything. would have had a tea but as he didnt even look at me i kept the three euros.

total flights out and back to faro were a steal though. 29 euros both ways. very happy with that .

Whatever about the rest of your complaint, you'll just get a half hearted sorry from some customer service person, but this right here is a clear food hygiene issue and should be reported to their head office and possibly to the FSAI.

I can hear O'L laughing. he'll probably give her a bonus or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

No f*cking way I'd put my bag in the hold for a trip less than a week :)

I think Ryanair has such a good record with lost luggage because nobody put stuff in the hold in the first place.

And usually stuff gets lost because of the Airport/handling agent not because of the Airline.

You don't need the kitchen sink with you anyway, I did 6 weeks around asia with 1 carry on bag and washed stuff as I went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

redcup342 wrote: »
    No f*cking way I'd put my bag in the hold for a trip less than a week :)

I think Ryanair has such a good record with lost luggage because nobody put stuff in the hold in the first place.

And usually stuff gets lost because of the Airport/handling agent not because of the Airline.

You don't need the kitchen sink with you anyway, I did 6 weeks around asia with 1 carry on bag and washed stuff as I went

So now you are going to have to pay for Priority boarding for the privilege of bringing your hand luggage onto the plane with you.

They played a blinder with this one imo, allowing everyone bring two bags, the original 10KG bag and a smaller one onto the plane with them, then after a while state passengers are abusing the system and they may be required to go back to a single piece of hand luggage, but their new system only allows you to take the new smaller piece on with you, the original 10KG piece now needs to go into the hold, but if you want your bag kept with you you can pay for priority boarding.

Well played sir, well played.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A very sneaky way of increasing the price of their flights without actually hitting the headline fare. I think this coupled with their seating policy will affect their turnaround times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A very sneaky way of increasing the price of their flights without actually hitting the headline fare. I think this coupled with their seating policy will affect their turnaround times

How? Vast majority of people have no problem with their bag going in the hold, no difference here and Infact I'd say it'll make the boarding experience much more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i imagine it will speed them up. less time spent on people trying to jam their case into the overhead lockers.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How? Vast majority of people have no problem with their bag going in the hold, no difference here and Infact I'd say it'll make the boarding experience much more pleasant.

Doubtful it is the vast majority of the passengers even now. I don't think the vast majority of the ones who are happy will be too happy when they realise it is the smaller bag (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) that is only allowed in the cabin without paying extra for priority boarding.

Ryanair have not policed their 2nd bag policy and I too have seen folk happy to put their wheelie bag in the hold as all their stuff that they would not be happy to put in the hold (laptop etc) was able to be brought on in the 2nd bag. I can now see Ryanair strictly policing that 2nd bag size policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Doubtful it is the vast majority of the passengers even now. I don't think the vast majority of the ones who are happy will be too happy when they realise it is the smaller bag (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) that is only allowed in the cabin without paying extra for priority boarding.

Ryanair have not policed their 2nd bag policy and I too have seen folk happy to put their wheelie bag in the hold as all their stuff that they would not be happy to put in the hold (laptop etc) was able to be brought on in the 2nd bag. I can now see Ryanair strictly policing that 2nd bag size policy

Yeah, I can't remember last time I checked in luggage. I always travel with one bag, a relatively small backpack, which will obviously have whatever I need for the flight in it. Putting that in the hold is going to be a pain, and a delay at the far end.

Although actually, I've just reread the new T+Cs, and either I'll be OK or they've just made a complete bags of things.

It repeatedly says that non-priority customers can only carry on one bag, and must put the bigger of their two bags in the hold. But unless I'm missing something, it's not at all clear on what happens if you only have one bag?

• Advertisement

True although this whole policy change is to force passengers to pay for bringing a bag bigger than the 2nd bag so if you have only one bag it will have to be the 35cm x 20cm x 20cm or smaller bag

Advertisement