Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

True although this whole policy change is to force passengers to pay for bringing a bag bigger than the 2nd bag so if you have only one bag it will have to be the 35cm x 20cm x 20cm or smaller bag

How is it forcing anyone to do this? If you want to bring your regular 10kg carry on (not a small backpack) onboard, it's going into the hold unless you pay for priority boarding.

I don't understand how it's so confusing, and how you think Ryanair will even increase revenues out of this, as at the same time they're reducing the price of their check in baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How is it forcing anyone to do this? If you want to bring your regular 10kg carry on (not a small backpack) onboard, it's going into the hold unless you pay for priority boarding.

That is exactly the point I am making. A small backpack is bigger than the size allowance of the smaller 2nd bag so expect that to be in the hold as well

Your point would be valid if at the same time, Ryanair raised the size of the 2nd bag to cover small backpacks (these can easily fit under the seat in front)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Tbh I don't think that they're going to be throwing backpacks in for no reason, just they won't let you put them in the overhead lockers. If it goes under I cannot see why they wouldn't let it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That is exactly the point I am making. A small backpack is bigger than the size allowance of the smaller 2nd bag so expect that to be in the hold as well

Your point would be valid if at the same time, Ryanair raised the size of the 2nd bag to cover small backpacks (these can easily fit under the seat in front)
    I always bring a medium backpack as the second bag but it's mostly air, can squash down to the dimensions fine and go under the seat. Haven't seen other people put the second bag in the locker much either. Do you think it's currently a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

redcup342 wrote: »
    No f*cking way I'd put my bag in the hold for a trip less than a week :)

I think Ryanair has such a good record with lost luggage because nobody put stuff in the hold in the first place.

And usually stuff gets lost because of the Airport/handling agent not because of the Airline.

You don't need the kitchen sink with you anyway, I did 6 weeks around asia with 1 carry on bag and washed stuff as I went

Lost baggage is usually becasue its routed incorrectly - this can't happen on the ryanair system as the bag is taken from you at the boarding gate and loaded directly into the aircraft thus negating the possibility of incorrect routing.

At the destination it is loaded directly onto the relevant belt, so unless it falls off and the flight number label somehow comes off too - it can't get lost.

On the flights I have been on, the 2nd bag is not the problem that I could see. It is the fact that there is not enough overhead bins for everyones bag. Ryanair have pushed everyone to bring carry on bags due to their policy of discouraging load baggage as their stated aim of maintaining their tight turnaround times :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

So now you are going to have to pay for Priority boarding for the privilege of bringing your hand luggage onto the plane with you.

They played a blinder with this one imo, allowing everyone bring two bags, the original 10KG bag and a smaller one onto the plane with them, then after a while state passengers are abusing the system and they may be required to go back to a single piece of hand luggage, but their new system only allows you to take the new smaller piece on with you, the original 10KG piece now needs to go into the hold, but if you want your bag kept with you you can pay for priority boarding.

Well played sir, well played.

They most certainly are abusing it. Dead right to get them to pay, or p**** off with another airline. Well played indeed, Michael.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The problem is that Ryanair have become too nice.

The old Ryanair said if the bag was a little too big you will have to pay for it and it would be refused at the gate. Ever since they stopped being so strict with hand luggage people have pushed it more and more and more and in many cases took one cabin bag that was bigger than the stated max and the small bag which was also bigger than the max.

I frequently have been on flights since they promised to be nicer to passengers and the longer time has gone on the more and more people have pushed their luck. It's no co-incidence that the old so called nasty Ryanair had far less problems with luggage space than the newer cuddly one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were a growing number of people who weren't going to fly Nasty Ryanair again - the changes weren't done for the hell of it but to maintain growth. Wizz, a major rival in Eastern Europe, is also de-nastying for the same reason.

L1011 wrote: »
    There were a growing number of people who weren't going to fly Nasty Ryanair again - the changes weren't done for the hell of it but to maintain growth. Wizz, a major rival in Eastern Europe, is also de-nastying for the same reason.

I know Wizz very well, they are a very poor version of Ryanair with far mores fess gimmicks, and charges then Ryanair. They also frequently delayed for many many hours when an aircraft goes tech when traveling from Western Europe to centreal/Eastern Europe due to the fact all of their bases spare aircraft and maintenance teams are based in the East and they have shamefully tried to cash in on this with their delay warranty product.

I've flew with them five times and had cause to complain four times about staff and lack of professionalism which when you consider I've only had to contact Ryanair twice in well over 100 flights, tells it's own story.

devnull wrote: »
    I know Wizz very well, they are a very poor version of Ryanair with far mores fess gimmicks, and charges then Ryanair. They also frequently delayed for many many hours when an aircraft goes tech when traveling from Western Europe to centreal/Eastern Europe due to the fact all of their bases spare aircraft and maintenance teams are based in the East and they have shamefully tried to cash in on this with their delay warranty product.

I've flew with them five times and had cause to complain four times about staff and lack of professionalism which when you consider I've only had to contact Ryanair twice in well over 100 flights, tells it's own story.

Wizz shenanigans recently

'Scots have been left stranded in Romania after their plane home was cancelled and the airline was unable to offer any alternative flights for a week.'

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/1396786-passengers-stranded-after-bucharest-flight-cancelled/

It's rare that it works like that from the East side to be fair, my problem is more that their bases and technical hubs are pretty much all in the East so if there is an issue in the UK they always have to fly a spare aircraft or engineers in from Poland, Hungary etc becuase they don't have a good geographical spread of bases.

The last straw with me with them was a flight from hell when the cabin crew leader didn't give a stuff about his job or the passengers since he was too busy flirting with passengers, french kissing them behind the curtain at the front of the plane when the fasten seat belt sign came on for starting the descent, when people started starring at him he turned off all the lights and it stayed like that for 15 minutes.

Captain said 5 minutes to landing and nobody had inspected the cabin in the crew, lockers were open and as we landed luggage starting falling out of the overhead lockers, cockpit door opened and didn't close after that and remained open for landing,, girl ran inside for landing. Coudln't believe what I was seeing. After that an announcement was made about their new product of offering access to the flight dec.

Didn't fly with them again, my previous experiences were bad but that took the biscuit. My checked case was broken as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does EU 261 not govern Wizzair as well?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Does EU 261 not govern Wizzair as well?

Getting money from Wizz is far far harder than Ryanair.

If your flight is delayed and want compensation they will simply advise you that you should have took out their delay warranty product. They spin this every single time and the fact they use their reputation for delays to make even more money by offering such a produc that by it's very definition needs lto have enough delays to increase it's popularity, is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Getting money from Wizz is far far harder than Ryanair.

Just give your claim to an intermediary claim company?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's rare that it works like that from the East side to be fair, my problem is more that their bases and technical hubs are pretty much all in the East so if there is an issue in the UK they always have to fly a spare aircraft or engineers in from Poland, Hungary etc becuase they don't have a good geographical spread of bases.

The last straw with me with them was a flight from hell when the cabin crew leader didn't give a stuff about his job or the passengers since he was too busy flirting with passengers, french kissing them behind the curtain at the front of the plane when the fasten seat belt sign came on for starting the descent, when people started starring at him he turned off all the lights and it stayed like that for 15 minutes.

Captain said 5 minutes to landing and nobody had inspected the cabin in the crew, lockers were open and as we landed luggage starting falling out of the overhead lockers, cockpit door opened and didn't close after that and remained open for landing,, girl ran inside for landing. Coudln't believe what I was seeing. After that an announcement was made about their new product of offering access to the flight dec.

Didn't fly with them again, my previous experiences were bad but that took the biscuit. My checked case was broken as well.

Is there a method for reporting crap like that to ICAO/other? In such a regulated industry messing like that shouldn't persist.

I made a complaint about it to Wizz and didn't really get very far, they were very defensive. Didn't take it any further because I assume it would have had to be reported to Hungarian Authorities and couldn't find out who was responsible for that.

I should clarrify that the product they were offering in relation to inviting people into the cockpit was just for after landing, it still exists today but seems to be for kids only now: http://corporate.wizzair.com/en-GB/kids

They told me in the end that they were off-duty crew who were behind the curtain and in the cockpit but still doesn't make it right since these people being on-board were clearly allowed to be a distraction to those working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I forget to add a bag when I booked in. How do I do it and how much is it. There are two names on the booking and we are each wanting to check in a bag. Going to Faro, just standard bags :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

I forget to add a bag when I booked in. How do I do it and how much is it. There are two names on the booking and we are each wanting to check in a bag. Going to Faro, just standard bags :) Thanks
    Click on Manage booking. Bag charges vary with size, 15kg, 20kg, and 25kg, with destination, short (UK) medium and long (Canaries), and season, Low to High. Add to that the charges are lower if you add at time of booking, dearer if you add later and dearer again if you add at check in. Typically €55 per bag per person per journey high season canaries added after

25kg bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

JCX BXC wrote: »
    25kg bag?

Sorry, thats Aer Lingus only

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has anyone flown with Ryanair very recently (as in, since the new cabin baggage rules came in)?

I'm flying next week, have a checked in bag anyway so capacity/weight not an issue - but I would usually bring a backpack/duffel bag as my carry-on (and gladly give it to them for the hold) - but it may or may not comply with the letter of the law regarding sizes.

I'm flying on my own, so no interest in buying priority boarding.

Are they back to the policing of the queue and sticking rigidly to the bag sizes advertised? If so, I'll have to rethink my approach to packing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭amber2

Just got this email, should be fine if you are within the sizes.

Edit this email is sent for a trip next week to inform Of their changes to cabin baggage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The rules are from 1st November so they wont take effect just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

amber2 wrote: »
    Just got this email, should be fine if you are within the sizes.

Edit this email is sent for a trip next week to inform Of their changes to cabin baggage policy.

Yeah, I got something similar. Just wondering are they actually back to using the cages or otherwise coming the heavy on the sizes, as my bag may or may not squidge in to the cage (I've never tried).

I need the actual bag while I'm away, so if I thought it was going to fall foul of the rules I'd try to stuff it into my checked bag.

May just do that anyway, be on the safe side!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

They state that staff will use the sizer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Pay for priority.

Advertisement