Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I checked a few Ryanair flights I have booked and I agree they don't give a breakdown of how the fare is arrived at. Aer Lingus charge €34 taxes and charges from Dublin and different amounts from other airports. At €60 pp return I would guess you did manage to get tax and charges free flights. . Yesterday RY were advertising flights for €5, I had a look and there was return flights to Faro next week for €19.98. Clearly there is no tax on these flights. ( I can't go unfortunately but if you were a smoker and just wanted cheap smokes the price of the fare would be covered with one pack of cigs)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Ryanair Megathread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Not from Faro, only from outside the EU and some special places like the Canaries.

Pack of b+h at faro airport is €48 I think*. (Marginally cheaper outside of duty free) I think the price here would be around €100 for a pack of 100.

* don't smoke but usually asked to buy a pack by a friend, I think I paid €48 in October. I thought the duty free limit was 200 as well but greater from outside the EU. I have never been stopped so I can't say for certain. I never have more than 200 anyway.

I had another look and those prices are gone. Not sure it would have worked anyway without an overnight ie some flights leave Dublin at 6.20 and return at 9.50 others leave at 17.20 so in both cases an overnight required.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

No not safe enough. Faro is in the EU and you're allowed as many as you can prove is for personal consumption as you can carry.

The Canaries while technically being in the EU are treated as duty free for EU import and customs, so you're limited to 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 orlaithmum

Anyone come across this with Ryanair before...

I checked the price of a return journey from Dublin to Italy earlier on today - the outward leg was €65 and the return leg €77. I booked the outward leg only at that time. This afternoon I went to book the return leg as a oneway flight, and it's showing the price as €96, even though when I check the return journey, it's still showing the return leg as €77.
    I 'chatted' with ryanair and the bloke says the price difference is because I'm making 2 reservations instead of 1. I haven't come across this with Ryanair before, and I tested this hypothesis with a few other destinations and there was no price difference.

Is this common knowledge and I just missed the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i think the ryanair bloke is having you on. what has probably happened is that some seats have been sold on the flight in the meantime which pushes up the price for the remaining seats. It can also be the case that the ryanair website has stored a cookie on your pc so that it knows that you looked at that flight previously so pushes the price up as it knows you are interested.

• Advertisement

Well the cheaper seats haven't been sold cause they're still available. I tried clearing cookies, no difference.
    I tried booking on my phone, with 3G connection instead of wifi (that should be a different IP address, right?), no difference - the return leg is still cheaper when booking a return flight as opposed to booking the return leg as a one-way flight.

just another thought, the flight I'm booking is to Bari, is there maybe some special tax applied to flights originating there that is not applied when booking a return flight DUB-BRI-DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

orlaithmum wrote: »
    Anyone come across this with Ryanair before...

I checked the price of a return journey from Dublin to Italy earlier on today - the outward leg was €65 and the return leg €77. I booked the outward leg only at that time. This afternoon I went to book the return leg as a oneway flight, and it's showing the price as €96, even though when I check the return journey, it's still showing the return leg as €77.
    I 'chatted' with ryanair and the bloke says the price difference is because I'm making 2 reservations instead of 1. I haven't come across this with Ryanair before, and I tested this hypothesis with a few other destinations and there was no price difference.

Is this common knowledge and I just missed the memo?

That doesn't sound right. Ryanair have always positioned themselves as a point-to-point airline, they don't do returns in that sense - it should be the same price each way. If they've changed that policy it's news to me.
    Silly question - it's definitely the same day/time/currency?

Yeah, thats what I always though MOH, so what he said didn't make sense to me.

Try it for yourself...
    Return flight from Dublin to Bari, leaving whenever, returning Mon July 4th - return leg €77
    Oneway flight Bari to Dublin July 4th - €96

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

orlaithmum wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what I always though MOH, so what he said didn't make sense to me.

Try it for yourself...
    Return flight from Dublin to Bari, leaving whenever, returning Mon July 4th - return leg €77
    Oneway flight Bari to Dublin July 4th - €96

Very odd.

That's weird alright. All the return prices are different (well, the same - 96 vs 77). But the Business Plus fare is cheaper on the oneway.

Never heard of this with RY before. A/L sonetimes specify in their 'sales' - % off return flights , and if you book singles you don't the discount ( I know I tried, as I often mix and match). If you delete cookies and choose Italy as home site would that make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

it would appear FR are trying to get people to pay for seats in advance as you cant check in now weeks in advance like before only a few days now which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

1 week checkin, and its been like that well over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

jonnny68 wrote: »
    it would appear FR are trying to get people to pay for seats in advance as you cant check in now weeks in advance like before only a few days now which is a pain.

Eh? Check in has been a week for ages now. I always check in as late as possible as they fill the plane from the middle to the front and back. The last 2 flights, we (family of 4) got priority boarding and row 4 for nothing :)

Eh? Check in has been a week for ages now. I always check in as late as possible as they fill the plane from the middle to the front and back. The last 2 flights, we (family of 4) got priority boarding and row 4 for nothing :)

I always try check in first and most of the time I get Row 18, just behind the emergency exit seats. I find it preferable and usually have a good view of the wing :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

maybe its just the app then as im flying on friday and it will not allow me to check in until tomorrow at thge earliest unless i purchase a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Hey Guys

Hopefully you can help me out.

Over a month ago I had a cancelled flight home to the Netherlands from Venice. Horrible experience yada yada yada, anyway I was told the next flight home was not for 3/4 days and was recommended to travel to Verona and from there fly to Brussels, then take train home. This meant I had to stay in a hotel the day of cancelled flight (provided by Ryanair) and then the next day travel to Verona by public transport etc and then fly. In Brussels I arrived at midnight so stayed in a cheap hotel, paid myself, and then took train home to Netherlands the next day.

Anyhow I recorded all my expenses etc and issued them a month ago. The next day I received an email saying it would be directed to the head office. Since then I have been given a barrage of excuses as to why I have heard nothing. Today I tried calling and was told that I have to give the booking number, not for the cancelled flight, but for the re-directed one, for which I was only given a piece of paper from the ticket desk in Treviso, no booking number. Anyway the customer service rep hung up on me and I am fuming right now (I was pretty calm and collected on phone). Anyway what do I do here?

First of all its sickening to wait over a month, secondly its even worse to be told casually after this time you sent wrong booking code, or is this another excuse. I am so upset, it took me quite a bit of money to get home and they have been disgraceful to deal with.

Thanks if you can provide help/advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Surely they should be able to trace which flights you were on using your credit/debit card or passport. Every flight has a passenger manifest listing who is on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

they have live chat on their website.ask them direct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

esforum wrote: »
    they have live chat on their website.ask them direct

Have been using this plus calling for a month, sent a new email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A violinist ejected from a Ryanair flight even though they offered to pay by Euros and by credit card on the UK side to bring case on as hand luggage, Ryanair staff insisted that they had to pay by sterling and in cash.

http://www.theviolinchannel.com/ryanair-refuse-16-year-old-violinist-violin-payment-issue/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Obviously a bit OTT by Ryanair, but the Violinist should have researched that they actually need to pay to bring it on! Its also not unreasonable to be forced to pay in sterling while in the UK.

• Advertisement

Also, "The Violin Channel" is hardly an impartial news source for this story.

Edit: They even list Ryanair as British.

Advertisement