Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Aer Lingus a lot of the time force this policy, happened twice to me now going from Schiphol.

I didn't want to check in the bag as I don't fancy waiting around when I land, but they said it was necessary anyway even though my bag was within the carry on dimensions.

EasyJet did it to me twice as well, just had to suck it up. Ryanair 'encouraged' passengers not to have checked in baggage, everyone learnt how to have a 'short' holidays or breaks without big baggage = overhead bins full to brim on most flights, hence the checking in of smaller bags for 'free'. Ryanair also do it on full flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aer Lingus a lot of the time force this policy, happened twice to me now going from Schiphol.

I didn't want to check in the bag as I don't fancy waiting around when I land, but they said it was necessary anyway even though my bag was within the carry on dimensions.

You might well be within the correct dimensions but the overhead bins can only accommodate so many bags. There simply usually isn't enough room for everything to bring on a carry-on bag. This limited space is then exacarbated by the people who put everything (coat, handbag, duty-free bag etc) into the overhead bin. The DUB > AMS flights are often fully booked which means limited space.

TLDR - to get your carry-on into the overhead bin, you need to be early in the boarding process. Having airline status often helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

People who try to be princesses and put their coats in the overhead lockers drive me crazy.

BAGS ONLY.

*rant over*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dudara wrote: »
    You might well be within the correct dimensions but the overhead bins can only accommodate so many bags. There simply usually isn't enough room for everything to bring on a carry-on bag. This limited space is then exacarbated by the people who put everything (coat, handbag, duty-free bag etc) into the overhead bin. The DUB > AMS flights are often fully booked which means limited space.

TLDR - to get your carry-on into the overhead bin, you need to be early in the boarding process. Having airline status often helps too.

It's complete pot luck.

The first time it happened I was in the first 10 passengers getting on after priority, the second time it happened I had priority status and they wanted to check our bags. Another guy in the guy in the queue completely lost the rag and was repeating "my bag is not ending up in Singapore again"

Only way to not have a problem is to have a bag will fit under the seat in front of you.

I preferred when Ryanair were more strict with the carry on, less Muppets chancing their arm.

So not really anything to do with boarding first, it's the mood of what person on the gate.

They actually enforce the check in for carry on when the flight is full before the baggage lockers even become full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They actually enforce the check in for carry on when the flight is full before the baggage lockers even become full.

It probably speeds up boarding. Less people who've been queuing for 20 minutes who wait until they're on the plane to stand blocking the aisle, digging through their bag looking for the one thing they want to keep on hand, before they put their bag up. Because just using them time they're queuing to sort themselves out would involve too much thinking ahead.

• Advertisement

Obviously this is not applicable for Ryanair, but Aer Lingus have always left me keep my luggage during the pre-boarding check once I've flashed the Gold Circle Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

dudara wrote: »
    Obviously this is not applicable for Ryanair, but Aer Lingus have always left me keep my luggage during the pre-boarding check once I've flashed the Gold Circle Card.

I've had a couple of AMS-DUB flights (with KLM as the handling partner), where I've been forced to check carry-on at the gate, despite being GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

MOH wrote: »
    It probably speeds up boarding. Less people who've been queuing for 20 minutes who wait until they're on the plane to stand blocking the aisle, digging through their bag looking for the one thing they want to keep on hand, before they put their bag up. Because just using them time they're queuing to sort themselves out would involve too much thinking ahead.

Lately we've checked in our cabin baggage, less hassle and doesn't make you lose that much time I find. This was with AL, don't know if Ryanair let you check it in for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Leeds Bradford (still a horrible airport after all these years) had i thought relaxed their extremely strict policy of checking everyone's bags trying to get people to pay extra for luggage that sometimes ever so slightly oversized, usually targeting mothers with her children, haven't seen them really bother in about a year and a half up to a few weeks ago, one staff member made everyone check their bags in the bag hold,i assumed they had done away with this but evidently not, so just a word of caution for anyone flying out of LBA.

Clearly they must be getting some form of commission here, even going to and coming back from ibiza (ex Dublin) not once did they even look at anyones bags and i myself had a bag which was bigger!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    People who try to be princesses and put their coats in the overhead lockers drive me crazy.

BAGS ONLY.

*rant over*

Only job in that situation is to bury your bag in on top of the jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

But surely you don't have to pay to check in a correct sized bag in, if you need to check it in as a result of lack of room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Last night I booked a return ticket for early November. This morning checking the itinerary mail I realised I selected the 06:25 flight from Dublin rather than the 16:25.

Feeling like a complete idiot I tried the webchat to see if anything could be done, fully expecting to have to pay for a flight change. In less than 2 minutes the agent took my details and changed my ticket free of charge. I had the new confirmation mail before I could even close the chat. Long live the new happy smiley Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

Last night I booked a return ticket for early November. This morning checking the itinerary mail I realised I selected the 06:25 flight from Dublin rather than the 16:25.

Feeling like a complete idiot I tried the webchat to see if anything could be done, fully expecting to have to pay for a flight change. In less than 2 minutes the agent took my details and changed my ticket free of charge. I had the new confirmation mail before I could even close the chat. Long live the new happy smiley Ryanair

Fair play. Credit where it's due. Just as a matter of interest, what is the policy of the opposition in those circumstances ?

AL will do similar - I made an error due to a page refresh a few years back and they fixed it with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ryanair app doesn't work on Windows phone. Anyone know if a PDF of my ticket in Adobe on phone will do. Flying from Lanzarote next week.
    Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We are going to Dublin tomorrow for a week and printed out our boarding passes (4 of them with Priority boarding for late check in - thanks Ryanair). I plan to check in for my return leg later in the week and print out the boarding passes in Dublin.

If I check in using the app on one smartphone, will all the boarding passes from the booking be available and can they be used or do we need a phone for each boarding pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ronjo

I put this is travel but maybe its better suited to here.

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is the place to ask but I will try.

I booked flights from Slovakia to Ireland using my Slovak Visa Electron card and when I typed in the number the website changed by currency from EUR to USD.
    There was then a message guaranteeing a fixed rate and my EUR amount would be the same.
    When I clicked ok the amount take from my account was 50 euros more.

I lodged a complaint with Ryanair and they said they would get back to me in 7 days which was 12 days ago.

I have checked my issue log and it says waiting for info from client so basically

1. They changed the ccy from USD to EUR for no reason.
    2. They didnt give me the rate they guaranteed.
    3. They have incorrect status on the issue log.

Has anyone else come across this and did you get it sorted.

Thanks

Another one to look out for. Lovey dovey RY have just charged me 2% on a debit card booking �� . I sent them an email and have now received an email saying my 'ticket' is solved, but also saying they didn't understand the problem and to contact them again!! The insurance 'trick ' all over again??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

maybe your complaint was not 100% clear. I also had that problem, & the money was refunded with apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tried to check in online yesterday, it seems that when using Google Chrome the seat selection screen is unusable. It won't let you scroll up and down the seats, scrolling only moves it up and down the page. As a result, the only way I could access all seats was by reducing the zoom down until it fitted the screen. Working with such a tiny screen was a bad idea, and I ended up booking the seats I wanted but only for the return journey, not the outbound.

Contacted Ryanair via chat today, asked if I could book the correct seats. I didn't mind paying the €30 fee even though I had already paid for return seats which I didn't particularly want.

They agreed to book the seats, but only at a cost of €45 instead of €30 because I had not booked the correct seats during check in! I told the agent that the only reason I hadn't booked them during check in was because Ryanair's site does not seem to be compatible with Chrome. His response? "If there is anything else I can help you with please come back to us. Goodbye". Then he disconnected the chat.

Arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm still waiting many weeks later for the €10 voucher they promised me and many others for filling in the MyRyanair section..

Anyone else who think both RY and AL should sell those first 6 rows for €5? The odd time I actually pay for a seat I confine myself to the cheap seats or wait for free allocation. On occasions with A/L I can't book seats for the return journey as I don't have access to the Internet, so I just queue up and get allocated a seat at the airport and most of the time I am allocated a seat in the first 6 rows. So obviously with A/L the more expensive seats are actually handed out free to passengers who don't check in online. I suspect that RY allocate those seats to passengers who check in last but who haven't bought a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

Can you book a seat for an infant who's under 1 when it's cheaper to pay for a seat than having to pay the €20 for an infant?

So literally have a spare seat as infant will still be on lap but more space than anything and cheaper ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rpow

Hi everyone

Myself and my partner recently didn't take a ryanair flight and, out of curiosity, I inquired about how much we could get back in taxes and charges – in expectation that it would not be much, of course! Our flights were only about €60 return each, and I think we bought them in a sale.

I was told that "there are no taxes on these flights that you have booked as those are international flights and in those cases there is no specific point where the product could be taxated." My reservation indeed doesn't have any breakdown for taxes and charges, but this makes no sense to me. Paying taxes and charges is the norm, as far as I know. Having a quick search on Aer Lingus, flying to the same airport would incur taxes and charges of €30-40 each way.

What I'm wondering is, is this some kind of move by Ryanair to stop paying the refunds? I have searched a couple of different flights – both sale and non-sale – and they are not showing a breakdown for taxes and charges. Can they do this? Surely the taxes have to be paid, but by not officially charging us for the taxes can they circumvent regulations?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no outbound tax from Ireland and a number of other countries in Europe - the main use of refund claims is for flights that involve an outbound from the UK which has a hefty departure tax.

I suspect the actual response should have been that the airport/transit charges were less than the fee they charge for refunding them. Additionally, some fares are actually cheaper than the accumulated taxes/charges in the first place and are at that price for promotional reasons so the full amount isn't refundable as the passenger never paid it.

Advertisement