Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Karmella wrote: »
    What do people think of Oscar?

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Suucee wrote: »
    I love names that cant br shortened. So recently named our new baba Luke.

And already he is being nicknamed Lukey. Its driving me demented. He is only 6 weeks old (well 7 tomorrow).
    My 5 year old corrects anyone who calls our two week old lukey!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For a boy i like
    Cameron
    Kyle
    Calvin
    Mason

And for a girl
    Baileigh-Lynn
    Jody
    Jaimie
    Storm
    Savannah

I like Cameron and Baileigh Lynn best though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

January wrote: »
    My 5 year old corrects anyone who calls our two week old lukey!

Ill have to try teach the 2 year old that. But she calls him Cook so not going to be very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Suucee wrote: »
    Ill have to try teach the 2 year old that. But she calls him Cook so not going to be very effective.

Thats so cute:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Karmella wrote: »
    What do people think of Oscar?

My husband vetoed it but i like it. I love alot of the names from Celtic mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Heard of a little girl been named Sibéal this week, pronounced Shih-bale. Apparently it's Irish for Isabelle. I can't decide if I like it or not! I'm all for Irish names, but sometimes I think people go out if their way to pick the most obscure Irish names possible. I can just see her being called Sybil all her life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's not that obscure, I've heard it a bunch of times. Pretty name IMO.

I love Oscar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ncmc wrote: »
    Heard of a little girl been named Sibéal this week, pronounced Shih-bale. Apparently it's Irish for Isabelle. I can't decide if I like it or not! I'm all for Irish names, but sometimes I think people go out if their way to pick the most obscure Irish names possible. I can just see her being called Sybil all her life!

Yeah, I went to school in the gaeltacht, there was more Sibéals than there was Amy's, and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Isolt wrote: »
    Anybody any suggestions for a pretty French girls name?

Sabine. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Sabine. I love it!

I like Sabine. Élodie is pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Any opinions on Adalynne??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Ms2011 wrote: »

It'll never be spelled right first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Is it pronounced 'Ah-dah- lin'? Like Madeline without the M?
    I have never heard of it. I don't love it, to be honest.

I know someone in America with an Adelynn... It's probably pronounced quite the same and I think it's really pretty.

It'll never be spelled right first time.

Really, I heard it & googled it & spelt it correctly first time. It's spelt exactly how it sounds :confused:

January wrote: »
    I know someone in America with an Adelynn... It's probably pronounced quite the same and I think it's really pretty.

Yeah it seems to come from America alright, for some reason I'm always really drawn to American names, dunno why. Like if we have a boy next his name is Blake, no doubt but I've never had too many girl names in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Really, I heard it & googled it & spelt it correctly first time. It's spelt exactly how it sounds :confused:

But I think the name could be pronounced Adda or Ayda in the prefix so open to some ambiguity I would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Funny I would have pronounced it Ah-dah-line from looking at it. If I heard it, I'd expect it to be spelt Adeline so I can see chatastrophe's point. It's a pretty name, but I'd agree, open to mis-spelling.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    But I think the name could be pronounced Adda or Ayda in the prefix so open to some ambiguity I would have said.

Well I'd have pronounced it Adda, but you're absolutely right, it could just as well have been Ayda.

So realistically we have Adalyn, Addalyn, Aydalyn, Aydalynn, Adalynn, Aidalyn, Aildalin, Adalin, Adalin, Aidalinn, Éadalinn, Adalin, and about a million and ten variations.

No it's pronounced Ah-Da-Lynn (like the surname).

My own name has been mis spelt all my life & I survived so that wouldn't really bother me :p

Mine has too and my daughter who's name is Addison gets Madison and Allison regularly. It's easily corrected.

Fair enough if it wouldn't bother you. So long as you're aware of it in advance anyways. :)

Personally I'd much prefer a name with one usual common spelling, to me it makes life much easier, everyone differs of course!

Fair enough if it wouldn't bother you. So long as you're aware of it in advance anyways. :)

Personally I'd much prefer a name with one usual common spelling, to me it makes life much easier, everyone differs of course!

I have a Joseph & it does have it advantages being spelt & pronounced the same everywhere but that said I wouldn't not use a name I liked because it might be spelt or pronounced wrong. My friend's name is Ian, fairly straightforward but the amount of times he gets Ean, Eain or Iain is amazing!!!:D

I have a Joseph & it does have it advantages being spelt & pronounced the same everywhere but that said I wouldn't not use a name I liked because it might be spelt or pronounced wrong. My friend's name is Ian, fairly straightforward but the amount of times he gets Ean, Eain or Iain is amazing!!!:D

And if it happens with a fairly normal straightforward name like Ian, you can imagine how it would happen constantly with a name like Adelynne!

And if it happens with a fairly normal straightforward name like Ian, you can imagine how it would happen constantly with a name like Adelynne!

No name is safe;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

One name I hate is Trevor haha :P But one name I love is Alicia or Aleesha w/e.

Anyone here got any exotic names?

Would love to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Just found out I'm expecting again I called my son Sean but other boys names I like are:

Freddie (love this but partner's cousin called her boy this)
    Oscar
    Aodhan

Girls

Amelia
    Alex
    Sophia
    Ruby (but there's a lot of Rubys out there now!)
    Elodie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Boys names?

Kasper
    Carter
    Victor
    Caine

Advertisement