Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Just found out I'm expecting again I called my son Sean but other boys names I like are:

Freddie (love this but partner's cousin called her boy this)
    Oscar
    Aodhan

Girls

Amelia
    Alex
    Sophia
    Ruby (but there's a lot of Rubys out there now!)
    Elodie

I love Oscar and Aodhan,Freddie to me does not sound like a real name.
    I am not mad about Ruby.
    I love Elodie and Amelia and Sophia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Boys names?

Kasper
    Carter
    Victor
    Caine

none of them would appeal to me but none of them would be common either so he would have a nice unique name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Just found out I'm expecting again I called my son Sean but other boys names I like are:

Freddie (love this but partner's cousin called her boy this)
    Oscar
    Aodhan

Girls

Amelia
    Alex
    Sophia
    Ruby (but there's a lot of Rubys out there now!)
    Elodie

Love Oscar from your boys list. All of our girls names are lovely (especially Amelia and Elodie) but I'm not sure about Alex. On paper, its hard to tell if Alex is a boy or girl, so I'd go with Alexa/Alexandra or something like that with Alex for short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

There are some great names here! OK maybe not Mildred or Gertrude or Cecil. :D But some of the more old-fashioned names are just gorgeous. Like Opal, Agnes, Viola, Thelma, Dorothy, Helen, Floyd.

Much nicer than some of the currently fashionable ones like Levi or Savannah or Britney, in my opinion!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2644187/How-tell-someones-age-name.html

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Have any of ye had issues witb your other half about choosing a name? We're just starting and he's already had a good laugh at one of my names and called it stupid (sooo mad at the intolerant idiot). Its put a dampner on the whole name thing for me and I cant even look at him now, never mind feel comfortable sharing names with him :( The name was Daithi btw (cant do fadas here) not exactly Lucifer or beelzebub anything.

• Advertisement

On the bright side, now you've saved yourself the hassle of fadas etc when you're on the phone.

It's not a reason to decide against the name ... but at the same time ... fadas are a total pain in the ass. I wouln't advise ruling out Irish names because of it. But just. Be very aware of the fact that it's crap for the kid, having to spell their name every time.

On the bright side, now you've saved yourself the hassle of fadas etc when you're on the phone.

It's not a reason to decide against the name ... but at the same time ... fadas are a total pain in the ass. I wouln't advise ruling out Irish names because of it. But just. Be very aware of the fact that it's crap for the kid, having to spell their name every time.

Thanks Chatt. Although it wasn't the fadas that were the issue as he has names with fadas in the list too. He was just being a moron but i'm not sure how to get past it.

On the fada point, I would disagree that having a name with fadas would be a hassle anymore than an average name. I've a very standard, English name that is simple but I have to spell it a lot for people, which is no bother, one letter gets them. And my surname is pretty common but there are a lot of ways to spell that, so I usually just spell out my whole name. Hasn't caused me any sleepless nights yet ;) i'm sure the French, German etc parents don't worry about how others deal with the accents or umlauts. I don't think a fada is enough to decided a name for me, nor the chance that my phone can't do them. If that was the case, we might as well just give them numbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sure fadas don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things for things like texts and whatnot.

Daithí is a lovely name IMO. I think it's the Irish for David isn't it? (there were 2 Daithí's in my year and I don't know this!). I would be really hurt if my OH called a name I liked (that is a normal name) stupid, obviously if I wanted something mad it would be one thing, but Daithí is a normal everyday Irish name. That's just hurtful. What sort of names is he suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It's definitely Irish for David I call my cousin that.. Only me and his mother use it..

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Sure fadas don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things for things like texts and whatnot.

Daithí is a lovely name IMO. I think it's the Irish for David isn't it? (there were 2 Daithí's in my year and I don't know this!). I would be really hurt if my OH called a name I liked (that is a normal name) stupid, obviously if I wanted something mad it would be one thing, but Daithí is a normal everyday Irish name. That's just hurtful. What sort of names is he suggesting.

Thanks wolfpawnat. I'm sure we'll work it out, it just really stung! We had a chat about it yesterday and we're getting there. It is David, afaik. His top names are like Conal, Conn, Fionn/Finn. I like conal and fionn too, not conn. I can see we'll have a lot of differences of opinion with raising a kid, we'll have to get better at dealing with it :)

• Advertisement

It's definitely Irish for David I call my cousin that.. Only me and his mother use it..

Maybe we'll christen him David but I'll just get everyone to call him Daithi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I can see we'll have a lot of differences of opinion with raising a kid, we'll have to get better at dealing with it :)

Ah you might totally agree with parenting styles. Myself and OH took ages to agree on a name for our daughter. We knew the gender from about 21 weeks and had 2 names picked (took a while to agree) but when she was born neither suited. Then the whole thing started again.
    With our son it wasn't as hard.

We are totally on the same page re parenting and discipline (most of the time, he's a bit soft by times ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am not too keen on Daithí. The accent it is spoken with would make a big difference too. Any Daithí's I know are shortened to Dots, or Dotsy.

It is totally normal to have a difference of opinion regarding names. But it is how you deal with these differences that is the important thing. Why don't you both write a list of names each and give them to each other? You can cross out the names that you really hate, and have a chat about the ones which you don't hate as much. You may even have a few you both write on your list.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I am not too keen on Daithí. The accent it is spoken with would make a big difference too. Any Daithí's I know are shortened to Dots, or Dotsy.

It is totally normal to have a difference of opinion regarding names. But it is how you deal with these differences that is the important thing. Why don't you both write a list of names each and give them to each other? You can cross out the names that you really hate, and have a chat about the ones which you don't hate as much. You may even have a few you both write on your list.

I'd say it as Dah-hee,, or maybe with the a more like the o in pot or hot. Haven't heard it with the 't' sound included much. Its a bit of a moot point for me now anyway!

We're going to try that, each writing our own list and then comparing.

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

We have 3 picked for boy and girl

Killian
    Matthew
    Aaron

Rebecca
    Megan
    Caoimhe pronounced keeva

Not too keen on Rebecca tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Nice names Greenman, except for Megan wouldn't be gone on that one, too american for my taste ;-)
    I bought a book of irish names yesterday in Waterstones and have picked a few girl's ones out. He has a pronounciation guide in the back and some of the pronounciations surprisee me.
    Like 1 I like is Doireann, which I would pronounce 'Dir-ann' but he says it's pronounced 'Der-ann' any opinions?

Another one is Máire which I would pronounce as 'Moy-ra' but he says it's pronounced 'Maura'
    Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I had two doireanns in my class in school, we pronouced them like dear-in. Very popular again, i know three baby doireanns this year so far!

I would pronounce maire the way you do also, but that's not to say it's right or wrong. So many different irish accents, there are loads of pronunciations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Lucuma wrote: »
    Nice names Greenman, except for Megan wouldn't be gone on that one, too american for my taste ;-)
    I bought a book of irish names yesterday in Waterstones and have picked a few girl's ones out. He has a pronounciation guide in the back and some of the pronounciations surprisee me.
    Like 1 I like is Doireann, which I would pronounce 'Dir-ann' but he says it's pronounced 'Der-ann' any opinions?

Another one is Máire which I would pronounce as 'Moy-ra' but he says it's pronounced 'Maura'
    Hmmm....

Máire with the fada is Moy- ra, and I knew a Doireann (in my Gaelscoil) and it was pronounced Dir-ann. This was in Dublin. I think the accent and dialect can often change the pronounciation, you only have to look at the difference in how many ways there are to pronounce Caoimhe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

ElleEm wrote: »
    Máire with the fada is Moy- ra, and I knew a Doireann (in my Gaelscoil) and it was pronounced Dir-ann. This was in Dublin. I think the accent and dialect can often change the pronounciation, you only have to look at the difference in how many ways there are to pronounce Caoimhe.

...or Sorcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

pwurple wrote: »
    I had two doireanns in my class in school, we pronouced them like dear-in. Very popular again, i know three baby doireanns this year so far!

Really? Yet another variation so!

Well ladies & gents the top 100 irish baby names from 2013 is out!

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2013/#.U4ydr3KSwSs

None of the ones I'm looking at for my little one (Maeve, Doireann, Muireann, Blaithín, Blaithnaid, Gráinne, Máire) are on it, delighted :-)
    Maeve was on it last year but seems to have dropped off the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Lucuma wrote: »
    Really? Yet another variation so!

Well ladies & gents the top 100 irish baby names from 2013 is out!

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2013/#.U4ydr3KSwSs

None of the ones I'm looking at for my little one (Maeve, Doireann, Muireann, Blaithín, Blaithnaid, Gráinne, Máire) are on it, delighted :-)
    Maeve was on it last year but seems to have dropped off the list.

Maeve (or Meabh) is lovely. A personal favourite of mine too :D

Good to see the trend of names is staying around the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Hey guys,

Still a big fan of Róise, Méabh & Doireann

Boys names, Tadhg, Dáithí & Eoghain

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've never seen Meabh spelled with a fada, or Eoghan spelled with an I ... are these local variations on the spellings? Also (can't do fadas on my phone) but putting two fadas in Daithi really changes the pronunciation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

I've never seen Meabh spelled with a fada, or Eoghan spelled with an I ... are these local variations on the spellings? Also (can't do fadas on my phone) but putting two fadas in Daithi really changes the pronunciation ...

Local variations, although I've noticed a few Meadhbh's also. As regards Dáithí, I copied Mr O'Sé for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I reckon most names are fine, as long as you don't afflict the child with double barrel surname nonsense. Even the most unassuming first name sounds pretentious when it's paired with O'Doherty-Flynn or similar.

Is it just me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Tadgh? How do ye pronounce that?

Is it Tog? Tag? Todge? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

You pronounce it thigh... As in the Top of your leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

You pronounce it thigh... As in the Top of your leg

I only ever hear it pronounced Thige! Never as Thi. Must be serious regional variations with that name! :)

I'd pronounce it like Tiger but without the "er", if that makes sense! :D

• Advertisement

By the way, how would you pronounce Doireann? I'm thinking something like "Durren", am I close?

I really like the name Róise. :)

Advertisement