Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

By the way, how would you pronounce Doireann? I'm thinking something like "Durren", am I close?

I really like the name Róise. :)

Dirin rhymes with mirin in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

I'm thinking something like "Durren", am I close?

Bang on the money! Open to correction though, some say 'Dear-in' others say 'Durrin', there could be many other pronunciations.

I really like Róise, although I was a little worried of it being pronounced as 'Rosie'. Me & my madness have been 'testing it out' at Starbucks. When I order a coffee & put my name down as Róise & spell it for them, they compliment me on it too! 70% of the time they call out Róise (Ro-sha) the rest of the time they'll shout of 'Rosie'.

Yes, I know I'm a lil OTT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'd pronounce it like Tiger but without the "er", if that makes sense! :D

This is it exactly. Best of my knowledge pronouncing it with a th is incorrect. It is tiger without the er.
    Irish for Timothy I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Plates wrote: »
    I reckon most names are fine, as long as you don't afflict the child with double barrel surname nonsense. Even the most unassuming first name sounds pretentious when it's paired with O'Doherty-Flynn or similar.

Is it just me?

I don't think there's anything wrong with double barrel surnames. Each partner has their own identity and name and perhaps they just want their children to keep a part of each. Also perhaps the mother doesn't want to give up her name yet wants to have the same surname as her/their children. Nothing pretentious about it at all IMHO. It annoys me when people make silly judgements like that.... But that's just me. Each to their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Plates wrote: »
    I reckon most names are fine, as long as you don't afflict the child with double barrel surname nonsense. Even the most unassuming first name sounds pretentious when it's paired with O'Doherty-Flynn or similar.

Is it just me?

Where I live it's perfectly normal to have a double surname. It's not hyphenated, but a child will always have the paternal surnames of both their parents. When our daughter was born we gave her both our surnames, it's not hyphenated so she can drop my surname in daily use but officially she will always have both and I like it that way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Still a big fan of Róise, Méabh & Doireann

Boys names, Tadhg, Dáithí & Eoghain

There's no need for the 'i' in Eoghan. The only time you would see it spelt this way is in Tír Eoghain or Scoil Eoghain, because when there are two nouns together, the spelling of the second one changes. So, Eoghan is the man's name, Eoghan's country is Tír Eoghain.

Putting two fadas in Daithí makes it Daw-Hee, which is the way Dáithí Ó Sé would pronounce it.

I like that spelling of Méabh, it's straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm of the opinion that it's fine if the names actually sound good together in the first place. So Hennessy Blythe or Lawlor Hayes or names that can roll into one another quite well. I know in Spain it's common place but most names sound good, say Diaz Cabrera.

What I do object to, is the marriage of very Irish names so the child ends up being called something like:

Amelia O' Shaughnessey McGillicuddy

No, just no.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that it's fine if the names actually sound good together in the first place. So Hennessy Blythe or Lawlor Hayes or names that can roll into one another quite well. I know in Spain it's common place but most names sound good, say Diaz Cabrera.

What I do object to, is the marriage of very Irish names so the child ends up being called something like:

Lol. I'd take o'shaughnessey over McGillicuddy...

Or Mahoney McDermott...........Nooooooooo!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I know an O'Byrne-O'Reilly ... ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

By the way, how would you pronounce Doireann? I'm thinking something like "Durren", am I close?

If I seen that written I'd pronounce it as Dooreen, very interesting reading this thread and the different way people pronounce things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'd say door-e-ann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

If you just look back 2 pages on this thread this topic already came up!
    Dir-ann and Dear-in seem to be both used.

I'm seriously leaning towards this name now for babs (either that or Maeve are top contenders at the moment) and I'll be pronouncing it Dir-ann.

I'd say door-e-ann

Door-e-ann as in like Dorian from the Oscar Wilde book 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'?
    I wouldn't think Doireann is pronounced like that at all

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Bang on the money! Open to correction though, some say 'Dear-in' others say 'Durrin', there could be many other pronunciations.

I really like Róise, although I was a little worried of it being pronounced as 'Rosie'. Me & my madness have been 'testing it out' at Starbucks. When I order a coffee & put my name down as Róise & spell it for them, they compliment me on it too! 70% of the time they call out Róise (Ro-sha) the rest of the time they'll shout of 'Rosie'.

Yes, I know I'm a lil OTT :D

Haha....can't believe the lengths you're going to! I really like your names by the way, Snap! I could have written your name list

Xdancer wrote: »
    Where I live it's perfectly normal to have a double surname. It's not hyphenated, but a child will always have the paternal surnames of both their parents. When our daughter was born we gave her both our surnames, it's not hyphenated so she can drop my surname in daily use but officially she will always have both and I like it that way :)

That's the Spanish tradition right? But in Ireland our tradition has always been to only give the father's name. I know that's changing now but I would say it's still the way the majority of Irish people name their kids.

pc7 wrote: »
    If I seen that written I'd pronounce it as Dooreen, very interesting reading this thread and the different way people pronounce things.

But Doreen is a name unto itself, I know one! Doreen is an english name.
    Doireann is an unrelated irish name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Lucuma wrote: »
    Really? Yet another variation so!

Well ladies & gents the top 100 irish baby names from 2013 is out!

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2013/#.U4ydr3KSwSs

Was looking at these last night, my daughters name is in there at no 8, but my two boys aren't. Eldest lad (9) wants to change his name now to something more common. Although in Scotland his name is probably in the top 5.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

But Doreen is a name unto itself, I know one! Doreen is an english name.
    Doireann is an unrelated irish name

It may be but its still how I'd pronounce it. Its like Ava and Aoibhe (don't know how to do fadas), I have a friend who called their daughter Aoibhe pronounced Eve but I would have always pronounced Aoibhe as Ava. Maybe my Irish is just ****e! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Isolt wrote: »
    Anybody any suggestions for a pretty French girls name?

From the top of my head:
    Charlotte, Elena, Manon, Dorothée, Marion, Sabine, Claire, Chantal,
    Melanie, Carolyn, Léna, Josephine, Jocelyne, Vivienne, Margaux

• Advertisement

My poor daughter has been lumbered with a French/Irish combination, although my surname (Irish one) is fairly neutral sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

If you just look back 2 pages on this thread this topic already came up!
    Dir-ann and Dear-in seem to be both used.

I'm seriously leaning towards this name now for babs (either that or Maeve are top contenders at the moment) and I'll be pronouncing it Dir-ann.

Id go with Maeve...just sounds lovely imo and I think thats the best way to spell it also:)

pc7 wrote: »
    It may be but its still how I'd pronounce it. Its like Ava and Aoibhe (don't know how to do fadas), I have a friend who called their daughter Aoibhe pronounced Eve but I would have always pronounced Aoibhe as Ava. Maybe my Irish is just ****e! :D

I would prounce any name beginning with Aoi as ee, therefore I would prounce Aoibhe as Eva. If I wanted it to be pronounced Ava (ay-va) I would spell it Éabha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Xdancer wrote: »
    I would prounce any name beginning with Aoi as ee, therefore I would prounce Aoibhe as Eva. If I wanted it to be pronounced Ava (ay-va) I would spell it Éabha.

Yeah that would be correct IMO. It seems that people take a lot of artistic licence when it comes to pronouncing Irish names though :pac:

There are loads of Irish names which I love, but I just wouldn't be keen on a name if the child will spend their lives correcting people on its spelling or pronunciation.

I have a young sister called Éadaoin (pronounced like Aideen), I think it's a lovely name, but recently I was looking at the cards from when she was born and I don't think it was spelt correctly on a single one ... and some of the permutations of her name on birthday cards, party invitations etc are just hilarious! Most people know it begins with É , but after that they just throw in any random combination of letters and hope for the best.

And if people see it written down and attempt to pronounce it, they rarely get it right. She's been called Ava, Addison, "Id-ee-in", "Eeee-deee-neee", Eithne, and much more.

It just seems to me like a bit of a pain in the ass, constantly correcting people and having to spell your name every single time.

On a related note, as a matter of interest, does anyone know the Irish for William? Or is there an Irish version?

Isn't Liam the Irish for William?

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if it's the Irish version or just a shortened version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know a fella, who was named Liam as it is the Irish for his dad's name, William. I don't usually love parents naming their kids after themselves but I think it is a lovely nod to the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I heard this one today and loved it, can't see it going down well here though! What do we think of Polly? :o

• Advertisement

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard this one today and loved it, can't see it going down well here though! What do we think of Polly? :o

I'm thinking of when the poor kid is all grown up and working in a proper job.

Someone comes in for an interview - "Oh, Polly will be with you in just a few minutes."

Nooo .... :o I'm sorry, but no no no! It's a lovely name for a doll. Not for a person.

Advertisement