Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My other half really wants Will for a boy but that would give him the same name as a very famous actor, don't think that's good? I also hate to think of it being changed to Willy... We're also thinking of Joe, opinions? He's also thrown in Arthur & Walt

For a girl, I like Erica, Alicia, (he doesn't like it) Ailish (worried about spelling) or Alison. He's convinced its a boy so he doesn't have any names picked! I really love the name Allie but not sure if it's best kept as a nickname...
    Snap! My hubby wants Will for a boy, I too would worry about it becoming Bill/Billy or worst of all Willie. Also (and this is going to sound awful) I'm from the border area and when I suggested William to my mum, she said it was an Orange name!) I know that's probably just a generational thing, but I hate the thought of calling my baby something I know his granny doesn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

ElleEm wrote: »
    Arthur Smith sounds like a famous author or something.

I wondered about the transition of Ali but I have known her since she was a baby and she is about 11 now and it is growing with her. I know two Allysons (mother and daughter) and the daughter has been Ally since she was a child. She must be 40 now but again it just suits her.

Agree with you on Arthur, its a very smart name! Just cant really imagine it on a baby/little boy, guess its because Ive never met any, which isnt a bad thing I guess! And they wont be babies for ever:(

Oh thats good to know, thanks!

Will probably change our minds when the baby arrives anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Will probably change our minds when the baby arrives anyway:rolleyes:

You know I always thought this was complete rubbish, but lo and behold when I had my son the name I had my heart set on (Cillian) just did not sit right with us and him when he was born. We hadn't discussed any other boys names and were panicking for 2 days trying to pick a new one!! We decided on Eric in the end and it was totally out of left field.
    And his middle name is my surname so we couldn't even think of another name lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the name Cillian but my husband didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Karmella wrote: »
    And his middle name is my surname so we couldn't even think of another name lol.

That's really interesting Karmella, I'm thinking of doing that as well but hubby has reservations about it. Can I just ask - will your name appear on the child's passport then or not? Will the child be registered in school with both your surnames or just your OH's?

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    That's really interesting Karmella, I'm thinking of doing that as well but hubby has reservations about it. Can I just ask - will your name appear on the child's passport then or not? Will the child be registered in school with both your surnames or just your OH's?

Well that's kinda why we did it because I didn't want to change my name after we married. So on his passport the surname is X and his forenames are Eric Y. (although on a side note the eejits in the passport office managed to misspell the middle name :rolleyes: ... people constantly spell my surname wrong anyway major bugbear, but how they could do it when they are just supposed to copy from the form is beyond me .... /end rant)

So his name for day to day is Eric X, its not double barrelled. my surname will be used just like any other middle name.

I suppose its a useful way of having my name on his passport, in case there was ever an issue when travelling.

Will probably do the same for this baby aswell, whether its a boy or girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Anybody any suggestions for a pretty French girls name?

Karmella wrote: »
    Well that's kinda why we did it because I didn't want to change my name after we married. So on his passport the surname is X and his forenames are Eric Y. (although on a side note the eejits in the passport office managed to misspell the middle name :rolleyes: ... people constantly spell my surname wrong anyway major bugbear, but how they could do it when they are just supposed to copy from the form is beyond me .... /end rant)

So his name for day to day is Eric X, its not double barrelled. my surname will be used just like any other middle name.

I suppose its a useful way of having my name on his passport, in case there was ever an issue when travelling.

Will probably do the same for this baby aswell, whether its a boy or girl.

I really like the idea alot! Thanks for explaining how it works. I think this info could allay OH's fears (I think he thinks I'm trying to sneak in a double-barrelled surname for the child, I'm not)

Is it optional whether to put the child's middle name on the passport or not? My middle name isn't on my passport?!

Is it optional whether to put the child's middle name on the passport or not? My middle name isn't on my passport?!

I don't know actually, I suppose if you don't put it on the form then it wouldn't go on the passport? Not every one has a middle name so I guess it has to be an optional field. The birth cert is sent off with the application but they probably don't check that the name is exactly as per that. (certainly didn't in my son's case anyway!)

Isolt wrote: »

Amelie, Adele, Chantal, Madeleine, Simone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

In the first section you have to put all your info in - all names etc, then there is a part with "Name to appear on passport" - you can choose then to put in a second name or not or a double barrel surname or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

I've always thought that Élodie is very pretty :)

Actually your username reminded me of how much I love Isolt/Iseult too!

silly wrote: »
    In the first section you have to put all your info in - all names etc, then there is a part with "Name to appear on passport" - you can choose then to put in a second name or not or a double barrel surname or not

Cheers thanks. I'd say though if there's a double barrelled surname on the birth cert (as in hyphenated) it has to go on the passport right? You can't not put the surname from the birth cert on the passport I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Cheers thanks. I'd say though if there's a double barrelled surname on the birth cert (as in hyphenated) it has to go on the passport right? You can't not put the surname from the birth cert on the passport I'd say

My daughter has 2 surnames on her birthcert - mine and my ex's when getting her passport i had to fill in both surnames in first section but for the section "name to appear on passport" i left the second surname out...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Amélie, Auriane, Morgane, Élodie, Marie, Isabelle, Valérie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I adore the name Bea (pronounced Bay-a)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Élodie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Elodie is a gorgeous name.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

January wrote: »
    Elodie is a gorgeous name.

How do you pronounce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it's eh-low-dee. Lovely name.

• Advertisement

silly wrote: »
    My daughter has 2 surnames on her birthcert - mine and my ex's when getting her passport i had to fill in both surnames in first section but for the section "name to appear on passport" i left the second surname out...

Are your surnames hyphenated on her birth cert? e.g. Murphy-Flynn
    Or is it just Murphy Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I love Elodie and Amelie too. A few other French ones I like are

Aurelie
    Madeleine
    Juliette
    Rosalie
    Genevieve
    Mirabelle
    Maelle
    Arielle
    Cosette
    Camille
    Eloise

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My daughter has a double barrelled surname as in hyphenated: Murphy-Guinness. When we were registering her I asked about what difference the hyphen made. The registrar told me without the hyphen she would have two surnames, where one could be dropped if we/herself wished to. Putting them together with a hyphen means you are creating a new surname, you cannot drop a name you would have to officially change your name to one or the other.

Hope that is of some hope, I don't know the official rules for passports but I would guess they follow those rules.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I love Elodie and Amelie too. A few other French ones I like are

Aurelie
    Madeleine
    Juliette
    Rosalie
    Genevieve
    Mirabelle
    Maelle
    Arielle
    Cosette
    Camille
    Eloise

I love Aurelie too :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I know someone who named their baby Maud recently after their mother and apparently the nurses in the hospital were saying it was years and years since there had been a baby named Maud born there.

This was in CUH in Cork which averages 25 babies a day, so I would say it is likely that Maud would be a super super rare name.

Martha I like Mabel I'm not so keen on.

My 2 cents.

we ended u with a boy called Leo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I've only ever seen it spelled with an e at the end, Maude. It's quite nice, I'm not sure I'd consider it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I wouldn't name a child something that I'd be embarrassed yelling in public. Also, reality has to come into it. Multisyllabic names will be shortened and modified by friends and family , i.e, Aurielle will inevitably become Aurrie and Genevieve will become Gen (or Jen). So be careful with the fancy names because they'll never stick. Another point is pronunciation and spelling. A French person may be able to pronounce Isolt/Iseult/Isolde but an Irish person never will.

A lot of parents tend to pick clever names and revert to the standard ones once the baby has been propelled down birth canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I love names that cant br shortened. So recently named our new baba Luke.

And already he is being nicknamed Lukey. Its driving me demented. He is only 6 weeks old (well 7 tomorrow).

What do people think of Oscar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Suucee wrote: »
    I love names that cant br shortened. So recently named our new baba Luke.

And already he is being nicknamed Lukey. Its driving me demented. He is only 6 weeks old (well 7 tomorrow).

I've had a couple of people trying to give Hugo a nickname. So far they've only come up with Huggy :-/

Advertisement