Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

No I'm not a fan of Lacie and I heard a baby called Lexi too recently and I really don't like it. I heard a baby being called Walter in the local shop today which I had on my list of boy names and was surprised to see it attached to a tiny boy. Strange when you hear it being used how you can react to a name that you really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My son is William Arthur. I have decided that I shall have twin girls next time, and they shall be called Amelia Rose and Alice Catherine.

And then I'm done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

My son is William Arthur. I have decided that I shall have twin girls next time, and they shall be called Amelia Rose and Alice Catherine.

How lovely - I have Arthur on my list too. Don't normally like William but love the double barrel with Arthur; very fancy. Love Amelia Rose especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

You like the double names! :). I love love love Amelia Rose!! Permission to steal please??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sounds like an excellent plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Amelie,Amelia and Eloise,really not a fan of Maud or Mabel.
    Lexi might be a shortened form of Alexis which doesn't sound as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I really love Amelie. Elsa is nice but it'll surge in popularity this year because of Frozen.

If I'm being very honest I don't love Leon but its a perfectly good name, its not a bad name and it doesn't have any bad points per se, its just not to my personal taste. Sorry!

Heard of a baby girl named Lacie recently, thoughts? I'm not a fan at all!

I know a grown up lacey and she is lovely so I would have positive opinion on the name.

E names are soo popular- I have 12 friends pregnant and all of them are considering some version of Eloise, Ella,Elsa, Emilie etc. Alexander/alexandra are super popular to or else just in my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh I really like maud and mabel. pretty vintage tea sets and running around like mad things in the woods came into my mind when I read them. Adorable girl names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Damn! Elsa is popular?

Showing my age now but that's been on my girls list since I saw the film Born Free with Elsa the Lioness.

It's a beauty of a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I really like William but only if it stays at William or Will. Actually I love Will. I would hate the child to be called Willy though. Arragghhh it annoys me already :o

I've been convinced of late that we're having a boy (having spent the first trimester thinking it was a girl) and have really fallen for Simon in a big way.
    Husband not overly keen on it though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Damn! Elsa is popular?

Showing my age now but that's been on my girls list since I saw the film Born Free with Elsa the Lioness.

It's a beauty of a name.

I like Elsa. It makes me think of the character Elsa Schnider in Indiania Jones and the Holy Grail:P I love those Indiania movies though.....showing my age there aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I really like William but only if it stays at William or Will. Actually I love Will. I would hate the child to be called Willy though. Arragghhh it annoys me already :o

I've been convinced of late that we're having a boy (having spent the first trimester thinking it was a girl) and have really fallen for Simon in a big way.

We had the same issue with Will/William. I love it but we live in the country and my husband reckoned that if it was a boy it would definitely end up being called Willy. I floated Simon passed him too and his reasoning for not picking that was 'Simple Simon'. If I was pregnant again I wouldn't even run names passed him. He knocked back sooooo many that by about month 7 we stopped coming up with any. She was named about 3 hours after she was born after some intense internetting and looking at her and trying out different combinations of names in the delivery suite. The midwives were in stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I like Billy as a diminutive of William though....I always have a mental picture of a little cheeky chappy with a name like Billy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My dad always calls him Liam, it's about the only shortened version of it I don't like. My younger sister calls him Wills! My uncles call him Willie, I don't actually mind it when they do it. He's just William to myself and his dad and everyone else for now, I quite like Bill and Billy but William suits him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

MissFire wrote: »
    What are your kids names?

Confusious and Alowishus

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

nc19 wrote: »
    Confusious and Alowishus

And you are spelling them that way? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

And you are spelling them that way? ;)

No. The first one is spelt with a k and 2 silent Ys

nc19 wrote: »
    No. The first one is spelt with a k and 2 silent Ys

silent, and invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ok guys, lets get back to the topic at hand and ignore the troll.

Just came across this name for a female: Auriel/Aurielle. What do people think? I think i might like it...

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Just came across this name for a female: Auriel/Aurielle. What do people think? I think i might like it...

ooh, like the portuguese girl in that film Love Actually? I like it! That's the only place I've hear Aurielle (or was it just something close to Aurielle?)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

My other half really wants Will for a boy but that would give him the same name as a very famous actor, don't think that's good? I also hate to think of it being changed to Willy... We're also thinking of Joe, opinions? He's also thrown in Arthur & Walt

For a girl, I like Erica, Alicia, (he doesn't like it) Ailish (worried about spelling) or Alison. He's convinced its a boy so he doesn't have any names picked! I really love the name Allie but not sure if it's best kept as a nickname...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

My other half really wants Will for a boy but that would give him the same name as a very famous actor, don't think that's good? I also hate to think of it being changed to Willy... We're also thinking of Joe, opinions? He's also thrown in Arthur & Walt

For a girl, I like Erica, Alicia, (he doesn't like it) Ailish (worried about spelling) or Alison. He's convinced its a boy so he doesn't have any names picked! I really love the name Allie but not sure if it's best kept as a nickname...

I love Alison...I would pick Joe from your boy list...How about James as your OH seems to like more traditional names?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

One name I can't stand is Trevor... Due to a personal experience but it sounds like a car to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My dog is called Ali :P

I love the name too!

Allie looks a bit weird spelling wise to me but I've seen it spelt Ally or Aly with the most common being Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love Walt and Arthur. If I am thinking your surname is Smith, those names would be perfect with it. I have also recently become a fan of Frederick (Freddy).
    I know an Ali and it is a really cute name on her. It is just Ali though, it's not short for anything.

ooh, like the portuguese girl in that film Love Actually? I like it! That's the only place I've hear Aurielle (or was it just something close to Aurielle?)

That's what I was thinking... It's rare enough. Hard to find names that aren't on the popular list lately! Lol. The one on love actually I think was called aurelia.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I know an Ali and it is a really cute name on her. It is just Ali though, it's not short for anything.

My SIL's name is Aleena. Everyone calls her Ali for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Colser wrote: »
    I love Alison...I would pick Joe from your boy list...How about James as your OH seems to like more traditional names?

I love James too, its actually my grandfathers name though we never met but other half wasnt keen.
    My dog is called Ali :P

I love the name too!

Allie looks a bit weird spelling wise to me but I've seen it spelt Ally or Aly with the most common being Ali.

Wasnt sure of the spelling myself, Ali would probably be best so, thanks:) Have had to spell my name for people for year even though I have a common enough name so should probably try get this right!
    ElleEm wrote: »
    I love Walt and Arthur. If I am thinking your surname is Smith, those names would be perfect with it. I have also recently become a fan of Frederick (Freddy).

Spot on ElleEm:) Its my favourite for a girl, but do you think Ali as a name would grow ok into adulthood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love James too, its actually my grandfathers name though we never met but other half wasnt keen.

Wasnt sure of the spelling myself, Ali would probably be best so, thanks:) Have had to spell my name for people for year even though I have a common enough name so should probably try get this right!

Spot on ElleEm:) Its my favourite for a girl, but do you think Ali as a name would grow ok into adulthood?

Arthur Smith sounds like a famous author or something.

I wondered about the transition of Ali but I have known her since she was a baby and she is about 11 now and it is growing with her. I know two Allysons (mother and daughter) and the daughter has been Ally since she was a child. She must be 40 now but again it just suits her.

Advertisement