Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi, its a beautiful name. I lived with a girl in college with the same name and spelling (she pronounced it Neel-ah also). She was Irish and said it was the feminine of Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

No idea how it was spelt but I once knew an Iranian girl whose name was pronounced exactly like that. So maybe it's Persian? I've never come across it as an Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

What do people think of Leon? I got drawn to it a few weeks back but I'm not sure. Mentioned it to daddy this morning and he likes it. We don't know anyone with the name.

I think it's strong (lion!) and also the name of one of my favourite movies (yep I'd like to name a child after a hit man lol)

My other son is called Eric and I think they would go well together.

Of course I don't know if it's a boy yet but it was a panic picking the name last time.

(And would people associate with the Seat car?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Karmella wrote: »
    What do people think of Leon? I got drawn to it a few weeks back but I'm not sure. Mentioned it to daddy this morning and he likes it. We don't know anyone with the name.

I think it's strong (lion!) and also the name of one of my favourite movies (yep I'd like to name a child after a hit man lol)

Of course I don't know if it's a boy yet but it was a panic picking the name last time.

There's a Leon in my son's class, it's nice and I don't associate it with a Seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I like the name Leon, I wouldn't associate it with the car. You could go with Leo if you were worried about that? Both go beautifully with Eric.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I definitely wouldn't associate it with the car. I think it's a great name. I've only ever met one Leon. I like that it's uncommon, but without being too "out there."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is a lovely name and did not think of the car at all .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

there are some really awful names being banded around here

your poor children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I like leon. Again never even thought of the car. But did think of kings of Leon. But that wouldnt put me off the name tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

nc19 wrote: »

your poor children

What are your kids names?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I think Leon and Eric go well. I didn't think of the car but then I always pronounce the car the French way, as in Lay-on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I love Leon. It's a lovely name people will know how to pronounce, no confusion over spelling but yet unique via it's not heard that much .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think Leon and Eric go well. I didn't think of the car but then I always pronounce the car the French way, as in Lay-on!

There not a French car ;)

But yea I wouldn't have associated it with the car until it was mentioned. Nice name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a cousin named Leon, lovely name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Neala and Leon both get thumbs up from me. Easy to spell, easy to say.

Neala may spend her life telling people not to spell her name as 'Neela' unless of course you just spell it that way to begin with (like character on ER)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

nc19 wrote: »

your poor children

Please do not post here if you are not going to contribute in a productive way .
    Consider this a warning .

Ok! cool, I didn't think Leon would get such a warm reception :-)
    Leo would be nice too...

I'm thinking now of Elsa for a girl ...

I had fixed on Amelie last time round but I don't know if I like it anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

How about Amelia instead of Amelie? Or maybe Esme?

I guess Emma is my favourite girls name, and Emily a close second - but both are really high up on the popularity lists (think Emily is no. 1 at the mo). 4 years ago we both really liked the movie Amelie so thought that would be 'different' enough. But somewhere along the way I've just been turned off it completely.

I do like Amelia aswell - think it sounds better. But the surname is three syllables so would prefer something shorter.

Not a bit picky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Ok! cool, I didn't think Leon would get such a warm reception :-)
    Leo would be nice too...

I'm thinking now of Elsa for a girl ...

I had fixed on Amelie last time round but I don't know if I like it anymore...

My niece is Elsa and it's a real grower. I wasn't sure at first but she is 2 now and I love it lol I think it helps that she is such a cool little lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

The only thing with Elsa is after frozen it is having a big surge in popularity just so you are aware, as you said popularity is why you aren't choosing Emma.

bstar wrote: »
    The only thing with Elsa is after frozen it is having a big surge in popularity just so you are aware, as you said popularity is why you aren't choosing Emma.

Hah that's funny - I haven't even seen Frozen so wouldn't have thought of that!! Doh!

Maybe that's why it was coming into my radar though.

oh well. back to the drawing board! thanks for pointing that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Amelia is fab but like Emma is popular .
    Elsa is lovely but might get more popular as said .
    I'm loving Elodie lately and my daughter is always playing games falling to Princess Alexia and now I love alexia too. Maisie is fab .

Leon is a gorgeous name

I loved Neela in er and think its a pretty name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Eloise is lovely,really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think Amelie is lovely but I think if people see it written down they'll think it's Amelia and if they are hearing it they'll think it's Emily! Would worry it's more trouble than it's worth! Amelia is lovely but also very high up the popularity list. I think Elsa is totally gorgeous... Love it! Works beautifully with Eric. I haven't seen Frozen either though so not sure how popular it's likely to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Amelie is gorgeous, my husband was rooting for Emilia and we couldn't agree so both were vetoed :D

Leon is a fab name btw, so strong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

John Mason wrote: »
    love Martha, Mabel and Maud

i love, love, love Mabel but he thinks its horrible

I know someone who named their baby Maud recently after their mother and apparently the nurses in the hospital were saying it was years and years since there had been a baby named Maud born there.

This was in CUH in Cork which averages 25 babies a day, so I would say it is likely that Maud would be a super super rare name.

Martha I like Mabel I'm not so keen on.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Count me in as another vote for Leon - love the movie, would never associate it with the car.

Also think it goes well with Eric.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I really like Mabel - taking that for my list! Did love Leon but I know someone with the name and they've put me right off it as they're not the nicest Leon in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really love Amelie. Elsa is nice but it'll surge in popularity this year because of Frozen.

If I'm being very honest I don't love Leon but its a perfectly good name, its not a bad name and it doesn't have any bad points per se, its just not to my personal taste. Sorry!

Heard of a baby girl named Lacie recently, thoughts? I'm not a fan at all!

Advertisement