Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Absolutely love Amelia with Minnie or Millie as a pet name.

Our little girl is Eleanor and we call her Ellie.

I think Eleanor and Amelia sit well together. Dont really have any other girls names in mind.

Henry, Theodore, Odin & Joseph are possibles for a boy.
    I think Amelia is such a pretty name, it goes beautifully with Eleanor as do all your boys names. Never heard Odin before, is it a gaelic name?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

ncmc wrote: »
    I think Amelia is such a pretty name, it goes beautifully with Eleanor as do all your boys names. Never heard Odin before, is it a gaelic name?

Odin is Scandinavian a god of Norse mythology watch the films Thor ;). Nice name though :).

We're still stuck on Mia, Chloe and Ayla has now been stuck on the shortlist. I'm liking Ayla at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Odin is Scandinavian a god of Norse mythology watch the films Thor ;). Nice name though :).

We're still stuck on Mia, Chloe and Ayla has now been stuck on the shortlist. I'm liking Ayla at the moment.

I vote for Ayla...but I am biased towards Turkish nsmes!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Odin is a norse god name. Met a guy a few years back wuth the name and it just stuck in my head. It's also Thor's father's name for fans of the comic :)

Love Chloe and Mia. How do you pronounce Ayla?

dizzymiss wrote: »
    How do you pronounce Ayla?

Same as Scottish name Isla - phonetically it would be aye-la

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Same as Scottish name Isla - phonetically it would be aye-la

I was looking this up myself the dominant belief is as you said Isla but there are also a lot who pronounce it Ay-La which I'd imagine is a more American way of pronouncing it.

I was looking this up myself the dominant belief is as you said Isla but there are also a lot who pronounce it Ay-La which I'd imagine is a more American way of pronouncing it.

Correct turkish pronunciation is definitely same as Isla rather than a hard 'ay'.

but then again the Americans f-up tge pronunciation of a lot of beautiful names. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ruksy07

Would love a bit of help on this one. We have decided on Kyle for a boy, however my hubby lost a friend he hadn't seen for a long time a few months ago. Kyle was his surname.

My hubby wants to spell it differently because they weren't close enuf to be naming a child after him and more importantly we are already dedicating this baby's second name to my brother whom we lost tragically ourselves.

Looking for a variation on the spelling thats not too off the wall. I like Ciall ( means wisdom in irish) but does anyone know if this is pronounced the same as Kyle. Also do you think it would match well with his not so big sister Roisa?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

The Irish word meaning wisdom is most definitely pronounced Keel but that's with a fada on the I. If you don't use the fada its pronounced KY-AL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Gray. On yeaaaah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Anne2014 wrote: »
    The Irish word meaning wisdom is most definitely pronounced Keel but that's with a fada on the I. If you don't use the fada its pronounced KY-AL

It doesn't matter about the fada, the word ciall is pronounced 'keel' There are very few "eye-al" sounds in Irish, the name Niall being one of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It doesn't matter about the fada, the word ciall is pronounced 'keel' There are very few "eye-al" sounds in Irish, the name Niall being one of them.

It's still pronounced 'neel' as Gaeilge.

:)

Another top tip in naming, is to google the name with your last name to make sure there are no weird associations.

One of my sons shares his name with an artist (a really good one IMO), and the number of people who've mentioned this to us since he was born is amazing. He wouldn't be a renowned artist, so they clearly googled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I like Amelia, maisy, Courtney.. I actually don't have many girls names picked out.
    I'm scared I'll be overcome with emotion and let him name the baby something awful !! Haha

I love Maisy (I'd spell it Maisie) I'm kind of sorry I did not use it for my daughter.

Amelia is fab too .

Das Kitty wrote: »

Another top tip in naming, is to google the name with your last name to make sure there are no weird associations.

One of my sons shares his name with an artist (a really good one IMO), and the number of people who've mentioned this to us since he was born is amazing. He wouldn't be a renowned artist, so they clearly googled.

I was waiting for someone to say 'what about Niall?' you're right on the Irish pronunciation
    Ruksy07 wrote: »
    Looking for a variation on the spelling thats not too off the wall. I like Ciall ( means wisdom in irish) but does anyone know if this is pronounced the same as Kyle. Also do you think it would match well with his not so big sister Roisa?

You could match them by having the same first letter. Roisa is an unusual one, how is it pronounced?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Right I'm going to add my names. I'm not pregnant now but hoping to have another. I have a little boy already and the names are mostly boys names as I can't really think of too many girls names that I like.

Boys: Malcom, Walter, Arthur, Eliot, Sebastian
    Girls: Cora

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

I really wanna do this but I'm too scared at same time.. I've picked a name and I like it now.. I've never heard of any serial killers in the news with the name so I'm hoping for the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ruksy07 wrote: »
    Would love a bit of help on this one. We have decided on Kyle for a boy, however my hubby lost a friend he hadn't seen for a long time a few months ago. Kyle was his surname.

My hubby wants to spell it differently because they weren't close enuf to be naming a child after him and more importantly we are already dedicating this baby's second name to my brother whom we lost tragically ourselves.

I'm sorry for your husbands loss. Regardless of how you spell it, it'll still sound the same when said out loud so in my opinion there's no point changing the spelling. You'll be saying his name far more often than you'll be writing it so coming up with a new spelling is just going to be a headache for you in the long run, having to say "his name is Kyle but we spell it _ _ _ _" any time someone asks. If its too close to home with the normal spelling, maybe using it isn't such a good idea.

Kyle and Roisa are lovely names separately but I'm not sure about them together. Roisa sounds authentically classic Irish with a lot of history, and Kyle sounds very modern and American-y next to it. Not that that's a bad thing! They just aren't the same style at all.

Good luck choosing, hope you can decide on something that makes all of you happy x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Right I'm going to add my names. I'm not pregnant now but hoping to have another. I have a little boy already and the names are mostly boys names as I can't really think of too many girls names that I like.

Boys: Malcom, Walter, Arthur, Eliot, Sebastian
    Girls: Cora

I absolutely love Sebastian. My husband has totally vetoed it.
    In fact he hates it so much he thought I was messing when I suggested it first.
    No hope of getting him to agree to it if our baby turns out to be a boy.
    We both liked Elliot too but were thinking of giving it to a baby girl. Then we thought that too many people would think we did it because of the doctor in Scrubs so it got binned. :(
    We're finding it much easier to come up with girl names that we like. Boy names are proving very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I loved Elliot too penny, but the fact that it could be considered unisex turned me off a bit. Though I think most would think it a boys name primarily. My mums reaction when I suggested it was enough to kill it off altogether! That's why I'm keeping quiet on my names from now on. I liked Sebastian too, but like you my husband thought I was messing!

I loved Elliot too penny, but the fact that it could be considered unisex turned me off a bit. Though I think most would think it a boys name primarily. My mums reaction when I suggested it was enough to kill it off altogether! That's why I'm keeping quiet on my names from now on. I liked Sebastian too, but like you my husband thought I was messing![/QUOTE]

No taste (other than when they married us;)) have they:p.

We agreed not to tell anyone our choices- if we get pressurised to give something we agreed to pick two really obscure names and tell people that was what we're going to call the baby. Its a bit bold but really its no one elses business what we call the baby. Once its been given a name people won't (well most people won't) say "ohh I hate that".
    In my husbands family they are so lacking in imagination with their name choices (IMHO- others may think its lovely). Any of his cousins who've had children have called them after the baby's grandfather/grandmother and so the children are all called either James, Tom or John and the girls Catherine/Katie/Kate. They're all nice names but I just think its so boring to do that.
    Last weekend we were asked if we had any names picked and I said we've decided on what we won't be calling it and the above names were out. People weren't happy but they'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I absolutely love Sebastian. My husband has totally vetoed it.
    In fact he hates it so much he thought I was messing when I suggested it first.
    No hope of getting him to agree to it if our baby turns out to be a boy.

its the opposite in this house, he absolutely loves Sebastian and i detest it. he wanted to shorten it to Seb - horrendous :D

Due date is Saturday and we have no names whatsoever. we cant agree on anything. he likes all this horrible modern american names, and i like old fashioned turn of the century names.

we went through his family tree on the 1901/1911 census but it appears his family have no imagination, all his relations are still using the census names now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

If we ever have another boy I'm pretty sure he's gonna be a Sebastian! Husband loves it and I think it's nice aswell. I didnt realise it had become so popular tho! Seems like a lot of people are considering the name lately.

I put my two into Facebook - I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it confirmed that my wee girl's name is unique!
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Kyle and Roisa are lovely names separately but I'm not sure about them together. Roisa sounds authentically classic Irish with a lot of history, and Kyle sounds very modern and American-y next to it. Not that that's a bad thing! They just aren't the same style at all.

I'd agree that spelling the name differently isn't going to disassociate it, it might be wiser to go with an alternative if you're worried.

I didn't cop that Roisa was Irish! If you're trying to match them, a name like Caolan would be lovely, you could use its anglicisation - Keelan.

John Mason wrote: »
    its the opposite in this house, he absolutely loves Sebastian and i detest it. he wanted to shorten it to Seb - horrendous :D

Due date is Saturday and we have no names whatsoever. we cant agree on anything. he likes all this horrible modern american names, and i like old fashioned turn of the century names.

we went through his family tree on the 1901/1911 census but it appears his family have no imagination, all his relations are still using the census names now.

That's another great idea. If we ever go again, I have found a perfect girl's name in the census when I was researching the other half's family.

A lot of those turn of the century names are now quite modern e.g. Emily, James, so maybe ye can compromise.

Classic books are another great source of names, even the authors can provide inspiration - the Brontes for example, though I would steer clear of Heathcliff! I know a girl whose kids are Byron, Dylan and Elliot.

My girl names are:
    Emily (one we both agree on)
    Lilly (one we both agree on)
    Penny (I like, husband not so sure)
    Zoe (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Naomi (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Olivia ( I really like it, husband not so sure, also a few people he works with called their daughters that).

My boy names are:
    Sebastian (I love it, husband hates it with a passion)
    Simon ( I like it, husband not so sure)
    Will (we both agree on)
    Matthew (I like it but it has to stay at Matthew, no Matt, Matty, etc- husband feels will get shortened regardless).
    Toby (I like, husband not so sure).
    Eli (I really like, husband feels calling child after Eli in the Good Wife).
    Sam (we both like but I really feel every second boy is called this now)
    Ben (we both like but the boys that aren't called Sam are called Ben).
    Alex ( I like, husband a bit "meh" with it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My girl names are:
    Emily (one we both agree on)
    Lilly (one we both agree on)
    Penny (I like, husband not so sure)
    Zoe (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Naomi (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Olivia ( I really like it, husband not so sure, also a few people he works with called their daughters that).

My boy names are:
    Will (we both agree on)
    Matthew (I like it but it has to stay at Matthew, no Matt, Matty, etc- husband feels will get shortened regardless).

Good taste in names penny! We have a Lilly. And in the future might have a Sebastian if we are fortunate.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Good taste in names penny! We have a Lilly. And in the future might have a Sebastian if we are fortunate.

Thank you:)
    I'm hoping to hit on a name that we both like and is nice on a small child but also works for an adult.
    I googled unusual baby names for a laugh and OMG some of the things people call their children:eek:
    The following names featured:
    Blip
    Chevy
    Flower
    Huxley
    Zona
    Ajax
    Bright
    Dragos
    Hurricane
    Thirdy
    Yash

I gave up then because I was feeling very sorry for a whole lot of children I don't know:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My boy names are:
    Will (we both agree on)

LOL! we had Eli picked long before getting round to watching the Good Wife. We actually really liked the character so it enhanced the name for us! I think the Good Wife is over so long, people wont remember the characters much now.
    Short cute names for boys is very 'fashionable' at the moment. One of the few names I hate is Sebastian, double the hate for Seb. Seems to be one of those Love/Hate names!

LOL! we had Eli picked long before getting round to watching the Good Wife. We actually really liked the character so it enhanced the name for us! I think the Good Wife is over so long, people wont remember the characters much now.
    Short cute names for boys is very 'fashionable' at the moment. One of the few names I hate is Sebastian, double the hate for Seb. Seems to be one of those Love/Hate names!

Like Nidge:D

We both really like to watch the Good Wife and both think the character of Eli is great.
    I think if we both like the name, it works with the surname, then we should just for it. People might ask if we've called the baby after Eli and while we're not there are worse people he could take after. Eli is funny, clever, successful and gets where he needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Actually, I probably shouldnt be encouraging people to name their newborns after my son! Want to keep it rare LOL!

Eli is a terrible name.....:D

Advertisement