Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

People of a certain age probably think Moya is irish thanks to Moya Doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

People of a certain age probably think Moya is irish thanks to Moya Doherty.

Where is it from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

And Moya Brennan.

It's of Norwegian origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Addle wrote: »
    And Moya Brennan.

Really? I always thought it was a version of Maire. And I was basing it off those two Moyas. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It can be both!
    http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Moya
    Lovely name by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've an aunt Maureen who we all call Moya it was her pet name growing up never put much thought to it or where it's from

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Addle wrote: »
    And Moya Brennan.

It is also a Donegal name based on their pronunciation of Maire. The accent managed to create its own names!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

It is also a Donegal name based on their pronunciation of Maire. The accent managed to create its own names!

Ah so there is something in the Donegal origin then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's an anglicisation of the Donegal pronunciation of Máire. Everywhere else it's pronounced "maw-ra" or "moy-ra", but it's "moya" in Donegal.

"Moia" would probably cause problems with people thinking the first half was French, giving "mwah-a" or "mo-ee-ah." "oia" is not a combination of vowels you'd often see in English or Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Both lovely names as well just not so sure they go well with my own second name though which always has to be thought about :)

why not? i think Moya McFly has a ring to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Just cannot agree on any girls names at all. Partner likes old fashioned names like Helen and Joan.. While I like more modern names.. Baby Joan ?? No offence to any baby Joan's or Helens but god nooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I like Helen... not Joan though :eek:

What names do you like.

January wrote: »
    I like Helen... not Joan though :eek:

What names do you like.

I like Amelia, maisy, Courtney.. I actually don't have many girls names picked out.
    I'm scared I'll be overcome with emotion and let him name the baby something awful !! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mariahoa80

My fav name for girl is Molly. For boy may be Michael or David. ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I like Amelia, maisy, Courtney.. I actually don't have many girls names picked out.
    I'm scared I'll be overcome with emotion and let him name the baby something awful !! Haha

I let himself name number 2 and he didn't do a bad job :p

I love Amelia!

January wrote: »
    I let himself name number 2 and he didn't do a bad job :p

I love Amelia!

I really like Amelia but he says it's like jamelia from the voice of Ireland. Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

We both love Mia or Grace for a girl.
    We are battling big time on boy names, I can't see us ever agreeing on one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Amelia is lovely:)
    Joan is an old womans name but interesting etymology.

Isolt wrote: »
    We both love Mia or Grace for a girl.
    We are battling big time on boy names, I can't see us ever agreeing on one!

We have agreed on a boys name.. Now I'm convinced I'm having a boy and can't imagine a girl at all lol! I'll prob get a shock in a few weeks time !!

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    We have agreed on a boys name.. Now I'm convinced I'm having a boy and can't imagine a girl at all lol! I'll prob get a shock in a few weeks time !!

Hahaha that's gas - we've agreed on girls names and I'm convinced I'm having a girl! We're having our anomoly scan in a few weeks but I don't want to find out the gender so I'll have to wait a while yet before knowing if my gut feeling is right.

A few weeks time? You must be due very soon then, exciting!!! :D

• Advertisement

Hahaha that's gas - we've agreed on girls names and I'm convinced I'm having a girl! We're having our anomoly scan in a few weeks but I don't want to find out the gender so I'll have to wait a while yet before knowing if my gut feeling is right.

A few weeks time? You must be due very soon then, exciting!!! :D

I'm due in 7 weeks so not too long left! We didn't find out the gender either. I think it's stopped me from going crazy spending hundreds buying pink or blue outfits hehe!

Oh my God, 7 weeks! That seems like it's ages away for me. I can't wait til I can say I'm 7 weeks away from my due date :D
    Best of luck with everything, I'll be keeping an eye out for the baby's gender and the name you chose!

Oh my God, 7 weeks! That seems like it's ages away for me. I can't wait til I can say I'm 7 weeks away from my due date :D
    Best of luck with everything, I'll be keeping an eye out for the baby's gender and the name you chose!

Thanks best of luck with your scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was set on a girls name first time and convinced it was a girl then out popped a boy. Now I'm due in 4 days it's a girl and I get to use the first name we picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

We're all convinced that I'm having a boy and haven't put a huge amount of thought into girls name.. I heard a boy's name recently and told OH, we've both fell in love with it.. Now I'M TERRIFIED I'm going to hear some kinda weirdo or serial killer with that name and it'll ruin it lol.. We've both decided not to tell anyone the names cause everyone seems to have an opinion (especially our two mothers, one who has already given child a name and has been calling it it for past few months to my annoyance).. We're going to get some land when it turns out to be a girl!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

MissFire wrote: »
    We're all convinced that I'm having a boy and haven't put a huge amount of thought into girls name.. I heard a boy's name recently and told OH, we've both fell in love with it.. Now I'M TERRIFIED I'm going to hear some kinda weirdo or serial killer with that name and it'll ruin it lol.. We've both decided not to tell anyone the names cause everyone seems to have an opinion (especially our two mothers, one who has already given child a name and has been calling it it for past few months to my annoyance).. We're going to get some land when it turns out to be a girl!!!
    I'm the same, I think we have names picked finally, It's Christine for a girl and Euan for a boy, but I'm not telling anybody because we've been turned off names before by peoples reactions. I think Euan could be a divisive one as well, so keeping schtum and sure when they see a beautiful boy with that name, everyone will love it! My hubby and I aren't even talking about it anymore in case we go off them! Just decided not to think about it any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm the same, I think we have names picked finally, It's Christine for a girl and Euan for a boy, but I'm not telling anybody because we've been turned off names before by peoples reactions. I think Euan could be a divisive one as well, so keeping schtum and sure when they see a beautiful boy with that name, everyone will love it! My hubby and I aren't even talking about it anymore in case we go off them! Just decided not to think about it any more!

Both lovely names

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 3 year old is telling everyone that bump is called Rose , she is not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Absolutely love Amelia with Minnie or Millie as a pet name.

Our little girl is Eleanor and we call her Ellie.

I think Eleanor and Amelia sit well together. Dont really have any other girls names in mind.

Henry, Theodore, Odin & Joseph are possibles for a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Absolutely love Amelia with Minnie or Millie as a pet name.

Our little girl is Eleanor and we call her Ellie.

I think Eleanor and Amelia sit well together. Dont really have any other girls names in mind.

Henry, Theodore, Odin & Joseph are possibles for a boy.

my friends little one is Emilia (traditional latin spelling over the french/german version of Amelia). Her little sister calls her Mimi which is just adorable.

Advertisement