Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Zoe and Olivia both are timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm starting to like the name Euan for a boy, but not sure about the spelling. Would Ewan be more accessible for people to spell? But I think I prefer it spelt Euan which I believe is the more traditional spelling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My cousin spells it Euan. Lovely name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ewan is probably more recognisable because of ewan mcgregor... But both are nice. Is it a version of owen/eoghan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I like Imogen not one I would have thought of before.

I love Imogen, it was on my list for our first.

I also love Grace, Cara, and Evie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I hope I don't offend/frighten anyone who is pregnant, but I'm wondering something and my OH and I are torn on whether its appropriate or not.

We had a stillborn daughter a couple of years back named Maisy. She was born so early that we hadn't really talked about names too much before she arrived so she was named on a whim really. I'd like to use either Maya or May as a middle name if we have another daughter in memory of her big sister.

Is this very morbid/inappropriate? I think its sweet and subtle (not like we'd use any of those as a first name) but my OH thinks its a terrible idea and would seem like either we're trying to replace Maisy, and that a future daughter should have her own name and not one tied to her sister.

I'm not pregnant so this is all hypothetical, I just don't know how it'd be received by other people x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I hope I don't offend/frighten anyone who is pregnant, but I'm wondering something and my OH and I are torn on whether its appropriate or not.

We had a stillborn daughter a couple of years back named Maisy. She was born so early that we hadn't really talked about names too much before she arrived so she was named on a whim really. I'd like to use either Maya or May as a middle name if we have another daughter in memory of her big sister.

Is this very morbid/inappropriate? I think its sweet and subtle (not like we'd use any of those as a first name) but my OH thinks its a terrible idea and would seem like either we're trying to replace Maisy, and that a future daughter should have her own name and not one tied to her sister.

I'm not pregnant so this is all hypothetical, I just don't know how it'd be received by other people x

People are given middle names that are of relatives who have passed on all the time. I think it's a lovely way of remembering your other daughter and don't think it's morbid or inappropriate at all, but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Middle names are so rarely used and even less rarely explained, so who'll ever know?
    Go for it.
    Best wishes.

I'm sorry for your loss whiteroses, I think it's a lovely way to commemorate your baby and not at all morbid. As January said, a lot of middle names are chosen to remember relatives or loved ones who have passed, so I would see this no differently.

In fact May or Maya are fairly different to Maisy so I think a lot of people wouldn't even pick up on it. It's something you and your partner (and your daughter when she's old enough) can have as a little private reminder.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My Aunt did exactly that White Roses and everyone loved it. It's a lovely way of keeping the memory in the family and my cousins (the siblings of the baby who died) all know who their sister is. There's nothing morbid
    about it. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that that is a lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I think it would be a lovely tribute. My stepdaughters middle name is after her cousin who was stillborn. A nice way to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

No its Welsh. Definitely not turkish male name. Theres a turkish girls name sirin (shirr-in) but not Seren. Theres a male Turkish name Sercan (ser-jan). Could you be thinking of that?

sorry but there is a girl name " Seren " in turkish.. Search google or facebook for
    Seren Serengil , she used to be a singer and model.

Seren Yüce . Seren Fosforuğlu

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

newbie13 wrote: »
    sorry but there is a girl name " Seren " in turkish.. Search google or facebook for
    Seren Serengil , she used to be a singer and model.

Seren Yüce . Seren Fosforuğlu

My bad....but its very very rare, you wouldn't hear it in many school yards. A quick poll of my turkish family and the belief is that its not a Turkic name, possibly of another origin. Definitely not a male name though which is what my reply was in refernce to.

pwurple wrote: »
    Ewan is probably more recognisable because of ewan mcgregor... But both are nice. Is it a version of owen/eoghan?
    Yes I think it is the Welsh version of Eoghan with Euan being the more traditional spelling and Ewan being the more anglicised spelling. I think I prefer the former, the way I look at it, it’s not that hard to pronounce/spell and if he was really have an issue with it when he gets older, he could always change the way he spells it day to day! I like that it’s simple yet not too common. Going to try and not think about it anymore, because it’s happened before that I’ve loved names and gone off them because I’ve over thought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

My bad....but its very very rare, you wouldn't hear it in many school yards. A quick poll of my turkish family and the belief is that its not a Turkic name, possibly of another origin. Definitely not a male name though which is what my reply was in refernce to.

No it is not a boy name. Are you looking for a boy or a girl name ?

I suggest you a girl name : Hira ---> name of holy cave in Sauudi Arabia where Prophet went in for his seclusion .

" "" boy name : Akın Han --->Really old Asian Turks Conqueror

by the way I am Turkish too.

newbie13 wrote: »
    No it is not a boy name. Are you looking for a boy or a girl name ?

I suggest you a girl name : Hira ---> name of holy cave in Sauudi Arabia where Prophet went in for his seclusion .

" "" boy name : Akın Han --->Really old Asian Turks Conqueror

by the way I am Turkish too.

Not looking for any names anymore - my two girls are 4 months so won't be changing their names now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Another name popped up tonight onto the radar in the form of....

Mia which I quite like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Mia which I quite like.

Moya is another lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Mia which I quite like.

Mia is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think it's a lovely tribute. As already said no one else need know unless you tell them.
    Coincidently I know 2 men, adults now, who are named after their father. They both also had an older brother of the same name who died as very young babies. I don't think I could use the same first name but I don't see any issue with using a middle name.

Best wishes to you

Mia which I quite like.

Lovely name although very popular in recent years. Not a bad thing, but just to be aware in case you wanted something usual.

Another variation is Maya which I also like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

sopretty wrote: »
    Moya is another lovely name.
    Lovely name although very popular in recent years. Not s bad thing, but just to be aware in case you wanted something in usual.

Another variation is Maya which I also like.

Both lovely names as well just not so sure they go well with my own second name though which always has to be thought about :)

Cheers didn't realise it was so popular in recent years. Still like it though.

Picking names is no easy task.

Depending on the nationality Maya , Maia and Mia are all popular at the moment and are lovely names .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Depending on the nationality Maya , Maia and Mia are all popular at the moment and are lovely names .

Moya is Irish though. I'd be stubborn though and spell it me own way! I.e. Moia. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Moya is Irish though. I'd be stubborn though and spell it me own way! I.e. Moia. :D

I don't think Moya is Irish though? There's no y in the Irish language?

Open to correction on that.

It's a lovely name, that would be my preferred spelling too.

I don't think Moya is Irish though? There's no y in the Irish language?

Open to correction on that.

It's a lovely name, that would be my preferred spelling too.

Bejaysus you're correct! I wonder where it originates from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Bejaysus you're correct! I wonder where it originates from then?

I think it is an anglicized version of Maire (irish for mary, can't do fadas here). I've a feeling it is a Donegal name.

Sure Donegal is in Ireland! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Sure Donegal is in Ireland! :pac:
    Lol! the only Moyas I know are from Donegal :)

Advertisement