Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sorry but everyone won't think that. Maybe they don't live in Dublin? A lot of us don't. Where I'm from that name is totally reasonable (it was my first boyfriend's name and it wouldn't have occurred to any of us teenagers to mock his name), the only way that name is known where I'm from is because of a famous footballer with it. I don't even know what you're talking about re the radio station, a random Dub radio station that isn't even received in my area and a slot they have on it wouldn't affect my choice of a name. It's just a shorter version of Pàdraig.

Fair enough...just hope the kid never wants to work in Dublin when he's older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Fair enough...just hope the kid never wants to work in Dublin when he's older!

What is the link with the name and Dublin? I am so confused! I have lived here my whole life and have never met anyone called Páidí.

ElleEm wrote: »
    What is the link with the name and Dublin? I am so confused! I have lived here my whole life and have never met anyone called Páudí.

Let's just say there are a fair number of paudies/paudge/paudgies in the joy! It tends to be a diminutive of padraig popular in a lot of the less desirable areas of Dublin. In my old job I used to work in the Training Unit in Mountjoy and there were a lot of paudies came through the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm sorry but that's crap. I have never associated that name with the lower elements of Dublin life. Born and raised here and went to school with a lot of people who would be less than desirable and never once came across it.

If anything pop culture names like Rihanna would be the kind of name to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I have to say I don't think Paidi=skanger!! It's the very last thing that would come to mind. Now if it's Damo,Jayo etc I would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Páidí is very much a country name where I'm from. My nephew Padraig has pretty much pretty been called it since birth. I've worked a lot with kids from disadvantaged areas and kids with troubled backgrounds and never come across it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I wonder if it was men of a certain age. I would have worked with a lot of young lads who were en route to a life in St. Pats/ Mountjoy etc. but never once met a Páidí.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Every Podge I have ever heard of is named Patrick, not Paudi, Paudi is short for Padraig in my understanding, I lived in West Kerry, Cork, Clare, Galway and am now in a rough part of Dublin and I can honestly say, if you asked the people here what they thought of the name Paudi, I can guarantee I would get "Ah, easy knowing you're from the country with a name like that".

I think it is a lovely name. I can see a toddler, child, teen, young adult and older man with the name Paudi and it suiting him every step of the way. As for the fada's, sure people forget them and other sort of marking in different languages, big whoop. I get asked how to spell my daughter's name, no big deal.

I'm sorry but that's crap. I have never associated that name with the lower elements of Dublin life. Born and raised here and went to school with a lot of people who would be less than desirable and never once came across it.

If anything pop culture names like Rihanna would be the kind of name to avoid.

In my experience its not crap. I have direct experience if it myself. At one point there were about 5 paudies on the wing so they were distinguished by 'big Paudie' 'paudie p', 'paudie mac' etc. I am also born and bred in north inner city dublin and its a fairly common nickname in most larger families where there is a padraig and maybe dad or uncles also called padraig. I know of at least 6 off the top of my head. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine. I hear paudie (paidi) I think skanger. Skanger or old country name regardless I still think it's sn affliction of a name either way.

Rihanna's and tyrones etc tend to be a younger phenomenon. Having said that I know of 2 Rihanna and 1 rihannon all over the age of 30. Its a very common welsh name.

In my experience its not crap. I have direct experience if it myself. At one point there were about 5 paudies on the wing so they were distinguished by 'big Paudie' 'paudie p', 'paudie mac' etc. I am also born and bred in north inner city dublin and its a fairly common nickname in most larger families where there is a padraig and maybe dad or uncles also called padraig. I know of at least 6 off the top of my head. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine. I hear paudie (paidi) I think skanger. Skanger or old country name regardless I still think it's sn affliction of a name either way.

Rihanna's and tyrones etc tend to be a younger phenomenon. Having said that I know of 2 Rihanna and 1 rihannon all over the age of 30. Its a very common welsh name.

That you are its boards it all about opinions ;). I just don't agree with your on the name Paidi :).

Oh I know its a younger phenomenon that's exactly why I said pop culture names tend to be the ones to avoid was just using Rihanna as an example.

I work with someone who has a teenage daughter called Rihanna and he now hates the singer because everywhere he goes he hears Riiihaannnnnaaaaaa in a nice strong Dublin accent :pac:.

We can't foretell the future but ones that predominant now would be best avoided imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

on an android phone hold down the letter and choices of accented letters will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Do you realise that in certain parts of Dublin a special class of 'character' is often called Paudie/Paudgie. Have a listen to FM104 (dublin station) if you want to know what I mean. Paudie's TV guide! Seriously do not inflict that abomination of a name on a child! Regardless of how you choose to spell it! Trust me, with a name like that the placement of fada will be the least of his worries! Everyone will think he's a light fingered skanger!

As long as Paidi stays out of those 'certain parts of Dublin' he'll be grand, then.

Let's just say there are a fair number of paudies/paudge/paudgies in the joy! It tends to be a diminutive of padraig popular in a lot of the less desirable areas of Dublin. In my old job I used to work in the Training Unit in Mountjoy and there were a lot of paudies came through the doors.

I'm sure the Joy isn't high on most parents' lists of places they hope their son will end up wink.png

You'll get this kind of thing everywhere. A really 'low-life' girls name where I'm from (kind of a bad joke) is a 'nice' name in 'nice' Dublin, my previous boss's wife was called it and I couldn't take to it for ages. Very childish of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not a huge fan of Paidi but its a perfectly good name that would serve any boy, teen, man and gentleman well in life. My only thought would be to use it as a nickname for Padraig to give him more options when he's older ie. he could be Padraig at work and Paidi at home with the family, if you know what I mean. Its not exactly my cup of tea but its a good name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

You'll get this kind of thing everywhere. A really 'low-life' girls name where I'm from (kind of a bad joke) is a 'nice' name in 'nice' Dublin, my previous boss's wife was called it and I couldn't take to it for ages. Very childish of me!

I'm dying to know what name that is now!

I'm sure the Joy isn't high on most parents' lists of places they hope their son will end up wink.png
    eh yeah, you're kind of missing the point there.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I loved the name Rhiannon.. Until the singer rhianna came along! She wrecked it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I'm dying to know what name that is now!

Ah, that'd be telling ;)

In my previous workplace before that, we had a mini christmas tree that was so covered in tinsel and decorations that one of the lads decided it looked like a girl with tons of cheap crappy goldy jewelry and so the christmas tree was named THAT name, said in full accent. That was all I could think of every time I met my boss's wife, sniggering like a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Of all the reasons to not choose a name. "We loved the name, but I had a certain phone, it couldn't do fada's so we decided not to bother with it" Most people will know Paidi when they see it in Ireland.

Any phone can do fadas you just hold down the letter and pick which accent you want on it

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I loved the name Rhiannon.. Until the singer rhianna came along! She wrecked it for me!

I love the name too after Fleetwood Mac song but OH was not of same opinion, in the end it didnt matter as just had a little boy and called him Leon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is this some sort of April Fools......

In the 'less desirable parts of Dublin'.....where the kids end up in the 'Joy.......well go on, which parts of Dublin would they be?

Have a look at the baby names list over the past twenty years. Padraig is nowhere near the top 50 names. So its not like its a popular name in any part of Dublin, desirable or otherwise, and hasnt been for a long time....and by extension, there may have been heaps of 20 year old Paidi's rolling into prison in the 1980s. But there certainly arent today.

As such, if it has any 'connotations', it could only be for people over a certain age.

Reminds me of my grandmother.....she was christened Bridget, but they called her a different name as they were worried people would call her Biddy, a sort of servants name.

I dont think any kids, or indeed parents with young kids, would be making that association now.

Bridget would be a perfectly fine name, with no 'connotations'. And the same applies to Padraig, or Paidi.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/birthsdm/2000/babiesnames_2000.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I love the name too after Fleetwood Mac song but OH was not of same opinion, in the end it didnt matter as just had a little boy and called him Leon :)

I like Leon

I recently came across a foreign girl named Leonne (pronounced Leon). Nice for a girl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've always liked Leon but hubby went to school with one and wouldn't agree to it.
    I've a cousin Leonie she was the only I knew of until recently but its making a comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Imogen. Beautiful name.

First Jemima, now Imogen ... what is with me and the weirdo names these days? :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Leonie and like Imogen.

Imogen. Beautiful name.

First Jemima, now Imogen ... what is with me and the weirdo names these days? :o

I like Imogen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Our little madam is Zoe and I love it. If we have another girl, she will probably be Olivia and Elijah/Jude for a boy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

javagal wrote: »
    Our little madam is Zoe and I love it. If we have another girl, she will probably be Olivia and Elijah/Jude for a boy..

Don't take Jude. That's my name! :(

Ah no, have yet to meet a Jude. Everyone knows the name, but nobody knows anyone called that name. That's why I love it. Love the sound of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What about Julian instead of Jude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What about Julian instead of Jude?

I absolutely love the name Julian!

• Advertisement

I like Imogen not one I would have thought of before.

Advertisement