Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

sopretty wrote: »
    How do you pronounce Seren? Is it Say-ren or See-ren?

I can't think how to spell it out! Quite like "Sir", a soft sound, just followed by "en".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Seems to have multiple meanings.

Welsh in origin.
    (Like Gwendoline / Gwenevere)

'Ar' - High/Noble
    'Wen' - Woman/Lady

So, 'Noble lady' or 'Princess' is in & around the meaning we take.

We may spell as Arwen or Arwyn.

..... Also my hubby & I are Tolkien fans!

Arwyn with that spelling is a Welsh male name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Merkin wrote: »
    Arwyn with that spelling is a Welsh male name.

'Arwen' it is then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I think Jemima would be a lovely name for a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I think Jemima would be a lovely name for a girl.

Oh god no! My mother wanted to call me that and my eldest sister vetoed it and thank god she did. I would not have thanked my mother for that name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Jemima strikes me as a girl full of boldness and spirit. I don't think I'd call a daughter Jemima though. It's cool, but doesn't 'sound' the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Its not a bad name but for me or anyone raised in the US, Jemima only conjures up this:

http://www.bkrdsn.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/work/AuntJemima.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Jemima strikes me as a girl full of boldness and spirit. I don't think I'd call a daughter Jemima though. It's cool, but doesn't 'sound' the nicest.

I'd want to add puddle duck after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Gokei wrote: »
    Sarah has been around for three thousand years plus, must be something in it..

True...out of the names I listed that I don't like, Sarah is the nicest one!
    We found out were having a girl. We had loads of boys names thinking we'd have another one so very little thought on girls names. We have Lucy and Katy but knowing its a girls I'm second guessing. I also like Sophia and Charlie. We used to love Shayla too. But knowing for sure that we need to pick one has me rethinking alot. Any thoughts on similar or alternatives?

Lucy, Katy, Sophia are very popular choices and Charlie for a girl seems to be getting popular as well. I've heard of more than 1 irish woman my mother's age called Shayla but I think it was spelled like Sheila just pronounced as 'Shayla' so I wouldn't consider it american.
    Anyone have any opinions on Chloe?
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Jude I do think most men given the choice would opposse the name being given to them though. The fact it has religious connotations probably sways me against it even more : pac

Sorry don't like Chloe :( Very popular as well. I now have 'Hey Jude' in my head for the day !!

Lucuma wrote: »

I've heard of more than 1 irish woman my mother's age called Shayla but I think it was spelled like Sheila just pronounced as 'Shayla' so I wouldn't consider it american.

I've never ever ever heard of a Sheila pronouncing their name Shayla!!! Unless they have an extremely thick Aussie accent maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 2 day old is named Luke. :-)
    we had 3 names on our list but Luke suited him best.
    My 23 month old ( has speech difficulties) keeps calling him gook.
    Sounds like something on your shoe.
    Ah she'l get there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the way babies pronounce their siblings names.
    We had a Crayon here for ages:)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Suucee wrote: »
    My 2 day old is named Luke. :-)
    we had 3 names on our list but Luke suited him best.
    My 23 month old ( has speech difficulties) keeps calling him gook.
    Sounds like something on your shoe.
    Ah she'l get there.

Aw gook that's so cute!

Aw I think it's great, a lovely name, but I still wouldn't inflict it on a little girl! :D It would suit some girls, not others, and you just wouldn't know. Besides, it wouldn't go with my surname at all.
    I'd want to add puddle duck after it.

Also, this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Opinions on Paidi (pronounced Paudie) for a boy?? Fadas on the a and last i.
    We both love it!!!!

deh983 wrote: »
    We both love it!!!!

Ah come on, would you really give him a name where you have to point out each and every time where the fadas are? Would you be arsed, like?

Are you not eventually going go get sick of saying "fadas on the a and last i"? And the fact that 99% of his birth cards and birthday cards would be misspelt?

Like if you're not even spelling it correctly (with fadas) in this post ... do you really think anyone else will bother spelling it correctly?

Ah come on, would you really give him a name where you have to point out each and every time where the fadas are? Would you be arsed, like?

Are you not eventually going go get sick of saying "fadas on the a and last i"? And the fact that 99% of his birth cards and birthday cards would be misspelt?

Like if you're not even spelling it correctly (with fadas) in this post ... do you really think anyone else will bother spelling it correctly?

By the way I have absolutely nothing against Irish names, generally! But if you can't be bothered spelling it correctly when suggesting it in a baby names thread ... it really doesn't seem to me like it's the right choice for you. Only my own opinion, though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

The only reason I did that is some people ask how it is spelt/pronounced. Am not the most technological so can't actually find fadas on my phone keyboard that's why I spelt it out!!!!!(Literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I really like Páidí. A real Irish name that suits any age.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love the way babies pronounce their siblings names.
    We had a Crayon here for ages:)

We had a See-sa. Still is some times.

The only reason I did that is some people ask how it is spelt/pronounced. Am not the most technological so can't actually find fadas on my phone keyboard that's why I spelt it out!!!!!(Literally)

Yes but that's what I mean. If it's a name you can't even spell yourself on your phone, why give it to a child?

Imagine the texts after he's born - "His name is Paidi but with a fada on the a and on the second i" ... isn't that a bit silly? That you can't spell your own child's name correctly on your phone?

Honestly pick a name you can spell easily! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Yes but that's what I mean. If it's a name you can't even spell yourself on your phone, why give it to a child?

Imagine the texts after he's born - "His name is Paidi but with a fada on the a and on the second i" ... isn't that a bit silly? That you can't spell your own child's name correctly on your phone?

Honestly pick a name you can spell easily! :)

Of all the reasons to not choose a name. "We loved the name, but I had a certain phone, it couldn't do fada's so we decided not to bother with it" Most people will know Paidi when they see it in Ireland.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Of all the reasons to not choose a name. "We loved the name, but I had a certain phone, it couldn't do fada's so we decided not to bother with it" Most people will know Paidi when they see it in Ireland.

Lol I get your point. :o

I'd be pretty fluent in Irish, I'd pronounce it Paddy myself, as opposed to Páidí (without fadas, I'd assume it was Paidí.) Maybe that's a Connacht thing!

I don't like names where there's ambiguity about spelling/pronunciation, maybe that's just a personal thing!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I really like Páidí. A real Irish name that suits any age.

We had a See-sa. Still is some times.

I've had a 'Grow-on-ya', a 'Fanny' and a 'Clim'. :cool:

Lol I get your point. :o

I'd be pretty fluent in Irish, I'd pronounce it Paddy myself, as opposed to Páidí (without fadas, I'd assume it was Paidí.) Maybe that's a Connacht thing!

I don't like names where there's ambiguity about spelling/pronunciation, maybe that's just a personal thing!

DD's name is rarely spelt correctly, apart from by myself, herself, himself, my mother, my sister and my brother.

The rest have decided on a consistent spelling lol (different for each individual) which they stick to rigidly on an annual basis. :D

It amuses me.

DD's name is rarely spelt correctly, apart from by myself, herself, himself, my mother, my sister and my brother.

The rest have decided on a consistent spelling lol (different for each individual) which they stick to rigidly on an annual basis. :D

It amuses me.

What's her name?

What's her name?

I have sent you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Ah I wouldn't be too worried about other people getting the spelling of the name wrong. It happens with the most common and simplest names. My own name is a very common and simple one, not an Irish name, but the variations I got on birthday cards etc growing up were always a source of amusement. But nothing worse than that, my life isn't plagued by it :rolleyes: Now as an adult people still get my name wrong, but sure what harm? And my surname is a common Irish surname that you would think would be known at home and at least travel to the USA alright, but that gets mauled too. Again, sure what harm? I correct them and the conversation moves on... :)

My name is pretty bog-standard for Ireland but I reckon having a name that is not that common can mean people remember you a bit more out in the big bad world, not a bad thing :D

We both love it!!!!

Do you realise that in certain parts of Dublin a special class of 'character' is often called Paudie/Paudgie. Have a listen to FM104 (dublin station) if you want to know what I mean. Paudie's TV guide! Seriously do not inflict that abomination of a name on a child! Regardless of how you choose to spell it! Trust me, with a name like that the placement of fada will be the least of his worries! Everyone will think he's a light fingered skanger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Do you realise that in certain parts of Dublin a special class of 'character' is often called Paudie/Paudgie. Have a listen to FM104 (dublin station) if you want to know what I mean. Paudie's TV guide! Seriously do not inflict that abomination of a name on a child! Regardless of how you choose to spell it! Trust me, with a name like that the placement of fada will be the least of his worries! Everyone will think he's a light fingered skanger!

Sorry but everyone won't think that. Maybe they don't live in Dublin? A lot of us don't. Where I'm from that name is totally reasonable (it was my first boyfriend's name and it wouldn't have occurred to any of us teenagers to mock his name), the only way that name is known where I'm from is because of a famous footballer with it. I don't even know what you're talking about re the radio station, a random Dub radio station that isn't even received in my area and a slot they have on it wouldn't affect my choice of a name. It's just a shorter version of Pàdraig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am from Dublin and I don't know what that poster is on about regarding the name. I actually this Páidí is a super cute name, but it makes me think of a country man, an old farmer perhaps. Maybe that's why I think it is so cute for a kid. I also don't think there would be much ambiguity regarding the spelling. I think people may miss a fada, but sure it's Irish, people miss fadas the whole time!

Advertisement