Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like Chloe, it is like Kate or Zoe it suits any age and will never go in or out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

January wrote: »
    If you love a name, stick to your guns, I changed my mind on my second daughter because everyone said they hated our choice. I was in love with that name and still am. It was Phoebe. We called her Saoirse in the end and while the name suits her down to the ground and is a beautiful name I still wish I'd gone with Phoebe. My family tried to do the same this time, we're naming this baby Luke and they all hated it but we stood our ground and now even though he's not here yet, he's already Luke and will never be anything else (unless he pops out and is a girl!).

Have to say I like Luke good choice, we were dead set on Jake for a boy and still have it as back up just in case the hospital got it wrong :).
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I like Chloe, it is like Kate or Zoe it suits any age and will never go in or out of fashion.

Yea Chloe seems to be the one that keeps popping up, Kate is on the list as well. I was liking Ophelia but the girlfriend didn't take a shine to that one at all.

Do like Ayla as well just not as a doable barrel with Faith.

On Ayla would it be pronounced A-La or I-La or is it up to personal preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would have pronounced it A-la, I-la I would spell Isla. But I'd say you could pronounce it either name. I'd prefer Chloe to Kate, they're both nice, but I think Kate has gotten a bit too popular in the last 10 years or so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 5 year old keeps pronouncing baba bumps name with an extra syllable in her best Kildare/Dublin/Meath accent. It has made me realise that alot of people probably will but summer holidays are booked and her name is on the documents lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think in terms of names been popular it depends where you live. There's no Lucy here and there's probably loads in other places. Kathleen, Cathrine, Kate and Katy are all through my family my nan whose passed was Kathleen but known as Kitty people call my Mam Kate as she's Kathleen too. I thought Katy would be a nice in between. I know people say Jack is popular but it suits my little dude and it was my grandads name there ain't many called Jack here but there are many Jake's so think it depends.

I just really want to be sure before committing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Would anyone consider calling their son Jim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    I like Chloe, I just don't like the way some Dubs would pronounce... you know the inner city type accent...

If you love a name, stick to your guns, I changed my mind on my second daughter because everyone said they hated our choice. I was in love with that name and still am. It was Phoebe. We called her Saoirse in the end and while the name suits her down to the ground and is a beautiful name I still wish I'd gone with Phoebe. My family tried to do the same this time, we're naming this baby Luke and they all hated it but we stood our ground and now even though he's not here yet, he's already Luke and will never be anything else (unless he pops out and is a girl!).

Luke is a great name. :)

There are 3 Niamhs in my 5 year olds class (not a local school)but i had not heard a child with the name in years,around here Saoirse is probably the most popular baby name but there is only 1 in her class.
    My granny is Kathleen/Kitty too but only know 1 kid with the name.

I love the name Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

sopretty wrote: »

James but shortened to Jim, yes.

My dad is Jim and we would definitely gone with James only my brother got there first and used it for his little one! I don't know if I'd shorten it to Jim, my cousin has a James and shortens it to Jem which I think is quite cute. I'd definitely christen him James though so he could use the full version if he chose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 sarahrt8

I luv the name rihanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I love the name Kitty but it's forever my nans name. I thought Katy was a pretty alternitive. We had Luke picked for a boy we only found out its a girl

Kitty is my grannys name too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

ncmc wrote: »
    I would have pronounced it A-la, I-la I would spell Isla. But I'd say you could pronounce it either name. I'd prefer Chloe to Kate, they're both nice, but I think Kate has gotten a bit too popular in the last 10 years or so.

I mentioned before that its a Turkish name meaning halo of light around the sun. The correct pronunciation is I-la, exactly the same as the celtic name Isla. If it were to be pronounced A-la it would be spelt Aeila which just wouldn't work in the Turkish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Our little girl is due in late August.

Her name will be Arwen.

Her name will be Arwen.

Very unusual. Have to admit I'm not immediately keen, maybe it'll grow on me. What does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Her name will be Arwen.

Different, would you pronounce it as it is spelt?

Her name will be Arwen.
    A lord of the rings fan?:)

I think there's a newsreader or AA traffic report reader on Today FM called Arwen Foley? But I didn't have a clue how it was spelt, I had never heard of it before that. I quite like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Maybe something uncommon enough that half the kids in the class don't share the same name,,but not so different anyone can make fun.I'd have gone with Jake,max or Rudi ( surname starts with r,so had a nice ring to it)or for a girl,daisy,Amy,Emily,Annie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I met a little girl called Seren last year, that name has stuck with me, it's so beautiful! Her mother told me about a cartoon about a little bat called Seren, the theme tune is sang in the most beautiful Welsh accent and the way she says Seren just melts my heart, it just sounds so lovely!

Very unusual. Have to admit I'm not immediately keen, maybe it'll grow on me. What does it mean?

Seems to have multiple meanings.

Welsh in origin.
    (Like Gwendoline / Gwenevere)

'Ar' - High/Noble
    'Wen' - Woman/Lady

So, 'Noble lady' or 'Princess' is in & around the meaning we take.

We may spell as Arwen or Arwyn.

..... Also my hubby & I are Tolkien fans!

I met a little girl called Seren last year, that name has stuck with me, it's so beautiful! Her mother told me about a cartoon about a little bat called Seren, the theme tune is sang in the most beautiful Welsh accent and the way she says Seren just melts my heart, it just sounds so lovely!

I think its Turkish boys name as well.

An important character in the "Halo" video franchise goes by that name.... I think it sounds lovely.

I like Seren too. My friends sister is married to a Welsh guy and their little girl is called Seren. It means star IIRC.

I think its Turkish boys name as well.

An important character in the "Halo" franchise goes by that name.... I think it sounds lively.

No its Welsh. Definitely not turkish male name. Theres a turkish girls name sirin (shirr-in) but not Seren. Theres a male Turkish name Sercan (ser-jan). Could you be thinking of that?

No its Welsh. Definitely not turkish male name. Theres a turkish girls name sirin (shirr-in) but not Seren. Theres a male Turkish name Sercan (ser-jan). Could you be thinking of that?

Yep... My bad,..... Its Sirin I was thinking of.

Yep... My bad,..... Its Sirin I was thinking of.

Thats a girls name. It means cute. Male Turkish name closest to Seren could also be Saran. Quite unusual, can't remember what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

How do you pronounce Seren? Is it Say-ren or See-ren?

I love Arabic names. My daughter has an arabic name.

• Advertisement

How do you pronounce Seren? Is it Say-ren or See-ren?

I love Arabic names. My daughter has an arabic name.

Seren is Welsh. My friends niece is Seren and pronounced as its spelt; ser-ren

Advertisement