Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

spudz21 wrote: »
    Ah bit harsh?!:(:(

That's the Gardaí for you, better get used to it now.
    spudz21 wrote: »
    You can understand if you were in that situation how frustrating it would be!!

I've been in that situation, and it's far from the most frustrating part of the job.

Like I said, if you can't put up with this you won't be able to put up with the rest of the crap. Anyone in the application process is not a person, they are a name & a number and most definitely not 'at the centre of the process'. The sooner applicants realise & accept this, the better off they'll be.

And if GR applicants think they're going to get some sort of respect from the organisation for giving up their free time they're deluding themselves. Up until very recently a Garda retiring after 30-odd years service would get a letter saying 'as of x date, your service is no longer required' - if that's what mules got after giving the best years of their lives, what do you think Reserves are going to get for 4 hours a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thebigfella71

cushtac wrote: »
    That's the Gardaí for you, better get used to it now.

I've been in that situation, and it's far from the most frustrating part of the job.

Like I said, if you can't put up with this you won't be able to put up with the rest of the crap. Anyone in the application process is not a person, they are a name & a number and most definitely not 'at the centre of the process'. The sooner applicants realise & accept this, the better off they'll be.

And if GR applicants think they're going to get some sort of respect from the organisation for giving up their free time they're deluding themselves. Up until very recently a Garda retiring after 30-odd years service would get a letter saying 'as of x date, your service is no longer required' - if that's what mules got after giving the best years of their lives, what do you think Reserves are going to get for 4 hours a week?

Thanks for the feedback, by the way, the fact that this is "the way it is" does not mean it is right, Im not bitching but in all the posts i have read i cant see anyone with a sinilar viewpoint.... why not??? this type of administrative delay would not be accepted in any other situation so why is it so readily accepted here??

and just to finish off.. i run a large business that has employed a lot of people so im not just dreaming up the idea that a little bit of consideration goes a long way.

Cheers

Bigfella

The vetting takes as long it takes, I've seen full-time applicants take as long as that. It's not a lack of respect, it's the system.

I suggest you get over it, if you're not able to put up with this you won't be able to put up with the rest of red tape.

I think you should probably "get over" your willingness to accept being treated like you owe the Garda something for applying to join... surely it should be the other way around???. You should check out the timeframe for application to other "special police reserves" they vary from 1 month up to about 3 at a maximum, and on top of this the applicants are certainly well informed and treated very well

some other forces also have a "candidate charter" http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/Cand%20chart.aspx outlining what applicants can expect, so i think my point about the proces taking potentially years is valid.

bigfella

Dont hold your breath.............................yawn:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I think you should probably "get over" your willingness to accept being treated like you owe the Garda something for applying to join... surely it should be the other way around???. You should check out the timeframe for application to other "special police reserves" they vary from 1 month up to about 3 at a maximum, and on top of this the applicants are certainly well informed and treated very well

some other forces also have a "candidate charter" http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/Cand%20chart.aspx outlining what applicants can expect, so i think my point about the proces taking potentially years is valid.
    bigfella

there is an easy way to sum this up, other countries don't have a problem with money, they have an unlimited reserve of it unlike Ireland.

Why do you think they have stopped taking on full time Members, all down to the lack of funds. If you are really pushed to do this you will wait, we all had to do it including myself, my take on it was if its to be it will, when i was waiting i did not even ring them, even to ask about my application, i knew when they where ready they would be in touch.

Its all about waiting as when you do get called, you will still be waiting you will have to do classes maybe twice a week as we are doing, you will have 5 phases to go thru, so if the waiting is getting to you what it going to be like when you get in to do your hours.

I would say sit back and be patient, i know it can be a pain but we have all gone thru it, some have taken 2 yrs its a waiting game :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I'd like to make it clear that I'm talking about the organisation and not Gardaí. Any reservist who pulls his/her weight, puts the effort in and isn't afraid to get involved when things get rough deserves the respect of full-time members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

I'd like to make it clear that I'm talking about the organisation and not Gardaí. Any reservist who pulls his/her weight, puts the effort in and isn't afraid to get involved when things get rough deserves the respect of full-time members.

yes i agree with you, but i think like every other job or voluntary position you need to gain that respect, you don't get it by filling in the first application form, yes it may be commendable but you yet have to prove your self and i say this as an applicant not a member.

totally agree with you there mate, its the same in any job, people will be weary of you for a while till they suss you out, and see what they are dealing with, but hopefully everyone pulls his or her weight when it comes to it, as your partner is depending on you as you are on them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Ouch, I have aches and pains on my aches and pains. A very demanding day yesterday in Templemore for ASP training It was tough . It was nice to see old friends and it surprised me to see that there were Reserves of all levels on the Training. I met a few who were from the first intake of Reserves and a few who were only starting Phase two (they havent even got their uniforms yet but are ASP qualified). I would recommend that you do a bit of training before you go on the course as it is a tough day and not everyone passes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Hacknabush wrote: »
    Ouch, I have aches and pains on my aches and pains. A very demanding day yesterday in Templemore for ASP training It was tough . It was nice to see old friends and it surprised me to see that there were Reserves of all levels on the Training. I met a few who were from the first intake of Reserves and a few who were only starting Phase two (they havent even got their uniforms yet but are ASP qualified). I would recommend that you do a bit of training before you go on the course as it is a tough day and not everyone passes.:rolleyes:

I'm curious - were you invited to go on this training or did you hear about it from someone and applied off your own bat?

• Advertisement

stiofanD wrote: »
    I'm curious - were you invited to go on this training or did you hear about it from someone and applied off your own bat?

mmm i would be curious about this as well would be nice if you could get this done before the next phase as our next phase is not till july and we prob wont get asp training then either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    mmm i would be curious about this as well would be nice if you could get this done before the next phase as our next phase is not till july and we prob wont get asp training then either :rolleyes:

when in July are we back?

I think its the 10th its a Friday and Saturday this time

A lot of us were restricted to Admin duties after graduation as we were not fully operational without the necessary equipment that may be needed in the event of a situation. I was contacted and asked if I would attend the training...

PS: - still sore ouch....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

A lot of us were restricted to Admin duties after graduation as we were not fully operational without the necessary equipment that may be needed in the event of a situation. I was contacted and asked if I would attend the training...

PS: - still sore ouch....:D

restricted to admin duties? Don't like the sound of that! I'm in phase 4 at the moment, and I'd be keen to do the ASP training before graduation. Hopefully they'll do another days training over the summer...

restricted to admin duties? Don't like the sound of that! I'm in phase 4 at the moment, and I'd be keen to do the ASP training before graduation. Hopefully they'll do another days training over the summer...

Be no harm to contact HRM or the training office in the College to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

Be no harm to contact HRM or the training office in the College to find out.

hacknabush i take it you are graduated in the reserve??? if so how did you get on in phase 4 tel me what you done while in the station and out in the beat??:eek: how did you get on when you got to the sataion eg how you got on with the other gardai, what were you issued with while heading out on the beat for your own protection as you did not have asp???:confused: we are going back for pahse 3 next month can you tell me what to expect just to have an idea.:p

thanks
    paul:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

stiofan would you mind tell me how you are getting on in phase 4. i am just curious as to how different people are getting on like and what you are doing in all aspects of the job???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jennifer187

I did my ASP training course yesterday and I cant move one muscle in my body without pain right now!! It's a great days training though and really good fun :D Anyone who hasnt done it yet I would advise to take up weightlifting or something :P Cos my arms are falling off me right now!!

paulbolg wrote: »
    hacknabush i take it you are graduated in the reserve??? if so how did you get on in phase 4 tel me what you done while in the station and out in the beat??:eek: how did you get on when you got to the sataion eg how you got on with the other gardai, what were you issued with while heading out on the beat for your own protection as you did not have asp???:confused: we are going back for pahse 3 next month can you tell me what to expect just to have an idea.:p

thanks
    paul:cool:

Hi Paul, Phase four was great I did a lot of hours over the 40 as we were put back for graduation a couple of times. The regulars are great and I only found one that had no time for the reserves, having said that he was disliked by the regulars (there is always one) he is one of these guys who has a gripe with everything. The ASP was not an issue when I was on phase four as I was only an observer but now as an attested member it is different I can do a bit more. I am based in a very busy station and the public office is manic sometimes, Out on the beat most people dont know that you are not a fulltime member (even with the blue markings) . Phase three was a bit physical so do a bit of training so it will be easier on you, but if you are reasonably fit you will get through it no problem

• Advertisement

I did my ASP training course yesterday and I cant move one muscle in my body without pain right now!! It's a great days training though and really good fun :D Anyone who hasnt done it yet I would advise to take up weightlifting or something :P Cos my arms are falling off me right now!!

Fair play Jen I know that painful feeling. PS: I know you are fit and you found it hard,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

how where ye contatced about the asp training weekend or how did it come about???:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

Do the people on this forum have an interest in joining the Gardai proper? If so, isnt this mad rush to join the reserve somewhat counterproductive?

After all, if people are going to do the job for free then there will obviously be reduced numbers of full time gardai in the future? I mean there has been greatly reduced recruitment for full times this year but they have been recruiting reserves all year.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    Do the people on this forum have an interest in joining the Gardai proper? If so, isnt this mad rush to join the reserve somewhat counterproductive?

After all, if people are going to do the job for free then there will obviously be reduced numbers of full time gardai in the future? I mean there has been greatly reduced recruitment for full times this year but they have been recruiting reserves all year.

Any thoughts?

When the recruitment for the full-time positions starts again and I mean when cos it could be up to two years from now, those who are in the Reserves will be better placed than people who are not for two reasons.

Experience - Reserves will see what the job is like and more importantly what it is like to police the streets

The job is for them - fulltime Garda is not a job for everyone so its best to know what the job entails before joining rather than after. Those in the Reserves will know if the job is for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »

Any thoughts?

In terms of reserves they are only aiming to recruit 10% of the full time force, the reserves aren't meant to replace full time members but supplement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

TheNog wrote: »
    When the recruitment for the full-time positions starts again and I mean when cos it could be up to two years from now, those who are in the Reserves will be better placed than people who are not for two reasons.

Experience - Reserves will see what the job is like and more importantly what it is like to police the streets

The job is for them - fulltime Garda is not a job for everyone so its best to know what the job entails before joining rather than after. Those in the Reserves will know if the job is for them or not.

I would like to add something here..

Being in the reserve can work against you too when it comes to going for the full-time. There are people that have sealed their own fate by their actions in the reserve meaning that they are not going to get in because of mistakes they have made or attitudes they have portrayed whilst on duty.

It works both ways.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

lehanemore wrote: »
    I would like to add something here..

Being in the reserve can work against you too when it comes to going for the full-time. There are people that have sealed their own fate by their actions in the reserve meaning that they are not going to get in because of mistakes they have made or attitudes they have portrayed whilst on duty.

It works both ways.:(

I can understand that alright.

Mistakes happen all the time in the fulltime job. The important thing is to learn from the mistakes and move on. The more serious mistakes however or repeated mistakes can indicate something wrong with that person.

A person with say a bad attitude is not someone which the organisation does not want so for the organisation its better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fitzer32

well only recently dey wer sayin dat ders 80 guards retiring a month cause of the levy and other issues such as the large amount of guards reaching the retirement age.thats about a thousand a year. the freeze is on till de end of next year and since only a 100 went in february. its not really surprisin dat the force will fall by up to 2000 if ya do the math!!dats wats gonna happen if ya freeze recruitment for 2 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

the news could have meant it too 2000 gardai are looking to retire because of the pension so i would not panic as of yet

that firgure could be even more, but i would not take rte if they did say it as 100% correct

and too reserves looking to get into the full time, if it is going like this, been a member of the reserves could help in trying to enter other police forces perhaps in scotland, england or austraila, new zealand south africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

To be honest Leahanemore I would hope that at this point in time any negative comment from the regular force to the Garda Reserve would be dwindling day by day. As a Reserve myself I have never met with any such animosity just a healthy curiousity as to why I would even want to do this for free.To be honest nobody even asks me any more they just accept me as part of the team full stop.
    To me everything is relative I bet when the first Ban Garda walked into Templemore the rank and file felt the same then ,as they do now ,about the Reserve. Lets all stand back and see how the whole thing evolves before we pass premature judgement on it. I agree with a previous poster that the idea had not been fully thought out buts it's here now so lets get behind it and make it work. We may not have all the powers regulars would like us to have but at least we are an extra body on the street when it's needed.Many a time I have reported for duty and was welcomed with open arms because the regular unit was depleted due to sickness and time off.
    Remember there are plonkers in every walk of life and that includes the regulars and the Reserves it's just how you deal with them that counts.

I agree
    and just wanted to add my t'pence worth
    I attested as a Reserve Nov'08, and there have been one or two rare occaisions where I have been on duty with Full time members who did not agree with or approve with the implementation of reserves.
    However, I'm happy to say that I get on fantasticaly well with the full time members in my unit and feel very comfortable within my role in 'the team'. I can't praise the members in my unit enough, to be honest, they treat me with patience and respect,and I am happy to help them out in their day to day duties where I am able or allowed, and they are happy to answer any questions they can, or to assist me, or inform me what to do when and where.
    I work full time and have a family and sometimes its hard to pick yourself up and go in and do a shift, but once I get in and get on with my shift I never regret it, and even though we volunteer, you get so much back in, the knowledge and experience you gain. My self confidence alone has doubled along with my patience and sence of humour.

and I also want to say to the other reserves outhere..keep going, sometimes its hard I know, but you are needed and wanted, and will always have other reserves online here that you can sound off to.

Advertisement