Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

lehanemore wrote: »
    how do you go about getting your own locker, surely you cant just turn up with one yourself, don't they all have asset numbers on them?

I take it he means get one in the station locker room.

All lockers must be official

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I take it he means get one in the station locker room.

All lockers must be official

I want to take the opportunity to thank Nice Guy Always for providing us with the full time member perspective on the reserve on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I want to take the opportunity to thank Nice Guy Always for providing us with the full time member perspective on the reserve on a consistent basis.

Nice to know it helps someone.....thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Nice to know it helps someone.....thanks;)

ah you know we all appreciate your advice :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

yea I know what you're talking about. Yea I hope we get it- but it looks doubtfull

Nope, i hope not, court on a friday, day off work, too much altogether, unless they issue tickets (fines for those kind of things, without court appearances).
    I don't think so! Thats my opinion after 2 plus years of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hey folks

Just wondering if any serving reserves would be up to doing a short day in the life type blog on what a typical day would involve for them? I'm curious whether the video AGS produce is as accurate as they make out and generally looking for an overview; I think I've a fairly good idea at this stage what a typical day might be but it'd be nice to hear the scéal's ;) Reckon many others at all stages of applying, or considering doing so, would benefit from this.

That's if same is allowed under non-disclosure, and ok with the mods of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

sdonn wrote: »
    Hey folks

Just wondering if any serving reserves would be up to doing a short day in the life type blog on what a typical day would involve for them? :)

Get up, have some Cornflakes and if i feel really up to it Bran Flakes.
    Usually have lunch around 1, it varies.
    Come home around 6 for grub, that varies also.
    Walk the dogs and basically tv after that.
    ;)

Get up, have some Cornflakes and if i feel really up to it Bran Flakes.
    Usually have lunch around 1, it varies.
    Come home around 6 for grub, that varies also.
    Walk the dogs and basically tv after that.
    ;)

and all those lawbooks? to prop your legs up after walking the dogs yeah? :p;)

sdonn wrote: »
    Hey folks

Just wondering if any serving reserves would be up to doing a short day in the life type blog on what a typical day would involve for them? I'm curious whether the video AGS produce is as accurate as they make out and generally looking for an overview; I think I've a fairly good idea at this stage what a typical day might be but it'd be nice to hear the scéal's ;) Reckon many others at all stages of applying, or considering doing so, would benefit from this.

That's if same is allowed under non-disclosure, and ok with the mods of course :)

I hope this catches on and I get to post some experience in here one day soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A smart arse on boards, what a surprise :D Gave me a chuckle all the same but any serious answers out there?

BTW I don't mean a 10,000 word thesis here, couple of paragraphs is all like. Please include any interesting stories/out of the ordinary anecdotes etc. Along the lines of what we've seen in the Garda section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

anyone know if there are any based in this station, might be seeking a transfer there, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

For you information leinsterdude:

I know that there are at least four garda reserves in Monaghan Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Hi guys I am a member of the reserve and log on to boards every now and again to see is there anything strange happening our way but all everyone seems to be talking about is what they are wearing to interviews etc
    Anyone want to comment on their time as a reserve...enjoyable?anything they would change to make it more worthwhile...

gardapa wrote: »
    Hi guys I am a member of the reserve and log on to boards every now and again to see is there anything strange happening our way but all everyone seems to be talking about is what they are wearing to interviews etc
    Anyone want to comment on their time as a reserve...enjoyable?anything they would change to make it more worthwhile...

I think the purpose of the forum is for things like what to wear to the interview etc.. It's mainly for people wanting to join and give them a helping hand.

I think commenting on the Reserves and what to change and stuff is probably not best for a public forum.

But will say it is enjoyable, like everything has it's up's and down's ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Having said that, there's no harm in people saying whether they enjoy it or not, what they like about it and what they don't.

An example would be: "I like the wide range of things I'm exposed to, but I don't like all the associated paperwork."

General statements are fine as long as nothing is revealed that shouldn't be.
    I think the purpose of the forum is for things like what to wear to the interview etc.. It's mainly for people wanting to join and give them a helping hand.

I think commenting on the Reserves and what to change and stuff is probably not best for a public forum.

But will say it is enjoyable, like everything has it's up's and down's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Just wondering how many applicants posting here intend to apply for the full time job,:cool: and this is a start, or who is just doing for the experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

Can u work with a security company and apply for the reserves

Can u work with a security company and apply for the reserves

Nope, that's one of the occupations you can't be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mnbvcxzaq

Wear combats or an old sweaty white vest, john mcclane style, preferrably holding a gun on entering the interview room and making quick comical remarks - makes you look hard. Apart from that no other advice, except watch loads of episodes of the bill and tj hooker.
    My most exciting experience as a reserve so far was helping a full time guard arrest a bum and on another occasion, a young girl, deadly. No bullets fired, but that was only cos we had no guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I am arranging a Dinner and chat for any Garda Reserve or any in training in January in Kilkenny. If you wish to know more, please Private me with your email and where you are a member and I will send you details. The Reserve office know about this if you have any issues. Look forward to hearing from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mnbvcxzaq

Just wondering has any person training for the reserves or actually graduated and working away as a reserve applied for the full time force and was turned down?:eek:

I heard a number of reserves applied for the full time recruitment campaign may 2008 and were refused. It seems strange that reserves having been deemed suitable for essentially doing the same job as a full time guard would then in turn be turned down for entry to the full time guards.

Any one have experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

'course it can happen

Being a GR is a double edged sword, if you do well and fit in, you at least stand a good chance.

If you screw up and are generally not suitable to the team/culture, you will find the door closed.

Anyone know how to check how many hours a reserve has completed so far?

Anyone know how to check how many hours a reserve has completed so far?

138 hrs training, add the hours you did on the ASP and OC to that, and keep a record yourself of your hours on duty until the R85 form comes to your unit sergeant.

You will then fill out an R85 per roster and on the anniversary of your starting in templemore the forms go forward to the payments dept, then you wait again until the next payment date.

Things move along nice and slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

lehanemore wrote: »
    Things move along nice and slowly.
    its a case of

on your marks, get set.........WAIT:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

on my second last training phase the 40 hours (observation phase 4). Observation my hole have had to get stuck in a few times restraining people outside pubs etc, public order sec 4 idiots, drunk asreholes that think they are john rambo. Love it do try to get in at least 8 hours nearly every weekend . I am doing the reserves because I want to join the full time force. Overall my unit are sound theres a couple of people that are not keen on reserves but you just have to keep the head down do what your told and get on with it. Its always the highlight of my week.

russo wrote: »
    Observation my hole

Exactly!

I always wanted to tell it like it is about phase 4, you just nailed it there, good on ya!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

gardapa I have being a member of the Reserve for over two years now, and while I enjoy working alongside the brave men and women of AGS, I must admit to feeling a certain amount of frustration that so little seems to be happening in the line of more powers or more responsibilities. For example I am based in a Divisional Headquarters, and regularly work a full shift in the Communications Room. Amongst many things this involves taking and delegating all 999 calls plus giving out information over the radio etc, yet after two years of doing this I am still not allowed to do this on my own. This is very frustrating even for my own full time colleagues, as it means I can't cover breaks, and it also shows that Garda Management do not trust us.

Going forward I would like to see Reserves who have completed their two year probationary period get relevant powers over a phased basis such as Public Order and Section 23, as well as being given more independence. There has to be some form of natural progression within the Garda Reserve, otherwise people who have being doing it for a few years will get fed up with constantly having to be babysat, and not being trusted. As things stand Reserves are very limited in what they can actually do, and I feel that if the Garda Reserve is to survive we will have to be given more responsibilities.

• Advertisement

This is the kind of thing im looking for like I love being a reserve because I'm interested in joining full-time but I cant understand people doing it and not wanting to join because like you say they give up there time to get baby sat! I think management in ags see reserves as more bodies within the community but like you are accompanied by a garda so that body will already be out there so in my opinion a reserve is a tag along and I'm not giving out because I dont mind being a tag along because of the expeience I get from it! I think the only benefit of the reserves at the moment is that it gets you ready and more experienced for the real thing! In relation to things changing I would agree something needs to be done but wouldnt care about getting more powers I would like some responsibilites in some way how little so that when I go in to my station I can get on with what I need to do instead of following someone around waiting for them to take me out if they are not busy doing something else! In some parts of England reserves(Specials) get to patrol on there on but have little or no powers which would be ideal over here! Think I read somewhere that it costs taxpayers over 1million annually to fund the garda reserve and in my opinion its money down the drain! Dont know how others feel or even full time members feel for what ive just said...?

Advertisement