Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 overandout

Yes you can fail, I failed the self defence as I was too uptight, I redid it then and passed no problem, they were very helpful though, best:cool: of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

am!e wrote: »
    Just wondering because i can't find any info.. is it possible to fail any of the training stages?? Starting on the 25th - so nervous now

Yes it is, the physical (baton, self defense) test is the most that people go down in, you will get a second chance another day and they all usually pass it then, the legal side is ok but alot of information (books) is given to you to intake in but all in all it's fine, phase 4 is grand, unless you are a complete danger to yourself that's fine also.. good luck and enjoy... it will take up to 7 months sometimes to go from phase 1 to phase 5.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pinktinkin

Hi was just wondering of there are any reserves who graduated in May that have not yet done their ASP course? Also to the training reserves who would have had their Phase 1 in June, have ye had your Phase 3 yet? I figure you'll be doing your ASP training then? If not do you know when it might be?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Anyone think more powers will come ? or will the reserves continue to be under utilised as they currently are ????:o

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

pinktinkin wrote: »
    Hi was just wondering of there are any reserves who graduated in May that have not yet done their ASP course? Also to the training reserves who would have had their Phase 1 in June, have ye had your Phase 3 yet? I figure you'll be doing your ASP training then? If not do you know when it might be?
    Many thanks

ASP training is not done on phase 3 - there just isn't time. Its a full days course on its own. Chances are you'll do your phase 4 without an ASP and if you're lucky you'll get to do the ASP course before you're attested. In my experience you have to chase this up yourself - they don't seem to come looking for you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pinktinkin

ok thanks stiofanD I'll call the office and try sort it out. hope they have one soon although its doubtful with cutbacks etc. thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Anyone think more powers will come ? or will the reserves continue to be under utilised as they currently are ????:o
    you cant be underutilized unless you are not forfilling your prescribed duties. It would be an insult to the full time gardi to give a reserve the same or closes to the same poweres they have. they have had to work and prove them self's to get "powers. i think more responsibility yes, powers no. the last thing we need in this country is that reserves start to replace gardi, and that's what will happen if reserves get more powers. and i say this as someone waiting for my background checks to complete for the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

DK47 wrote: »
    you cant be underutilized unless you are not forfilling your prescribed duties. It would be an insult to the full time gardi to give a reserve the same or closes to the same poweres they have. they have had to work and prove them self's to get "powers. i think more responsibility yes, powers no. the last thing we need in this country is that reserves start to replace gardi, and that's what will happen if reserves get more powers. and i say this as someone waiting for my background checks to complete for the reserves.

Yup, couldn't put it better myself.

I don't think we should be given more powers and I'd personally question someones methods for continuously asking for more powers.

Worry over the first few years of earning the respect of your colleagues, Full time and Reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

i think more responsibility yes, powers no.

You won't be saying this after a couple of months of saturday nights.

You won't be saying this after a couple of months of saturday nights.

I've a lot of Saturday nights done and I'm still the opinion we need no more powers.

Reserves have to remember we are not full time gardai, we are an extra pair of hands when it's needed that's it

• Advertisement

I disagree with you- however everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion after two years in the reserve is that more powers would be extremely helpfull.

I disagree with you- however everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion after two years in the reserve is that more powers would be extremely helpfull.

Ah sure I know where you are coming from, I'm in it for 2 years also and there is one power that would be handy and you are probably aware of it also but it would cause a lot of problems.

If the Reserve concept survives the next few years, they might reconsider. But it will be a long long time away

yea I know what you're talking about. Yea I hope we get it- but it looks doubtfull

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I've been told recently by a full time member that reserves are usually given the ''graveyard'' shift i.e. sat night/sunday morning. Is this the case? I think with my full-time job (which can also push into weekends) the main shifts I will be able to do is saturday or sunday, day time. Is this unacceptable would you think? I could do the odd late night shift, just not every week.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I've been told recently by a full time member that reserves are usually given the ''graveyard'' shift i.e. sat night/sunday morning. Is this the case? I think with my full-time job (which can also push into weekends) the main shifts I will be able to do is saturday or sunday, day time. Is this unacceptable would you think? I could do the odd late night shift, just not every week.... :confused:

that should be fine, you'll be assigned to a unit, just try to follow their roster as close as possible, they don't work every weekend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

If any of you attested Reserves are interested in meeting up for a Christmas Meal and a chat about how things are going say at a central location like Kilkenny or even Dublin. If so PM me here as soon as possible and I will try and arrange something. Also can you please tell any other Reserves you know in the Carlow/Kildare, Waterford, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Wexford & Tipperary Division. Look forward to hearing from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dmainman

Not impressed with the OC Spray not being a personal issue. Same craic with the Tetras!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I hear you - its certainly not ideal, but I'd say the main reason for this is that full time members are required to keep their OC spray in their tetra locker for security and we don't get tetra lockers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

dmainman wrote: »
    Not impressed with the OC Spray not being a personal issue. Same craic with the Tetras!
    stiofanD wrote: »
    I hear you - its certainly not ideal, but I'd say the main reason for this is that full time members are required to keep their OC spray in their tetra locker for security and we don't get tetra lockers!

Correct our O/C spray must be kept in secure lockers. Unlike ASP, cuffs etc we cannot take home our O/C spray as it is considered a firearm by management.

On that lads if ye dont have lockers in yer stations apply in writting for them for safe storage of your uniform and I.D. card. Two reserves in hot water about carrying them home with them.........No reserve should be left without a locker. Very least they can give ye a postal locker for some gear!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Correct our O/C spray must be kept in secure lockers. Unlike ASP, cuffs etc we cannot take home our O/C spray as it is considered a firearm by management.

On that lads if ye dont have lockers in yer stations apply in writting for them for safe storage of your uniform and I.D. card. Two reserves in hot water about carrying them home with them.........No reserve should be left without a locker. Very least they can give ye a postal locker for some gear!!!

Hi Nice Guy Always, who are the Reserves in trouble with?

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote: »
    Hi Nice Guy Always, who are the Reserves in trouble with?

Generally members get in trouble with management......

But as another poster who deleted their post said......its not really up for discussion on this forum. Just mind yerselfs folks. Dont make it easy to get into trouble.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Generally members get in trouble with management......

But as another poster who deleted their post said......its not really up for discussion on this forum. Just mind yerselfs folks. Dont make it easy to get into trouble.;)

Is that full time members or reserve members !! You really should not make comments that you can not back up ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Carrying what home ? I have a locker in my station and always wear my uniform to and from home, it's not and has never been an issue ... Again misleading facts .....

Story1970 wrote: »
    Is that full time members or reserve members !! You really should not make comments that you can not back up ....

This is not really a discussion for a public forum but like any job, when someone does something that they are not supposed to do, they usual get in trouble with management. Goes for full time and Reserve

Carrying what home ? I have a locker in my station and always wear my uniform to and from home, it's not and has never been an issue ... Again misleading facts .....

Don't think he posted that comment especially about you.

Some stations defer from others, I'm aware of certain individuals in 'hot water' at the mo over this too.

No misleading facts here, but again this shouldn't really be discussed on a forum.

My post was directed at ALL members of the garda reserve......at lot of whom I know do not have private lockers.

I do not mislead. It may not be an issue for you but it is an issue. Your uniform goes missing....it will be your fault. I direct you to your post at 1313 on this matter....
    Don't think he posted that comment especially about you.

Some stations defer from others, I'm aware of certain individuals in 'hot water' at the mo over this too.

No misleading facts here, but again this shouldn't really be discussed on a forum.

Spot on.....we'll leave it at that and those that know me can take what they want from it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hey folks jus regarding the lose of uniform(equipment)
    my sergent told me that its very much frowned upon and can even affect getting into the full time if anything is lost he advised me to get my own locker and make sure i dont slip up.
    well done everybody with interview dates and who passed stage1 :D
    welcome to the process :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

he advised me to get my own locker and make sure i dont slip up.

how do you go about getting your own locker, surely you cant just turn up with one yourself, don't they all have asset numbers on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I know a reserve (in Dublin) who says that you really have to watch your stuff alright. As in, if you put your cap down and go off for a minute, it might not be there when you get back. He also happened to be talking about this occurring in a station. ;)

Seems to me that, regardless of variation between stations (of which some DEFINITELY exists), watching your stuff like a hawk is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

So what do you do if you can't get a locker and you can't bring stuff home?

I presume you can't ask to leave it in someone elses locker?

Advertisement