Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Have recieved my two payments of €1,000 each time, my contribution to the Garda Reserve helped make me stand out -i reakon when i went for a promotion in my job recently,
    So while it may be for FREE, i have learned a lot out it, and have gotten no negativity from the Full-timers..

Well done Westcoast boy. I (like so many of my class) are still waiting on attestation but they have realy restricted us on acheiving our final 70hrs on our first year because they have moved the goal posts so often. There must be at least 200 waiting fo attestation in May Love the job and have met a few guys who are not cut out for the full time positions even after all their training in T'more. Life experience is what I got and can spot them a mile away

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Good man nothing like a guy with a head on his shoulder. We have got some lamps as reserves but we also have a whole lot who are great!!!

We are there to assist so dont go out thinking you are any better than the guard you have been assigned to because your not.Remember they are the professionals and do this every day for a living.
    But that said, we can sometimes give our incites into situations because of our different life experiences.One thing I have heard quoted from some senior Gardai is the lack of experience in some stations due to the number of years service. That is where I have been told some of us older guys can help out.It isnt all about been Superman or woman but using the common sense approach when necessary. As for lamps the Full timers are not immune from that particular disease either. They are in every walk of life it's how you deal with them that counts.;)

Hope this answers your question.
    The duties of a Reserve Garda are as follows:

Station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners;
    Assistant to the Station Orderly;
    Communications room duty, to include monitoring CCTV
    Foot patrol, accompanied by a member of the permanent Garda Service.
    Static security duty;
    Road traffic checkpoint duties, accompanied by a full-time member;
    Duty at the outer cordon of major events such as festivals and major
    sporting events;
    Assisting in the event of accidents, fires and major emergencies;
    Giving evidence in court;
    Community/Neighbourhood Policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hope this answers your question.
    The duties of a Reserve Garda are as follows:

Station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners;
    Assistant to the Station Orderly;
    Communications room duty, to include monitoring CCTV
    Foot patrol, accompanied by a member of the permanent Garda Service.
    Static security duty;
    Road traffic checkpoint duties, accompanied by a full-time member;
    Duty at the outer cordon of major events such as festivals and major
    sporting events;
    Assisting in the event of accidents, fires and major emergencies;
    Giving evidence in court;
    Community/Neighbourhood Policing.

Were now callled members of the permanent Garda Service:eek::eek:!!! Musted have missed that HQ directive:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Were now callled members of the permanent Garda Service:eek::eek:!!! Musted have missed that HQ directive:D:D

jeez you were quick off the mark niceguy :pac:

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    jeez you were quick off the mark niceguy :pac:

Yes kerry....im quite good alright!!:)

spudz21 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would be able to answer this??
    If one of your parents is garda serg in your local district, would that affect where you would get assigned to as a reserve?
    I cant imagine you would end up in same station as them.....:eek::eek:

No you cant serve in a station that has a family member in it or your own home district.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

No you cant serve in a station that has a family member in it or your own home district.

Oh good:PI was expecting there was some rule like that and I assume its the same for the full timers?

spudz21 wrote: »
    Oh good:PI was expecting there was some rule like that and I assume its the same for the full timers?

Ya same for us, except reserve are normally sent close to their home. We can be sent anywhere. Ie as a reserve you wont get dublin if from cork

Are reserves automatically sent to the DistrictHQ or can a reserve choose the station within their county? Obviously not their home station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Ya same for us, except reserve are normally sent close to their home. We can be sent anywhere. Ie as a reserve you wont get dublin if from cork

Ah grand, thanks for that:)might work for the better, think I actually would prefer (as a reserve) to be somewhere outside my district anyway, know way too many people round my area, all the slagging I would get hehe!
    Thats all if I even apply, have to go suss out the auld lads opinions on the reserves first:D

Are reserves automatically sent to the DistrictHQ or can a reserve choose the station within their county? Obviously not their home station.

A lot of the time the district hq is your local station (ie in kerry they would be Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Cahersiveen.)

Normally reserves are placed in neighbouring districts. Like we'll say if from Listowel you might get Kilarney.
    Dont know about choosing stations, to be honest im not 100% with knowledge of the reserves, except with interacting with the ones attached to the station.

KERRY!!!! You were my 400th post!!!!:D

KERRY!!!! You were my 400th post!!!!:D

and don't you feel so proud :D:p

A lot of the time the district hq is your local station (ie in kerry they would be Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Cahersiveen.)

Normally reserves are placed in neighbouring districts. Like we'll say if from Listowel you might get Kilarney.
    Dont know about choosing stations, to be honest im not 100% with knowledge of the reserves, except with interacting with the ones attached to the station.

My main worry was that they'll send me down to Cahersiveen :eek: I've nothing against the town or anything just way out of the way for me!

but could you get Killarney though if from Listowel ... it would take over an hour to get there and I thought you'd be stationed within 30mins from home-base?

My main worry was that they'll send me down to Cahersiveen :eek: I've nothing against the town or anything just way out of the way for me!

but could you get Killarney though if from Listowel ... it would take over an hour to get there and I thought you'd be stationed within 30mins from home-base?

Ya you could get it! Even Tralee!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

that post makes no scene:confused::confused::confused::confused:

dkhill47 wrote: »
    don't quote me on this but, tralee is the main station in Kerry, thats where the Chief Superintendent is. from what i read in the kerryman before christmas, reserves in kerry are based out off tralee, having said that, there isnt that many so thaty could be the reason. tralee would suite me, killarney is about 60 -70 minuite drive where tralee is 40 min drive. not pushed either way.
    dkhill47 wrote: »
    that post makes no scene:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:D:D no no it made sense to me anyways dkhill ;)

:D:D no no it made sense to me anyways dkhill ;)

a your too kind, even if i did say scene not sense =:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

there is no hope for me been stationed in my home town so ,ah that suits me i know every tom dick and harry there anyway i suppore it will be limerick o great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Sorry just joined so lots of questions, was speaking with a full time member who's a friend last weekend and he didnt think that members of the reserve were equipped with Batons, he doesnt work with any reserves so I thought someone on here might know?

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Sorry just joined so lots of questions, was speaking with a full time member who's a friend last weekend and he didnt think that members of the reserve were equipped with Batons, he doesnt work with any reserves so I thought someone on here might know?

yes equiped and trained in Baton and handcuff techniques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Echo1

Out of curiosity how many hours of ASP/Handcuff/Self-Defence Training do Reserves get?I no wat full timers get so just curious!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Echo1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how many hours of ASP/Handcuff/Self-Defence Training do Reserves get?I no wat full timers get so just curious!:)

Approx. 8 hours in total and you are tested afterwards.

yes equiped and trained in Baton and handcuff techniques

Trainee Reserves are NOT equipped with Batons or Cuffs in Templemore any longer. The first few intakes were as I was.

8 hours for ASP/Cuff training?not too much less so!!thats no harm!!

Echo1 wrote: »
    8 hours for ASP/Cuff training?not too much less so!!thats no harm!!

Your question included Self Defense as does my answer!!

Badly phrased on my behalf!

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote: »
    Trainee Reserves are NOT equipped with Batons or Cuffs in Templemore any longer. The first few intakes were as I was.

Do you know the reason for this seems very strange to me?I know of one Reserve at my station who had not been issued them but the liason Officer is looking into it.I believe new cuffs are to be issued but like the Asp if you have the old wooden Baton and cuffs then one needs to be retrained.Thought all new Reserves were been trained in the ASP.

Advertisement