Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

RTE News Web Site: 102 members of the Garda Reserve force will graduate at the Training College in Templemore this afternoon. Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy will attend the graduation. The new recruits will bring the total number of reservists recruited to date to 520. That is 3,480 less than the total number proposed initially for recruitment by the Government and the Garda Commissioner in July 2005. Former justice minister Michael McDowell said that the new Garda Reserve, with 4,000 members, would provide a valuable additional support for Gardaí. It was hoped they would deal with issues such as road traffic checkpoints and community policing. Of the 520 members, 143 are women and 377 are men. Just 322 reservists are working alongside gardaí and 198 are still in training.

Best wishes to the 102 lads and lassies enjoy the day .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

They want 4,000 Reserves!.. Think RTÉ is wrong on that one. 10% of the force is whats wanted, bringing the total to around 1500 max.

Good luck to any1 graduating today

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

They want 4,000 Reserves!.. Think RTÉ is wrong on that one. 10% of the force is whats wanted, bringing the total to around 1500 max.

Good luck to any1 graduating today

Yeah you are right 1,500

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Has anyone heard about the ASP Training in Templemore on the 6th or 7th June from 9am till 5pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

freddiew wrote: »
    Has anyone heard about the ASP Training in Templemore on the 6th or 7th June from 9am till 5pm?

what is this about the asp training in june freddie???? didnt hear anything about it??? all we got sent out was letters asking did we recieve training in the asp or the handcuffs???????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

paulbolg wrote: »
    what is this about the asp training in june freddie???? didnt hear anything about it??? all we got sent out was letters asking did we recieve training in the asp or the handcuffs???????:confused:

I think some people have been contacted by phone but not all .Lets just wait and see. Maybe they are doing it alphabetically?????

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

paulbolg wrote: »

Paul, I think you're in phase 2 training like me, this ASP/Handcuff business won't apply to us yet, I'd imagine we'll have to get through phase 3 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

lehanemore wrote: »
    Paul, I think you're in phase 2 training like me, this ASP/Handcuff business won't apply to us yet, I'd imagine we'll have to get through phase 3 first.

There is ASP training going on in the college the weekend of 6/7 June. I was among the 97 reserves passing out last week and they arranged the training for the ASP when they realised how many of us are graduating without being assigned one. So i think the training is just for reserves who have passed out. We were told that we cant do any operational policing until we receive our ASP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

DubNorth wrote: »
    There is ASP training going on in the college the weekend of 6/7 June. I was among the 97 reserves passing out last week and they arranged the training for the ASP when they realised how many of us are graduating without being assigned one. So i think the training is just for reserves who have passed out. We were told that we cant do any operational policing until we receive our ASP's.

There are still quiet a few of us with over two years experience who have yet to receive asp training. Most of us are still using the old wooden baton we were issued with. I don't understand why you cannot be allowed to do operational policing as you have already done your 40 hours without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

freddiew wrote: »

Sorry FreddieW juist saw your post now. Yeah I got phone confirmation and have a room booked in Templemore for the Friday (doing ASP training on Sat 6th June) Believe it is a very physical day. How about you ? are you booked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ the reserves who entered Templemore a few weeks back starting phase#1:

how are you all getting on with the legal studies? Have you found a good balance between work etc and the studies?

kerry4sam wrote: »

how are you all getting on with the legal studies? Have you found a good balance between work etc and the studies?

Pretty good, not easy by any means but it is interesting.

can't go into specifics tho.....that would be a nono;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Lads I just came across this: http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-05-19.1266.0

Minister Ahern (Justice) replied to a question by Richard Bruton (FG) whether the Department of JELR envisages opportunities for reservists to becomw full-time members as follows

The Garda Síochána Admissions and Appointments Regulations, which govern entry to An Garda Síochána, provide for recognition to be given for satisfactory service in the Reserve.

I think this will answer once and for all the questions posted earlier on this thread whether being a reserve helps those who are considering a full time career in AGS.

YES IT DOES;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

kerry4sam wrote: »

Not a problem with work, a really good bunch of guy's on the course ! Legal studies really interesting :eek: .... The trainers have been first class !! :)

Abed wrote: »
    Lads I just came across this: http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-05-19.1266.0

Minister Ahern (Justice) replied to a question by Richard Bruton (FG) whether the Department of JELR envisages opportunities for reservists to becomw full-time members as follows

I think this will answer once and for all the questions posted earlier on this thread whether being a reserve helps those who are considering a full time career in AGS.

YES IT DOES;)

I wonder if they'll ever let the oldies (over 35's ) apply to move into the fulltime?

I wonder if they'll ever let the oldies (over 35's ) apply to move into the fulltime?

If they'll ever follow best practice they would. in the UK including PSNI the age limit is 57 and they stress that mature applicants who are looking for career change are particularly welcome. having said that the age limit in Ireland was something in the area of twenty something, so it is already recently extended. I'm 31 myself so I still have a chance provided they recruit within 3-4 years. I think many policing duties need maturity and I quite frankly don't understand why it is very different here in Ireland to the UK, Australia, New Zealand and most Common Law Jurisdictions.

If they'll ever follow best practice they would. in the UK including PSNI the age limit is 57 and they stress that mature applicants who are looking for career change are particularly welcome. having said that the age limit in Ireland was something in the area of twenty something, so it is already recently extended. I'm 31 myself so I still have a chance provided they recruit within 3-4 years. I think many policing duties need maturity and I quite frankly don't understand why it is very different here in Ireland to the UK, Australia, New Zealand and most Common Law Jurisdictions.

Agreed, but we must think too of the young folks that want a career in the Gardai, it would be a bit of a pain to see old fudgers like me, taking what would be their jobs just beause I'd like a career change, and they're trying to start out from scratch.

Agreed, but we must think too of the young folks that want a career in the Gardai, it would be a bit of a pain to see old fudgers like me, taking what would be their jobs just beause I'd like a career change, and they're trying to start out from scratch.

:)Good point Lehanmore particularly in these tough times which are certainly providing less options for the young ones. However, some oldies, and nearly oldies like myself;) can have exceptional qualifications and experiences that could be extremely beneficial to AGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

:)Good point Lehanmore particularly in these tough times which are certainly providing less options for the young ones. However, some oldies, and nearly oldies like myself;) can have exceptional qualifications and experiences that could be extremely beneficial to AGS.

Changing a catheter doesn’t exactly qualify as “ exceptional qualifications and experiences that could be extremely beneficial" though,......... in fairness!!

Changing a catheter doesn’t exactly qualify as “ exceptional qualifications and experiences that could be extremely beneficial" though,......... in fairness!!

You misunderstood my post;) I did not suggest it means the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!

All I said is having the age limit 35 strictly applied would prevent some highly qualified and experienced individuals from joining AGS.

I'm 31 and it took me a long time to add the following letters to my name

BA, MA, PgDip. Law, LL.M + a collection of certificates :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

well said mate, i myself think they should have raised the age limit as well, as this is the 21 century we are now in, and ageism should be a thing of the past in any organisation. ;)

What?!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Hacknabush wrote: »
    Sorry FreddieW juist saw your post now. Yeah I got phone confirmation and have a room booked in Templemore for the Friday (doing ASP training on Sat 6th June) Believe it is a very physical day. How about you ? are you booked?

Just wondering have you been attested? Am on phase 4 have not heard anything about ASP training and have not been issued with an ASp!

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Just wondering have you been attested? Am on phase 4 have not heard anything about ASP training and have not been issued with an ASp!

Hey Lucy,

You won't be issued until you are attested, time varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

lucygoosy wrote: »

Hi Lucygoosy, yes I have been attested but I think it is down to the availibility of Instructors for the ASP training. There were a lot of people on my phase 3 who had the training and were issued with an ASP ready to go out on phase four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Hey Lucy,

You won't be issued until you are attested, time varies.

Hi Murphy,
    Do you have any idea how this ASP training is been rolled out?There are a number of members down my neck of the woods who still have the old wooden baton and have not been contacted re training.I realise that there are members who have nothing at all and it is only right that they receive training first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Got the bog standard email today, hadnt thought about it in a while but now its in the head again. Couple of questions. The current batch of reserves. What are they doing? How are they doing and what has the reception from regular members been like?

Also, where do you get your hands on the leaving cert results? I did my leaving 20 years ago and wouldnt have that information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thebigfella71

Hello everyone,

just an update on my progress.....

I applied in March 08, I had my interview and exam etc all within a month, i thought that was great.... then i get the form (background check) get called to the station etc etc... all great.... then..... the guys at the station said next i could expect a call for the medical... but since then absolutely nothing. noew we all understand that the checks take time, no problem there.... but YEARS?????? come on lads thats a joke...:mad:

whats my point???

well i think the applicants in this process are being treated very unfairly, there is no time frame whatsoever for this process.. it seems it can take years, and lets face it.. that is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. also we are giving our time and commitment to this free of charge, the least we can expect is to be treated with some respect.:confused: cos a bit of respect and putting the applicants at the centre of the process costs nothing..

Also the feedback on the progress of applications is also very poor.. unless you want to spend your free time chasing up things you can expect to hear nothing.

I am very eager to do my bit and give whatever i can to the reserve but i do feel a bit let down by the lack of feedback and the fact that the applicants are treated so poorly.

anyone agree??:)

Cheers

thebigfella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

well i think the applicants in this process are being treated very unfairly, there is no time frame whatsoever for this process.. it seems it can take years, and lets face it.. that is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. also we are giving our time and commitment to this free of charge, the least we can expect is to be treated with some respect.:confused: cos a bit of respect and putting the applicants at the centre of the process costs nothing..

The vetting takes as long it takes, I've seen full-time applicants take as long as that. It's not a lack of respect, it's the system.

I suggest you get over it, if you're not able to put up with this you won't be able to put up with the rest of red tape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

cushtac wrote: »
    The vetting takes as long it takes, I've seen full-time applicants take as long as that. It's not a lack of respect, it's the system.

I suggest you get over it, if you're not able to put up with this you won't be able to put up with the rest of red tape.

Ah bit harsh?!:(:(
    You can understand if you were in that situation how frustrating it would be!!

Advertisement