Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

Hey!..just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this...if you are successful in joining the reserves, do you have any say in where you'll be stationed? Just wondering as a few of my family members are full time members locally, and I wouldn't particularly like to be stationed with them..(turning up with the family on the first day might not be a good look:D)..cheers!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

Hey!..just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this...if you are successful in joining the reserves, do you have any say in where you'll be stationed? Just wondering as a few of my family members are full time members locally, and I wouldn't particularly like to be stationed with them..(turning up with the family on the first day might not be a good look:D)..cheers!:cool:

if you join the GR you wont be stationed anywhere there is family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

paulbolg wrote: »
    if you join the GR you wont be stationed anywhere there is family members.

thanks a mill paulbolg!! Just thought i'd check that out before i go applying!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Do you know the reason for this seems very strange to me?I know of one Reserve at my station who had not been issued them but the liason Officer is looking into it.I believe new cuffs are to be issued but like the Asp if you have the old wooden Baton and cuffs then one needs to be retrained.Thought all new Reserves were been trained in the ASP.

I have been in a couple of situations where I was asked by a member 'do you have an ASP' and 'We need an extra pair of cuffs' to which I had to answer both times 'No' What is the point in giving us training if we do not get an issue of the equipment, I suppose the same will be done with the Tetra system when it gets rolled our way.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gerry05

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Did you get any feedback from the other lads there on how they felt they done in their interview? It could be the impression they all got after their interview.

Yeah their was a nice mix at mine also which is good.

Yeah maybe, No did nt really get a chance to chat to anybody my interview was at 9.15 this morning and I was the only one there,when I was leaving there was one girl waiting to go in.
    I then went back for the report writing at 1.00 thats when i came across the rest of them,think everybody was too nervous to talk:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hacknabush wrote: »
    I have been in a couple of situations where I was asked by a member 'do you have an ASP' and 'We need an extra pair of cuffs' to which I had to answer both times 'No' What is the point in giving us training if we do not get an issue of the equipment, I suppose the same will be done with the Tetra system when it gets rolled our way.:eek:

If a Reserve were to purchase their own are they permitted to use them? or is there an insurance issue?

If a Reserve were to purchase their own are they permitted to use them? or is there an insurance issue?

Jeez perish the thought...supplying your own equipment...Imagine how a solicitor would rip you apart for not having the offical issue. Buying your own would be easy but as you said the insurance implications and also you would be leaving yourself open to a whole raft of possibilities from a legal side.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If a fulltime member was to use an item that was not officially given to them with training, we could face definite disciplinary proceedings and a possible civil suit. The AGS would basically wash its hands of that member.

Same could happen a Reserve too so its better to be safe than sorry.

TheNog wrote: »
    If a fulltime member was to use an item that was not officially given to them with training, we could face definite disciplinary proceedings and a possible civil suit. The AGS would basically wash its hands of that member.

Agreed... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

HI Nog,any reason why reserves are not issued with cuffs and the asp if they did training:confused:is it just a case of being slow issuing equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

THE PIPER wrote: »
    HI Nog,any reason why reserves are not issued with cuffs and the asp if they did training:confused:is it just a case of being slow issuing equipment?

They usually are issued them but it's just the fact that new types are coming in soon there's no point giving out the old ones, same goes for the ASP. Its a full day of training required for that and impossible to do during the reserve training

THE PIPER wrote: »
    They usually are issued them but it's just the fact that new types are coming in soon there's no point giving out the old ones, same goes for the ASP. Its a full day of training required for that and impossible to do during the reserve training

I can see the problem with training and issuing the old cuffs with new cuffs on the way in but I cant see why ye are not being trained in the ASP and being issued with them either.

Even though the ASP is and should be the last thing introduced into any situation, it is there for your protection and the protection of your colleagues.

From what I heard we will be trained with the semi rigid cuffs in the summer along with training with the pepper spray. Along with the new radios coming out and a couple of other things that are not to be made public, will mean we are moving into a more modern era of policing to tackle rising crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

if a full time member and a reserve are on foot patrol and they are confronted by 2 men and are, lets say, attacked, am i right in thinking that the Garda is the only one that has an ASP to defend both him/her self and the reserve. Is that not leaving the reserve wide open and the garda with the reserve a soft target so to speak, or is it the case thae a reserve would never be in a situation where that could happen, also in what situation would a reserve use cufs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

dkhill47 wrote: »
    if a full time member and a reserve are on foot patrol and they are confronted by 2 men and are, lets say, attacked, am i right in thinking that the Garda is the only one that has an ASP to defend both him/her self and the reserve. Is that not leaving the reserve wide open and the garda with the reserve a soft target so to speak, or is it the case thae a reserve would never be in a situation where that could happen, also in what situation would a reserve use cufs?

Reserves have training in ASP use and are issued them. The only ones who don't have them are the new Reserves coming out as the training for ASP's is a full day and can't be done during the weekend training and has to be organised for another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Reserves have training in ASP use and are issued them. The only ones who don't have them are the new Reserves coming out as the training for ASP's is a full day and can't be done during the weekend training and has to be organised for another time.

cheeres murphy, that clears it up nicely, :)

I can see the problem with training and issuing the old cuffs with new cuffs on the way in but I cant see why ye are not being trained in the ASP and being issued with them either.

Even though the ASP is and should be the last thing introduced into any situation, it is there for your protection and the protection of your colleagues.

From what I heard we will be trained with the semi rigid cuffs in the summer along with training with the pepper spray. Along with the new radios coming out and a couple of other things that are not to be made public, will mean we are moving into a more modern era of policing to tackle rising crime.
    Thanks Nog for clearing that up,:)

Thanks Murphy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

dkhill47 wrote: »
    cheeres murphy, that clears it up nicely, :)

hi lads i have been reading your comments on the ASP and cuffs and just wondering about what you mean about new reserves not getting issued with them beacuse the impression the Sgt's in training phase2 and in templemore give is that we are issued with them in phase 3 as that weekend is based on that training on the use of that equipment??? can someone verify this for me properly as i nor anyone in my group would be comfortable on the street without them??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

paulbolg wrote: »
    hi lads i have been reading your comments on the ASP and cuffs and just wondering about what you mean about new reserves not getting issued with them beacuse the impression the Sgt's in training phase2 and in templemore give is that we are issued with them in phase 3 as that weekend is based on that training on the use of that equipment??? can someone verify this for me properly as i nor anyone in my group would be comfortable on the street without them??

I can confirm that Reserves do not get Cuffs or Baton in Templemore any more as they used to. This is because they are waiting for the new cuffs and until you do ASP training you will not be issued with the ASP. It's just the old Batons and cuffs were discontinued on a certain day and that was it.
    I have been involved in all kinds of Public Order when arrests were involved and I never drew my baton, I just consentrated on holding the guy down and cuffed him but there was always back up who had cuffs as well. I think this situation will be resolved very shortly when the new cuffs arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

totally agree with you on that all the ages vary from 18 to over 40 on the phase 1 i was on and a great bunch of people ;)

• Advertisement

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    totally agree with you on that all the ages vary from 18 to over 40 on the phase 1 i was on and a great bunch of people ;)

Yes I have met young and old (Ithink the oldest was 57) and they all have an interest and a commitment to what we do all sound people (the ones I have met anyway). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

freddiew wrote: »
    I can confirm that Reserves do not get Cuffs or Baton in Templemore any more as they used to. This is because they are waiting for the new cuffs and until you do ASP training you will not be issued with the ASP. It's just the old Batons and cuffs were discontinued on a certain day and that was it.
    I have been involved in all kinds of Public Order when arrests were involved and I never drew my baton, I just consentrated on holding the guy down and cuffed him but there was always back up who had cuffs as well. I think this situation will be resolved very shortly when the new cuffs arrive.

The new cuffs are there at present. I was with a full time member who had them on him and was issued with them a while back. So who do you ask to do the ASP course and about the semi-ridge cuffs? I have the old cuffs and the wooden batten.

I have the old cuffs and the wooden batten.

You still have the wooden baton and no ASP?

If so you need to talk with your I/C immediately because the wooden baton is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

You still have the wooden baton and no ASP?

If so you need to talk with your I/C immediately because the wooden baton is gone.
    The old wooden baton may indeed be gone but many of the reserves in my station still have them.We were told that we would have to undergo ASP training but with cut backs on overtime we may be waiting as its a full days training.It would more than likely have to be on a Saturday to facilitate all.

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    The old wooden baton may indeed be gone but many of the reserves in my station still have them.We were told that we would have to undergo ASP training but with cut backs on overtime we may be waiting as its a full days training.It would more than likely have to be on a Saturday to facilitate all.

I thought the wooden baton was fully withdrawn. I presume ye got training on the batons then? I cant understand if ye were trained in the truncheon then why not just train ye on the ASP instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

I thought the wooden baton was fully withdrawn. I presume ye got training on the batons then? I cant understand if ye were trained in the truncheon then why not just train ye on the ASP instead.

When we trained, which is over two years ago now, the ASP had not been introduced.As the training is different we cant use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    The Nog may correct me on this one.But legally you are still a civillian until you are attested and so have not earned the right to wear your epulets until then.

we dont wear them until after being attested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grandslam

Hi all, is the GR really working out I mean REALLY working, if so why, how is it measured ?

Not being silly but sometimes I wonder Myself even, though I want it to be great....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

grandslam wrote: »
    Hi all, is the GR really working out I mean REALLY working, if so why, how is it measured ?

Not being silly but sometimes I wonder Myself even, though I want it to be great....:confused:

Why would the Reserves not be working out? There are Reserves in every country practically around the world. We are the best trained as acknowledged by the UK force. They give of their time for nothing and they are extra manpower when called to a Domestic or street fracas. In some stations around the country they are so low on manpower that there is only a driver in a car, a reserve can now be with the driver and help as I already stated. They have certain powers and no doubt will get them all eventually like other reserves around the globe. The Reserves are now a stepping stone to joining the full time force. You join the reserves to see if you would like the force and then while in the reserves apply for the full time. Makes sense to me and I have no doubt we are here to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Came across this today and thought some of you might find it interesting, especially the spread of reserves around the country

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-04-22.777.0

Advertisement