Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus new USA sale from €249 one-way incl T+C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Has anyone flown on BA/Virgin yet with these tickets? Before I book I'm just concerned that they don't include their fuel surcharge. I e-mailed BA about it but their response was entirely unsatisfactory. I asked the simple question of if I book with a third party website such as cheaptickets.com is there any possibility that I will be charged a fuel charge seperately by BA. The response was:
    Dear Mr [XXX]

Cheaptickets.com is a travel separate company that uses British Airways and other carriers' flights. As a third party travel provider, they are not governed by our fares or rules.

General Conditions of Carriage for the flight operated by us can be found at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/genconcarr/public/en_

For further clarification, please call our local sales office. Their telephone numbers can be found at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ctclist/public/

Thank you for your email.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I am flying Virgin to JFK all is good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

folks, any updates,

any one complete their flights yet from within this thread,

gally74 wrote: »
    folks, any updates,

any one complete their flights yet from within this thread,

I dont understand ? are you worried about the cheaptickets.com site ?

I have used them in the past with no issue.

I found return flights to New York for €200. I'm just really suspicious of whether I'll get hit for more. There are some disaster stories about the website online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I started to go through motions booking flights to San Fran for Xmas....They were no cheaper. Went back again for search and it came up nearly half the price. "Book these flight quick,only 7 remaining" was the slogan in red....They flights are working out half the price of Aerlingus and BA....Anyone link me to the horror stories??

mad m wrote: »
    I started to go through motions booking flights to San Fran for Xmas....They were no cheaper. Went back again for search and it came up nearly half the price. "Book these flight quick,only 7 remaining" was the slogan in red....They flights are working out half the price of Aerlingus and BA....Anyone link me to the horror stories??

This is my worry:

1) Read the e-mail I got back from BA above, they were very unclear as to whether additional charges will apply. Now read the terms and conditions of the cheaptickets.com site available here:
    CheapTickets Package prices include taxes and service fees, but additional fuel and security surcharges may be charged by the Travel Supplier at time of check-in/pick-up. These additional charges, even on paid reservations, are your responsibility.

I found flights for about 220 euro return to New York. The fuel surcharge with BA is currently 78 sterling or 100 euro each way. That would bring the cost to 420 euro return which is much more in line with what you would expect to pay but if I was paying 420 I probably couldn't afford to go so I wouldn't be very happy being asked for 200 euro at checkin having worked on the presumption that the flights cost 220. There seems to be a very direct relationship between what you would expect to pay and what you would expect to pay minus the fuel surcharge when you search on cheaptickets.com

----

2) Cheaptickets.com reviews available here:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/cheaptickets.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cheapticketscom-c4091.html

johnfás wrote: »
    I found return flights to New York for €200. I'm just really suspicious of whether I'll get hit for more. There are some disaster stories about the website online.

Well dont book !

in my case air fungus took the 320 euros... its on my visa bill.

I rang them its all confirmed and all good.. flight to London sorted
    Then I rang Virgin athlantic, its all good and sorted... flight to JFK sorted.

Ahhh rats....I knew it was too good to be true...Flights were working out at 1300euro for two adults and two kids to San Fran on 22nd december...So if we were flying out with Aerlingus to London, Aerlingus might hit us with Taxes etc and BA surcharge+taxes also from London?

Ahhh rats....I knew it was too good to be true...Flights were working out at 1300euro for two adults and two kids to San Fran on 22nd december...So if we were flying out with Aerlingus to London, Aerlingus might hit us with Taxes etc and BA surcharge+taxes also from London?

Well I don't know. That's just what I'm worried about and I am trying to work it out before I book anything.

• Advertisement

Aerlingus might hit us with Taxes etc and BA surcharge+taxes also from London?

What is this based on ?

I have rang both carriers regarding my flight. NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES APPLY ! PERIOD !

Do you not think if that was the case that cheaptickets.com would have hit the headlines ?

johnfás wrote: »
    I e-mailed BA about it but their response was entirely unsatisfactory. I asked the simple question of if I book with a third party website such as cheaptickets.com is there any possibility that I will be charged a fuel charge seperately by BA. The response was:

Its obvious that you received an automated response..

Put you hand in your pocket and phone BA head office in london and ask a human the question.. I have alread explained the situation to you and you dont seen to accept it !

sunny2004 wrote: »
    What is this based on ?

I have rang both carriers regarding my flight. NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES APPLY ! PERIOD !

Do you not think if that was the case that cheaptickets.com would have hit the headlines ?

I based this on the quote above and on cheaptickets website
    CheapTickets Package prices include taxes and service fees, but additional fuel and security surcharges may be charged by the Travel Supplier at time of check-in/pick-up. These additional charges, even on paid reservations, are your responsibility.

Sunny,

How much did you get your flight for...?

I based this on the quote above and on cheaptickets website

Are you missing what I said about how it works ?
    the money goes to the first carrier.. not cheaptickets..

I have rang both carriers involved....

OK. I give up !!! Wait.... and do your research :)

:)

Sunny,

How much did you get your flight for...?

No disrespect man, but I replied to you on the previous page and mentioned the price. so you are not reading my responses..

I am done here.. I suggest you re-read my responsed on the last page. all the info you need is there.. its a great offer. form a huge website, and you are not giving the money to them.. in fact more than likely you are sending your money directly to air fungus regardless of who you are flying across the atlantic with.

No disrespect man, but I replied to you on the previous page and mentioned the price. so you are not reading my responses..

I am done here.. I suggest you re-read my responsed on the last page. all the info you need is there.. its a great offer. form a huge website, and you are not giving the money to them.. in fact more than likely you are sending your money directly to air fungus regardless of who you are flying across the atlantic with.

Sorry only came in the arse end of this thread....You got a great deal so.....Well even if we would be charged surcharges it would still be cheaper than aerfungus as you put it....Thanks

What is this Ticket protector plus option? Did you op for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

The one thing that will fcuk this up is if people call/email BA/EI or CheapTickets and start asking them about the fuel surcharge or why it has been omitted.
    If you have any worries or issues about this or simply do not have the balls to book it please do not fcuk it up for the rest of us.Just don't book it.

Thank You.

Glos wrote: »
    The one thing that will fcuk this up is if people call/email BA/EI or CheapTickets and start asking them about the fuel surcharge or why it has been omitted.
    If you have any worries or issues about this or simply do not have the balls to book it please do not fcuk it up for the rest of us.Just don't book it.

Thank You.

I agree.. but for the record I HAVE CHECKED !!!
    Its not a problem you wont be charge so dont worry about it !!
    and as I stated before, if you were charged extra then it would be all over the internet about it. anyway, I PHONED THEM DIRECTLY its not a problem and you wont be charged....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I agree.. but for the record I HAVE CHECKED !!!
    Its not a problem you wont be charge so dont worry about it !!
    and as I stated before, if you were charged extra then it would be all over the internet about it. anyway, I PHONED THEM DIRECTLY its not a problem and you wont be charged....

I booked these tickets aswell flying to JFK for €198 return. I have rang both Aer Lingus and BA and there is will be no additional charges at check-in:D

• Advertisement

WELL DONE MAN !!

NOW CAN PEOPLE STOP RINGING THEM ABOUT ADDITIONAL FUEL CHARGES LOL

Now I hate to steal the thunder but this morning I had someone phone both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic for me. Obviously they did not mention the website directly. However, this position of both airlines is outlined below.

Virgin Atlantic stated that it is not the case that the fuel surcharge is included in all third party bookings. When this is not the case they reserve the right to independently pursue the traveller for the fuel surcharge.

British Airways had a similar position although they said that when there is a multi carrier situation. As in when you check in at Aer Lingus at Dublin to fly all the way to a third destination and this checkin includes your BA check in, there is often an oversight and it is not collected. However, they reserve the right to collect it.

Again you are posting generalised comments..

They are included with cheaptickets.com...

If you didnt mention the site how do you expect them to give you a reply ?

You seem to be mixing up automated responses with what is actually happening. at least 2 people so far who have actually booked have phoned and confirmed the situation with the carriers..

Your reply is at best unhelpful and not relevent to the discussion concerning cheaptickets.com

Again you are posting generalised comments..

They are included with cheaptickets.com...

If you didnt mention the site how do you expect them to give you a reply ?

You seem to be mixing up automated responses with what is actually happening. at least 2 people so far who have actually booked have phoned and confirmed the situation with the carriers..

Your reply is at best unhelpful and not relevent to the discussion concerning cheaptickets.com

You're an awful angry person.

Cheaptickets.com states in their terms and conditions that their prices don't necessarily include any additional fuel surcharges. BA and Virgin will not comment on an individual website as they are third parties. I have telephoned them and asked them the precise situation and it is outlined above if you cared to actually think about it. If you take the fact that flights are showing up on cheaptickets.com with a total price of below the fuel surcharge then you are arguing that the airlines are actually giving them away free. This is simply not the case. The tickets do not include the fuel surcharge, but as the lady from BA quite plainly said, one often gets away without paying it. That is the point. You will not necessarily be charged any extra but both airlines reserve the right to pursue people individually for the surcharge. That is the position.

That is why in your individual case and the individual case of countless other people they have not been pursued for the fuel surcharge. However, there is nothing stopping the airline from doing so. To keep spouting off as if this is not the case is merely misleading people as to the risks of booking with them. Absolutely everyone should go ahead and book with them and hope they get cheap flights and perhaps even work on the basis that they are 95% sure to get them. However, the risk exists and it has been confirmed by both airlines.

I and others have stated repeatedly that if you ring BA/Virgin and give your booking number that the confirm that all charges are paid.. Period.

What else would you like me to confirm ?

I got a return flight to JFK for 310 euros..

I have used the site before..

The money is in most cases taken by air fungus... never cheaptickets...

If I am angry, then you are paranoid. My advice to you is pay air fungus to fly.. Pay the extra, and keep in mind both our visa bills will show that air fungus got our money.. I will have paid half the amount.

So to recap,, I have used the service more than once. I am telling you how it is. others have told you how it was. more than one person has phoned with booking numbers and confirmed that there is no additional charge.

You have not booked anything and simply are getting bogged down in terms and conditions that are generalised and are designed to cover every airline worldwide. THEY DON'T APPLY TO AIR FUNGUS OR BA OR VIRGIN..

You Contacted them and got a generalised reply regarding EVERY website in the world, I and others contacted them with actual booking numbers and its all included.. Who would you believe.

I suggest you post with actual facts.. what you dress up as facts are not relevant to cheaptickets.com.. my comments are and are relevant to actually bookings. I am not alone in this..

One of us have spent money and confirmed the situation one has not.

Cheaptickets are not some shade website. they are huge in america....

I am angry because you are paranoid to the extreme..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 codan

Look guys,
    I have booked this flight and happy with the odds. Lifes a gamble, Ru*ssia might decide to invade Ireland tomorrow :-) theres always a risk involved with everything.

From my perspective:

People please read the thread for answers on fuel sur*plus, stop ringing the companies.

If you dont like the risk, the odds, don't gamble, but if you probe deeper and deeper by asking questions to justify your postion that this is not possible ,then you are going to manifest this by highlighting this glitch to the companies . The result ruin this bargain for the people who took the risk.

All this booking process is done by computers, its how the modern world works, all this process is automated, therefore your booking is treated the same as the booking placed throught e*bookers.com.

Sunny2004 has rang both companies asked if there will be any additional fees, they said no.

So my last thoughts, if you dont like the odds, dont play the game.
    To the people who like to play the game have fun on your holiday ;-)

codan wrote:

So my last thoughts, if you dont like the odds, dont play the game.
    To the people who like to play the game have fun on your holiday ;-)

I certainly will....Even if by some chance i do have to pay extra charges it is still going to be miles cheaper.....Thanks all....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I got some sweet flights for under 200 euro to NYC but for some reason it won't recognise my address:confused:

I've been trying all day with 3 different cards but no luck. And I clicked on the outside the US option and as I'm in Dublin we have a post code which I have been entering.... But this is head wrecking!

Did anyone else have a similar problem and if so how did you solve it??

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Booked today - 3 return flights Dublin to JFK via Gatwick with Ba for 777 USD :D

No problems entering address as far as I can remember- entered first line in the address box bit & then rest in the boxes for outside US address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Booked flights with cheaptickets.com for Christmas.
    Flying Cork - Heathrow with Aer Lingus, Heathrow - Phoenix with BA.
    €545 return. Half the price of next best.
    Aer Lingus took the money from my credit card but the Aer Lingus flight is considered a BA one so I can manage my booking on the BA website.
    Plus I get the BA baggage allowance on the Aer Lingus Flight.:D

Advertisement