Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

blastman wrote: »
    Looks like vodafone have enforced the block on The Pirate Bay from this evening anyway....

or this https://tpb.pirates.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Enigma7

https://tpb.pirates.ie/ or Opera with Turbo mode on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Enigma7 wrote: »
    https://tpb.pirates.ie/ or Opera with Turbo mode on.

Love Opera myself but somehow never thought of that particular workaround. That is the most hilariously easy one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Literally took me 30 seconds to get access to the pirate bay.I haven't used it in ages but curiosity got the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have UPC started p2p throttling too - my speeds are way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

digitaldr wrote: »

No

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

massy086 wrote: »

couldnt get ur one to work.. but
    http://pirateproxy.net/
    works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

digitaldr wrote: »

well, mine are way down too. some etas showing 3yrs59wks:D

edit...okay its getting faster now. what i noticed was the down speeds would start at 1 kb then climb up to say 1.5mb and then start back at 1kb. then the cycle would start again. is this normal?

No

My understanding is that UPC were already doing that. They testified in an Irish court a few years ago that they do in fact throttle p2p traffic.

EMI Records [Ireland] Ltd & Ors -v- UPC Communications Ireland Ltd
    27. Traffic monitoring, through deep packet inspection, is used by UPC to shape traffic. The current policy is based on a general shaping of peer-to-peer traffic. This uses different levels for upstream and downstream. The shaping is applied to the total aggregated traffic and is not targeted at any individual user. The thresholds are statistically defined and can be changed through input. This shaping is applied to peer-to-peer traffic, to reduce its potential for domination of the network, during peak hours for computer usage which are daily from 17.00 to 24.00. In off peak hours, which coincide in part with business hours, no shaping occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

See for yourselves.
    Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.
    However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:
    * There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 20546 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 23944 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits downloads on port 6881 or 34863. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 24631 Kbps while downloads on port 34863 achieved up to 23944 Kbps.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

I don't want to have Realplayer on my machine again so I can't run that test unfortunately.

Are you with UPC? If so maybe they just weren't throttling at the particular time you ran the test.

I really don't see how there could be no P2P traffic shaping by UPC. Because that would mean that they perjured themselves when they told the court that they do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For those wanting to download without worry, would usenet not be better than vpn?

Never used it myself , infact i wouldnt mind someone explaining what it is and how it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't want to have Realplayer on my machine again so I can't run that test unfortunately.

Are you with UPC? If so maybe they just weren't throttling at the particular time you ran the test.

I really don't see how there could be no P2P traffic shaping by UPC. Because that would mean that they perjured themselves when they told the court that they do it.

1. Its Java, not realplayer. Why the hell would they use realplayer.

2. Yes, and I've tested several times. That test above was at 10pm, thats smack bang peak hours, if they were shaping any time it would be then.

3. That statement in court is specific its not on a user basis, its overall load leveling across their backhaul to the tier 3s. That is to say if a particular interconnect was pulling too much P2P they'd limit it there for a chunk of the customer base. Same way they redirect youtube routing to reduce load. They arent doing DPI for each user, there's too much overhead.

Dcully: Usenet is being dismantled by the feds at the moment, wont be around for too much longer by the looks of things. How it works is a little complicated but the short of it, the best I can put it, is instead of the users hosting the files, they pay companies who host servers that keep up to about 2wks of published files on high bandwidth SANs so that users can use clients to pull the stuff in seconds. In the past it got much less attention from the RIAA/MPAA but not any longer. It also doesnt allow for long term sharing, so it acts as a the distribution network for trackers to get the files in the first place.

Its very old tech from back in the day, not designed for file sharing of this kind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Dcully wrote: »
    For those wanting to download without worry, would usenet not be better than vpn? never used it myself , infact i wouldnt mind someone explaining. what it is and how it work.

If people wanted to download without worry, couldn't they just use a legal service that serves all of its content legally? At a point, if you're that worried about it, that would seem like the thing to consider.

Anybody who uses Usenet to pirate has got things backwards because they're invariably paying for the service and if they're paying, why not just pay that money to the original content maker? Paying to pirate is an oxymoron to me.

ED E wrote: »
    1. Its Java, not realplayer. Why the hell would they use realplayer.

2. Yes, and I've tested several times. That test above was at 10pm, thats smack bang peak hours, if they were shaping any time it would be then.

3. That statement in court is specific its not on a user basis, its overall load leveling across their backhaul to the tier 3s. That is to say if a particular interconnect was pulling too much P2P they'd limit it there for a chunk of the customer base. Same way they redirect youtube routing to reduce load. They arent doing DPI for each user, there's too much overhead.

1. Duh! I'm changing over to Opera from Chrome just recently and I'm still configuring it. The required plug-in info page that it directed me to had Real Player more prominently displayed than Java. I was wondering why on earth they would be using Real Player.

2. Cool

3. Okay, that makes sense. But if we assume that P2P is used fairly widely and they are limiting it at several interconnects then wouldn't the end result for the users be the same?

briany wrote: »
    If people wanted to download without worry, couldn't they just use a legal service that serves all of its content legally? At a point, if you're that worried about it, that would seem like the thing to consider.

Anybody who uses Usenet to pirate has got things backwards because they're invariably paying for the service and if they're paying, why not just pay that money to the original content maker? Paying to pirate is an oxymoron to me.

There is no legal service that is adequate for getting copyrighted video and audio via the net. It is nearly always either low quality, un-available, unusable due to DRM or a combination of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dcully wrote: »
    For those wanting to download without worry, would usenet not be better than vpn?

Never used it myself , infact i wouldnt mind someone explaining what it is and how it work.
    a decent usenet account is going to cost about the same (or possibly more) than a decent vpn service and restricts you to downloading whatever happens to be available on usenet at any given time.

a vpn service lets you use whatever sharing protocols you would normally, but with the difference being, you can route your traffic through somewhere where they don't care what you're downloading. you also protect yourself from any spying or content filtering your ISP (or anyone else) might be doing.

I pay about €4 a month for unlimited use of a premium vpn service that allows me to stream, view or download whatever i want, however i want from wherever i want without any comeback from my ISP or anyone else for that matter. so, when it comes down to it, given the current online environment of blocking, tracking and spying on what you do online, why wouldn't you use one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

I can limit my uTorrent upload speed when I'm downloading from a private tracker, but when I'm downloading from the Pirate Bay, I can't limit my upload speed. Any reason why this is?

It's annoying the hell out of me because I'm on ADSL2+ and my upload speed sucks the life out of my download speed.

I tried using a program like Netlimiter, but it limits my download too whenever I limit my upload.

Any advice?

are you globally limiting the whole of uTorrent or just the upload on a particular torrent?

under the bandwidth setting in preferences, you can set the global limit for all your torrents, so no matter what or how many torrents you are downloading it should never peak above the limit you set for uploads or downloads regardless f where you got the torrent initially.

vibe666 wrote: »
    are you globally limiting the whole of uTorrent or just the upload on a particular torrent?

under the bandwidth setting in preferences, you can set the global limit for all your torrents, so no matter what or how many torrents you are downloading it should never peak above the limit you set for uploads or downloads regardless f where you got the torrent initially.

I tried both and nothing. When I limit the Pirate Bay torrent, nothing. When I globally limit it, nothing.

Been heavily using uTorrent clients since 2007 and I've never had this issue before. Mind you, there was a bug on a previous version of uTorrent that would only seed one torrent at a time. I decided to look this up on Google and many people had this issue, so they fixed it with the next release.

Anyway, a new version was released yesterday and I'm still having this issue.

• Advertisement

I tried both and nothing. When I limit the Pirate Bay torrent, nothing. When I globally limit it, nothing.

Been heavily using uTorrent clients since 2007 and I've never had this issue before. Mind you, there was a bug on a previous version of uTorrent that would only seed one torrent at a time. I decided to look this up on Google and many people had this issue, so they fixed it with the next release.

Anyway, a new version was released yesterday and I'm still having this issue.

Fixed this by downloading an old version of uTorrent. Currently using 2.2.1.

Fixed this by downloading an old version of uTorrent. Currently using 2.2.1.
    that was going to be my next suggestion. :)

the last 'good' version of utorrent before they started loading it with bloat was (give or take) v2.5.1 build 251110, but anything from 2.2.1 to 2.5.1 will do just fine. been using it for ages now on my torrent box hammering my 100mbps magnet FTTH (and 150mbps upc before that) and never had any issues with it at all.

vibe666 wrote: »
    that was going to be my next suggestion. :)

the last 'good' version of utorrent before they started loading it with bloat was (give or take) v2.5.1 build 251110, but anything from 2.2.1 to 2.5.1 will do just fine. been using it for ages now on my torrent box hammering my 100mbps magnet FTTH (and 150mbps upc before that) and never had any issues with it at all.

Magnet only give you 100 mb with FTTH? What's your upload speed like and what area do you live in? Wish I had fiber to the home.

Magnet only give you 100 mb with FTTH? What's your upload speed like and what area do you live in? Wish I had fiber to the home.
    living just outside Clonee in Dublin 15.

it was weird, proper first world problem moving from an area with 150mbps UPC to somewhere that *only* had 100mbps. :pac:

oddly enough though, it DID turn out to be an upgrade as I get ridiculously low pings to local servers and rock solid 100mbps down and 10mbps up 24/7 with zero contention (at least not that i've noticed).

there's only 20 houses in the estate where it's piped in and most of the other residents are families with young kids or older couples and i doubt many of them use the internet much at all, so as far as i can tell, i pretty much have it all to myself. :D

you could certainly get the download/upload speeds on UPC, but I'd like to see anyone beat that ping! :pac:

2898451790.png

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Been with UPC for years; this evening bittorrent speeds are blatently being throttled @ 10kB/s. Private trackers and fully connectible, so there's no doubt about the quality of the connections. HTTP downloads and Netflix streaming at usual speeds. WTF.

Edit: So I force encryption and after a restart I'm back at my usual 2MB/s.
    Edit 2: This is only a temporary solution. Works for 15-20 mins, then a client restart is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Rewired wrote: »
    Been with UPC for years; this evening bittorrent speeds are blatently being throttled @ 10kB/s. Private trackers and fully connectible, so there's no doubt about the quality of the connections. HTTP downloads and Netflix streaming at usual speeds. WTF.

Edit: So I force encryption and after a restart I'm back at my usual 2MB/s.
    Edit 2: This is only a temporary solution. Works for 15-20 mins, then a client restart is necessary.
    Is it not fairly normal on weekends for them to do that at busy times..?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

kenyard wrote: »
    Is it not fairly normal on weekends for them to do that at busy times..?
    Been with UPC for years and I swear this is the first time I've been subjected to any sort of throttling. Speaking as a heavy user in ISP terms, I'm quite sure I'd be among the first to notice. I doubt I've exceeded any usage limits as I've been mostly just using Netflix for the last month or two. Having said that, it is a shared connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Renting a new house with UPC and the torrenting speeds are very slow. Any idea how I could try and get it higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Doris300 wrote: »
    Renting a new house with UPC and the torrenting speeds are very slow. Any idea how I could try and get it higher?

Set an internal static IP and forward a port in your router for whatever client you are using.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Forced encryption and randomized ports are doing the job for me right now, although I don't know if this is a permanent solution.

Advertisement