Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

wow thats great man congratulations. boy or girl? is (s)he your first?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    wow thats great man congratulations. boy or girl? is (s)he your first?
    yes, first one and no idea what it is yet, aside from almost 2 weeks late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Currently, whenever I run uTorrent and download a torrent, my Internet browsers (Chrome + FF) grind to a complete stop and wont load pages. From looking around this seems to be to do with IP Flood detection.

Problem is, I have a crappy Eircom Zyxel modem. Does anyone know how to disable IP Flood detection on the Zyxel, or any other work around/solution that will allow me to use uTorrent and browse at the same thanks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Dont suppose UPC has completely blocked torrents have they? Trying to update my WoW and its telling me the tracker isnt responding. Happening with all the other trackers in my other torrents too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I am having trouble getting my seedbox to auto download via RSS.
    Whatbox.ca Heat

Any advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Hi, I joined UPC last week on a 100mb connection. However I can't seem to be able to upload any decent speeds (or connect to any peers) on my private torrent site. I'm sure this has been discussed before but what with the many pages on here about torrent issues I don't have the time to look through it all. I'm hoping it's just a setting that needs tinkering. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Hi, I joined UPC last week on a 100mb connection. However I can't seem to be able to upload any decent speeds (or connect to any peers) on my private torrent site. I'm sure this has been discussed before but what with the many pages on here about torrent issues I don't have the time to look through it all. I'm hoping it's just a setting that needs tinkering. Thank you
    I presume you're port-forwarded? Check your port number on http://canyouseeme.org/
    If you're port-forwarded and using a torrent client approved by the site (some private torrent sites ban particular versions of torrent clients) then that's all you can do.

Usually private torrent sites have far more seeders than leechers on a torrent so that may be your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Yes configured and tested all the ports I needed but in regards to the latter, this was my concern too I believe it may be due to a lack of leechers. I will just keep trying and see if I can download a file that has plenty of leechers on it and hopefully that will produce some results. Thank you for your reply.

i had a similar problem on a private tracker site and ended up having to download stuff that had a lot of leechers so i could boost my share ratio.

another thing was they had 'free' downloads that didn't count against your download ratio, but did on the upload, so you could download something without reducing the ratio, but anything you uploaded helped. not all sites have that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Charlie wrote: »
    Currently, whenever I run uTorrent and download a torrent, my Internet browsers (Chrome + FF) grind to a complete stop and wont load pages. From looking around this seems to be to do with IP Flood detection.

Problem is, I have a crappy Eircom Zyxel modem. Does anyone know how to disable IP Flood detection on the Zyxel, or any other work around/solution that will allow me to use uTorrent and browse at the same thanks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same problem with Tixati, used to have it with azerus or vuze can't remember what latest name is and also had it with uTorrent.

I've limited my upload speed to 5kb/s, i've forwarded a port and checked that it's open, I've disabled DCHP... I have had this problem for years, and started using rapidshare and the likes, but now rapidshare has capped downloads at 30kb/s so I'm trying torrents again.

I have an eircom zyxel router, I used to be on eircom but now am on Vodafone and have had the same problem on both. Even when I close my torrent client i've to reset the router in order to use the net again. Do you have the same router by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone using the latest version of Utorrent? I updated mine and now it won't let me deselect the stuff I don't want such as samples,nfo files etc.

Time to go back and find an older version I think.

@Charlie,I'd say the problem is your router.I have one of the newer ones from Vodafone and have no problems with it.It was just a case of plug & play using Utorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

zerks wrote: »
    Anyone using the latest version of Utorrent? I updated mine and now it won't let me deselect the stuff I don't want such as samples,nfo files etc.

@Charlie,I'd say the problem is your router.I have one of the newer ones from Vodafone and have no problems with it.It was just a case of plug & play using Utorrent.
    are you downloading magnet links or .torrent files?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    are you downloading magnet links or .torrent files?

.torrent files mostly with just the odd magnet link.Haven't really bothered fiddling with the settings as it works fine other than that.Just don't want to download stuff I don't need.

Did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same problem with Tixati, used to have it with azerus or vuze can't remember what latest name is and also had it with uTorrent.

I've limited my upload speed to 5kb/s, i've forwarded a port and checked that it's open, I've disabled DCHP... I have had this problem for years, and started using rapidshare and the likes, but now rapidshare has capped downloads at 30kb/s so I'm trying torrents again.

I have an eircom zyxel router, I used to be on eircom but now am on Vodafone and have had the same problem on both. Even when I close my torrent client i've to reset the router in order to use the net again. Do you have the same router by any chance?
    your problem isn't with the client you're using, it's to do with the number of connections that all torrent clients need to create to work properly.

basically, your router keeps track of all the connections made through all the computers on your network to speed up browsing and that kind of thing, but the torrent client is making hundreds of connections at once and this will overwhelm your router if it isn't set to drop idle connections within a set amount of time.

for torrenting to work properly, your router will want to drop these idle connections within 30 minutes of no data being sent or received, but some routers can keep a log of these connections for anything up to a week or more, so you can see how things can quickly go pear shaped.

most modern routers have cottoned onto this and are set up to automatically drop idle connections pretty quickly, but some older routers still have it set incorrectly by default.

if you want more info about it, google for tcp_conntrack.

you may find that the setting can be altered on your router either via the gui or using the command line, depending on the router model, or you may need to get a new router, or re-flash the firmware for a permanent fix.

i had various problems with several of the newer versions of utorrent and it seemed to be getting worse rather than better, so i did some googling and it seems i'm not alone and that the nerds all use what they consider to be the last decent version of it, which is v2.2.1 (build 25110) and i have to say, after using it for several months i've got to agree.

seems to be much faster and a lot less of a memory hog and still does everything i want it to, just without all the bloat. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    your problem isn't with the client you're using, it's to do with the number of connections that all torrent clients need to create to work properly.

basically, your router keeps track of all the connections made through all the computers on your network to speed up browsing and that kind of thing, but the torrent client is making hundreds of connections at once and this will overwhelm your router if it isn't set to drop idle connections within a set amount of time.

for torrenting to work properly, your router will want to drop these idle connections within 30 minutes of no data being sent or received, but some routers can keep a log of these connections for anything up to a week or more, so you can see how things can quickly go pear shaped.

most modern routers have cottoned onto this and are set up to automatically drop idle connections pretty quickly, but some older routers still have it set incorrectly by default.

if you want more info about it, google for tcp_conntrack.

you may find that the setting can be altered on your router either via the gui or using the command line, depending on the router model, or you may need to get a new router, or re-flash the firmware for a permanent fix.

Thanks that would seem to make sense, as often the internet will work fine for the first 15mins or half an hour or so but then I am unable to use web. I've emailed vodafone seeinf if they'll give me a router as I never got one when i changed over from eircom, and I've been with them a year now... I'll check and see if I can change the router setting on my existing one this evening. Thanks.

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055829338&page=20... the router seems to be plagued with issues! Think there's an old Netopia one at home so I might set that up and from what I hear it should end my problems! would be nice to get the new vodafone one though if they'd send it, think it's only for new customers but I didn't get one when I was a new customer so worth a shot! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329510636&sr=8-2 seems to be a decent router for anybody in a similar position to myself, basically loose the Zxyel router!)

its been going on pretty much since p2p started getting popular, but it took a good while for the router mfg's to catch on to it.

i went through hours of tech support and a couple of routers before i finally got it sorted with my own router and a 3rd party custom firmware that allowed me to manually edit the setting and i haven't looked back since.

i'm a heavy torrenter myself with 100mbps upc currently and according to the stats page my router hasn't been rebooted in almost 73 days, which i think goes back to the day i plugged it in after i moved house in december. :)

its been going on pretty much since p2p started getting popular, but it took a good while for the router mfg's to catch on to it.

i went through hours of tech support and a couple of routers before i finally got it sorted with my own router and a 3rd party custom firmware that allowed me to manually edit the setting and i haven't looked back since.

i'm a heavy torrenter myself with 100mbps upc currently and according to the stats page my router hasn't been rebooted in almost 73 days, which i think goes back to the day i plugged it in after i moved house in december. :)

didn't find that netopia router i thought i had and didn't have any look on the zyxel router... what router did you get (as a back up plan if vodafone don't send me one!)

EDIT: found netopia router, torrents and web now working side by side so for anybody using a Zxyel router with torrents... don't! My torrent speed is varying quite a bit but does hit >200 kb/s... 220 was my max when downloading via raidshare etc. Have to get used to the whole torrent scene again now! switched to jdownloader when eircom brought in three strike rule, stayed with it even when on vodafone as found it handy! So now i've came crawling back, with megaupload gone and rapidshare limiting speeds to 30kb/s!

i had various problems with several of the newer versions of utorrent and it seemed to be getting worse rather than better, so i did some googling and it seems i'm not alone and that the nerds all use what they consider to be the last decent version of it, which is v2.2.1 (build 25110) and i have to say, after using it for several months i've got to agree.

seems to be much faster and a lot less of a memory hog and still does everything i want it to, just without all the bloat. :)

Thanks for that,just uninstalled the new one and put back the old one that you recommended.Way better and the version I prefer.
    Got it from http://www.afterdawn.com/ in case anyone else needs it.

Thanks for that,just uninstalled the new one and put back the old one that you recommended.Way better and the version I prefer.
    Got it from http://www.afterdawn.com/ in case anyone else needs it.
    np, i don't see me ever updating it, newer isn't always better! :)

• Advertisement

With regards to utorrent and finding older versions: oldapps.com is a great website for finding older versions of software.

On most torrents sites I'm on, users consider utorrent versions 2.2.1, 2.0.4 and 1.8.5 to be the best. I use 2.0.4 myself, and I doubt I'll ever upgrade it. They've completely ruined utorrent since 3.0.

didn't find that netopia router i thought i had and didn't have any look on the zyxel router... what router did you get (as a back up plan if vodafone don't send me one!)
    i started with a linksys wrt54gs about years ago with a 3rd party firmware called thibor. then switched to ddwrt and now using tomato on a l;inksys e3000 with all the knobs and whistles like gigabit LAN and dual band wireless as well as a decent cpu and ram and its flying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I need big help please.

I use vuze and the website I use now only makes use of magnet links. Vuze appears not to have this or recognise it? I tried uninstalling it and reloading. I looked at the website I use and it mentioned something about registry keys but I think that is way over my head! I also tried options/interface and pressing the reset button but to no joy.

I have also tried in firefox options/applications/no sign of magnet!

I click on the get this torrent/magnet icon and the page reloads and nothing happens after some minutes.

Any ideas?

I need big help please.

I use vuze and the website I use now only makes use of magnet links. Vuze appears not to have this or recognise it? I tried uninstalling it and reloading. I looked at the website I use and it mentioned something about registry keys but I think that is way over my head! I also tried options/interface and pressing the reset button but to no joy.

I have also tried in firefox options/applications/no sign of magnet!

I click on the get this torrent/magnet icon and the page reloads and nothing happens after some minutes.

Any ideas?

Try a different torrent client. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77214376&postcount=1317

Utorrent handles them perfectly,but use one of the versions linked to above,the new version is rubbish.

looks like it does support magnet links.

have you had a look at the wiki?

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Magnet_link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thank you Zerks and Vibe666.

I got the old version of utorrent. I should have mentioned that I am using a proxy (which after some googling have found have found it can mess with the magnet link). Did some more googling, 'rolled' the magnet link in utorrent and now it works, so far!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone else having massive hassle with magnets? I enabled everything that needs enabling and the first couple I tried after that worked fine, now there's no dice, just getting "Error: no sources found for torrent" after about 20 seconds. There's a little over 100 peers according to where the magnet link is.
    Using Vuze.
    EDIT: Just went for one with 3k peers, still no dice.

i gave up on vuze back when it was azereus as it was a vacuum that sucked all my system resources and wouldn't give them back, even if it wasn't doing anything.

i went with utorrent as a replacement and then that went the same way with bloat, so i downgraded to an older version of utorrent from when it was at it's peak and haven't looked back. magnet links working perfectly fine anyway.

Anybody know of a good RSS feed site? I'm using karmorra.info but all these files are mkv's... which don't play in my media player looking for avi's...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Does anyone know if Vodafone are throttling atm, I started one this evening that maxed out straight away but now won't exceed 10kB/s.
    I ran a Speedtest & everything was full whack.:confused:

Advertisement