Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I only just found this thread now, didn't think we had that many enthusiasts in Ireland, I mean done deal "gaming pcs" are just horrible.

Anyway all these setups and rigs put mine to shame I think. I'm kind of like Paul (Paul's Hardware) in that I prefer just practicality over looks and stuff. I'll post pictures though sometime soon, I've got a leaving cert to do see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Set up looks amazing. How easy is it to get at it? Simply just pop off the glass top?
    There much glare on your screen from the lights below the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Set up looks amazing. How easy is it to get at it? Simply just pop off the glass top?
    There much glare on your screen from the lights below the glass?

The glass just slides off yup, or the white panel at the back, (actually a piece of skirting board) where the power button is pops off by removing the 2 black screws that go into cross dowels. The cross dowels mean I can remove them again and again without worrying about damage to threads etc.

There's 0 glare as the light is diffused by the pespex. There's no light shining up and out if you see what I mean. In any case if I am watching a movie the case lights are switched off via the remote to allow me to enjoy the lightpack behind the monitor fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well f'ck. I've done bias lighting before but that is cool. Dunno how I've missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

ED E wrote: »
    Well f'ck. I've done bias lighting before but that is cool. Dunno how I've missed that.
    it helps also that the LG is brighter than the sun :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw that on reddit Battlestations, class to see its a boardsie!

I'm moving house in the next two weeks, building a new desk myself and will drop some pics. Although ****ing hell, be nothing like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm determined to build something like that when we've moved house in a few months. That is absolutely fantastic work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

5WN34OSh.jpg
    WqcP3EHh.jpg
    On9SSMLh.jpg

Moved my guts into a smaller Silverstone Kublai KL06.

Case is... ok.
    I appreciate the smaller size & lower noise (compared to the prior Thermaltake Core V21) but the build quality isn't great. The top panel won't even fit properly since I banged the frame a bit during installation!

Cable management was a bit of a nightmare, too.

Specs:
    Xeon 1231 v3 4core/8HT@3.4Ghz
    SilentiumPC Fortis 3 HE1425 cooler
    KFA2 GTX970 EX OC Black Edition
    8Gb DDR3L-1600
    Silverstone Kublai K06
    various SSDs & HDDs
    Roccat Pro TKL w/Cherry Browns
    Redragon CENTROPHORUS mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Got myself an Acer X34A today and am loving it so far.

My crappy phone camera doesn't do it justice.

20160527_234148_zps6ali5qaj.jpg

20160527_235629_zpsfke0wx2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Sweet Jesus that looks great.

• Advertisement

I cant recommend G-Sync highly enough though I'm sure AMD's Freesync is equally good (and cheaper) - it makes a huge difference to the fluidity of the images in game. No screen tearing is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Siskods9 wrote: »
    I cant recommend G-Sync highly enough though I'm sure AMD's Freesync is equally good (and cheaper) - it makes a huge difference to the fluidity of the images in game. No screen tearing is the way to go.

It'll be a long while before I could get something like that Acer monitor. What's powering it?

marko93 wrote: »
    It'll be a long while before I could get something like that Acer monitor. What's powering it?

PC Spec:

Caselabs Magnum M8 case with optional 31mm top
    I7 5960x @ 4.4GHz
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti SLI (EVGA Superclocked) @ 1400/7200
    Nvidia 2-way SLI spaced bridge with illumination
    32Gb DDR4 Kingston Hyper-X Predator @ 2400MHz (Cas 12)
    ASUS Rampage V Extreme
    Intel 750 series PCI-E SSD / NVMe 800Gb
    Corsair K70 RGB mechanical keyboard (red cherry mx switches)
    Roccat Kone XTD mouse
    ACER X34A 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync Monitor
    Corsair AX1500i PSU with green braided cables custom made from Shakmods in the UK
    Bitfenix Alchemy green LED lighting strips
    Phobya PWM extension cables (various)
    Silverstone 120mm fan filters (various)

Water-Cooling Spec

EK Rampage V Extreme Monoblock
    EK Blocks for the GTX 980Ti cards
    24 x Akasa Apache Black fans (great static pressure / low noise / PWM)
    Fan grills from ColdZero
    3 x Coolgate G2 360 rads
    Tubing was 1/2 ID 3/4 OD Primochill - Primoflex Advanced LRT (Clear)
    Monsoon Dual Bay D5 Pump / Res combo
    EK D5 PWM pump
    Monsoon metalic green compression fittings
    Bitspower compression fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Komornick

Siskods9 - serious beauty !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You know it's standout when someone returns from a six year hiatus to make their first post...

Come to think of it I was away for a bit :-D

Does it not drive you insane when games don't support the res natively? That's what drove me insane about my ultra wide. Love the ultra widescreen, but so many AAA titles inexplicably don't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Does it not drive you insane when games don't support the res natively? That's what drove me insane about my ultra wide. Love the ultra widescreen, but so many AAA titles inexplicably don't support it.
    I have this same monitor and have found a lot of games I play lately support this aspect ratio. I've less of an issue with it than I did with eyefinity.

So far the few games I have tested have had native support for 21:9

Crysis 3
    Tomb Raider
    Witcher 3
    Doom
    Homeworld (Remastered)
    Batman Arkham Knight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

How good is Flawless Widescreen for the games that don't have native support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I have used it only with Ori and the Blind Forest and it works great.

Any of the games I play work fine:

BF4
    Rainbow 6
    CSGO
    Insurgency
    Project Cars
    GTA V
    Rocket League

Definitely no going back once you try a 21:9 panel.

I gave mine up because on the contrary I found a lot of games don't support it. It's grand when a lot do, but just a few not supporting it was enough for me to call it quits. Fallout 4 is the latest one that doesn't.

There really was nothing quite like playing Battlefield 4 in 21:9 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So far the few games I have tested have had native support for 21:9

Homeworld (Remastered)

HW in ultrawide.....I think I need to order a new monitor!

Mortal Kombat X does not support 21:9 but Flawless Widescreen gets the job done albeit with some noticeable black bar issues during the cut-scenes.

Street Fighter IV does not support 21:9 - no assistance from Flawless Widescreen that I can see, though I'm not that familiar with it.

Alien Isolation loves 21:9

Starcraft 2 does not support 21:9 and flawless Wide Screeen's plugin for SC2 is out of date so no joy - apparently it worked once upon a time.

Gears of War (Remastered) supports 21:9 natively but his game is a mess. Performance is terrible.

Dying Light supports 21:9 natively and after some settings tweaking runs excellently with all bells and whistles turn on

Also re Tomb Raider there is a camera 'bob' effect that is amplified by 21:9 and I'm actually getting motion sickness. Seems like it cannot be turned off.

Dair76 wrote: »
    How good is Flawless Widescreen for the games that don't have native support?

So far not too bad at all but there is an important caveat as far as I can tell and that is it must have a plugin for the game you are playing otherwise no joy...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got rid of my ultrawide because I was sick of games not supporting native res.
    Flawless widescreen is alright to a point, never worked consistently for me.

Dead Space 3 natively supports 21:9 and looks amazing

Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit (2012) natively supports 21:9 and looks fantastic

And the most compelling reason to go Ultra Wide - an Aquarium screen-saver :D

20160529_195406_zpsxhvoulv7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

And the most compelling reason to go Ultra Wide - an Aquarium screen-saver :D

I need this screen-saver, where do I get it :D

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    I need this screen-saver, where do I get it :D

Its Marine Aquarium 3.2
    http://www.serenescreen.com/product/maquarium3/

Cost me $19.99 but worth it :D

Advertisement