Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Great video Furet, and great pics. I go through the express lane on the M8 toll so wouldnt have seen the leaflet either.

It seems to be a very tedious job that they have to do to lay the roads.

I have a few questions about Dunkettle to Cullahill, maybe someone can shed some light.

1):Further to an earlier question of mine about the change in speed limit from 100 to 120 heading north, Ive noticed after the toll heading south there is no signs up. Is it still 100 heading south on that stretch?

2):Just before exit 11 heading north, there is a sign with a piece missing (cahir) this is like this for over a month now. Who is responsible for the maintainence, is it still the builders, or the local authorities?

3):In the last parking area heading south, it says there is cameras located here. I have never seen them, are they there?

4):On the motorway signs is it always the nearest town listed on the bottom, and the furthest at the top(as I understand it)? If so im sure most have noticed the sign after exit 7 for bottom=littleton 13km and above it horse & jockey 11km. Have they just messed up this sign or is there a reason for this?

5):Is there going to be an exit at cullahill? Looking at the map on the M8 Wikipedia page, Exit 4- is urlingford,etc 3- durrow and abbeyleix, if so why didnt they just have the exit before cullahill or move it down and have exit 3 ready. (Im not complaining)

6):And last, have I missed it or is there NOT a welcome to cork sign on the stretch heading south? Ive seen the Kilkenny, Tipperary.....but no cork:(

ARE WE NOT WELCOME THERE? :p:p:p

Well I'm off now to drive it....and look out for more mistakes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

FIRE wrote: »
    Great video Furet, and great pics. I go through the express lane on the M8 toll so wouldnt have seen the leaflet either.

It seems to be a very tedious job that they have to do to lay the roads.

Thank you. I should mention that there's a high definition option for watching the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdM9sgQnoE0 just below the volume control tab. You get to see more detail of the machinery.

1):Further to an earlier question of mine about the change in speed limit from 100 to 120 heading north, Ive noticed after the toll heading south there is no signs up. Is it still 100 heading south on that stretch?

It's 120 for sure The signage is just after the toll and because it's not contradicted by any other sign for 7km, the 120 stands.
    2):Just before exit 11 heading north, there is a sign with a piece missing (cahir) this is like this for over a month now. Who is responsible for the maintainence, is it still the builders, or the local authorities?

I've noticed that too. I don't know who has responsibility, but I suspect it's South Tipp Co Co - in which case, expect it to be like that until a few people complain.
    3):In the last parking area heading south, it says there is cameras located here. I have never seen them, are they there?

No idea. Probably not!
    4):On the motorway signs is it always the nearest town listed on the bottom, and the furthest at the top(as I understand it)? If so im sure most have noticed the sign after exit 7 for bottom=littleton 13km and above it horse & jockey 11km. Have they just messed up this sign or is there a reason for this?

BluntGuy, Zoney and Chris know more about signage convention than I do. *Pass*.
    5):Is there going to be an exit at cullahill? Looking at the map on the M8 Wikipedia page, Exit 4- is urlingford,etc 3- durrow and abbeyleix, if so why didnt they just have the exit before cullahill or move it down and have exit 3 ready. (Im not complaining)

No Cullahill exit. That temporary slip road will be ripped up or cordoned off if they ever manage to get the Cullahill to Portlaoise PPP scheme built.
    6):And last, have I missed it or is there NOT a welcome to cork sign on the stretch heading south? Ive seen the Kilkenny, Tipperary.....but no cork:(

Well spotted. A sad ommission on the part of both South Tipp and Cork local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I clocked you at 118 km/hr at the Urlingford exit.

Just checking. :)

Interesting to see the results of all the engineering and building work, it's like a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Usually the terminal destination of that road is listed on the top and then destinations are listed in order of distance.

For example on the M4, the RCS states:

Sligo - 186 km * Terminal Destination *
    (Westport - 227 km)
    (Galway - 178 km)

Or on the M9, RCS it states:

Waterford - 115 km
    (Kilkenny - 80 km)
    Carlow - 41 km
    Athy - 28 km
    Kilcullen - 8 km

Anyway, in response to your question: no I don't really think there's a reason for this. I'm not actually aware of what the old 1990s TSM states in this case, because so much of the signage has changed, but once the new TSM is published I'll be checking up on these things. I do know in England, it isn't done like this (which is strange since our TSM is based on theirs).
    I've noticed that too. I don't know who has responsibility, but I suspect it's South Tipp Co Co - in which case, expect it to be like that until a few people complain.

The NRA has the responsbility for the maintainence and operation of national roads. They told me that themselves.

The local councils mainly have the responsibility for regional and local roads.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    The NRA has the responsbility for the maintainence and operation of national roads. They told me that themselves.

The local councils mainly have the responsibility for regional and local roads.

Hm. They've said that to me too. But (there is always a 'but' with the NRA) they informed me that it was the council's responsibility to mend the damaged fence on the Cashel Bypass AND to replace the missing red-and-white warning reflectors on the parking area island between Cashel and Cahir. There are so many bucks being passed around that no one knows where they're supposed to stop.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Hm. They've said that to me too. But (there is always a 'but' with the NRA) they informed me that it was the council's responsibility to mend the damaged fence on the Cashel Bypass AND to replace the missing red-and-white warning reflectors on the parking area island between Cashel and Cahir. There are so many bucks being passed around that no one knows where they're supposed to stop.

Huh?

That doesn't make any sense. So all of a sudden reflectors aren't part of the road? :confused:

Huh?

That doesn't make any sense. So all of a sudden reflectors aren't part of the road? :confused:

Yup. I won't even pretend to understand, but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

There was talk at one stage about the NRA taking full responsibility for all roads from the County Councils due to their inability to use the funds they are given from the Govt for the roads

Progress Update – 20th January 2009

Construction works are ongoing in a number of areas of the N8 Fermoy-Mitchelstown site at present.

· Construction of the road pavement layers is well underway in the northern section of the project between the Ballybeg Interchange bridge and the Carrigane Interchange bridge at the tie-in point with the Mitchelstown-Cashel Scheme. The attached photograph shows the road base layer under construction in the Ballyporeen Road overbridge area.

· In the southern section of the scheme between the Ballybeg Interchange bridge and the Moorepark Interchange bridge, construction of the road pavement layers is well advanced with three of the four layers already completed. The final road surfacing has yet to be installed in this area and this element of the works will be completed when the prevailing weather conditions improve, probably commencing in March or April of this year.

The median concrete barrier is currently under construction in this area as shown on the attached photograph. A photograph is also attached showing a general view northwards taken from the Caherdrinny Road overbridge.

· Over the coming days works will get underway on the tie-in between the Fermoy-Mitchelstown Scheme and the existing Fermoy Bypass at the Moorepark Interchange. Northbound traffic will be restricted to one lane for the duration of these works. However, traffic management measures will be put in place to ensure that no significant delays will occur. Tie-in works in the Moorepark Interchange area are expected to last for 8/10 weeks.

In overall terms it is already apparent that a significant improvement will be achieved in relation to the originally scheduled completion date of March 2010. It is now apparent that the new road will be open to traffic before the end of this year. Also, the Contractor, Roadbridge Construction Limited are currently mobilising additional resources with a view to further improving on the completion date for the scheme. A full reprogramming exercise is currently underway for the outstanding work elements. This exercise should be completed before the end of next month and a revised likely completion date will be circulated at that stage.

In the meantime members of the public with queries/comments on the ongoing works are invited to contact the site office on 025-41600.

See: http://www.corkrdo.ie/n8_fermoy_mitchelstown_scheme_current_stage.php

"Additional resources" seems to mean more asphalt laying machines and rollers. I saw some ones that looked span new the other day.

Odds on Mid-May opening, anyone?

I will post a few photos of the Fermoy Bypass tie-in over the weekend.

PS - Gotta say, I feel for the workers on this scheme. I hope they're not digging their own graves, so to speak. After doing such a mighty job I really hope they don't end up out of work...

So the Fermoy tie-in is expected to take 8-10 weeks. That seems more realistic - it should be finished some time in April.

Where did the AA website get July from? There's a pretty wide gulf between April and July.

Good to hear they're putting in everything to get this done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gtec

I've been following this tread periodically over the last while as an interested party - I drive from mitchelstown to Trim every week so the new sections of road have had a direct impact on my quality of life - 10 minutes more in bed!

I have a question though - does anyone know what they do with all the topsoil they took off when clearing for the motorway? I am less than 10 km from the Mitchelstown Fermoy section and desperate for 3 loads of topsoil, which with the slow down in construction appears to be rarer than hens teeth, and I couldn't help but notice coming down the cair to mitchelstown section yesterday that there seems to be very large piles of topsoild periodically along the side of the route.

Ta
    Gtec

Gtec wrote: »
    I have a question though - does anyone know what they do with all the topsoil they took off when clearing for the motorway? I am less than 10 km from the Mitchelstown Fermoy section and desperate for 3 loads of topsoil, which with the slow down in construction appears to be rarer than hens teeth, and I couldn't help but notice coming down the cair to mitchelstown section yesterday that there seems to be very large piles of topsoild periodically along the side of the route.

Topsoil is removed in the earliest stages of construction and stored. As the scheme nears completion it is re-used for the landscaping works, and to "dress" the embankments in preparation for grassing and hydroseeding.

I think those piles of topsoil you're referring to on Cahir to Mitchelstown are actually "bunds" - soil mounds constructed to act as noise barriers for nearby buildings, etc.

I would ring the site manager and ask if they've any soil lying spare all the same, though. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Topsoil is now classed as waste and can not be transported on a road without a propper license. also you cannot transfer it from a field to another field. it must go to a "dump" or stay on the site. then another person can buy the topsoil from the "dump"

This crazy situation is part of the high cost of business in Ireland but it does help our economic growth.

A friend of mine explained this after they were stopped clearing topsoil from a field he owned and was moving it to another field while he built a house and intended returning it after it was built. the soil had to remain on the site or be transferred to a location 30km away, paid for and topsoil would have to be bought again from the same place. .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The reason for that is to keep track of the movement of soil around the country, mainly to ensure that contaminated soil is not spread to other sites. If people could move soil uncontrolled then any contamination would be spread as well. A recognised soil centre can certify that the soil being moved is safe/clean for the purpose.

It's not a crazy idea at all. It's the same in Holland. I think it's an EU directive.

3241245938_b8aa15c1db.jpg

3241245944_7b8a3933b2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Thanks - excellent pics as usual!

It looks like they're going to have to remove quite a chunk of the existing road layout to get this tie-in sorted.

Hopefully it'll get done in the timescale they've indicated - judging by the speed of works on the rest of the project, they'll be completed as soon as this tie-in is finished.

Any word on the tie-in at the other end?

Any word on the tie-in at the other end?

The tie-in at the other end (junction 12 at Carrigane) will be a piece of cake. They haven't really touched it yet, but the layout is such that they could do it in a few days if they wanted.

Just to sum up progress to date:

The 16km scheme is divided into two parts:

1) the "Northern Section", which runs from Junction 12 to Junction 13 (i.e Kilbeheny [Carrigane] to 3km south of Mitchelstown), effectively providing the real Mitchelstown bypass;

and

2) the "Southern Section", which runs from Junction 13 to Junction 14 (i.e the Fermoy Bypass tie-in shown above).

The "Southern Section" is more advanced than the Northern - the median barrier is up, and it needs just one more layer of asphalt. The only major work to be done here is the Fermoy Bypass tie-in.

The "Northern Section" is where the bulk of the works have been concentrated since November 2008. Rapid progress is being made here. Paving works on the Northern Section started last November at Junction 13 and are moving north to J12 to the Cashel to Mitchelstown Scheme tie-in. By the end of February the northern section will be ready for the concrete median to be laid.

By mid-March the median should be installed along the full length of the scheme. The final layer of asphalt will then be applied to the whole scheme, from J14 to J12. The Fermoy Bypass J14 tie-in should be completed by early April.

I believe we are looking at a mid-May opening - possibly even late April. I'll be extremely surprised if it runs into June.

Thanks for the pictures Furet.

The second one really shows what an awkward mess the process is going to be. I still believe they can get it done within 8 to 10 weeks. I don't think it will take 4 - 5 months as the AA were stating. But I don't even know where they're going to start tbh. Pretty much everything you see of the Fermoy Bypass in that picture will have to be ripped-up and re-done in some shape or form. Any ideas as to what they'll be doing next week (when things will really get in motion I presume) Furet?

Any ideas as to what they'll be doing next week (when things will really get in motion I presume) Furet?

No idea to be honest. The weather forecast for next week is woeful, so I'm not sure how much will get done. I think instead of posting photos weekly (a watched pot never boils!) I'll post the next few - from the same position - at the end of February.

• Advertisement

No idea to be honest. The weather forecast for next week is woeful, so I'm not sure how much will get done. I think instead of posting photos weekly (a watched pot never boils!) I'll post the next few - from the same position - at the end of February.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. No point posting pictures when there has been minimal progress. That said however, judging by how quickly things move on this scheme, you may return in a week find it completely unrecognisable!

I may pass by next month to see how it's going for myself, provided I have the time.

EDIT: Unless people actually want photos posted more frequently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Daily plz :) Then we can make one of those time lapse vids.

EDIT: Unless people actually want photos posted more frequently?

I have no problem with it, because it does let you see a week-by-week "story" so-to-speak, of how the work is going. And we all like pictures here at C&T! :D

However, there will be weeks in which little progress is made, so it may not be worth your time in that case to go to the effort of taking pictures and uploading them. That said, there may be weeks when significant process is made and you may regret not photographing what took place.

I think a month is a long time to go without an update. In fact, by that time, approximately half the works will be done.

Perhaps bi-monthly would be the best choice. I can certainly see significant progress being made within an approximate two week period, however I don't think the change will be so significant we'd lose track of what's actually happening. So if you could post new pictures every two weeks that would be quite nice.

Again, like I said though, I don't know how quickly this scheme is going to progress, maybe weekly is the better choice if things move quite quickly. I don't want to lose track of where it's going...

Again, like I said though, I don't know how quickly this scheme is going to progress, maybe weekly is the better choice if things move quite quickly. I don't want to lose track of where it's going...

Yup, I think more often is better. I mean, look at this:
    3241621592_8055d4c1c7.jpg
    The above photo shows the same view visible in that first construction video I posted of the CBM being laid a fortnight ago. Quite a bit of work done since then as you can see!

Then we have this progression, all taken from the R665 overbridge just north of Mitchelstown:

22 November 2008
    3240769499_39e12bfb12.jpg

15 December 2008
    3241602076_7fa744855b.jpg

16 January 2009
    3201878182_47bce23f91.jpg

31 January 2009
    3240806781_60dc9d0334.jpg

The pace has quickened. There seems to be more machinery on the site.

Amazing progress when you see all the pictures put in that order.

I also had the chance to look at the second picture you posted today in a bit more detail and I think I have an idea of what they'll be doing next week:

1) They'll start by digging up everything they can dig up without interfering with the exit slip-road in use now. I also presume whatever works need to be carried out on the other exit slip-road (the permanent one) will also be undertaken.

2) Once traffic is moving on the other slip-road (I reckon by the end of next week). The next step is removing the signage, the steel barrier and the emergency telephone. That's pretty obvious.

After that, I'm pretty lost, but hopefully in two-three weeks time we'll have an idea of what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I believe we are looking at a mid-May opening - possibly even late April. I'll be extremely surprised if it runs into June.

Sounds great. That sequence of pics in your other post shows just how fast things are coming along.

Keep the photos coming, weekly if you like.

I think it'll be great to have a record of part of Ireland's current road-building programme, a programme that will bring big social changes to the country in the future.

Maybe it's ott to say this is on a par with the rural electrification scheme but it's definitely going to 'shrink' the country and that'll have a profound effect in the future.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Am I correct in thinking the Fermoy bypass ended with not at an exit slip to the left of the main line but cut across the main line and ended at the right of the main line as you go northbound?

Madness if this is so. far worse than ending the Gorey bypass at a roundabout.

Furet, have you got any funny looks or hassle for taking videos or photos from the contractors or are they all friendly enough or apatethic to you? They are great stuff to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no..it ends with both at prsent...the first slip being the eventual permanaent one I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

3241245944_7b8a3933b2.jpg

This picture shows what your talking about, looking southbound though.
    Can see the fermoy north exit slip on the right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement