Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Dkettle wrote: »
    Furet

I noticed at the weekend that the southern half of the road seems to be further along, with a good deal of asphalt down. Do you know whether there is a plan to open from Moorepark to the crossover with the existing N8 earlier than the northern half? The junction at Moorepark is being cleaned up, with the tie in work progressing without disruption to the existing alignment (where possible)

I asked the NRA that question a while back, and they wouldn't give me an answer. It looks like 'yes', but I'm only guessing based on, like you said, the fact that asphalt has been laid there.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    could new pics be posted so we can see the updates to the road?

I'll do my best to take a few photos over the weekend.
    Much of the progress has been made offline, running at the far side of that steep valley ridge after you pass Corbett Court and head to the Teagasc farm. There are very few overbridges, so it's difficult to get along the route.

This scheme proceeds apace. Two photos are linked to below. I now believe the entire scheme will open at the same time, and by March/April next year.

Why?

Because many parts of the scheme are as advanced now as Cashel to Cullahill was last June. Also, because they are getting ready now at both ends to tie the scheme into the southern terminus of the Cashel to Mitchelstown project and the northern terminus of the Fermoy Bypass.

I'm very excited about this section opening. I think this is the bit where the most time saving will be made (relative to its length) and it will replace what is without doubt a very treacherous stretch of the N8 -- one where people die annually.

I also think this scheme will be very scenic when it opens. It passes through some lovely countryside and isn't sunk down too deeply everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I didn't know work was proceeding so quickly!

They'll be painting lines on this stretch soon enough, possibly by January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Great pics! That's great progress. Looks like we'll have M8 all the way from Dunkettle to Cullahill by next Easter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh its great, hope its not a case of its done and then we wait ages for it to open

patrickc wrote: »
    yeh its great, hope its not a case of its done and then we wait ages for it to open

No. I think they'll open it as soon as it's ready...

Okay. I spoke to a builder today and was informed that there'll be a sectional opening of this scheme from 2km south of Mitchelstown to the Fermoy Bypass. When that opens, my guess is next March, they will put all their resources into the remaining part of the scheme, which will open next June.

Great snaps Furet! (Although I drove past there two days ago, so it's nothing really that surprising!)

Unfortunately, your snaps have reminded me of an unfortunate little problem with the Fermoy bypass... the fact that all the 'motorway ahead' signs are on the actual slip roads leading to the motorway. What use are they there? Do they expect people to u-turn back up the slip roads?!!! Anyway, I'm sure that's been discussed before...

As for a sectional opening. Well, I wasn't really expecting it on such a short stretch of road, but hey... I'm not complaining! If there's a chunk of road done that's perfectly usable, why stop people from using it?

The official opening date is March 2010. If they can get a least a bit of it done by March 2009, that'll be outstanding progress! (Although, to be fair, the original opening date is grossly over-calculated).

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Great snaps Furet! (Although I drove past there two days ago, so it's nothing really that surprising!)

Unfortunately, your snaps have reminded me of an unfortunate little problem with the Fermoy bypass... the fact that all the 'motorway ahead' signs are on the actual slip roads leading to the motorway. What use are they there? Do they expect people to u-turn back up the slip roads?!!! Anyway, I'm sure that's been discussed before...

As for a sectional opening. Well, I wasn't really expecting it on such a short stretch of road, but hey... I'm not complaining! If there's a chunk of road done that's perfectly usable, why stop people from using it?

The official opening date is March 2010. If they can get a least a bit of it done by March 2009, that'll be outstanding progress! (Although, to be fair, the original opening date is grossly over-calculated).

Actually Roadbridge has reassessed its completion date estimate and now reckons it'll be done by December 2009 -- which is a very conservative estimate (I link to it over on Infrastructure) on its part.

True that the sectional stretch due to be opened first is quite short; it is very dangerous though, what with no hard shoulder on one side, two dangerous pubs perched on hilltops, multiple farm and house entrances on both sides, the bendiness of the road, its tendency to fog up because of its altitude (the new M8 is much more low-lying), and three dangerous junctions. It's a lethal part of the N8 and desperately needs to be made redundant asap. A sectional opening will shave about 3 minutes off the journey time and make it far safer; but I think the real time saving will be made when Junction 12 to 13 opens: it's a much more direct route than the existing N8, and could take a further 6 minutes off the trip. I think it will be possible to do Cahir to Dunkettle in 40 minutes.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    I think it will be possible to do Cahir to Dunkettle in 40 minutes.

That'll be good... :)

That'll be good... :)

I think a lot of people from South Tipperary, who wouldn't have before, will consider heading to Cork for shopping etc. My own neighbours were very surprised by the M8 (some had never heard of Transport 21 or the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme until they saw it (not everyone's a transport nerd like the crowd here)) and how it'll change the dynamic between south county Tipp and Cork City.

Now I just hope they build the service stations soon. And, I hope Apple gets the contract for both the one at Cashel and Kilworth. When those stations open it'll be another boon to the towns of Cashel and Cahir and the people in between in the sense that petrol will be cheaper (Apple are very good price-wise). While I don't think it'll be a very significant fact at all, it will nonetheless be a handy convenience to have in the vicinity, especially since the stations will be located at two toll-free sections of the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

I think a lot of people from South Tipperary, who wouldn't have before, will consider heading to Cork for shopping etc. My own neighbours were very surprised by the M8 (some had never heard of Transport 21 or the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme until they saw it (not everyone's a transport nerd like the crowd here)) and how it'll change the dynamic between south county Tipp and Cork City.

Now I just hope they build the service stations soon. And, I hope Apple gets the contract for both the one at Cashel and Kilworth. When those stations open it'll be another boon to the towns of Cashel and Cahir and the people in between in the sense that petrol will be cheaper (Apple are very good price-wise). While I don't think it'll be a very significant fact at all, it will nonetheless be a handy convenience to have in the vicinity, especially since the stations will be located at two toll-free sections of the M8.

i hope apple dont get the job, have had sooooooo many problems with their fuel, would be good if they could give the stations to local station owners who would otherwise loose out on the passing trade.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Well, the service station I want built first on the Cork-Dublin route is the one near Monsteravin on the M7. I think that'll serve numerous people (Dublin-Limerick, Dublin-Cork traffic).

Then the Kilworth service area and then after that the Cashel one. Would it be reasonable to suggest that by 2015, we'd at least have two of those open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Furet, great pics of the updates on the road, keep it coming! I know from travelling to cork every month seeing the improvements is great. Have to agree the mitchelstown bit is so dangerous and I see why people are in accidents here, sooner the new stretch opens the better.

A Corkman newspaper article from 18 October on this scheme: http://www.corkman.ie/news/speedy-progress-on-motorway-reported-1501637.html

Take the opening dates with a pinch of salt. ;)

The end of 2009...

I think it'll be fully open by August 2009 (and that's still being quite conservative about the rate of construction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

When those stations open it'll be another boon to the towns of Cashel and Cahir

How so??

How so??

A throw away comment from me; never mind it. The stations will be a convenience for some local people who wouldn't otherwise have access to 24-hr facilities or cheap petrol (assuming Apple gets the contract). In that sense I know that quite a few people are looking forward to them opening.

How so??

Hmmm... not quite sure 'boon' is the right word, but they will provide local job oppurtunities for people.

But I still think the M8 service stations are too close together. I think the Cashel one should be further north.

• Advertisement

A throw away comment from me; never mind it. The stations will be a convenience for some local people who wouldn't otherwise have access to 24-hr facilities or cheap petrol (assuming Apple gets the contract). In that sense I know that quite a few people are looking forward to them opening.

These service stations seem to be ages away...

I know that EIS plans have been drawn up for the M1 service stations, M4 service station and N11 service station, but no other. I also know that the M1 and M4 stations have gone to tender.

But has there been any progress on the M6,M7,M8 and M9 ones? I definately think the M8 and M7 will need one soon. They should at least get to work on the Monasterevin (is that how you spell it?) one...

These service stations seem to be ages away...

I know that EIS plans have been drawn up for the M1 service stations, M4 service station and N11 service station, but no other. I also know that the M1 and M4 stations have gone to tender.

But has there been any progress on the M6,M7,M8 and M9 ones? I definately think the M8 and M7 will need one soon. They should at least get to work on the Monasterevin (is that how you spell it?) one...

I'll email them to find out what their plans are RE the M8/M7 service stations.

I agree that they are too close together as well. I think the southerly one is fine as is, but that the northerly one should be moved somewhere between Urlingford and Littleton, with a larger one just beyond the new M7 toll, on the Dublin side.

As an aside, or rather more to the point (of this thread), yet another layer of asphalt is being applied to the southern half of the Mitchelstown to Fermoy Scheme -- what looks to me to be the penultimate layer actually. I then expect the median to be erected shortly thereafter. If the weather stays fairly dry over the next few months, work will get done quickly. If it's wet though, things will slow down a lot.

Like the M9 Knocktopher scheme, I estimate this one'll be finished by August next year. It may possibly be earlier, but my estimate takes into account poor weather conditions that may occur.

Either way, the M8 looks set to become the longest Irish motorway (at least for a while) next year...

Passed by junction 12 near Carrigane today. Much more advanced than I thought. Junction 13 northbound is still a mess, but southbound it really is beginning to take shape.

For some reason the Cashel-Mitchelstown stretch was such a nice drive today. Much nicer than usual...

Passed by junction 12 near Carrigane today. Much more advanced than I thought. Junction 13 northbound is still a mess, but southbound it really is beginning to take shape.

For some reason the Cashel-Mitchelstown stretch was such a nice drive today. Much nicer than usual...

It's the sunshine!

I have some new inside information regarding this scheme.

Firstly, the tie-in with the Fermoy Bypass at junction 14: The contractor has advised the County Council that works to fuse the schemes are to begin at some point during January next. However, to date the Council has not received a formal permit application.

Second, the possibility of a sectional opening: This has indeed been discussed, so our suspicions were well founded. However, the latest news has it that Roadbridge do not intend to apply the wearing coarse of asphalt to the southern half of the scheme until next March; this means that between now and spring 2009 they will concentrate on the northern half of the scheme. In fact this has been very evident for the past month. The thinking now is that by the time next March comes the two halves of the scheme will be similarly advanced, negating the logic in favour of having a sectional opening at all.

So what should we take from this? That:

a) plans, strategies and schedules on even the best-run road-building projects change frequently;

b) our guesswork here on boards.ie is normally quite accurate, it's just that we can't be aware of changes to specific plans;

c) the entire scheme will now likely open at once, probably next summer - I'm going to say late July. The possibility of a sectional opening is not zero.

Yes that has been my guess for a while (or maybe June), I'm not sure...

I doubt they'll have a sectional opening for a 16 km stretch. Possibly, but unlikely...

And they're hardly going to do an "Ennis Bypass" on this either. Junction 13 has been progressing rapidly, and the slip-roads (particularly onto the southbound stretch are clearly defined).

The tie-in work at Junction 14, I predict, will be the last part of the scheme to take place. The tie-in at Junction 12 is relatively simple, just removing a few crash barriors, tidying up the road, and removing the temporary signage. But junction 14 is quite complicated. If you're driving on the Fermoy bypass, I urge you to take a look...

Not only will they have to construct the last half of junction 14 (a process which is well under-way), but merging it with the Fermoy mainline is quite a challenge because of the way the crash barriors are aligned and the mainline diverges. It's quite an interesting engineering challenge actually. Not to mention the dozens of signs that will have to be removed and replaced (as all the signage - unlike at junction 12 - reflects the complete end of the motorway).

But junction 14 is quite complicated. If you're driving on the Fermoy bypass, I urge you to take a look...

Not only will they have to construct the last half of junction 14 (a process which is well under-way), but merging it with the Fermoy mainline is quite a challenge because of the way the crash barriors are aligned and the mainline diverges. It's quite an interesting engineering challenge actually. Not to mention the dozens of signs that will have to be removed and replaced (as all the signage - unlike at junction 12 - reflects the complete end of the motorway).

I thought about this for a few minutes and actually, it might not be so bad.

Traffic exiting the motorway at junction 14 presently has two choices: 1) exit closer to Fermoy on the Fermoy side of the overbridge; OR 2) exit at the Teagasc side of the overbridge (which is what almost everyone does).

That's a lot of luxury (i.e. room) for exiting traffic - two lanes, in fact, where only one is needed.

What they'll probably do is remove one of those choices: if you're on the M8 exiting at junction 14 you'll have to take the Fermoy-side exit; you won't be able to exit at the Teagasc side anymore, because half of that will be broken up. Incoming traffic will still enter at the same point, but because the outgoing traffic won't be exiting at that point also, the builders will have enough room to work away. It might actually be pretty painless after all.

As we all know, the southern half of this scheme (from junctions 13 to 14) is almost ready for the median and final coarse of asphalt.

Now it's time to reveal some photos of the northern half of the scheme. The builders have been intensively concentrating on this part for the past 6 weeks. The northern half of the scheme is the bit that effectively provides a motorway bypass of Mitchelstown itself.

• Advertisement

One more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement