Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

They've really been slogging away at the southern stretch for a while, nice to see them switching focus to northern section. I'd give it until around March until it's looking like the southern section.

Incidentally, two things:

1) Methinks it's time to update the M8 wikipedia page with some of your more recent pictures Furet.

2) This is more to do with Cullahill-Cashel, but I'm too lazy to go to that thread. On the Cashel Bypass, do the new motorway signs at junction 7 reflect the upcoming layout (i.e like the junction 12 ones). Or are they like the Fermoy ones (will need to be replaced). Just curious as I can't remember myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BluntGuy wrote: »
    1) Methinks it's time to update the M8 wikipedia page with some of your more recent pictures Furet.

I agree. Some of the newer pictures are nice and bright.
    2) This is more to do with Cullahill-Cashel, but I'm too lazy to go to that thread. On the Cashel Bypass, do the new motorway signs at junction 7 reflect the upcoming layout (i.e like the junction 12 ones). Or are they like the Fermoy ones (will need to be replaced). Just curious as I can't remember myself...

Yup, they're exactly the same as on the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme thankfully.

Furet wrote: »
    Yup, they're exactly the same as on the Cashel to Cullahill scheme thankfully.

Thank God for that. I had this horrible feeling that they'd put up signs on September 24th, that would have to be removed in December.

Anyway, it'll be a while before we see any signs on the Mitch-Fermoy stretch, but I've got my fingers crossed for June (though I would not be shocked if it went into August, even September).

Something tells me that won't happen though, as they're really ploughing into this stretch. Pity they don't seem as bothered on the M7/M8 scheme...

Works proceed at breakneck speed. The contractors have started to lay the concrete barrier median along the southern half of the route, while blacktop is being applied to the southbound carriageway of the northern half of the scheme as well.

Furet, do you know the progress at junction 13. Last time I was down there a few weeks ago, the southern end looked great, but facing north there was still a lot of earthworks going on. Has the situation changed?

• Advertisement

Furet, do you know the progress at junction 13. Last time I was down there a few weeks ago, the southern end looked great, but facing north there was still a lot of earthworks going on. Has the situation changed?

Yes, the situation has transformed completely. You won't believe it next time you drive by. It is fully laid out, the ramps are in place, and blacktop has been going down for the past week and a half. I can't really take photos though, because it would be dangerous to park up and get out. It's awfully busy. Maybe some Sunday when it's quiet I'll get a chance.

Yes, the situation has transformed completely. You won't believe it next time you drive by. It is fully laid out, the ramps are in place, and blacktop has been going down for the past week and a half. I can't really take photos though, because it would be dangerous to park up and get out. It's awfully busy. Maybe some Sunday when it's quiet I'll get a chance.

Yes I agree with that.

But it should hopefully calm down when it opens...

Btw, I have just realised, that the R639, for the most part, will be of a fantastic quality for a regional road. I may even zip along it myself just to experience it without all the traffic. With all these new roads opening, I'm sure the "classic" roads will become absolute pleasures to drive.

Btw, I have just realised, that the R639, for the most part, will be of a fantastic quality for a regional road. I may even zip along it myself just to experience it without all the traffic. With all these new roads opening, I'm sure the "classic" roads will become absolute pleasures to drive.

Not if Lennoxschips has his way ;)

Not if Lennoxschips has his way ;)

Oh, you mean instead of:
    BluntGuy wrote:
    I may even zip along it myself just to experience it without all the traffic.

It'll be:
    BluntGuy wrote:
    I may even trundle needlessly at 80 km/h along it myself just to experience it without all the traffic.

That doesn't sound anywhere near as fun. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

great to see the progress , i guess we will see this section open ahead of schedule like the other sections of the m8, so would july 09 be a estimated date it could be ready??

• Advertisement

ipodrocker wrote: »
    great to see the progress , i guess we will see this section open ahead of schedule like the other sections of the m8, so would july 09 be a estimated date it could be ready??

Based on progress, that's a sensible estimate. But I wouldn't be surprised if it slips back into August.

I'm calling June. Early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thats the bounds of our land there on the left of that picture, the last thing I expected to see on boards at 1:35am of a Wednesday.:o

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=60220&d=1217176318

I drove tractors for summer-work on most of these sections of road being discussed here over the last 3 years so it is nice to be driving on nice smooth motorways where previously they were only passable on a tractor. Makes me feel my age actually!

The speed of the work still amazes me, mountains of earth and stone literally picked up and moved, great learning experience for my chosen profession too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Yes I agree with that.

But it should hopefully calm down when it opens...

Get your roller-blades ready! ;)

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Thats the bounds of our land there on the left of that picture, the last thing I expected to see on boards at 1:35am of a Wednesday.:o

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=60220&d=1217176318

I drove tractors for summer-work on most of these sections of road being discussed here over the last 3 years so it is nice to be driving on nice smooth motorways where previously they were only passable on a tractor. Makes me feel my age actually!

The speed of the work still amazes me, mountains of earth and stone literally picked up and moved, great learning experience for my chosen profession too.

:) What a coincidence! I often nipped down that road over the summer to see how things were going. Lovely countryside down there. I like the trees - I hope they'll be staying there for another few years anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It's hard to imagine a greater waste of tax money than new motorways.

Húrin wrote: »

Try co-location... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Indeed

1. Saves lives
    2. Reduces massive congestion in regional towns
    3. Gets people from A to B faster
    4. Increases economic activity and efficiency
    5. Gives our construction industry work in these hard times.

Yep, what a waste.:rolleyes:

I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinions but please, not here. This is a great thread and I'd rather it didn't veer off topic. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You suggest leaving rural towns main streets snarled with traffic which is belching out fumes, then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

are u actually being serious...refer to the post by AugustusMaximus.

they save lives, reduce travel times, reduce congestion in towns, encourage investment in rural areas etc etc.....

and as furet said, this isnt the place...start a new thread if you actually want to debate this but i seriously doubt you will get anyone else to agree with you.

Works proceed at breakneck speed. The contractors have started to lay the concrete barrier median along the southern half of the route, while blacktop is being applied to the southbound carriageway of the northern half of the scheme as well.

I only noticed you said that now.

Even though work is now clearly focussed on the northbound section, I'm glad to see the southbound section isn't being ignored. How much of it has been laid btw?

Anyway, soon after the concrete median comes the final layer AFAIK...

Perhaps a sectional opening might be in store after all?

I only noticed you said that now.

Even though work is now clearly focussed on the northbound section, I'm glad to see the southbound section isn't being ignored. How much of it has been laid btw?

Anyway, soon after the concrete median comes the final layer AFAIK...

Perhaps a sectional opening might be in store after all?

They've started laying the barrier at junction 14, and have done down almost as far as the eye can see as you stand on the junction 14 overbridge. I'd imagine the recent cold snap slowed them down a bit.

They've started laying the barrier at junction 14, and have done down almost as far as the eye can see as you stand on the junction 14 overbridge. I'd imagine the recent cold snap slowed them down a bit.

Sounds great. If you can get an image, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I imagine no further tie-in work has been done to link it with the Fermoy bypass. I am looking forward to the day those two schemes are finally one. That may just be one of the most gratifying moments on this route.

On a side note:

I was - in a rare twist, it's not something I often do - going to video part of Cullahill-Cashel, but I've decided not to bother. I'll have to use the old road going up to Dublin and by the time I return the video will make no sense as it'll be dark. I will however, take the chance to see if I can spot any progress on the M7/M8 scheme (I sincerely doubt I will though).

Sounds great. If you can get an image, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I imagine no further tie-in work has been done to link it with the Fermoy bypass. I am looking forward to the day those two schemes are finally one. That may just be one of the most gratifying moments on this route.

I'll try to get a photo on Sunday, but realistically, I might not get a chance until the following weekend, by which time -- who knows? -- maybe the median will have made it to junction 13.

And you're right: no further tie-in work has started yet. I agree that the tie-in will be gratifying - it will make the entire scheme contiguous; whether built or being built, the M8 as a route will be unified.
    I was - in a rare twist, it's not something I often do - going to video part of Cullahill-Cashel, but I've decided not to bother. I'll have to use the old road going up to Dublin and by the time I return the video will make no sense as it'll be dark. I will however, take the chance to see if I can spot any progress on the M7/M8 scheme (I sincerely doubt I will though).

You'll see a skeletal overbridge south of Cullahill and the bare outline of some very modest earthworks and that'll be it. Unfortunately.

And you're right: no further tie-in work has started yet. I agree that the tie-in will be gratifying - it will make the entire scheme contiguous; whether built or being built, the M8 as a route will be unified.

That's the main thing. For some odd reason (maybe it's because it was built first), the M8 Fermoy Bypass feels like a complete different motorway to the Mitchelstown - Cullahill. It's weird, The C-C, C-M and C-B schemes all feel like one, but the F.B has never felt connected to them in any way (I don't just mean physically, they never felt like they were the same route).

It'll be a weird experience at first, driving all the way from Cork to Dublin without leaving the motorway at Fermoy. But I'm certainly not complaining...

Also, a bit off-topic but still in the general scheme of things: the NRA e-mail reportedly stated that they expect to have the Cashel MSA opened by the end of 2010. They made no reference to the other MSA. There are two possibilities for this: either (a) I gave the impression I was from Cashel/Cahir/South Tipp or (b) More progress has been made behind-the-scenes on the Cashel MSA than the Kilworth one.

I took advantage of the nice weather today and decided to go for a stroll on the mainline. I walked to just about one kilometre north of the J14 overbridge.

This section of the scheme cuts through some beautiful countryside and, unfortunately, some fairly precious habitat. It's being built on what seems to have been a mid- to late eighteenth-century Protestant Ascendency demesne landscape, so, as you'd expect, there are lots of individual trees (mostly lime and oak), plenty of woodland (of larch, Scots' Pine, alder, ash and willow), copses, dells and glades, as well as a beautiful river running through a wooded hollow. I was glad to see that mitigation works have been added: I noticed an otter pass incorporated beneath the mainline, and there were numerous fences and signs indicating ecologically sensitive areas.

I then went for a short drive to Junction 13 and managed to get some pictures - so BluntGuy should be happy.

Some more.

And Junction 13...

As you can see, earthworks are substantially complete here.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy is happy... :D

And he is also quite surprised (and he's also going to stop referring to himself in the third person as of this sentence!)

In all honesty, judging from your image from the J14 overbridge, much of the scheme seems to be ready for the final layer of tar. I really didn't expect them to have the median done. It really is remarkable progress in the space of a year. Every week something significant is done on that scheme (compare that to Cullahill-Portlaoise scheme where comparing pictures taken months apart is akin to playing the world's most difficult game of "spot the difference".)

Anyway, when was Cullahill scheme at this stage? Was it last June perhaps? I wouldn't be surprised if I drove by in January and they had started lining the place.

This really is the missing link the M8, the M8's "cumberland gap" so-to-speak. It's good to see it moving along so fast. Hopefully, next year will be another great year for the M8. We had 83 km of it created (17 km through redesignation) over the last year or so, and next year we'll hopefully have another 29 km or so to add onto that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement